News LudoNarraCon Stats (Indie Game convention hosted entirely on Steam)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i'm just going to quote-paste the entire thread because twitter embeds are a mess ... but here's the thread i'm quoting

Am gonna be dropping some #LudoNarraCon stats in this thread through the weekend I'm advance of a full on infographic data dump article we'll post in a couple of weeks.

First up, by the end of the live panels, 160k people had visited the event page on Steam

Peak viewership of the panels during the live period was a little over 5,000 concurrents. That's more than 20 times what these panels might get at a major gaming convention. And that's just the live session, each panel is going to loop 15 times before the end of the convention.

Need to do more work looking at the demo side of things but the infinite bandwidth of a digital format is definitely working. At one point I checked @neocabgame demo data and 25 people were playing concurrently. At a physical show we could have a max of maybe 4.

Obviously there are some qualitative aspects from physical events that a digital event cannot achieve, but it looks like our hunch that a digital event on Steam could surpass them on every quantitative metric seems to be holding up #LudoNarraCon

I'm back. and we have some wishlist and individual store page data now. Let's start with wishlists. We have four coming soon games on the @FellowTravellr label that are exhibiting. All four got more than 1000 new wishlists so far (approx 14 hours of data).

Day one of #LudoNarraCon is our second best day of wishlist additions in the last year and our 10th best day of all time. Considering big spikes in wishlists are typically for released games that are on sale or getting heavy launch traffic this is a big deal

Each of our four upcoming games that are exhibiting at #ludonarracon got more than 5k visitors to their store page "booths" in the first 14 hours. it's unclear how the traffic flow will change over the rest of the event but at this rate they would break 30k.

Two of our games had more than 17k visitors each today. If they keep up that pace then they will crack 100k.

One big question / motivation for #ludonarracon was doing something that could reach a global audience. Turns out we are. Here's the list of top countries so far based on the google analytics for the event page

Last snippet of data for now - after a bit over 48 hours of the show we are between 1.5k - 3k per game on demo activations. The data we get on playtime shows at least 20-30% of people that activated have played & the concurrent players have fluctuated between 4 & 30

We're going to do some deep dives on data this week and put out a bunch of infographics and evaluations of how it all went.
and thanks to Nabs for the link to the thread :cat-heart-blob:

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
I feel like a lot of that gain over physical cons is accessibility (e.g. the logistics of having to travel so much, cost, waiting times, etc.). I've always been disappointed when cons don't have a livestream to accompany them, although it's probably a big cost factor.

I'm sure there are some sacrifices if you switch over to completely virtual (e.g. cosplay and fan booths), but I feel like for a niche like this, it's perfect, especially with Steam advertising.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I feel like a lot of that gain over physical cons is accessibility (e.g. the logistics of having to travel so much, cost, waiting times, etc.). I've always been disappointed when cons don't have a livestream to accompany them, although it's probably a big cost factor.

I'm sure there are some sacrifices if you switch over to completely virtual (e.g. cosplay and fan booths), but I feel like for a niche like this, it's perfect, especially with Steam advertising.
yeah, exactly ... it might not be a good thing for AA or AAA (although - i'd argue even then :p) ... but it's DEFINITELY a much better experience for indie devs than PAX etc.

i really do hope volvo does stuff like that more often ... it's SUCH a cool thing

or imagine if they did Dev Days entirely on steam - how cool would that be?!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm honestly not sure why they don't do at least some Dev Day stuff on Steam already. It's so weird having to see what they're up to secondhand. They already hide enough on their random blog posts almost nobody sees!
yeah, exactly ... they absolutely should be showing more of that stuff on the main page or something

and yeah - i'm definitely hoping they'll at least consider doing Dev Days the same way as LudoNarraCon ... at least for the talks or something ... that's what most devs were going there for anyway

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I already said in the LudoNarraCon thread that if this event was well recieved, seen as a good use of time and energy and raises awareness then Valve would be mad not to put together regular events. They could have seasonal themed events, genre events, devs from particular country etc. The scope for carrying this forward is huge.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I already said in the LudoNarraCon thread that if this event was well recieved, seen as a good use of time and energy and raises awareness then Valve would be mad not to put together regular events. They could have seasonal themed events, genre events, devs from particular country etc. The scope for carrying this forward is huge.
yeah, exactly ... there's SO MANY things they can do with that stuff

and it's kind of smart too because it "protects" them from some devs complaining about volvo picking "winners" (if they ever decided to do their "directs") ... because those events are organized by the devs themselves ... volvo only give them a platform to host it

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Like the concept of a convention tied directly to the platform, good way to connect the games to the streaming, and if you want to check the games out, no need to go to 3 different places, just go to the game page that it's right there and that's it, I hope this concept keeps improving, would love to see more experimentation with this new ways of connecting developers with audience.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Like the concept of a convention tied directly to the platform, good way to connect the games to the streaming, and if you want to check the games out, no need to go to 3 different places, just go to the game page that it's right there and that's it, I hope this concept keeps improving, would love to see more experimentation with this new ways of connecting developers with audience.
same ... absolutely

it's just SUCH a great idea

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Im glad it was such a success. While i dont find valve a great application to watch streams on, for this kind of thing I'd be onboard for more.