Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
So, I tried a bit of Arcanum yesterday, after getting the HD mod working and such.

It seems interesting so far, but if I might nit-pick a little...

The guy you meet at the beginning tells you that you need to hurry and find his teacher (or some such). So you go to Shrouded Hills, were you find out that he moved on to some other town. The guy with you tells you that you should hurry up and go there. But he doesn't tell you where it is.

So apparently, you're supposed to loiter around town, and someone else in a side mission will give you the directions to the town you need to go to.
That seems a very weird way to go about the main quest?

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Fucking hell, I've spent the weekend arguing with people (mostly game developers) that EGS is a piece of crap of a software, and their best answer was features are coming, and it's pretty common with lean development to release an MVP (minimum viable product) at first, and iterate on it later.

But damn I've released countless of MVP in my life.
Even excluding the majority of times when an MVP end up becoming the finished product because the team efforts are moved towards other projects, EGS can only be considered "minimum" and "product", but the hell, that's not "viable" at all.
At WordPress.com we created a feature called Simple Payments, which is basically a way to sell stuff on a site without the overhead of learning and maintaining a full e-commerce software. That thing was released as an MVP with 10x more features than what a supposedly full fledged store like EGS has now.

At this point I guess the only way to keep the conversation going is just through trolling and flaming. ¯\(ツ)

Deleted member 113

I apologise for going completely out of topic for a moment, but allow me to make a completely random question, and ask: is anyone in here from Italy?
If anyone is, can you please let me know if tickets for the Coppa Italia Final are already on sale? Is there an official website to purchase (legal) tickets to the game?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I apologise for going completely out of topic for a moment, but allow me to make a completely random question, and ask: is anyone in here from Italy?
If anyone is, can you please let me know if tickets for the Coppa Italia Final are already on sale? Is there an official website to purchase (legal) tickets to the game?

I'm from Italy. I don't follow football (or soccer :p) but I tried to find some info. Apparently last year tickets went on sale after the two semifinals were completed so they're not on sale yet. The only official way to buy tickets online should be through Ticketone. I'll keep an eye out for any update and let you know.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Impulse bought Supraland thanks to being a great price and good word of mouth. Really great so far, love the puzzles and sense of progression. Also looks alot longer than I thought it would be based on the price. Recommended.
I figured some people here would like it based on the games that seem to resonate I just didn't expect it to be such a success. It's not breaking any records, but it peaked at 600 concurrent yesterday. It has 0 reviews on metacritic (as expected), and I don't expect much from sites like RPS or PC Gamer. Pretty cool.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com

I'm from Italy, but I don't know shit about football and I don't live in Italy anymore. I'm as clueless as you on this. :(

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Stuck at an optional boss in Sekiro. I could move on but I won't because I can't let go.

Send help!

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Let's talk about how satisfying it was when you deflect guardian ape. God damn, when I saw him raise that thing all the way in the air I was like "oh shit." When he finally slammed it down, that clang was the most satisfying sound effect in the entire game.
That is greatly satisfying too but let's not forget the real MVP, lightning reversal.. Jesus that is most satisfying thing I've ever done.

lashman sleeping, add my name to OP already! I demand fame and glory.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
“I think the barriers have been lowered by putting [Yakuza] on Steam. Currently, other platforms for Judge Eyes have not been decided yet, but it is being considered as one of the options. We are evaluating the possibilities of not just Steam but also other platforms.”
This is translated from an interview on IGN Japan with Yakuza producer... I'm totally fine if they wanna put the PC version on "other platforms" but I'm really hoping "other platforms" isn't an outstretched hand/invitation waiting for a money bag from Epic.

SEGA pls.
============

Also this stealth released yesterday. It's a pretty highly praised A-RPG from Exe-Create.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm at Sekiro final boss with all bosses and pretty much all mini-bosses defeated and the whole map explored so I think I can express a couple of thoughts on the game. I liked it, not really loved it. My problem with the game lies with the aspects I already criticized in the PC thread (on Era) when I was only a few hours in, nothing really changed or clicked for me throughout the entire game.

I know many people like to dismiss any kind of comparison with From previous titles since they're different games but I don't agree with that argument, a lot of aspects and mechanics of the Souls series and Bloodborne are also in Sekiro, so I think it's important to compare it with those games.

What it's missing in Sekiro - at least for me - is that sense of accomplishment, of progress, of constant discovery that made the Dark Souls games so great and gave you the will and the curiosity to keep exploring, looking around for new things, new paths, new tools, new characters and die - a lot - while trying. Those deaths never felt as a mere 'git gud' moment like they do in Sekiro, they were part of the process to become a better version of yourself in the game, get back your souls, use them to improve your character and in the meantime, death after death, you also studied the strategy to beat your enemy, weak points, things to avoid, things to do and so on. That's not in Sekiro, which also tries to apply the same level design philosophy of discovering new paths while dying but fails to give you anything to make you feel compelled in doing that.

And that's also my criticism when it comes to boss fights (both with main bosses and with all those mini-bosses), there's no real sense of progress, it just boils down to a mnemonic exercise where you have to memorize every attack pattern by every boss and just be able to deflect all that can be deflected, Mikiri counter what can be countered and avoid the rest, all while being aggressive and not conservative in your fighting technique. That's it. That's all you do and how you approach every single enemy in the game no matter how big or how small, how fast or how slow or how wide its attacks are, it all boils down to the same exact approach so, after a while, you just stop being amazed by new encounters, you just like or dislike how every given boss looks and say "ok, let's do the same thing again".

The difficulty in From Software previous titles was part of the journey, in Sekiro it's just a brick wall you have to climb, every time in the same way, and it stops being fun after a while.

And that's it. That's the only main criticism I have towards this game that otherwise is brilliant, great characters, great scenarios, great combat, but it's a big issue I found that permeates the whole game and makes it less enjoyable than I expected.

Reactions: Prodigy and SRossi

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Reading this and a couple of other links shared by the same guy on Twitter, it looks like the gaming industry is at that point where it just takes its customers for granted, like many other companies in the tech industry have done during the past few years. It's all about X company vs developers without even considering what each company offers to those buying the games and if that can impact game sales.

Deleted member 113

I'm from Italy. I don't follow football (or soccer :p) but I tried to find some info. Apparently last year tickets went on sale after the two semifinals were completed so they're not on sale yet. The only official way to buy tickets online should be through Ticketone. I'll keep an eye out for any update and let you know.
I'm from Italy, but I don't know shit about football and I don't live in Italy anymore. I'm as clueless as you on this. :(
Thanks. :)

I'm not from Italy, but I've been meaning to go to Rome for a few days, and since I would also like to see a game from Atalanta (and they are close to securing a place in the final), I'm considering going, if tickets aren't very expensive and I can get one. :giggle:

I'll be checking Ticketone. ;)

40% off, great reviews but no one bought so I will now.
I did! At launch!

But, it's yet another game that joined that black hole that I call my backlog. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Fucking hell, I've spent the weekend arguing with people (mostly game developers) that EGS is a piece of crap of a software, and their best answer was features are coming, and it's pretty common with lean development to release an MVP (minimum viable product) at first, and iterate on it later.

But damn I've released countless of MVP in my life.
Even excluding the majority of times when an MVP end up becoming the finished product because the team efforts are moved towards other projects, EGS can only be considered "minimum" and "product", but the hell, that's not "viable" at all.
At WordPress.com we created a feature called Simple Payments, which is basically a way to sell stuff on a site without the overhead of learning and maintaining a full e-commerce software. That thing was released as an MVP with 10x more features than what a supposedly full fledged store like EGS has now.

At this point I guess the only way to keep the conversation going is just through trolling and flaming. ¯\(ツ)
I mean if I were a developer I wouldnt talk shit about the EGS, what if a money bag lands in my table?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
"An EGS exclusive would mean that the dev could finance a game that they have envisioned but could not deliver because of budget concerns"
EGS exclusive releases without soundtrack

wake up sheeple! This is just vacation money for the CEO's and will most likely not put into the current or next game.
;)

But seriously, anyone who beliefs that is naive. No-one is insane enough to put the full EGS money into the budget of the current or next game. especially if they are publisher owned. The studio will pitch their next game to their publisher (or get told what to make) and that game will have a budget that is dependent on the sales projection. The EGS money will not be included into that budget.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
"An EGS exclusive would mean that the dev could finance a game that they have envisioned but could not deliver because of budget concerns"
EGS exclusive releases without soundtrack

wake up sheeple! This is just vacation money for the CEO's and will most likely not put into the current or next game.
;)

But seriously, anyone who beliefs that is naive. No-one is insane enough to put the full EGS money into the budget of the current or next game. especially if they are publisher owned. The studio will pitch their next game to their publisher (or get told what to make) and that game will have a budget that is dependent on the sales projection. The EGS money will not be included into that budget.
OST will trickle down soon!

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
started some shlooter BL GotY with a siren character and im sure having a terrible time finding good weapons and dont feel like wasting keys for a chance of something good. Still having a good time going through it again though

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Easy on PC to play whatever music you want in the background but it's not only the soundtrack, the whole sound design of DD (and both Danger Zones) is abysmal, we're talking pre-Need for Speed 1 here. Which also had nicer menus and an overall better presentation. Too bad no one (except me (until now)) is buying your games but there are reasons for that and they aren't the store you're selling on. Arcade racers aren't 'in' anymore to begin with so everything needs to be as good as can be. Low budget? Ask the GRIP devs.

Ah and the post launch support was poor for Dangerous Golf, there was a patch which at least fixed the wait time when restarting but for example the leaderboards never worked correctly so I couldn't compare scores with my friends. Rather unfortunate for a score-based game like this.

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
The laughable sucking up to Epic is getting ridiculous now. The 12% is clearly unsustainable and we now have devs shitting out half completed games that instead of selling 100k copies at $30 sell 1 copy to Sweeney for millions and devs think this is sustainable? So what's the endgame, steam is destroyed and everyone makes billions on Epic? Ha, wait till they increase the costs, next year in fact.

Making a game isn't a license to succeed, making a game isn't a license to tell customers what to do. The relationship between the consumer and pub/dev is completely one-sided. They need to sell, I don't need to do anything. I don't need the game to live, breath etc... it is a completely optional luxury item that carries no prestige. Thinking you can put limits on how a customer can interact with you is an economic fallacy and falling into the arms of a disingenuous con-man, well, good luck!

Last edited:

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole

If you enjoy the emergent stories that come to being in sandbox games like Mount & Blade and Battle Brothers, I highly recommend checking out Kenshi. I've been having a great time with it over the past couple of days.
If this game had a coop mode I'd be all over it. Seems like a damn good game but it's hard to get in to really, I've tried a few times but the UI fights me and the world feels "alienating"

Recrees

Dec 31, 2018
Czechia
Hey, do we have a Steam group?

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
No controller support...

:wd_poop:
You could probably play it with a Steam controller, but it might not be ideal. You can pause whenever you want though.

If this game had a coop mode I'd be all over it. Seems like a damn good game but it's hard to get in to really, I've tried a few times but the UI fights me and the world feels "alienating"
Personally I find the world really refreshing. You start off as a nobody (well, depending on which start you choose). Even the mere act of leaving the Hub's walls is terrifying at first. You slowly begin to build some confidence in what you're capable of, and through character progression and companions to aid you you begin to reach out. Do it too recklessly and you might end up beaten down and taken as a slave.

Traveling alongside others offers the protection of numbers.

Or journey alone into the dangers that await you ahead.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
The laughable sucking up to Epic is getting ridiculous now. The 12% is clearly unsustainable and we now have devs shitting out half completed games that instead of selling 100k copies at $30 sell 1 copy to Sweeney for millions and devs think this is sustainable? So what's the endgame, steam is destroyed and everyone makes billions on Epic? Ha, wait till they increase the costs, next year in fact.

Making a game isn't a license to succeed, making a game isn't a license to tell customers what to do. The relationship between the consumer and pub/dev is completely one-sided. They need to sell, I don't need to do anything. I don't need the game to live, breath etc... it is a completely optional luxury item that carries no prestige. Thinking you can put limits on how a customer can interact with you is an economic fallacy and falling into the arms of a disingenuous con-man, well, good luck!
But you didn't think of the children devs, always put devs first.

Frecklestein

Tender, Violent and Queer.
Oct 23, 2018
Cool. I'll join later. But just imagine me doing this when I do.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018

Also, apparently at their GDC talk they mentioned that they don't intend to just infinitely let devs onto the store (not that they are doing that now), there is an upper limit to the number they're willing to allow on. Which regardless if true or not is them trying to push publishers to come to them sooner rather than later. They also apparently said they aren't going out and looking for publishers themselves, which suggests they have enough under consideration already. So many of the people bashing Steam and defending Epic will be forced to use Steam anyway because of Epic's decisions, it's staggering. But at least they'll have the choice to play those games that otherwise wouldn't get onto their totally legitimately favorite platform....

Reactions: lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Found through ERA: Dangerous Driving review - a pared-back thrill

"the soundtrack, ingeniously, is handed over to Spotify"

The ingenuity, wow, praise them. Note that Spotify is integrated into the PS4's and X1's OS', so you can do this in every game, the music doesn't interact in any way with what's going on either way. I like how the comments call the review out for being biased because they're all British though.

What I also found on ERA is a thread about that ex-Valve guy's tweets. 6 pages of pain, then closed.

Ohhhh. James is an ass, and we won't be working with him again. Same dude?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.