|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah, I hope we see something. They always seem very ambitious and different from their previous games, that I just want to see what new things they can come up with.

Would that actually launch between now and March though?
Yes. Playing Tales of Arise now makes me appreciate Xenoblade more. ToAr is a beautiful game but I feel that Xenoblade must be many times more difficult to make. How Monolith Soft making these ambitious games in a few years is mind-blowing.

Personally I think it will be the spring title (Apr - June) next year. Nintendo should earn enough for the current fiscal year with Pokemon Legend Arceus in Jan.

• Comfy
Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Yes. Playing Tales of Arise now makes me appreciate Xenoblade more. ToAr is a beautiful game but I feel that Xenoblade must be many times more difficult to make. How Monolith Soft making these ambitious games in a few years is mind-blowing.

Personally I think it will be the spring title (Apr - June) next year. Nintendo should earn enough for the current fiscal year with Pokemon Legend Arceus in Jan.
Yeah they are crazy efficient for the complexity and detail they put out.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Bayonetta 3 really looks worse than Bayo 1 and 2. lol

Switch is really starting to show its age. Nintendo should have done a pro bump model by now.

Or even better make some powerful home console like device to compliment the Switch and handle all these new ambitious games coming 2022.

BotW2, Bayo 3 and Arceus deserve better.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Switch is really starting to show its age. Nintendo should have done a pro bump model by now.

Or even better make some powerful home console like device to compliment the Switch and handle all these new ambitious games coming 2022.

It’s a ploy to sell remasters for Switch 2

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021

I actually decided to buy Bayonetta 1 on Steam since it was on sale. Sucks that 2 and 3 are gonna be exclusive for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: yuraya

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I thought the additional subscription fee to access N64 and Genesis games was the most egregious thing shown. Nintendo Online still feels so under baked, tacking on an additional paid upgrades just seems unnecessary at this time. If the upgrade path allowed you to actually redeem some of those classics permanently, then we could start a conversation, but oh well what do you do.

Mario movie thoughts withheld until more is shown haha, but...

• This!
Reactions: xinek

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I thought the additional subscription fee to access N64 and Genesis games was the most egregious thing shown. Nintendo Online still feels so under baked, tacking on an additional paid upgrades just seems unnecessary at this time. If the upgrade path allowed you to actually redeem some of those classics permanently, then we could start a conversation, but oh well what do you do.

They will probably double the sub fee for the N64 and Genesis tier. Then they will do it one more time with Gamecube, GB/GBA.

So 3 tiers when its all done.

The end goal is to get that sweet PS+ and Gamepass revenue every year.

• Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021

The worst thing is that you can't buy any of those games that are offered through NSO if I understand correctly. They are only apart of the subscription service. I think I remember seeing some people fearmonger that Microsoft would do this with Gamepass but instead it's Nintendo that's doing this. I know that they're older games but I still think it's pretty bad that the only way you can access these old titles is solely through a subscription service.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The worst thing is that you can't buy any of those games that are offered through NSO if I understand correctly. They are only apart of the subscription service. I think I remember seeing some people fearmonger that Microsoft would do this with Gamepass but instead it's Nintendo that's doing this. I know that they're older games but I still think it's pretty bad that the only way you can access these old titles is solely through a subscription service.
Yeah, it's pretty appalling.

All told, not happy with that Direct. I am excited to see where they go with Bayonetta 3 despite it looking two generations old at this point. The 3D Kirby is an interesting development I want to keep my eyes on too, but there was nothing shown in that Direct which has blown me away.

Plus gating retro games behind a subscription exclusively is a trash tier move.

Nintendo needs to stop treating digital games like a commodity. They should be selling their entire back catalogue digitally with a guarantee that these carry forward to future Nintendo systems.

The only reason these are a subscription exclusive is because they want to avoid awkward conversations when people ask why they can't bring their Wii U/3DS Virtual Console purchases to Switch, or Switch purchases to the next console.

This happens every generation, but I become increasingly more disappointed with Nintendo as time goes on. But I think at this point I've probably expended every ounce of patience I have for them, especially now the Steam Deck is on the horizon and hopefully it ushers in an alternative to Nintendo's bullshit for those who want a handheld system.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
The only thing I didn't like was the NSO stuff. For an expansion pack, where are the Game Boy games? Is there any guarantee that Nintendo will speed up their new game updates for the expansion pack? Their track record has been awful for NES and SNES games because they have been so slow.

Also, what's up with the Mega Drive controller? It looks cool but why the hell is the 6-button one Japan exclusive?

I was really frustrated with the NSO stuff that it nearly ruined the rest of the Direct for me. I hope Nintendo clarifies things in a good way next month because I will not upgrade to the expansion pack. The main reason I even have NSO in the first place is cloud saves and that's really sad.

I'm sure a newer model is on the horizon. We just need to wait like another year. I think the shortages must have delayed Nintendo's plans.

You are right that games like this really deserve this. Just need to wait a little longer if you have to play them on the Switch. Unless things go horribly wrong, I can easily see an announcement in late 2022.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I actually think Bayo 3 looks quite ok. It is on par of 2. Hard disagree on saying it looks worse than Bayo 1 or being 2 gens behind. I think you have forgotten how ugly Bayo 1 is on 360 / PS3 console. It does look worse than Astral Chain, and it is not really a surprise as they prioritize framerate over resolution.

Completely agree on NSO though. Let us buy the games. And they are so slow in adding games.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Made some new threads and updates to old threads for exclusive titles from the direct. I will leave the multiplat ones to prudis (no pressure, btw :cat-heart-blob: ).

New threads

Updates

I will continue updating the SMTV thread tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Quick thoughts: boring Direct, not much interesting, maybe Bayo 3, Castlevania and Splatoon 3.

The Switch Online expansion plan is fucking disgusting.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I thought it was a fun direct with a bunch of games that got me interested in what's coming.
The Nintendo Online stuff i'll have to read up on as i turned away to do something at that point,lol.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
This Japanese is not happy because N64 NSO was announced right after the purchase of a N64 and a copy of Paper Mario... I understand that cost-wise it is sad, but having a legit copy is vastly superior. Plug the console into an upscaler and it may look even better than on Switch!

Reactions: Rogue Agent
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I just realzied I haven't played anything of my Switch in many months, I have a few barely touched games there (Pokemon Sword and Paper Mario), so I'll see what happens when Dread is out.

Also, the Geforce leak has made me pause my playtthrough of Demons Souls and Returnal.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
This Japanese is not happy because N64 NSO was announced right after the purchase of a N64 and a copy of Paper Mario... I understand that cost-wise it is sad, but having a legit copy is vastly superior. Plug the console into an upscaler and it may look even better than on Switch!
Buying retro shit is a scam

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Hopefully the pricing for the expanded NSO content is not too bad. And that it doesn't take 6 months to add a few games.

Also, even though there are some beloved Megadrive games I'd like to revisit, at the rate Nintendo releases stuff I'd rather they exhausted their first-party catalog and the library on their consoles before expanding to others. I'm surprised they went with Megadrive over GB(C) for example.

Lastly, I'll take back all my minor quibbles if they bring over and localize 64DD content. The big one being F-Zero X and its track editor.

Last edited:
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have not touched my Switch and PS5 in a long time, PS5 because of the leak of Returnal and Demons (Geforce Now Leak) and Switch because I have yet to have any interest in playing Sword and Paper Mario. Hopefully Metroid Dread can awake my interest in my Switch again.

Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I have not touched my Switch and PS5 in a long time, PS5 because of the leak of Returnal and Demons (Geforce Now Leak) and Switch because I have yet to have any interest in playing Sword and Paper Mario. Hopefully Metroid Dread can awake my interest in my Switch again.
Yeah I might try Metroid. Still need to complete my 5 houses, BOTW and Astral Chain Playthroughs.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It does look good. Definitely the perfect Switch for people who want the TV and handheld play, but lean more heavily towards handheld. Regular old Switch is still a better fit for people who play mostly/exclusively on their TV however.

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Plug the console into an upscaler and it may look even better than on Switch!
I'm of the argument that N64 emulation in RetroArch has reached a certain maturity that with the help of internal resolution scaling, the experience will be much better there rather than on the original console. In the past, an upscaler box is good if you don't have a decent system, but recent RetroArch build has proved that they can run on a low-spec system with minimal loss of performance.

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
It does look good. Definitely the perfect Switch for people who want the TV and handheld play, but lean more heavily towards handheld. Regular old Switch is still a better fit for people who play mostly/exclusively on their TV however.
Yes, I never dock my Switch so this model is appealing. Meanwhile, I never thought of purchasing it before yesterday because I have two Switches already :/
I'm of the argument that N64 emulation in RetroArch has reached a certain maturity that with the help of internal resolution scaling, the experience will be much better there rather than on the original console. In the past, an upscaler box is good if you don't have a decent system, but recent RetroArch build has proved that they can run on a low-spec system with minimal loss of performance.

Personally I love playing games on original hardware purely because of the original controllers and the joy of plugging in cartridges to the system (yeah this sounds weird) haha. Japanese don't usually emulate games, too, because all the hardware and games are easily available, and I doubt they would do it because ripping devices like Retrode 2 ain't available locally.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Understandable when you have stores like Super Potato, well, at least in Tokyo.

I would live in this aisle -

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Understandable when you have stores like Super Potato, well, at least in Tokyo.

I would live in this aisle -
Haha, I actually never been to Super Potato because there are tons of second-hand store selling retro games in Japan. I got the entire Xenosaga trilogy for less than $10. Here's one of them:

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Been using my Xbox quite a bit these past weeks. I’m almost done with Control’s base content, can’t wait to play the DLC campagins.

• Love
Reactions: hersheyfan

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
After several false starts, I finally bit the bullet and bought a PS5 via a forced bundle from one of the local retailers for 1000$. The bundle was much better value than the local scalpers, you're forced to buy a lot of stuff at once but it's all priced at SRP. Came with Ratchet and Clank, Tsushima, Miles Morales, Returnal, and (ugh) Watch Dogs Legion, a black replacement shell, a useless PS5 travel bag, and an extra DualSense, so 4 of the 5 games I actually have a lot of interest in playing. Not too bad!

Ironically, the game that pushed me over the edge wasnt any of those PS5 console exxxclusives, but rather Genshin Impact. My AR 47 save file is basically hard locked to Playstation, as my gacha luck on PC/Android was terrible.... aaand playing that shit on a PS4 Pro in 2021 was getting really depressing (made even worse by the fact that I already did 30+ hours on PC, so I knew exactly how much better my experience could be).

Ratchet and Clank is blowing my mind right now! I honestly wasn't expecting much going in (looked like more of the same), but that game is crazy good, especially for existing/lapsed fans of the old R&C games.

Been using my Xbox quite a bit these past weeks. I’m almost done with Control’s base content, can’t wait to play the DLC campagins.
You're gonna have a blast, some of Control's DLC stuff is really good. Played through the entire thing again on XSX recently (first time playing the DLC) and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
After several false starts, I finally bit the bullet and bought a PS5 via a forced bundle from one of the local retailers for 1000$. The bundle was much better value than the local scalpers, you're forced to buy a lot of stuff at once but it's all priced at SRP.
FWIW, those of you on the hunt may want to check Staples stores.

I was at my local one a couple days ago and noticed they had a new game console aisle. First time seeing that.

They had slips (like the old Toys 'R Us days) to take up to the register and all the new consoles had around 5 each (Xbox X/S, PS5 digital/reg., Switch reg./lite).

Not in the market myself but it was wild seeing them just sitting there out in the wild.

Reactions: Prodigy and xinek

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
FWIW, those of you on the hunt may want to check Staples stores.

I was at my local one a couple days ago and noticed they had a new game console aisle. First time seeing that.

They had slips (like the old Toys 'R Us days) to take up to the register and all the new consoles had around 5 each (Xbox X/S, PS5 digital/reg., Switch reg./lite).

Not in the market myself but it was wild seeing them just sitting there out in the wild.
Yeah in my country there was also a few on the shelves. And I have seen a few online retailers say they received stock, maybe it's easing up now?
I know some friends want to kill me, because someone in my neighborhood was selling their PS5 and games and extra controller for half the retail price, and I didn't jump at the chance.

Reactions: Aaron D.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What are you using to see upcoming games lists ? I historically use Gamefaqs but it has become a little shitty.
Just wanna gauge the interest I feel toward Switch upcoming exclusives.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
What are you using to see upcoming games lists ? I historically use Gamefaqs but it has become a little shitty.
Just wanna gauge the interest I feel toward Switch upcoming exclusives.
Wikipedia ‘2021 in gaming’

It covers mostly major releases though.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao