Community MetaSpeedRunning | RPG Limit Break 2019 Charity Event | A Week of RPG Speedruns

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

RPG Limit Break is celebrating it's 5th year of Speedrunning RPGs for charity, specifically the National Alliance on Mental Illness or NAMI. It is a much more low-key event than Child's Play or the GDQs but i love it, i have watched since 2016 and the last two years i have taken my pre-SummerChaosAtWork holiday to coincide with the event and this year is no different. It started out in Essentia's House and has gradually outgrown there and has moved to a bigger venue as you can see from the early event playlists.

Date:
The event runs from 5th to 11th May 2019 in Salt Lake City.

The runs will vary in length from 33 minutes for Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition Any% to nearly 11 hours for Final Fantasy X Any% with 9 runners taking part and hotswapping for that run. As you can see they are not afraid to run 4+ hour segments unlike GDQ etc. The longer runs are great for doing housework or grinding in your own RPGs which is part of my attraction to the event.. or even lounging on the sofa drinking Gin... i mean doing Housework. There are the usual prizes, donation incentives for naming characters or routes to take etc.

Some of the people involved:
Gyre
BOWIEtheHERO
eLmaGus
Zheal
BubblesDelFuego
bichphuongballz
kirbymastah
EverH8 - You will see many of the runs have characters renamed to Everh8 or the like. Everh8 was a speedrunner, community member and friend to many of the runners and it's a tradition to get a few characters named for him as donation incentives.

... and a few of the usual suspects you recognise from GDQ also pop-up on the couch if they are not doing a run themselves.

The Demon Chocobo!
Imagine speedrunning an RPG. Think of all the menu work is involved and the speed and precision required. Now picture doing it with this as the backdrop. Welcome to Hell! Hope that the donors are merciful!

For an example screenshot see this Essentia tweet.

All Hail the Demon Chocobo!
Awww, FFVI isn't being ran this year so no Demon Chocobo as i don't think there's an analogue in other games. Sorry folks. I know it's a GDQ thing but many of the runners support both so there's some cross-over here.

RPG Limit Break 2019 MetaCouncil Thread

Links:
Home: RPG Limit Break
Schedule: RPG Limit Break 2019 – RPG Limit Break
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpglimitbreak
Discord: Join the RPG Limit Break Discord Server!

NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness: NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Watch:
Youtube: RPG Limit Break
Twitch: Twitch

Past Events:

RPG Limit Break 2019 - Here when uploaded:

RPG Limit Break 2018:

RPG Limit Break 2017:

RPG Limit Break 2016:

RPG Limit Break 2015:

I'll be posting sporadically in here next week and hopefully some of you are interested too and i'll see you in here.
It's my first thread so be nice to me. lol!

Save the frames or the animals? Which to choose?

Last edited:
OP
EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Give it a shot, i'd say start with the 2017/2018 events as they had better audio are easier to follow. The event has been getting bigger and more polished over the years though so it's been interesting to see the event improve but keep the same community feel to it.

As i said a bunch of the runners familiar to GDQ watchers either run the event, run a game or turn up to commentate so you get people like Essentia, Brosentia, Puwexil turning up.

Oh, nice i've just noticed that Pa-Sama is running, she's great... and dwangoac and DragonDarch. Cool.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte
OP
EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Quick bump as i forgot to bump the thread yesterday when the event started as i've been playing KH3 with this on in the background. So far it's been great with the Shadow Hearts Covenant 6 hour, 3 people run this morning getting some laughs. The current run is Tales of Zestria which i know nothing about so it's been interesting.

The room should start filling with audience now as i think the americans are waking up, us europeans mainly see a quiet room, lol.

Reactions: lashman
OP
EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Well i've done a terible job of updating this thread during the week and i'm going to blame KH3 but i'll post some vods after the event ends of some of the runs. So far they've raised $112,621 which is not bad for a growing event and i've seen lots of new and returning people in the chat so it seems to be gaining interest which is great.

Anyway, BubblesDelFuego has a Dark Souls Any% run starting soon and i figured some of you may be interested in catching it.

Reactions: lashman