|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im cool with Nocturne Remastered, never played any Shin Megami games before, so might as well try that out and co0l with some SMTV news.

However, the rest of 2020 looks empty for me in regards to Switch releases. Other than a Metroid Prime collection and Mario Sunshine Remastered thereæs nothing for me.

Never played mroe than a few min of Cadende of Hyrule so right no I don't care about any DLCs.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Decided this weekend to play through some backwards compatible games on my Xbox X or at least, play what I can.

Currently on Shadows of the Damned and despite the jankyness and framerate, it's really cool.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Started Shin Megami Tensei on switch with NSO JP. Let's see how long I can last.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Oh wow, that’s on the NSO collection now? I’ll have to give it a look just for novelty’s sake.
Only on Japanese NSO. It is included in the latest update (15 July). In hindsight, they may have put it on there due to the incoming announcements. The mini direct news posted at the news channel on switch also asks players to try the original game on NSO.

Reactions: beep boop
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished Shadows of the Damned on my Xbox .

It was pretty good, some jankyness and low framerate, difficulty to aim, especially at fast enemies, but prety good game overall, super wacky and weird. 7.5/10.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Tried a few other BC games on my Xbox X yesterday:

Too Human - extremely mediocre
Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious - played through the "campaign", was really good
The Darkness - wanted to play it, but aiming was difficulty and the combat was not really good, so I quit

I have now left Ninja Gaiden 2 (game pass) and 3, MGS HD Collection + Peace Walker, KH 2.8 (game pass) Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Crackdown 1 and 2 and Castlevania Symphony and Harmony.

So not much, but not really interested in playing any of them right now, so will be another time.

Reactions: Pommes
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just realized that the future confirmed lineup for PS4, PS5 and Switch is super barren right now. Only confirmed thing is Spidey Miles for PS5 launch (everything else seems to be "launch window") and Nintendo don't have anything confirmed for the rest of 2020.

While PC/Xbox is pretty packed.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
If those rumors about Microsoft razing the paywall for online multiplayer turn out to be true, I'm really worried for Sony. I don't think they could actually afford to try and tough it out without the PS+ revenue at this point.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If those rumors about Microsoft razing the paywall for online multiplayer turn out to be true, I'm really worried for Sony. I don't think they could actually afford to try and tough it out without the PS+ revenue at this point.
Sony will be fine. If PS+ becomes harder to justify they will transition a portion of their customers to PS Now, or transform PS+ into something else.

PlayStation hardware is profitable, games on PSN are profitable. PS+ is obviously a big moneymaker but Sony isn't below copying their competitors when they've been successful. PS Now could very easily be equivalent to Game Pass if they wanted it to be.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Except Game Pass isn't a moneymaker, it's throwing money at gaining market share. Sony hasn't been in a position of being able to throw money at market share for a while now.
Game Pass won't make money as long as they are giving subscriptions away for a third of the price.

Sony haven't been anywhere near as generous with PS Now subs. Admittedly, they probably can't afford to be.

Still, MS dropping online subs doesn't mean they're in trouble. They have a solid first party lineup and a loyal fanbase. Even the PS3 albatross sold similar numbers to Xbox 360, eventually. Plus they hold sway with third parties to secure exclusives.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Still, MS dropping online subs doesn't mean they're in trouble. They have a solid first party lineup and a loyal fanbase. Even the PS3 albatross sold similar numbers to Xbox 360, eventually. Plus they hold sway with third parties to secure exclusives.
I hope you're right.

Personally, about 90 % of games that I enjoy these days are only made possible by the figurative pennies falling under the table while on top of it so much money is wasted on obnoxious mass-market BS, so even though I pretty much hate every super-popular game out there right now, I want the bonanza to continue for as long as possible.

Reactions: Aaron D.
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Rented Kirby Star Allies from a friend, have had it on my wishlist for 2 years or so, been on the edge of buying it many times.

Good thing I didn't, game is uninteresting and really boring, plays like all other Kirby games Ive played. Maybe that's to be expected, but it's really dissapointed as I really enjoyed Epic Yarn. Rainbow Curse and Adventure on Wii. Also own Planet Robobot, but haven't played it.

Will probably quit in world 3. I also don't like how chaotic boss battles are in the game with me + 3 cpu players.

Edit: Managed to finish it, but had to push myself, the fact that it's short helped a lot.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I’ve been playing Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise. I’m 6 hours in and I still feel like I’m at the tutorial, which is weird since the main story is supposed to be 20 hours total.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Sony report. Growth growth growth.

Also, this will ruffle some feathers.
74 percent of software sales were full game software digital downloads, compared to 53 percent the previous year.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Need external HDD for PS4. Anyone have one they use? If not, probably going to pick up a 2.5 inch that runs off 2x USB ports.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have 2 vouchers still, so Im considering picking up Pokemon Sword and Paper Mario, but not sure. Pokemon has been out for almost 1 year, but never on sale an I wish I could just get it on sale.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Need external HDD for PS4. Anyone have one they use? If not, probably going to pick up a 2.5 inch that runs off 2x USB ports.
when i had a ps4 i used the wd black external but really any usb3 hdd is fine

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have 2 vouchers still, so Im considering picking up Pokemon Sword and Paper Mario, but not sure. Pokemon has been out for almost 1 year, but never on sale an I wish I could just get it on sale.
I would suggest waiting for a nintendo direct. We all know there is one coming as they have no games on the horizon.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Be aware that Nintendo doesn’t give a heads up before they expire.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Be aware that Nintendo doesn’t give a heads up before they expire.
I know, Im doing a "check-up" about twice every week to make sure I still have time left to decide what to use the vouchers on. It sucks that they expire after 1 year, they should really never expire imo, it's pretty anti-consumer to not only have them expire, but also not being notified either through a Switch notification somewhere or through mail that they are about to expire. Nintendo just suck at online and ecosystem stuff imo, thanksfully it's cheap, if it costed more I wouldn't have subbed, I mean, the price that it is currently at for 1 year feels bad enough.

Currently the choices are:

Xenoblade Chronicles - it looks good, but Ive played it already via Wii U backwards compatibility, so I have it on my wishlist to remember getting it someday when Im in the mood for it
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions - looks cool, never played it, but not that interested right now
Pokemon Sword - interested
Paper Mario - interested, but skeptical as Ive never played a Paper Mario before and read "mixed" reception about the combat system

Otherwise I currently own the Nintendo exclusives I care about/interested in.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I know, Im doing a "check-up" about twice every week to make sure I still have time left to decide what to use the vouchers on. It sucks that they expire after 1 year, they should really never expire imo, it's pretty anti-consumer to not only have them expire, but also not being notified either through a Switch notification somewhere or through mail that they are about to expire. Nintendo just suck at online and ecosystem stuff imo, thanksfully it's cheap, if it costed more I wouldn't have subbed, I mean, the price that it is currently at for 1 year feels bad enough.

Currently the choices are:

Xenoblade Chronicles - it looks good, but Ive played it already via Wii U backwards compatibility, so I have it on my wishlist to remember getting it someday when Im in the mood for it
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions - looks cool, never played it, but not that interested right now
Pokemon Sword - interested
Paper Mario - interested, but skeptical as Ive never played a Paper Mario before and read "mixed" reception about the combat system

Otherwise I currently own the Nintendo exclusives I care about/interested in.
I’d go for TMS and Paper Mario

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I’d go for TMS and Paper Mario
I'm having a blast with Paper Mario. I'm not super far, but it's adorable. The dialogue is really funny without being cheesy or dorky. I can see why reviews are mixed about the combat -- it's definitely different. It's turn based, of course, but I'm meh on the fact that you have to make your turn within a time limit, and it's puzzle based. But if you don't see the solution right away, you can spend coins to increase the time, and I just got a buff item that increases all times. Hoping to see the first boss today if I can carve out some time to play!

• Love
Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

But I already own it on my Wii U which is fully functional.

I have not bought a single Switch game that I own on Wii U too and have no intention to. The high price on Nintendo games doesn't help either.

Hopefully they will announce something that is not a port for the rest of 2020. Like Im not getting any of the rumored Mario remastered games with the exception of Sunshine because I haven't played Sunshine yet.

Last edited:

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
All the Pikmin games are fantastic. So if you haven't played 3 already I highly recommend it. For me, I still have to hope some good new Nintendo games will be out before the end of the year.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I think I got Pikmin 3 for free when they gave games away when buying Mario Kart 8 but never got around to play it and I dont have my WiiU anymore so I guess it is a nice opportunity to buy it.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Boy Nintendo doesn't fuck around with their Remaster/Re release pricing do they?

Reminds me of the stupid Disney 'Vault' shit from the 90s. Nintendo and Disney have the same portion of irrational and rabid fans willing to pay ANYTHING for this shit too. Hell, their motto should be 'Eternal Payment'

I don't see myself owning a nintendo console for a long long time. If ever.

And good lord at the super vocal minority of nintendo switch owner who generate endless hype over the Nintendo Directs. Become a more well rounded person or something.

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Boy Nintendo doesn't fuck around with their Remaster/Re release pricing do they?

Reminds me of the stupid Disney 'Vault' shit from the 90s. Nintendo and Disney have the same portion of irrational and rabid fans willing to pay ANYTHING for this shit too. Hell, their motto should be 'Eternal Payment'

I don't see myself owning a nintendo console for a long long time. If ever.

And good lord at the super vocal minority of nintendo switch owner who generate endless hype over the Nintendo Directs. Become a more well rounded person or something.
Yeah these remaster should be 30 AT MOST.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah these remaster should be 30 AT MOST.
Exactly.

You just know that with the Switch 2 nintendo is going to pull this bullshit all over again. Why BC when you can charge out the ass for it and have people buy stupid plastic mini snes toys?