|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Klavier

Jan 23, 2021
I originally intended to buy a PS5, had one in my cart and everything but then thought: "all I really want to play is Demon's Souls and I'm not sure if I want to pay $750 CAD just for that".

Not sure if I regret it yet, really. I'd love to play the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm not willing to throw down that amount of money when I'm spending way more time on PC/Switch these days than anything else.

Lashley

One more thing...
I originally intended to buy a PS5, had one in my cart and everything but then thought: "all I really want to play is Demon's Souls and I'm not sure if I want to pay $750 CAD just for that".

Not sure if I regret it yet, really. I'd love to play the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm not willing to throw down that amount of money when I'm spending way more time on PC/Switch these days than anything else.
Yeah, You're best off waiting for more exclusives or whatever to be on it first, instead of the one.

Reactions: Klavier
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Exact same. I feel guilty, people desperate for one and I haven't used mine in like 3 weeks.
PS5 feels like a double-edged sword to me.

I've been wanting to buy a PS5 since launch and I still really want one.

Yet the only game I will be buying and playing when I get the PS5 is Demon's Souls Remake and when Im done with it it will most likely just dust down until Sackboy and Miles goes on a good sale as I don't wanna pay full price for them and when those are done, I will have to wait for a sale on Returnal and Ratchet which will probably take some time to get on a good sale and those games are still long way from releasing.

So If I got a PS5 this coming week I guess I would use about 2 weeks on Demons Souls and then the machine will be useless for months as I don't see a sale for Sackboy and Miles will appear anytime soon.

If DeS was on PC I wouldn't have cared about the PS5 until Horizon or Ragnarok.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If I get a PS5, I am waiting for a refinement. Sony has a reputation for noisy hot launch systems that break down years later for one reason or another and I'm not trusting them to have changed that with PS5.

I remember my launch PS2 had disc read errors, my launch PS3 had YLOD, and my launch PS4 was so loud that I had to wear headphones to play any games on it.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Also, I don't see myself getting a PS5 anytime soon due to the stock shortages, I actually don't see the stock shortage problems starting to get solved until fall 21, so fall 21/early 22 is when I can see myself buying one.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Today was my last day of PS Plus before automatic renovation of membership happens, I deactivated it like at 12 AM EST / 10 PM PST Feb 13, am I fucked and I will be charged or not?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I was soooooo close to get an RE event key in The Division 2, I just had to level up once more and I only had 25% to go on that level.XD But had to go to class and the event ends.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
They better show Botw2 and Bayonetta 3:jj_mofo:

Also, please show Monolith Soft new title. Please?

Edit: Hopefully we can see some games on Queen's list, too!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
No idea.
I thought it was all just wishful thinking and fan-dreams but given all the supply and logistics issues at the moment due to Covid and Scalpers i hope they don't release it until things have stabilised. If there even is a Switch Pro or whatever it's called I'm not going to fight bots, scalpers and limited supply at the moment. I'll just work through my existing library.

There's always a chance but ... i'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Cacher

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I don't know if the Switch Pro will be announced tomorrow, but I reckon if it exists, it'll release the same day as BOTW2. It would be a very good fit for a flagship game.

• This!

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
A new Switch revision will probably be announced later once the special edition Switches for Super Mario 3D World and Monster Hunter Rise have been sold. Nintendo would want to focus on selling those to customers before they announce a new Switch revision. So sometime after March or April.

If this is really coming this year then perhaps we'll get some leaks of it earlier.

Reactions: Pommes and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Time for Direct predictions (non-educated. I know nothing)

Expectation:
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Smash new character
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  • Dark Souls II port
  • Bayonetta 3

Hope:
  • Monolith Soft new project
  • Breath of the Wild 2
  • Shin Sakura Wars port

Dream:
  • Live A Live remake
  • Skies of Arcadia remake/remaster

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I think Mario + Rabbids 2 will show up. I hope it does since it was unexpectedly one of the best strategy games I've played in years.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot it. I think someone said rabbids' twitter account had some changes lately? It hints a sequel is coming.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Looks like some people leaked the content of the direct. Be careful with spoilers.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Pyra in Smash
Mythra in Smash
Gramps as a level
Other chars as support
Coming in March?

Fall Guys Switch
Outer Wilds Switch
Two Famicom Detective games coming to Switch - The Missing Heir and The Girl who Stands Behind.
Samurai Warriors 5 musou coming to Switch

Legend of Mana remastered HD coming to Switch - June 24th
Swap between Rearranged and Original Orchestrations. Other QOL too.

Monster Hunter Rise - March 26th
Has Deluxe Switch and Pro Controller designs too.

Mario Golf Super Rush - Coming to Switch. I might get this - June 25th.
Has new "Speed Golf" MP mode where you race against others to get to the next shot.

Tales From Borderlands - March 24
Capcom 32 game Arcade Collection - Later today.
Stubbes The Zombie - March 16th
No More Heroes 3 - Travis Touchdown vs Aliens
Neon White from Anapurna - Slay Demons in Heaven, has Card Game touches - Winter 2021
DC Super Hero Girls - Teen Power - June 4th
Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighbourville Complete Edition - March 24th?
Miitopia! - May 21st
Animal Crossing - Super Mario 35 Anniversary items coming - Update on Feb 25th - Items in Nook Shop from March 1st
Project Triangle Strategy (Working Title) - "The Saltiron War" - Looks like Octopath Tactical RPG - 2022 launch, Demo available later today.
Star Wars Hunters - 2021 - Competitive F2P
Knockout City - Multiplayer Thingy.
Worlds' End Club - Danganronpa Devs - Sidescroller with VN stuff.
Hades Physical version - includes PC Download code for OST, 32 Page Colour character Compendium - March 19th
Ninja Gaiden Master Collection - Sigma editions of 1, 2 & 3 includes all DLC - summer 2021
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass - More content coming.
Bravely Default 2 - Feb 26th - Trailer after presentation.
Ghost and Goblins Resurrection - Includes local co-op - Feb 25th
Saga Frontier Remastered - New protagonist, new scenario & QOL - Feb 16th
Apex Legends coming to Switch - March 9th

Oh, Aonuma's up! No news on BOTW2, more info planned later this year.
While you wait though Skyward Sword HD is coming to Switch - July 16th
Skyward Sword Joycon designs - July 16th
lol, i'm paraphrasing but "Those of you who are new to the series please try it, it had some of the ideas that were used in BOTW so give it a whirl."

Last up...
Splatoon 3!
... 2022 :dabblob:

Last edited:
Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
They said games for 1st half of this year yet they still showed several 2022 games.

BOTW2 is probably 2023 at this point. Or maybe they are waiting for more powerful Switch b4 doing big unveil for it.

No SMTV or Bayo 3 either.

Average direct at best imo but it was necessary with all the 3rd party games.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Nothing on MegaTen, huh? Ah well, it's not like the heat death of the universe is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Two Famicom Detective games coming to Switch - The Missing Heir and The Girl who Stands Behind.
Ooh, nice. I had the opportunity to play the SNES remake of the second game (The Girl who Stands Behind) last year, and it's a charming little whodunit. Think of it like a proto Ace Attorney of sorts. I'm keen to play the first one.

Reactions: C-Dub

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
They said games for 1st half of this year yet they still showed several 2022 games.

BOTW2 is probably 2023 at this point. Or maybe they are waiting for more powerful Switch b4 doing big unveil for it.

No SMTV or Bayo 3 either.

Average direct at best imo but it was necessary with all the 3rd party games.
Nah, BOTW2 is probably 2022. They don't need to re-build an engine and mechanics this time so it should have taken less time for development, but covid got them.

No SMTV and Bayo 3 are pretty surprising to me. Splatoon 3 is exciting but 2022 is still very far. Yeah, it's a pretty average direct overall.

Edit: Skyward Sword is one of my favorite in the franchise, but I will probably wait a bit to get the HD remaster because I still have very clear memories of the original game.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Will we have to use a scalping bot to buy hardware from now on ? :thinking-blob:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Not sure if there is any Splatoon players here, but if you haven't played this game... PLAY IT! It is fucking fantastic. Still many players around for matching, too.

Also:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Not sure if there is any Splatoon players here, but if you haven't played this game... PLAY IT! It is fucking fantastic. Still many players around for matching, too.

Also:
Mmh, I found the leveling super slow myself. And of course stupid Nintendo being stupid, I lost all those hours of play when I bought my Switch 1.5
:neutral-face:

• Sad

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Was hoping Nintendo would serve us some new old Zelda but they gave us Skyward Sword, one of those games I never want to play again 😭

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
After sleeping on the Nindy direct I feel it was overall a boring and quite uninteresting direct. I will consider gettong Skyward Sword HD as I never finished it on Wii, but games like MH Rise, Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3, Triangle Square game I don't remember the name of will I wait and see if a PC version appears.

Not much on the horizon for me really. Still considering grabbing Mario All Stars and 3D World, but the problem with 3D World is that I played it to death on my Wii U, so Im not sure if Bowsers Fury is worth it really. And with All Stars I feel unsure if it worth full price when emulating Mario 64 and Sunshine is really easy and Ive already played Mario Galaxy (both of them). If Mario 64 and Sunshine was remakes or something I would have bought it.

Dammit Nintendo, you are making things hard for me.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Rogue Agent

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I think I read that Sunshine port wasn't good. Anyone can confirm ?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think I read that Sunshine port wasn't good. Anyone can confirm ?
I've only played a handful of levels, but it seemed okay if somewhat barebones. It still drops frames now and then, which is very odd. I only noticed it in the hub.

Reactions: Li Kao

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
I went in with low expectations because I'm more excited after the Fiscal year ends and then Nintendo hopefully announces more stuff after that once the Mario Anniversary has ended and all its special products have been sold, and Monster Hunter Rise is out.

So because of these low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it partly because I'm interested in getting a lot of these games on Switch instead of Steam. If it wasn't for that then this would be a pretty meh Direct to me even with low expectations.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Splatoon 3 made the Direct for me. I honestly don't know what people were expecting.

Also, Pyra best girl.

• Hug

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Honestly good on Nintendo for porting so many of their older titles to the Switch. Assuming they remain with this strategy and this architecture for the next decade...the Switch is gonna be a powerhouse platform worth investing money into. From the NES, SNES, N64 to even the Gamecube/Wii/U ports. Its great they are finally trying to actually create something for once instead of fracturing everything into different directions. Their ridiculously overpriced games are a little bit more worth it even if they put barely any effort into the ports.

But who am I kidding. In 5 years they will probably destroy everything and introduce a new architecture with new controls/controllers while forcing everyone to rebuy all of today's shit again lol.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Having recently inundated myself in it again because of the Direct, I quickly remembered why I backed out of the insufferable parts of the Nintendo community. It feels like there’s a segment of fans who actually never stop speculating about leaks, hardware revisions, directs and when they’re not doing that they’ll probably be arguing that this year is actually the best year Nintendo because X, Y, Z. At best, about 10% of attention is to actually talking about games. And when these people do talk about games, it feels as if they’re trying sell you on them instead of giving you their honest impressions. I’m sure it’s in other communities as well, but I’ve been following Nintendo stuff for so long that it really sticks out.

Last edited:

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Having recently inundated myself in it again because of the Direct, I quickly remembered why I backed out of the insufferable parts of the Nintendo community. It feels like there’s a segment of fans who actually never stop speculating about leaks, hardware revisions, directs and when they’re not doing that they’ll probably be arguing that this year is actually the best year Nintendo because X, Y, Z. At best, about 10% of attention is to actually talking about games. And when these people do talk about games, it feels as if they’re trying sell you on them instead of giving you their honest impressions. I’m sure it’s in other communities as well, but I’ve been following Nintendo stuff for so long that it really sticks out.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have decided that I will not be paying 70$ (Nintendo first party pricing here) for 3D world just to play Bowsers Fury world and I will just play it via Yuzu.

I have already played the original 3D world to death on my Wii U and no fucking chance will I pay 70$ for 3 hours (more or less) of Bowsers Fury.

Nintendo should have released Bowsers Fury as a standalone game for 20$ and I might have bought it.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Time to join the real good, friendly and non-hostile community: Splatoon

The game has tons of issues, but the gameplay is worth it. :cat-heart-blob:

Last edited:
Reactions: beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Time to join the real good, friendly and non-hostile community: Splatoon

The game has tons of issues, but the gameplay is worth it. :cat-heart-blob:

Ah, I’ve thought of resubbing for NSO to get back into it again. The Splatoon 3 announcement got me all fired up! Super fun for sure, though I wish the progression curve was a bit friendlier. Leveling up and buying gear takes just a little too long for my taste.

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
Honestly good on Nintendo for porting so many of their older titles to the Switch. Assuming they remain with this strategy and this architecture for the next decade...the Switch is gonna be a powerhouse platform worth investing money into. From the NES, SNES, N64 to even the Gamecube/Wii/U ports. Its great they are finally trying to actually create something for once instead of fracturing everything into different directions. Their ridiculously overpriced games are a little bit more worth it even if they put barely any effort into the ports.

But who am I kidding. In 5 years they will probably destroy everything and introduce a new architecture with new controls/controllers while forcing everyone to rebuy all of today's shit again lol.
I hope this time around they don't do that and just stick with the Switch and backwards compatibility with all of their games, even their classic ones. Right now I see no reason why they shouldn't stick to their current architecture but you never know in the future. It would be so disappointing if they did but at the same time it wouldn't be surprising either.

It sucks when large companies don't seem to be care about their legacy but emulators and other stuff made by some people look and play much better with so many features.

Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I hope this time around they don't do that and just stick with the Switch and backwards compatibility with all of their games, even their classic ones. Right now I see no reason why they shouldn't stick to their current architecture but you never know in the future. It would be so disappointing if they did but at the same time it wouldn't be surprising either.

It sucks when large companies don't seem to be care about their legacy but emulators and other stuff made by some people look and play much better with so many features.
I think the digital age will force their hand. So many people buy their games digitally these days they are gonna want to play them down the line on hardware that isn't dead/supported. Nvidia is as good of a hardware partner as you can have nowadays too so as longs as their next system is indeed a new BC Switch...they will probably stick to this strategy until the end of the decade.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
With my 2070 Super out of the picture for the time being and me using a 970 I am kinda mad at myself for buying a PS5 instead of a XSX. Nothing that I have here for PS5 motivates me currently. But then I have 4 Pringles cans with Gamepass 1 week codes on them and there would be some stuff on there that I probably would've played. :neutral-face:

Reactions: PC-tan