Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Thinking again on the Chromium update for Edge, I realized that one of Microsoft's main things they touted about Edge compared to other browsers like Chrome, the performance and energy consumption, probably isn't going to be there any more because now, it's basically Chrome. They are trimming Google stuff from the browser framework, but they're probably going to add a similar amount of Microsoft stuff, like Cortana and inking support the current version has.

Reactions: lashman

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
I don't understand the hype for World of Goo, I remember it playing years ago and finding it very shit, It was a really poor port of Wii version, I don't think you could change the resolution and the mouse controls are awful. Did Epic run of the money to get anything else?

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I don't understand the hype for World of Goo, I remember it playing years ago and finding it very shit, It was a really poor port of Wii version, I don't think you could change the resolution and the mouse controls are awful. Did Epic run of the money to get anything else?
I don't get it either, but I think it's a great game and a pretty solid port for it's day of 2008. But it's so old and been on sale so much, I don't see the point of getting excited for it on a new store.
Wait, are people getting excited? I was just inferring that.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
The amount of Atelier games on Steam is too damn high.

But in all seriousness as someone whose PS3 library was 40% Atelier games I love this new reality where they are all just on PC.
btw has someone managed to fix up the Arland Collection resolution issues?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So for whatever reason its not listed on either store page, But the Neptunia VII + VIIR bundle is really cheap, but you have to search to find it. So if you already have VII and want to get VIIR for $5 you can.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I don't get it either, but I think it's a great game and a pretty solid port for it's day of 2008. But it's so old and been on sale so much, I don't see the point of getting excited for it on a new store.
Wait, are people getting excited? I was just inferring that.
Think it was on the very first humble bundle. Or at a least in the first 3. When you could pay $0.01 for the bundle and still get the full thing.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, I can see that. I'll see how I deal with that. Go through it blind first and then decide what to do next, I guess.
"Auto-save makes your choices final whether you want to or not" might not be the greatest idea.
How many endings are there?
A handful I think, but there are some choice achievements on the way which are hard to get with the way the game saves.

In other news: Hello, Goodbye is finally out! I thought the release was back on Tuesday, but I was wrong.

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
From what I played it was really dope. Really looking forward to it
From what you played would you liken it to obvious comparisons like Salt and Sanctuary, Hollow Knight, Unworthy, Death's Gambit? I hope to see more gameplay this coming week. If not, I'll probably wait (if I can, I'm impulsive) for a few streams/reviews.

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
From what you played would you liken it to obvious comparisons like Salt and Sanctuary, Hollow Knight, Unworthy, Death's Gambit? I hope to see more gameplay this coming week. If not, I'll probably wait (if I can, I'm impulsive) for a few streams/reviews.
It's a lot more deliberate and weighty than Salt and Sanctuary and Death's Gambit. But the kernel of gameplay is quite similar.

Reactions: lashman and Casper

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
afaik, and it's really a long time ago already so i could misremember, but the pc version is not ported. it was a native pc game that was ported at the same time (from a different team) to the wii.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

That's bad. Real bad.
Yeah, In fact, for a project like this, I'd say it's almost impossible to get a commercial license without rewriting most of it (and then it's no longer that project).

Because all the contributors over many years contributed their cude under the terms of the non-commercial license. Even if all current developers agreed (which clearly they don't) you can't retroactively apply a different license to those earlier contributions.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
It's always sad when these companies are basically screwing emulator developers who probably have contributed more to ROM preservation than the IP holder had ever done.
It's not clear yet if Capcom was knowingly trying to pull a fast one or if that dude mentioned later in the video told them 'it's fine, just give me money' and no one asked Capcom's legal department. They scrubbed their website for now so things are happening in the background.

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

Deleted member 113

I bought Konami's Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics, not noticing that the specs say it requires Windows 10 - 64bit, and I'm still using Windows 7 Professional 64bit. :giggle:

I'm getting the following error:

There's no way to "bypass" this problem, right?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I bought Konami's Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics, not noticing that the specs say it requires Windows 10 - 64bit, and I'm still using Windows 7 Professional 64bit. :giggle:
You're still using W7? :wd_hot:

Well, you could try loading the game in W8.1 if you have access to it. Other than that, maybe see if you can extract the ROMs and using a standalone emulator instead?

Kylac

Apr 17, 2019
Capcom's fighting game division being incompetent is nothing new. The last decade has been pretty poor from them. Which is especially embarrassing considering how much SF4 did for fighting games.

Reactions: Prodigy

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I'm getting the following error:

There's no way to "bypass" this problem, right?
Googled it a bit and yeah seems it needs functions that Win7 lacks. Might be you get lucky and said functions are added when they do that halfway compatibility with Direct X12 thing they're doing for World of Warcraft and some other games' DX12 version to run on 7.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

You're still using W7? :wd_hot:

Well, you could try loading the game in W8.1 if you have access to it. Other than that, maybe see if you can extract the ROMs and using a standalone emulator instead?
Unfortunately, I don't have access to Win 8.1, and the ROMs don't appear to be easily reached. :confused:

If I update the OS to Win 10 soon-ish, what would be my cheapest option?

---

In other news, here's a couple more games that launched today:

Deleted member 113

I saw we were talking about Atelier games. I legit messaged the KT Community Rep to try and get prices lowered at some point. They said the pricing is all handled by Japan but they would try to bring it up.
KT could really improve how they market their PC games.

The price tag of their games wouldn't be too bad if, soon after launch, they didn't have a ridiculous amount of DLCs (some are cosmetic, but many times there are missions, and actual content that represents an added expense, if you want to get the "full package"), and they pretty much never have sales on most of the DLCs. :(

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Personally, I would still recommend getting W8.1 instead if you can source a license for it. Unless you specifically need DX12 support, W8.1 still performs on par with W10, admirably so. Probably even better since Windows Update won't break Gsync or whatever else the next W10 Update feels like breaking.

Deleted member 113

Afaik MS never turned off the free upgrades from 7 to 10 despite saying they would. Ask Google for specifics but if you have a 7 key there should be a way.

fakeedit: Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet (warning, autoplay -> loud music)
Thanks!

I'll try to upgrade, one of these days, when I have time on my hands.

Now, I just need to find where I put my OS key (it was a free license for college students, and I don't know where I put the DVD with the installation files, and my key).
I know I have it stored in an email, or in a doc file, in case I ever needed it again, I just have to find exactly where, in the middle of all the crap I have on my hard drive. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I saw we were talking about Atelier games. I legit messaged the KT Community Rep to try and get prices lowered at some point. They said the pricing is all handled by Japan but they would try to bring it up.
Darn, that explains everything huh. Their games are absolutely the most pricey ones on Steam, no close competitors. Even the Western AAA ones are cheaper here. What makes it worse is that they never lower the prices even after years being sold on Steam.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Oh right, Katana Zero released in the timespan since I'm awake. Wanted to pick that up the minute it got online since I'm looking at it since 2015 or 2016 but I'm currently knee deep in other games like Dragon Quest XI and Supraland and other games for Backlog Blitzes that I probably will wait a bit.

Too many games, enough money for them, too little time. :surrenderblob:

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Is Life Force supposed to have heavy slow downs even in first level when not a lot is going on or is the emulation shite?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks!

I'll try to upgrade, one of these days, when I have time on my hands.

Now, I just need to find where I put my OS key (it was a free license for college students, and I don't know where I put the DVD with the installation files, and my key).
I know I have it stored in an email, or in a doc file, in case I ever needed it again, I just have to find exactly where, in the middle of all the crap I have on my hard drive. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Try this vbscript if you don't want to try a possibly dodgy Key Finder app.
VBScript to get Windows OS Key

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Hmm, not sure why that's an embed. I just copied the Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Compact-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B06XC1WNPT?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

The Strife is a different model, note how it doesn't have the media buttons on top left. So I can't speak about them. It's both from Corsair, so maybe not that different?
Just don't know how I do do with a TKL, I use the numpad for games like nethack/necrodancer/etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.