|OT| Meta-Nourishment - La bouffe sans Teflon

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So let me start, the easiest food to cook HAS TO BE Couscous right? Boil water in a kettle and pour it over the Couscous and wait awhile and its done.:D
ramen noodles are pretty easy to make too :p

(also - i don't think you need that "OT" in the name as well ... since it's already in the prefix :p)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I actually bought some instant noodles the other day, I should heat up a bowl. Extra spicy! If you are not sweating when you are eating noodles you aren't doing it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
This is my easy lunch:

Big handful of cold rice cooked in bone broth. Big glop of whatever fat you've got around (I like pork lard, but coconut/olive/avocado oil works well too). A tin of good sardines with the water drained. A smallish chunk of goat cheese. Some horseradish. Pinch of salt and some cracked black pepper. All goes in a small pot to lightly warm it up, melt the fat, soften the cheese, just get it all mixed together. Healthy, high calorie, and very portable if it needs to go in a lunch bag.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Easy Japanese curry.

Wash rice, put in rice cooker and turn on. Walk away for 20 minutes.

Boil bag in Water for 5 minutes or Microwave even quicker.

Add meat, even just chicken in a pouch/can lol.

Quick, easy. Yummy.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
My go to dinners are:

Grilled meat (Usually fish or chicken) with grilled veggies (Such as Green Beans and Paprika) some potatoes (Cooked, grilled or baked) and some premade spicy sauce.
Miracoli with some grilled sausage innit
Asparagus rolls with sauce hollandaise
Cordon Bleu or Schnitzel with mashed potato and creamy cauliflower
Meatballs with mashed potato, red cabbage and gravy
White bean soup with a bunch of other veggies, potato and mettwurst

I actually really enjoy cooking, but as a single guy with no other mouth to feed, i end up throwing a lot away when i make bigger meals like Lasagna, Gratin or Goulash so i rarely make them, of course the time investment being another reason. :SuspiciousKawakami:

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
I actually really enjoy cooking, but as a single guy with no other mouth to feed, i end up throwing a lot away when i make bigger meals like Lasagna, Gratin or Goulash so i rarely make them, of course the time investment being another reason.
The things you mentioned are all pretty good for reheating (and I guess you have a fridge lol). I'd even go so far and say lasagna, gratin, and/or goulash all taste better when reheated. Or curries, or casseroles in general :blobdrool:

But neither I nor my SO have a problem with eating the same meal two or three days in a row, I know some people IRL who do. But just freeze it then.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Cooking is relaxing.

How's everyone's tolerance for hot/spicy food? I put chilli in everything.

Last week I made Mapo tofu. Below is not my picture, but something close to it.

This week I made a stir-fry with prawns and garlic shoots. I wish I could eat this every day, but King prawns are expensive :02cry:

I want to try making gyu tan don next, but the issue is to find a butcher shop which stocks ox tongue.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Love spicy food, the spicier the better! Have had up to Carolina Reapers hot (co-worker grows them). Edit: Not that I have had them raw though!!! That would be crazy hot :fireblob:

I really want to try to make kransekake!

Though it uses special pans unless you have major skills to freehand the rings. I want to practice and maybe make it for the holiday family gatherings.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Love spicy food. Especially spicy curries. I keep a stock of spicy peppers to put on just about anything. Since I found out my local grocery store has inexpensive jars of these from Turkey, my mouth has been on fire. Bolognese pasta? Sure. Stews? Why not. Curry? Of course. Sandwiches? Yup.

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The things you mentioned are all pretty good for reheating (and I guess you have a fridge lol). I'd even go so far and say lasagna, gratin, and/or goulash all taste better when reheated. Or curries, or casseroles in general :blobdrool:

But neither I nor my SO have a problem with eating the same meal two or three days in a row, I know some people IRL who do. But just freeze it then.
Well, i do mind eating the same meal more than twice in a row. But it's not just about the finished thing, its also about some of the ingredients that go to waste too, the veggies mostly.

I don't put chili into everything, but i love spicy food.
Had a 1 million scoville currywurst just a few months ago.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Even as a Japanese I find soy sauce to a bit much sometimes, it's just soooo salty. I do use it for cooking a lot, many sauces, gravies, and such require it. If I do use Soy Sauce I tend to skip adding salt separately for the rest of the meal.

That said, growing up we had to skip Soy Sauce and go for Tamari instead because my Papa is gluten sensitive. Tamari is a little less salty, but more rich in flavor than traditional Chinese Soy Sauce/ Japanese Shoyu. So maybe that explains why I don't really like the saltyness of traditional Soy sauces.

Next time y'all poking around the Asian markets, try to find some Tamari yourself and see if you can tell the difference! 👨‍🍳

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hello food people

I just have a question on Rice cookers, specifically cooking wholemeal rice. Does wholemeal rice generally take longer than normal rice to cook? as i did some the other day and it came out slightly underdone when usually the rice comes out perfect. Should i be adding more water to the rice cooker? Im not really sure how it works, there are no settings, its just turn it on and wait till its done.

Cheers.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
This is my go to easy dish. I can replace the protein with chicken, sausage, shrimp, mushroom, etc.

I usually have it for my lunch these days.

Cooking is relaxing.

It's not edible if it's not spicy.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I got introduced to a bunch of food stuff in the homeless shelter but the one thing that I loved and still buy and put on everything is

It has replaced my tabasco habits. It doesn't really have a taste profil like tabasco but its strong but not too strong. Also best part its much cheaper but since its like a pure one tends to use much more.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
COOL THREAD that I missed somehow!!

I'm Italian but kinda hate cooking Italian food. On the other hand, I love cooking Asian!
I have never been exposed to actual Asian people cooking, so I have no idea if I'm doing things right, but I have so much fun with a wok, and sometimes I manage to blow myself away. 😄

Speaking of spicy, I'm utterly in love with this:

I'm especially fond of the severe look of the lady. SHE MEANS BUSINESS I TELL YA

Things I do best:

Kakuni
Japanese braised pork belly that takes forever to cook, so it's not like I do it all the time.
Tried first in an upscale izakaya in Kyōto, I was like OMFG OMFGOMFG, which is the only appropriate response.

Jianbing
Basically a Chinese crêpe with eggs, some sweet-ish sauce (like hoisin) and fried wonton strips inside.
Tried just once at a hole-in-the-wall vendor in Flushing, NYC, and I loved it. It's pretty easy actually, once you get the thickness right.

Guotie (or Gyōza)
Classic dumplings, but pot-fried. They are EXCELLENT, but I wish I had a larger pot to cook them in, because mine can only fit about 25, which is, like, a children portion.
Served with the classic trio of: light soy sauce, black rice vinegar, chilli oil.
(Damn I don't have a pic of them around, so I'll just drop one found on Wiki)

Things I really need to do:
  1. Purchase a rice cooker, because doing it in the pot is just an unnecessary chore.
  2. Figure out how to properly season and clean a steel wok (mine is a non-stick one, which feels a bit like cheating, I dunno)

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Copons haha yeah that lady, she doesn't kid around. I have to keep a look out for that. How do you use it? Like an oil?

There are a few Asian only stores in Paris so I'm sure it should be easy to find it.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Copons haha yeah that lady, she doesn't kid around. I have to keep a look out for that. How do you use it? Like an oil?

There are a few Asian only stores in Paris so I'm sure it should be easy to find it.
It should be reasonably easy to find in Paris.
AFAIK the Laoganma brand is one of the major ones in China. It's widespread enough here in the UK (and I don't live in London), and I know it's sold in Italy as well.

I generally use it as a dip for dumplings, or to add some spiciness to stir-fries, either while cooking or after.

The weird thing about that specific product (crispy chilli oil), is that it's like 30% oil and 70% crispy stuff (chilli, garlic, some kind of nuts — which also means: double-check the ingredients if you have intolerances).
So, the oil usually finishes super early, and then I'm left with all that stuff which... I really love! Like, I sometimes go there with a spoon and eat it like it was nutella or something. 😄

Reactions: Le Pertti

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
So what is everyone's guilty pleasure when you are too lazy?
Omelette!
Super quick, easy, and tasty, and it doesn't (necessarily) include all the stuff I'm not supposed to eat to prevent my liver to make me diabetic (pretty much anything worth eating).

---

If I had to choose a proper guilty pleasure though, it's the simplest pasta recipe ever, but spun out of control from the countless of times I've cooked it at 4am, while completely trashed.

The base recipe would be spaghetti with (olive) oil, garlic, and chilli pepper flakes: just boil the pasta; stir fry the garlic (whole) until golden; put the pasta in the garlicky oil and add the chilli pepper. DONE!

But then why not also add some breadcrumbs to make it crunchier (it needs much more oil though)?
But then... why not also add canned tuna (in olive oil, for heaven's sake)?
And what about some nice berbere spice mix (origin: Ethiopia, but common enough in Rome, maybe for the colonial past? dunno)
So...

• Boil pasta.
  • Heat oil, then add garlic whole or in big chunks - just not chopped.
  • Drain the tuna and add it to the oil (careful, because it will most certainly explode, so keep a lid handy!)
  • Eventually put the pasta in the oil with tuna and garlic.
  • Add breadcrumbs, and chilli pepper and/or berbere (they are both spicy).
  • Stir well, wait a bit for the pasta to get crunchy, and serve.

If you're really, really drunk: serve with mayonnaise on top, but never tell it to Italian people.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
made some sausage and pepper soup tonight and it really impressed! extremely good and very little work or time involved.

used this recipe but swapped out mushrooms for tofu cause i didn't have and i figured it'd also make the soup more filling:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think it's possible to be more LTTP than this but I fucking love pepper! Little expensive though, I used to cheap seasoning but pepper was like double in price.
Ehhhh... apple and orange, but if we talk about pricey ingredients I would suggest... vanilla !
I just did some Panna Cotta the other day. Ultra simple and cheap. Until you go for the two little 'branches' of fucking vanilla in the store. Nearly 5 euros a pop. That's some pricey Panna Cotta, all right.

Gonna try a recipe with vanilla extract, 1.5 euros for a little vial :tightly-closed-eyes:

Saffron too, is a known pricey ingredient.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Ehhhh... apple and orange, but if we talk about pricey ingredients I would suggest... vanilla !
I just did some Panna Cotta the other day. Ultra simple and cheap. Until you go for the two little 'branches' of fucking vanilla in the store. Nearly 5 euros a pop. That's some pricey Panna Cotta, all right.

Gonna try a recipe with vanilla extract, 1.5 euros for a little vial :tightly-closed-eyes:

Saffron too, is a known pricey ingredient.
I just meant its more expensive than I'm used to, so of course there are lots lots more expensive stuff. But still it was like 10 euro for a large container, should last me awhile!

I need to start trying out more spices!

Speaking of spices, I tried one of those ginger juices, think its an African drink and oh man does it burn but so goooood!

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah hence the apple and orange thing, my post wasn't meant to belittle your opinion about pepper.
Though 10 euros ? Are you buying pepper by the kg ? :tightly-closed-eyes:

Speaking about foreign drink, I still have to try Yerba Mate :weary-face:

Reactions: Le Pertti

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
But what pepper are we talking about?
I like most of them (not a fan of pink and green), and had a psychedelic experience the first time I tried to eat Sichuan peppercorns raw (it felt like eating 10 lemons, plus the sour taste took like 20 minutes to go away :face-with-tears-of-joy:).

Speaking about foreign drink, I still have to try Yerba Mate :weary-face:
I've bought the whole shebang (gourd+bombilla+a crapton of mate) a few years ago when I went to Buenos Aires for work, but as it turned out I wasn't able to appropriately take care of the gourd, which got moldy after like 2 uses. Then I've lost everything in a move. :(
As it's an acquired taste, 2 uses are not nearly enough to appreciate it.