• Option 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Theswweet I'll post your CS3 review here too.

Maybe you didn't have time to talk to every single NPC after every story beats, but would you say that they also have some consistent degree of polish in terms of localisation? :02notes:

Reactions: QFNS and Theswweet

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I didn't talk with every NPC, but the ones I did talk to seemed fine. CSIII was always gonna have issues with polish just because of how damn huge the game is (1.1m words WHAT THE FUCK), and frankly NISA did better than I had hoped.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
So, continuing on my adventures in Kenshi...

My scorchlander is toiling away at building a small home at the edge of the Swamp, occasionally returning to the Waystation to buy provisions and materials.
There is plenty of ore nearby, but also a worrisome bandit camp. But so far they hadn't tried anything.
My character traveled around a bit, finding the swamp village, and walking around the neighboring desert a bit to see what was there. But since we didn't find anything, we returned home.

Back at home, work continued. Research, building stuff, mining ore. A drifter has taken to patrolling the town, but he is still demanding 3000 cats to join the party.

A traveling merchant arrives, and my character decides to buy a bone dog as company.
Immediately after, cue a bandit attack on the traveling merchant, and a bandit kills and eats the dog!
My character leads the surviving bandits back to the Waystation, where the guards take care of the rest.

While trying to recover from these unfortunate events, another group of bandits appear at the village, demanding payments. My character flees the town, returning to the safety of the Waystation until a message notifies me that the bandits have left, after raiding my home.

My character returns home, only to find that the bandits haven't taken anything from the small shack. No food, no materials, no scavenged weapons have been taken! It's all still there!

So, next mission is to mine some more ore, sell it at the waystation to get some cash to recruit the drifter, and start building up a community....

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
The swamp is a cruel place. I'm surprised your settlement hasn't become the target of much worse than bandits. Swamp Raptors will sniff out crops and break their way in. And then you have Blood Spiders...

Rest in peace dog. At least you got your revenge.

Reactions: Routa and FunnyJay

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Oh?
So far, the swamp has been very quiet. As mentioned above, the roaming desert bandits have been worse.
I did see some weird spiders walking around the desert though, but gave them a wide berth as to not provoke them.

Are there any interesting areas that I should be on the lookout for?
I'm also interesting in eventually trying out being a traveling merchant, but I guess you need to know some good trade routes first...

Reactions: Routa
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I played for roughly 100 hours, and only managed to explore the southwest area of the map. I loved my time with the game, and I still plan to continue my adventures.

My advice is to allow yourself to be swept up in your character's circumstances and give yourself goals. Kenshi is a fantastic game for emergent storytelling. And this is especially true when making the best out of a bad situation.

Personally I'd avoid as much meta-information as possible, and just explore it on your own. A lot of that southwest region is part of the Shek kingdom as I'm sure you've noticed. They have a few cities around there. The Vain is a really interesting place. You may have been there already though. Despite my own experiences in the swamp, I found it a very unique area, and one I'll likely come back to at some point.

Some of the companions have very unique personalities, and will often say things about themselves and the world. If you have two companions that share something in common, they can have long conversations with each other.

I posted a couple stories earlier this year if you want to read them. Minor spoilers include enemies you might not have seen yet, and a few locations.

How I survived the cannibals.

My experience in the swamp.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I finally earned enough cats to hire another party member!
But the drifter that was roaming around the camp earlier had temporarily disappeared, so I chose another one! Now Spade has joined the team.

Together, Carah and Spade continued toiling away, mining copper for money, iron for materials and turning the iron into plates for usage.
Also, I built a stone mine and a stone processor so we can make our own building material.

Occasionally, we are still hounded by the bandits, who, this time, stole our food.

And our camp is now filled with roaming Band of Bones warriors, who mostly leave us alone, but one freaked out and nearly killed Carah. Spade had to flee to the Waystation to bandage up, and then return to save Carah before she bled out.

As i finished up yesterday, Carah was resting in a recovery coma in the house while Spade continued gathering materials. The food stores are low, but we have a few hundred cats available.
Can't find green fruit for the life of me, so can't build any farms yet.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I finished up The Outer Worlds the other day, and really ended up enjoying it. It did feel like a more streamlined hybrid of the 3D Fallouts and the Mass Effect games, which I guess is my sweet spot. Some of the areas did end up being kind of repetitive and a little too big for their own good, but I think they worked out all right.

I didn't care too much for the story at first, but as I completed all the companion quests and got further into the main storyline it grew on me. The factions all seemed flawed and nobody was a perfect choice, but that made it feel more real. I'm overall happy with the choices that I made. Although there was one quest at the end of the Sublight faction line that I'm not sure if it bugged out or was supposed to go this way, but it made one of those choices for me.

After exploring the abandoned research space station, you go to the scientist's house back in Byzantium. In the secret lab under her house your assignment is to kill her, but I was able to talk her into coming into my side and joining up with Phineas instead. But the corporate guards with her don't like it, and they give me 2 dialogue choices, but both lead to them attacking. I figured I would need to put the guards down, but as soon as combat started the scientist would also turn aggro and my companions would kill her almost immediately, even though she already agreed to join my side. I reloaded and retried this several time, even leaving my companions out of the room but the scientist would always turn aggro, even after I finished off the guards and she was the only one left she wouldn't initiate dialogue and just kept shooting me. So I killed her and collected the original bounty on her that I was sent there for, c'est la vie.

If there's one major point I dislike about the game though, it's the inventory system. It's still better than looking a a pip-boy all the time, but not being able to see what you're currently wearing while in a merchant screen is just silly in 2019. And even the gear comparison system within your own items is just weird. And drowning in consumables wasn't a good feeling either. I never had the heart to just sell everything and I tried to consciously force myself to remember to use them before battles, but it was overwhelming. To the point where I took any available perk and mod to increase my carry capacity and just stopped thinking about them entirely.

Overall though it was a fun ride that didn't overstay its welcome. Probably the best $1 I've spent in gaming ever :blobnerd:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
So the 10s comes to an end and I wanted to ask y'all what your Top 5 is. I initially wanted to ask about a Top 3 but there is no ignoring 4 games for me

My list looks like this in no particular order

• Divinity Original Sin 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Disco Elysium
  • Dragon Quest XI

I don't think I need to talk much about the first two mentioned because there is lots of talk about them whenever there is talk about RPGs. The only thing I am interested in is how the talk about The Witcher 3 will change once The Witcher 4 comes. Because a while ago someone on the RPG Era Discord mentioned how everyone talked about The Witcher 2 being great and now the conversation almost completely shifted towards The Witcher 3.

Disco Elysium is maybe a little too close to now to give it a place in the list but since I finished it I still regularly think about it. It is still pretty unique with its setting, the worldbuilding is fantastic, the characters are great, the art is nice and I liked the soundtrack. One could maybe even call it „human“. Add to that that almost every line in the game is a joy to read. It also is one of the games where I felt it succeeds at the „playing a role“ for the most part. While it has task completion syndrom like every other game, there were quests I didn’t want to do because they wouldn’t fit the character I wanted to be. In other games I would also have these moments but I would probably do them anyway because there is loot to be had. With its decision to not focus on „gameplay“ Disco Elysium gave me the willpower to not do everything in the quest log.

Dragon Quest XI is probably the best JRPG of the decade for me. Charming cast, pleasant to look at, great vignettes and great turn-based battles. The latter often gets a lot of flack for being „too basic“ but too me it is a matter of what you do with the ingredients and not how many you have. Also didn’t care much about the soundtrack because I usually don’t care about a game's soundtrack other when it is really great.
I want to take this opportunity to talk about my short history with the series. Since Dragon Quest VIII was the first mainline DQ in Europe it was also the first one I saw on store shelfs in 06 (There were probably Monster spinoffs, too, but I got my fill from Pokemon). As a Dragon Ball fan the DBZ looking characters on the cover spoke to me. I then looked on the back on the package to see that it looked similar to FFX and decided not to buy it because I hated FFX which I did play pretty recently at the time (only got a PS2 in 05). Years passed and for probably similar reasons I ignored the DS games. It wouldn’t be until the 3DS remake of DQVII until I finally would play my first Dragon Quest and absolutely loved it. Now I am on my way of going through the older games with the RPG Era RPG Backlog Blitzes. And I don’t want to miss it. Currently playing IV and after that only VIII and IX of the mainline series left.
Dragon Quest is the only series that left an impression on me in my adult life that only a few series managed in my childhood.

I then had a hard time coming up with a fifth because I couldn’t really think of one for the fifth place.

The first one that came to mind after a while of thinking were the Dark Souls games, particularly Dark Souls 1 because that is still the most present in my mind though Dark Souls 2 (yes) and Dark Souls 3 refined it even more. What made Dark Souls special is well documented and how it had an impact on the industry (sorry Demon's Soul) can still be read in comparisons today so I don’t want to talk too much about it. Maybe it will end up as my fifth pick but there are other games I want to talk about first.

While we’re at From Bloodborne should maybe be mentioned since for many people it is the best of its kind and I expect to see it on some of these lists. For me I didn’t really click with it and to this day I haven’t finished. Part of it due to its technical issues and some of its design decisions. However, now that I got a nice TV I am willing to give it a third chance though probably only on the next PlayStation.

Another candidate for this list would’ve been Persona 5 if you asked me three or four years ago. Now the more time passes the more negative my impression of Persona 5 gets. The game has style, its moments and the sequence of entering the weapons shop, talking to the clerk and then the music kicking in just at the right moment when the shopping menu has loaded up is fantastic and its pretty unique vibe it shared for me only with its predecessors. But other than maybe two or three characters no one really clicked with me. The story is bungled after the first palace. If anything the more time passes the more it is one of my personal disappointments when I consider my time with Persona 4.

Another one I expect to see often is Nier: Automata. While I like the game when I think about its genre I think more action-adventure than RPG. Great game though.

One of my darlings would also be Fallout: New Vegas and while I still think it is the best of the Bethesda-like Fallouts I played I hardly remember my playthrough of it at all. To maybe re-evaluate it I would need to play it again but who has the time?

Speaking of Obsidian there is also Pillars of Eternity. I didn’t really like it and stopped it after 10 hours or so. Don’t really like RTwP and I found the writing to be pretty dry. But maybe one wants to mention it for its influence in the cRPG renaissance of this decade. I have an interest in the successor since they added turnbased combat though.

Then there is the matter of Outer Worlds which I had some hopes it would make the list. But alas it was probably one of my bigger disappointments. It does most of its things well but to me nothing stood out.

Another consideration would be Mass Effect 2. For me personally it is the first western RPG that I played legitimate (my only prior experience was fooling around with cheats in Gothic 2) and generally being one of the first big console/PC game I played after years of handheld only. However, over the years I come to also like it less. The level design is pretty boring, as a third person shooter it is pretty stiff, the story is whatever. It also feels like the game that popularized „relationships“ with your teammates for me which got one of the most annoying aspects in games in general for me. On the one hand because of the discussions around them and on the other hand because of relationships are not done well in most games. The presentation is great though and the characters are likeable.

Then there is stuff I didn’t even think about until looking at a list like Undertale, Diablo 3 (console edition), Darkest Dungeon, Skyrim, Fable 3, Kingdom Hearts 3 etc. But while I enjoyed all of them they didn’t leave that much of an impact on me.

Then there are the so called „immersive sims“. Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Prey are fantastic games and also give good options for „role-playing“. Perhaps Prey is my fifth place thinking about it.

But over everything there is the massive blind spot of games I haven’t played yet. Trails of Cold Steel 1-3, Ys 8, TitS SC und TC, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Bard's Tale IV, Operencia, Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Alpha Protocol, Kenshi ... The list goes on and on together with classics I still want to play.

That is about it for now.

So how does your Top 5 list of favorite RPGs of the tens look like?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
This is difficult. I'm not really good at ranking things since I mostly don't think about absolute ranks and more in groups of Amazing, Great, Good, Alright, etc.

There are 2 games that always easily come to mind though, so I can start with them.

My #1 is easily The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (its 3rd not Third Chapter :p)
It's maybe a bit unfair since it has the advantage of building on 150+ hours worth of world building and character development, but it's essentially one giant pay-off.
I like it so much because it's such a unique game in the Legend of Heroes series and is so many things at the same time, and does all of them sooo well.
It's an Epilogue to the Trails in the Sky saga. It's an interlude. It's a prologue to what's to come. It's its own story. It's a festival of your favorite characters.
And it also hits really hard on an emotional level. I cannot speak for the Crossbell games because I haven't played them yet, but while I like the Cold Steel games, 3rd is just so much mature.

And the other game, which I don't really know where to place, but I have a real soft spot for, is The Last Remant.
The Last Remnant is a flawed game. It's an incredibly complex game that doesn't tell you any of its complexity, so you will have to read up on wikis or likely get fustrated because you think it's all just RNG.

But it's such a unique game and I don't think I've seen anything quite like it since. I have never actually finished it though :p

Reactions: QFNS and Kvik

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
You don’t have to rank them in any specific order if you don’t want to. My list isn’t ordered either because depending on the day my answer for number one might change

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Barrel!

A few weeks ago, I completed Atelier Firis. It is one of the worst Atelier titles I've ever played, plagued with performance issues and terrible overall port quality. Despite that, there are still several things to like about the game, mainly Firis herself as the titular character, and the way exploration works in the game, although sometimes it comes to its detriment.

First things first: the performance is terrible. To illustrate the issue, here are the specs of my rig.

Intel i7-5930K 6C/12T, 4.2Ghz
32GB DDR4 CAS14, 3200Mhz
Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
Game is installed in 2x SATA SSD in RAID0
Target resolution is 2560x1440

Let's say you're in the Atelier after loading a recent game. The framerate will fluctuate between 40fps and 60fps constantly when rotating the camera. Once we have Firis exiting the Atelier and into the game map, it will jump to 70-80fps before normalising into 45-60fps. It is also impossible to have consistent frame times due to the lack of graphics options. And that's just for the exploration part. The performance during combat is marginally better, but frame times is still inconsistent most of the time.

To add insult to injury, originally the game was released with low-resolution assets, while its PS4 counterpart has higher-resolution assets. While the final patch addressed most of these, there are still some UI assets which appear to be in low resolution. There is also the matter of missing SSAO, geometry pop-in and badly implemented AA. While there's a recent mod to fix the graphics issues, the performance issues persist and probably won't ever be fixed.

Let's talk about the game itself next. The "Journey" theme in this game was conveyed pretty well for the most part. Although the game is not a truly open world since Firis is simply moving from one map to another, there is a sense of travel since Firis' atelier is now "portable" and she can set up shop wherever there is a bonfire. Secondly, there are a lot of large areas with various bite-sized dungeons (although calling it a dungeon might be a misnomer since it's just an extended cave). There are a few proper dungeons, however, including hard, optional bosses that go with it. These all sound good on paper. However, for more than half of the game, fast travel option is effectively locked out until Firis has gained enough Alchemy levels and completed the exam.

To exacerbate the matter, the sidequest structure sometimes requires her to be travelling from one end of the world to the next, whether to collect materials or simply for talking to various NPCs. This result in a tedious experience after a while, since Firis will need to travel from one map to the next (instead of simply warping to the destination map), talk to the NPC in question, sometimes multiple times across several days while keeping the time limit in mind. While the hard limit itself is rather generous, I can't fault anyone who prefers to explore the world at a leisurely pace. Thirdly, the running speed in this game is extremely slow, especially for underwater exploration. Luckily, there's a CT designed to improve running speed. My heart goes out to people who had the displeasure of running this game in console because I simply could not bear it otherwise.

The alchemy system is as always, the most enjoyable thing to play. While the system is simply an incremental upgrade from Sophie, the addition of line bonuses in the grid makes it more enjoyable to try and craft high-level item quality (>=300 points) and less busywork compared with Sophie. It's still a challenge to make a 999 quality item though, since gathering materials needed to achieve it require the best fast travel method in the game, otherwise you'll be sitting through the game for an ungodly amount of hours.

Despite all of these problems, character interaction and personal quests are for the most part, good. Firis' VA does a good job in conveying a 'genki girl' character with a certain wanderlust. The music in the game is also some of the best Atelier series has ever seen. Some of the personal quests feel poignant and it's satisfying to get the ending CG for it. There are 10 different endings you can get in this game, and while getting all of these can be called tedious due to the amount of running around you need to do to increase Firis' friendship level, in order to complete some of the quest lines, the payoff, in the end, is perfectly in line with the "Journey" theme.

Sadly, I'm reluctant to recommend this game to anyone new to Atelier series. It simply won't leave them with a good impression. I heard the next entry in the Mysterious series is better, not only in terms of port quality (although that's not saying much due to K-T's track record) but also in terms of story. I'll write about it sometime next year. I'll wrap up with a few of my favourite tracks from the game and some screenshots.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
A few weeks ago, I completed Yakuza 0. I had such a great time with it, and it is making me a new fan of the series. I don't feel there are too many games which can warrant such a reaction from me right from the get-go, apart from Falcom's games.

I generally don't like role-playing an anti-hero for a protagonist. Since I'm jumping into the series relatively blind, that was my first impression of Kiryu. But after knowing that Kiryu is so far removed from a typical anti-hero, this is where the magic of Yakuza 0 lies. How do you make a game featuring a criminal enterprise as a theme work supremely well? Your protagonist must be likable. You'll want to root for them. Except for solving their problems with violence, they also have to be a functioning member of society, and they must have their incorruptible moral compass. They don't even have to be a member of organised crime. Enter Kazuma Kiryu.

Watching the story of Yakuza 0 unfolds is like watching one of the 'Ninkyo eiga' genre film at its peak. You know there's going to be lots of cliches, blood and honour, redemption arc and whatnots. It probably took its cue from Kitano Takeshi's absurd humour found in his earlier films as well. I enjoyed its insights on the excess of the mid-80s, particularly in Kamurocho (itself is an analogue of real-life Kabukicho). Life was good then, there's plenty of money to go around, and for the red-light district, money means business, and when there's business, there is also a crime. While the real estate dispute itself was a reflection on Japanese asset price bubble (or bubble economy) in mid-80s Japan as told in an organised crime framework, I feel this wasn't the only thing which drives the game forward.

While the struggles of Kiryu and Tachibana Real Estate feels real and important, I feel the life of Kamurocho itself is defined by its residents, and by that I mean their side stories. Kiryu's friendship with Kamurocho's populace is what makes the district isn't merely a theme park-like those games made by a couple of British ex-pats. Their interactions with Kiryu feels rewarding, not only concerning game mechanics but also giving Kamurocho a real sense of living, breathing place. There are 100 side stories in the game, and while some of these are encroaching on absurdist humour territory, there are many touching moments which feels earned.

Enough about Kiryu and let's visit Sotenbori (an analogue of Dotonbori) for a little bit. Majima's introduction is probably one of the most well-directed character introduction in a video game. The tale of Majima is a tragic one. Unlike his counterpart in Kamurocho, Majima spent almost the entire game trying to earn the good graces of the family he used to belong to, so he can be a part of it once more. It's a direct contrast with Kiryu who spent the majority of his time trying to escape the clutch of his family. However, like Kiryu, he also lives by his code. His transformation at the end of the game feels cathartic for someone who spent most of his early life being someone else's pawn. He's such a great character.

One of my favourite activities in the game is managing Majima's Cabaret Club. While Kiryu's Real Estate Royale wasn't a bad minigame, it doesn't quite have the same flair as a Cabaret Club in a Fever Hour. There's something quite fulfilling about interacting with the hostesses and building Majima's club to be the best Cabaret Club in Sotenbori. Majima's interactions with competing clubs are also one of my highlights. Even if the final reward for the completion of this particular questline isn't as powerful as it was, I'd say I would still complete it because I had such a great time with it.

Finally, the music in Yakuza 0 is pretty great. The selection is pretty diverse, and there's a lot to love even for smaller tracks used in the Disco Club minigame, for example. There are a bunch of electronic tracks which I enjoyed a lot, and I simply must listen to it in higher quality. I don't know if the soundtrack is available for purchase in the west, but I went to OTOTOY to buy it, and I'm glad I did it. Listening to 'Receive You', 'Interplanetary Spark', 'As You Like', 'Two Dragons' and of course 'Judgement' in high fidelity is a treat. I'll link some of these tracks below.

I can see now why the series is highly regarded and had its loyal followers. I'm glad I give it a chance, I definitely will recommend it to anyone who has a remote interest in playing the series. It'll probably be some time before I can start Yakuza Kiwami, but I will write down my impressions of it when the time comes.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I'm currently thinking of creating a new thread for 2020 sometime in January, in part just to clear the poll.

Any thoughts on additions to the OP? I think it would be a good moment to continue BlueOdin 's discussion of the best RPGs of the decade.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Any thoughts on additions to the OP?
This might be plagiarizing RPGClub's format a bit, but how about a 'Question of the Month' thing, to get a conversation started? BlueOdin's RPG of the decade could serve as a starter for January. Otherwise, it'll be just me posting about some random RPG again (sorry folks!) :dana_blanket:

A few weeks ago, I completed Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht. After completing Xenogears last year and thoroughly impressed by its scope and ambition, I set myself a task to play the next game in the Xeno series, with the hope to see the return of thematic elements presented in Xenogears. Like the former, Xenosaga examines the growth of technology, artificial intelligence, psychology, religion, warfare and race relations. It is also an ambitious title, and sometimes confusing in terms of its story, due to a large number of plot elements presented in the game.

If we're already familiar with the battle system in Xenogears, Xenosaga feels like the next iteration of the system. Of course, we have the mechas (or AGWS as it was called in Xenosaga), the Action Point turn-based system, Ether attacks and Tech attacks (a replacement for the Deathblows system in Xenogears). I find the system still enjoyable enough to play, although after spending more than a few hours in it, I find it was still a product of its time since we can't skip the battle animation for Tech attacks, for example. The running speed is also extremely slow, although this can be mitigated with the use of .pnach file in PCSX2. There is a fair bit of depth when balancing AP cost with Tech attacks, or when considering using Ether attacks since it's very costly, and Ether Points are limited. The AGWS customisation system is also pretty deep, although I feel the opportunity to use the mechas are somewhat limited and I'm not a big fan of the overall mecha design in this game. Nothing feels as iconic as Weltall, Brigandier or Renmazuo in Xenogears. However, they're still very powerful and expensive to upgrade.

The English localisation is pretty well made considering its age, although there is still some awkward phrasing in some cases, perhaps in some character exposition. Like Xenogears, the story contained many plot elements which sometimes can feel very confusing. Much like the former, the game demands your full attention, otherwise, you might miss some of the subtleties. However, while Xenogears is largely a self-contained story, Xenosaga feels like a set-up for the subsequent titles, although I can understand Monolith's intention since Xenosaga was planned to be a multi-part series from the beginning. In modern RPG games, an encyclopedia is included in the game, and it trivialises the effort of looking up a term when NPCs are bombarding the player with many acronyms in a short time. Sadly Xenosaga despite the size of its lore never had such luxury. Although, such omission is probably the result of the technical limitation of the platform.

I completed the game entirely using PCSX2. The environment and character models' texture assets scaled up rather well when rendered in 8x internal resolution and displayed in 1440p, although it's not without its drawbacks. Shadows are being rendered incorrectly, resulting in 'ghosting' around character models. Textures sometimes didn't load in time, resulting in black areas on some levels, although this issue didn't happen often. I used the skipdraw hack in PCSX2 to mitigate some of these issues. Additionally, there is a bug which will result in a game crash when certain save points in-game is used. However, the save-state feature in PCSX2 made this issue irrelevant. Finally, the game has a large number of cutscenes, and unfortunately, the transition between FMV and in-engine cutscenes can be uneven because the fidelity in the in-engine cutscenes is several magnitudes higher when compared with FMV due to the high internal resolution scaling.

Overall, I find the game enjoyable enough for me to play the next entries. I didn't go in expecting Xenosaga to give me a better experience compared with Xenogears, but I find the lore and characters are interesting enough for me to continue, despite its shortcomings. I can recommend this game only if one has played through Xenogears first. While I understand this proposition might be somewhat difficult to take due to its age (Xenogears is 21 years old) and the localisation has certainly shown its age as well (despite saying this, I have the utmost respect for Richard Honeywood, the English translator of Xenogears because he practically worked alone during most of the development process to get the western release of Xenogears to ship in acceptable state), the scope and complexity of its themes remain unmatched when compared with Xenosaga Episode I.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I'm on vacation at the moment, but it's giving me some time to think about Disco Elysium, which I haven't been able to get out of my head since I finished it.

Prepare yourselves for a lot of positive rambling -- at some point.

I'm glad it got recognized for a few awards at the TGAs, despite not passing the popularity check for the GOTY.

Reactions: Kvik and lashman

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This would be my final long-form impressions for 2019 unless I somehow manage to complete SaGa Scarlet Grace in two weeks time. I could try, though. :dana_blanket:

A few nights ago, I finished Resonance of Fate. This is one of the games I didn't quite manage to finish on PS3 for one reason or another. While I have some sense of satisfaction from finally finishing it on PC, I find the game somewhat lacking in retrospect. The total playtime tracked in-game on my clear save is about 80 hours. However, I feel the game's story can be completed in a mere 40 hours or less since I dedicated more than half of that time grinding. Yes, the game has a lot of grinding, especially if we're aiming for clearing the entire game maps, plus the optional bonus dungeon. In the end, I didn't manage to complete the optional dungeon since the enemies in there are about 30 levels above my strongest character, and I was getting very close to burning out due to excessive grinding.

The game is structured much like a loot-based ARPG where you have a central/hub area connecting a bunch of levels and dungeons. The entire game world ("Basel") looks similar to a massive tower. To clear a level and enabling the player to travel from one point to another, there are these things called energy hexes. When these hexes are placed into the floor tiles of a level, various landmarks will pop up, whether it's dungeons, cities, mansions or elevators. Defeating enemies from random encounters and obtaining their primary drops which are these energy hexes is one of the main purposes of grinding in this game. While they aren't exactly scarce, energy hexes come in various shapes and colours, and efficiently using specific hex shapes to clear the floor tiles is a bit like playing Tetris. Only this time you'll have to defeat many specific enemies to earn enough of those coveted I-blocks. Different enemies drop different shapes of energy hexes, which means we will need to defeat a lot of these enemies if we're aiming to clear all 12 floors.

The second purpose of grinding is, of course, obtaining in-game currency. By exploiting the "Smackdown" mechanics (basically launching an enemy into the air, jumping to reach a higher elevation and then shooting them from the height to "smack" them down to the floor), we can earn drops called "Silver Chips" and "Gold Chips" which can be sold for currency. However, defeating enemies quickly doesn't necessarily mean that they'll drop the most amount of chips since the drops aren't guaranteed, and there isn't a limit of how many of these chips can be dropped by a single enemy. While a single Silver or Gold Chips doesn't worth all that much, by repeatedly exploiting the Smackdown mechanics, they will add up quickly, although this will also mean that the time it will take to defeat all enemies while extracting the most number of chips during random encounters will also increase. Weapon upgrade costs will also increase exponentially, and crafting more powerful upgrades require rare drops from enemies. Hence, more grinding is required to efficiently dispatch stronger enemies with rare drops for the next level of upgrades, and so on.

The mechanics in the game is interesting. While there was a lot to take in at first, once we're familiar with the mechanics, it becomes relatively straightforward, to its own detriment. The game earned a few extra points from simply dropping the player right into their first mission without any explanation of the battle mechanics. To learn all of these mechanics, we would have to complete several tutorials by visiting an NPC. Also, another NPC will give the player several tips during the game to efficiently exploit the game mechanics. Weapon customisation is also one of the most interesting aspects of the game. Dispatching enemies efficiently would require efficient weapon customisation by way of multiple attachments, which the game has a lot of. Another interesting aspect is the weight mechanics. The game doesn't have the standard RPG STR/VIT/DEX stats gained by increasing a character's level. What it actually has is a total weight stat which primarily consumed by weapon customisation. Every weapon attachment adds a little weight to the weapon, and the customisation is limited by its total weight and the grid allocation in which the weapon can be customised in. Equipping accessories will also add a little weight, but they're insignificant compared to weapon weight. Gaining levels would earn additional weight for the characters, which would mean more customisation options. Despite their interesting approach, there isn't much depth in tactics for defeating harder enemies or bosses. While exploiting opposing elemental affinities is a valid strategy, all the bosses in the game can be defeated with almost the same strategy used to defeat low-level enemies in a random encounter. While there is a little inconvenience of inability to swap equipment and/or accessories in dungeons, escaping a dungeon is a trivial matter and we can quickly swap weapons and equipment, go back to home base to craft weapon attachments, and so on.

The way the game tells its story is a curious one. Instead of following a traditional narrative, the story is told in a series of vignettes, much like those in the slice-of-life genre. Most of the important plot elements are implied, and it implores the player to come to their own conclusion in regards to character backstories, and this also applies to the ending. However, the antagonists of the story are also prone to speak in riddles, and the nuance which they are trying to convey can be hard to decipher, despite the competent localisation. I find myself reloading a savegame to rewatch certain cutscenes because I didn't quite grasp their implication the first time. Despite that, I find this style of world-building interesting, and I feel this is one of the unique aspects of the game. The game can also be quite funny at times, mostly because of Reanbell's reaction towards Vashyron and Zephyr's antics.

The port quality is decent, although not without some problems. While the game is locked to 60fps, the frame times are consistent enough to produce a relatively flat line in the framerate graph. The game comes with an optional upscaled high-resolution texture assets DLC which exponentially increase the install size. However, when this DLC is installed, micro stutters can be observed each time the player character enter a new area. These micro stutters can also be observed by examining the models of enemies in the bestiary, or player characters in apparel/clothing menu. I managed to mitigate the issue by increasing the page file size as suggested in a thread found in Steam Community forum, but it didn't eliminate the issue entirely.

Speaking of clothing, the game has a lot of it. They can be expensive to collect too. While equipping different clothes won't improve character stats, it's rather fun to dress up your characters in different clothes and accessories. Even though most of these clothes are simply a different variant of one another in terms of colour and textures, the overall contemporary theme of the outfits feels like something one could wear in real life.

Overall, while my experience with the game was mostly an enjoyable one, I wouldn't recommend it anyone who hates grinding. According to Steam achievement stats, there aren't many people who have played the game and see the ending, since the achievement for completing the game is only earned by ~6% of global players. While this might be my own conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if this number can be correlated with the amount of grinding required to finish the game. However, if one dislike grinding and still interested in the game, I'm almost certain that there would be a Cheat Engine table designed for this game. Being able to multiply the quantity of the enemy's drop table by some factors will certainly help a lot. If one day I have an inkling to do an NG+ run (there's an achievement for it as well) I'd certainly use a CT to avoid all the excessive grinding.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Beautiful shots!

I always felt this game really suffered from its rendering resolution when I played it on PS3, the assets were (and are) great.
I also never finished it, and I agree with your assessment of the grindiness.

Still, a very unique JRPG both in terms of setting and mechanics.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Resonance of Fate seems like such a thoroughly weird jRPG and entirely up my alley. I might have to pick it up during the winter sale and give it a shot (also, I sure hope Zodiac Age goes on sale for at least half off again FFS)

Reactions: Kvik
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I've been catching up on the Disco Elysium discussion that I missed. It looks like my playtime was significantly longer than most at ~109 hours.

Which was your favorite skill?

I loved everything about Inland Empire. The foreshadowing, hunches, cautioning you against certain actions, the imaginative ideas about mysterious side-investigations, to speaking with inanimate objects. I'm very glad I made it my signature skill at character creation.

By the end of the game I had even become emotionally attached to my necktie. If you have the Blue Medicinal Spirit, your necktie will create a Molotov with it just before the tribunal, sacrificing itself in a beautiful blaze of glory. After everything I went through with it, I have to admit I teared up a little. Good bye, necktie.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
For Disco Elysium my primary skill was Shivers, and while cool it started to get a bit old when it would pipe in during every conversation or interaction.

Electro-Chemistry was a fun one too, as long as you just laugh at it and never do what it says.

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
It's hard for me to pick a favorite Disco Elysium skill since I've had great interactions with several of them. Although, I've had some interesting ones with Authority:

Reactions: Flips and Taborcarn

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Guys, thinking of buying Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

I'm on the vibe for a new cRPG, I even reinstaleld NWN1 again, but the fact that I just control a single character makes it a borefest for some encounters where your character is less suited.
I have also started playing D&D 5e on Pen & Paper with my group of friends, so reading that Pathfinder is a fork of D&D 3.5 seems like a match made in heaven.

I have however, read that the game is very poorly balanced and has lots of bugs and performance issues. Has this been fixed with the Enhanced Edition?

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I played the enhanced edition and I didn't hit much in the way of bugs and performance problems.
However, I would recommend finding the "Bag of Tricks" mod. This is an all-in-one mod package that has tons of customizable options, Personally I'd recommend the tweaks for encumbrance, resting, and how long Kingdom Events take to complete. Those were the more annoying parts of the game for me but YMMV.

To be the balance problems didn't come into play until the very end. By that I mean around hour 85 of my 103 hour playthrough. The difficultly takes a huge spike in the final areas to the point where I used the mod to change health and damage values. I'm still glad I played it, but that last segment was rough and I have no regrets about cheating it just to see the game through to the ending.

Reactions: lashman and Durante
Status
Not open for further replies.