• Option 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Xenogears at times is certainly there. As the game advance it goes to such fascinating themes. Hours upon hours into the game it keeps adding characters and and plot lines. Memory is very hazy, I think there was a new character and he was hunting zombies (?) on a boat or a train or a spaceship, but there was this religious theme in the background. Really hazy, sorry.
Let me refresh your memory: Citan is a cunt.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I as many here bounced of Morrowind at first, it's the lack of direction that can be little overwhelming, especially since you don't really know what can be possible and what one can discover out there in the world. It wasn't until a friend of mine told me that he had crazy acrobatics and when stripped naked could jump up on building and that got me really intrigued, So I really gave it a go and yeah once you start to feel live you are really exploring a world you get hooked.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Even something as simple as the method of fast travel not being a click on the map but an actual in-game fast travel service (silt striders, boats, mage guild teleporters, mark and recall) does a lot to make you feel part of the world. The directions for a quest being "exit the town and go north until you see a statue, then head east until you find a river" instead of "this person lives in that town, go find him" means that you are actually exploring the world looking for landmarks instead of blindly following a quest compass. Morrowind has hundreds of little things like that that make it a truly immersive experience.
I believe that not only does this aid in immersion/world-building, it also improves the reward structure. Getting access to mark and recall, and/or levitation fundamentally changes how you can play and approach the game. I'd go as far as to say that, in 100 hours of Oblivion there isn't a single event that changes the basic gameplay loop as significantly as each of those single spells in Morrowind does on its own.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Everything you're all saying about Morrowind sounds like it's something I'd love, so thanks for all the details. I've always overlooked it, and I guess it's because it didn't have the popularity or visibility of the other ES titles. If I'd known why, I probably would have tried it a long time ago. Anyway, the GOTY edition is like $5 on Steam right now, so I picked it up.
:wd_hellyeah:

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Talking about Morrowind, I found this a bit sad:

That's very sad indeed. In a lot of ways Morrowind was Bethesda's last hurrah after the failure of Redguard and Battlespire. They had no guarantee they'd still have a job after it was over, and shot for the moon. I also don't think it's a coincidence that some of the best CRPGs of all time can often be described as incredibly ambitious and somewhat broken (at release anyway).

I know Bethesda lost a lot of important developers after Morrowind, such as Douglas Goodall, Julian Le Fay, and Michael Kirkbride (He did a little writing for Oblivion), but ultimately I think that shifting focus to a mainstream audience post-Morrowind is what changed Bethesda forever, and for the worst.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Good thread, hopefully it won't eventually turn into an argument over what defines a RPG like it always seemed to on other places. Also I promise not to visibly cringe when someone mentions AC Odyssey as a RPG.

As for me I'm about to ready to dive into a new RPG as I haven't really played one in a while. I'm looking at Elex because of all the good things I heard about it. Someone give me some extra motivation to start it soon-ish.

Reactions: Alexandros

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Heck yes. Great thread.

As always folks championing Planescape: Torment know what they are talking about. The story of that game is still unequaled in games today.

As for personal favorites, lots have already been mentioned. Xenogears and Shadowrun: Dragonfall for sure.

I also really still love Baldur's Gate 2, despite it being less good than Planescape in story, the game has way more style and lore. It fulfills that D&D Adventuring itch in a really great way. NWN is also good at this, but the lack of a full party kinda makes it a no-go for me.

The Trails Series of course is the best JRPGs and I will fight anyone saying otherwise (there are very good other ones, but the Sky Trilogy in particular is still so so good). Cold Steel 1 & 2 aren't as amazing in the story department as the Sky Trilogy (Maybe CS3&4 will change my mind if they ever come to PC), so if you want a god tier JRPG play Trails in the Sky FC/SC and 3rd.

Aeana

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Good thread, hopefully it won't eventually turn into an argument over what defines a RPG like it always seemed to on other places. Also I promise not to visibly cringe when someone mentions AC Odyssey as a RPG.

As for me I'm about to ready to dive into a new RPG as I haven't really played one in a while. I'm looking at Elex because of all the good things I heard about it. Someone give me some extra motivation to start it soon-ish.
If you like Piranha Bytes's other games, then you should enjoy Elex. It's not nearly as tight as Gothic, but the DNA is there and you can feel it. I really liked the game quite a lot.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I like RPGs.
Welcome aboard~! :coffee-blob:

AC Odyssey is a RPG. :heroblob:

But seriously, you should play Elex.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I'd like your thoughts on an addition to the OP.

My idea is for the OP to be driven by community content, and for that to promote discussion. I hope to have people contribute recommendations over time. In addition to recommendations, I think a highlight section would be great for people willing to write a little more in-depth about a particular topic to start a new conversation.

• It's okay to write about a particular title, but it's not strictly a recommendation. Examples: A look at fast travel implementations across several open-world RPGs. The design path of the Immersive Sim genre. An obscure Japanese RPG. A unique story about an RPG experience.
  • It's not a full article, but not quite a conventional post either.

Thoughts? Are people willing to write?

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Good thread. We need more genre specific topics to match other sites.

The most bizarre experience I had with an RPG happened outside of the game. A few years ago I was browsing one of the sites specified on the genre and saw a review of VtM:B that, in short, said that the game is pretty bad. Now, I'm not against people having their own opinion, but I can disagree with it, especially if it concerns my favorite game of all time, as I did in the comment section. The reviewer didn't like such apostasy and strolled to Twitter to make fun of me and call me names, which in turn activated my inner trolling twat and started the most idiotic bickering I've ever been a part of. I still think that the guy is an ass, but my behavior wasn't the most outstanding either. In the end, the site admin just permabanned me and everyone moved on, but that shit is out there forever, and I'm ashamed.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Good thread. We need more genre specific topics to match other sites.

The most bizarre experience I had with an RPG happened outside of the game. A few years ago I was browsing one of the sites specified on the genre and saw a review of VtM:B that, in short, said that the game is pretty bad. Now, I'm not against people having their own opinion, but I can disagree with it, especially if it concerns my favorite game of all time, as I did in the comment section. The reviewer didn't like such apostasy and strolled to Twitter to make fun of me and call me names, which in turn activated my inner trolling twat and started the most idiotic bickering I've ever been a part of. I still think that the guy is an ass, but my behavior wasn't the most outstanding either. In the end, the site admin just permabanned me and everyone moved on, but that shit is out there forever, and I'm ashamed.
You may be joking but I say thy meh ! I feel that at one point or another in your digital life you have to enter a stupid feud. And make a fool of yourself optionally while you are at it. Comes with the territory. What's important is being able to see that you were, eh, not bright. And ideally being able to not re-enter such mess. The fact that it happened... I and many others have been there, that's not the end of the world.

Me I got in some pretty heated comic book feuds many years ago. With a huge dickhead. I won the feud (because I like to think I was stupid but not totally wrong, but that's what they all say, don't they). And I had the genius idea to end the convo by adding some incredibly moronic 'and I will always be here to fight you', or some variation.
You can imagine it's not the moment in my life I'm the most proud of :coffee-blob:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Speaking of Elex, should I play it. I have played the following Piranha Bytes games:

Gothic 3 (didn't like it)
Risen (liked it)
Risen 2 (liked it)
Risen 3 (liked it)

I liked them but didn't love them. How is Elex compared to these previous games?

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

My idea is for the OP to be driven by community content, and for that to promote discussion. I hope to have people contribute recommendations over time. In addition to recommendations, I think a highlight section would be great for people willing to write a little more in-depth about a particular topic to start a new conversation.

• It's okay to write about a particular title, but it's not strictly a recommendation. Examples: A look at fast travel implementations across several open-world RPGs. The design path of the Immersive Sim genre. An obscure Japanese RPG. A unique story about an RPG experience.

Would it be fine if it's like some kind of a short review writeup?

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Fine fine you guys twisted my arm I'll play Elex next lol. Since I refunded wolfenstein my schedule's become a lot clearer suddenly.
I love Elex and have spent hours and hours in it on-and-off, if you like PB games then you know what to expect.
Just a quick tip regarding Skill Points. Armour and Weapons are gated by stats so, say you need xx Dex and xx Str to use a certain Axe don't bother putting points in those Skills until you have enough. There's no advantage to having 17 points in something if it needs 20 to unlock. Just hoard your points until you have enough to use the item you want.

Aside from that, have fun! There's a ton of stuff to do and explore in the game and it doesn't look half-bad either.

Last edited:

goat

Mass Erect
Jan 21, 2019

That's my plan. I already typed one up for Death end re;Quest earlier in this thread and I'd like to do one for each new RPG I finish.

Reactions: Arulan

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
The most bizarre experience I had with an RPG happened outside of the game. [...] In the end, the site admin just permabanned me and everyone moved on, but that shit is out there forever, and I'm ashamed.
Link? lol, can't hurt to ask.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I love Elex and have spent hours and hours in it on-and-off, if you like PB games then you know what to expect.
Just a quick tip regarding Skill Points. Armour and Weapons are gated by stats so, say you need xx Dex and xx Str to use a certain Axe don't bother putting points in those Skills until you have enough. There's no advantage to having 17 points in something if it needs 20 to unlock. Just hoard your points until you have enough to use the item you want.

Aside from that, have fun! There's a ton of stuff to do and explore in the game and it doesn't look half-bad either.
I can't start another fucking game. Silence ! You devilish tempter ! :blobxorcism:

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Poll added.

For Turn-Based Combat I prefer...
  • A Square Grid
  • A Hex Grid
  • No Grid
I prefer either kind of grid.

It was always frustrating playing Original Sin, where I think to myself "I'm not in that puddle", it gets electrocuted and my character becomes stunned because it's not 100% clear visually.

Having that exact definition of positioning and effects from grids is my preference.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Don't care so long as the game's great. Xcom squares, great, final fantasy tactics squares great, valkyria chronicles no grid great, battle for wesnoth hexes great, vantage master hexes great, old-civilization squares great, original sin no grid great, etc.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I've only really played Square grid based liek Shadowrun and FFT so I'm in the dark when it comes to hex or no grid. Any suggestions?

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I've only really played Square grid based liek Shadowrun and FFT so I'm in the dark when it comes to hex or no grid. Any suggestions?

Fallout and Battle Brothers are examples of a Hex Grid.

Both Divinity: Original Sin games are recent examples of No Grid. This system usually has an indicator that tells you the distance you're about to travel, and the Action Points you'll consume by doing so.

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I prefer either kind of grid.

It was always frustrating playing Original Sin, where I think to myself "I'm not in that puddle", it gets electrocuted and my character becomes stunned because it's not 100% clear visually.

Having that exact definition of positioning and effects from grids is my preference.
I am also either kind of grid.

I feel like most CRPGs are hex, and consoles are square.

Hmm, I have not played an RPG in a hot minute. Last one I played was the remake of Planescape: Torment, which I hated. It's like they tried to make a novel into a video game and forgot to add actual gameplay.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

I'm pretty sure Square Grids are the most popular across both PC and Consoles. I can't seem to recall any Japanese RPGs that use a Hex Grid at the moment though.

Pool of Radiance and The Age of Decadence are pictured above. The latter was going to use a Hex Grid, but encountered technical issues with their engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandy

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I would have picked square grid until I played Divinity: Original Sin and D:OS2. The no-grid life is amazing.

Reactions: Dandy

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm pretty sure Square Grids are the most popular across both PC and Consoles. I can't seem to recall any Japanese RPGs that use a Hex Grid at the moment though.
Wild Arms V and Wild Arms XF off the top of my head.

Reactions: Arulan

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
No grid. I'd like to see other indicators of attack distance and movement. As much as I don't like Valkyria Chronicles (not really an RPG) I think Sega had the right idea about presenting the information to the gamer.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yup, I prefer no grid like Divinity OS games. But square-grid is fine too. I hate hex grid though, looks messy and convoluted.

Reactions: Li Kao

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Coming from board game experience I prefer hexes, they feel much more versatile than squares. Limited movement to the four cardinal directions just feels constrained, gotta have that diagonal action.

Reactions: Milena

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yup, I prefer no grid like Divinity OS games. But square-grid is fine too. I hate hex grid though, looks messy and convoluted.
I feel you. I know that hexes have very good reasons to be used, are literally superior to squares, but some ocd part of my mind never really got used to what they look at first glance. Messy yeah.

Reactions: Milena
Status
Not open for further replies.