Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
By the way, Streets 4 is the latest object of RPS struggle to affirm its individuality.
The reviewer admits to more or less not get beat them all. Turns out he doesn't like Streets 4. Shock, awe. He finally laments the fact that Streets 4 is indeed a bts, and not some magically evolved brawler reinventing the wheel.
Saved you a click, don't thank me.

Disclaimer - I may distort things and this is a wonderful piece, I skimmed.
I thought it was a pretty positive review.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
By the way, Streets 4 is the latest object of RPS struggle to affirm its individuality.
The reviewer admits to more or less not get beat them all. Turns out he doesn't like Streets 4. Shock, awe. He finally laments the fact that Streets 4 is indeed a bts, and not some magically evolved brawler reinventing the wheel.
Saved you a click, don't thank me.

Disclaimer - I may distort things and this is a wonderful piece, I skimmed.
I read it, you're not distorting things. Non-arguments all over the place and a clear indication the writer played through it once out of obligation with however many continues and left it at that as if the point is to finish the game, never actually getting good at it or telling us if the game has nothing to get good at because it's unbalanced or has whatever actual issues. The same non-arguments could be said about any genre, from shmups to whatever else, that they feel is outdated and overdone (er, how many great beat 'em ups do we even get these days, and they compare it to games like Dead Cells, wtf) and needs to get fresh in some way without explaining how when people who actually play these games know novelty for the sake of it (like 3D graphics and mechanics as in games like Fighting Force or that once upon a time PS2 poster child, Bouncer) usually leads to lesser games. Constantly just bashes the genre as a has been basically, as if we don't go back to play the classics we enjoyed or missed back in the day thanks to emulation just because they have something to offer, or like Streets of Rage is the same as Battle Circuit is the same as Shadow over Mystara is the same as Armored Warriors is the same as River City is the same as whatever, so long as they don't innovate and provide something that's technically never been done before as opposed to just great fighting systems and encounters which are deemed not enough, or at least not explaining why they're not great in a game found to be sub par for anyone but nostalgic fools who liked wasting money on unfair coin op games (when we all know the appeal was they were not unfair and you could get good at shit, the unfair were panned).

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I like what I like, and I have no problem admitting it. ;)
I really enjoyed my time with plenty of games that were destroyed in reviews (that I bought anyway, because if I like the look of something, if it catches my interest, I couldn't care less about what reviews say).
I love Boiling Point (most reviews destroyed the game). I loved the last Splatterhouse game (most reviews were painfully bad, or at best mediocre; thankfully, since then I've seen some people re-appreciating the game in a good light). And there's plenty of other examples.

I'll never stop stanning for Candice.

She's such a sassy bitch.

From my 2017 GOTY post:

2. Candice DeBébé's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle (PC)

Candice is a grand odyssey of lo-fi jank. It looks like a train-wreck on the surface, but its hidden depths reveal a folk-art masterwork. It's like this one guy had a grand vision but not so much the raw talent. Yet...no one told him that, so he proceeded to brute force the production. To write, program, record dialogue & music...basically just do everything himself. And the results are glorious.

Evil pop singer Krystal has stolen the tan-van from Candice's best friend in the trailer park, leaving her without a way to maintain her sexy, glowing orange complexion. Now it's up to Candice to travel the world getting her magic back for the final showdown with Krystal. A crazy setup, but the 10+ hour story has a lot of heart.

The trailer says it all. On a side note, I spent a good number of weeks completely obsessed with the Soundtrack and still rock it on my phone to this day.

Strange oddity, Candice has her own Twitter feed (played completely in character) that still sees daily updates. Now that's commitment to your art!

I was recently perusing reviews for Lobotomy Corporation and came across this brilliant line from RPS.

"This supernatural research and containment sim straddles that treacherously thin line between brilliance and disaster, which is of course where all the most interesting games end up."

So damn good. It perfectly describes my passion for scrappy & often janky garage-development indies.

I'm totally stealing that line for future use.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For Uncharted 1 the music was pretty good, I can't say that it was "memorable" other than a few sounds. But it did a good job with getting you in the "mood" (tension/atmosphere type stuff).

Also for some reason when ever I looked out at the ocean and the Vistas I was reminded of OG Far Cry 1. Which I think had only released 2-3 years prior (wasn't Uncharted 1 a 2006 release?)

Back in 2005 or so did Naughty Dog have a big staff? Or were they still relatively small? And would only work on one game at a time type of thing? And with the recent news of them, and the crunch and all of that. I never thought about games being able to give developers stuff like PTSD. I would think that some of the Dead Space devs might have something like that, seeing how they had to look at some pretty messed up car wrecks in order to get the necromorphs to have both some human characters but to also have them look appalling.

-----

What's BTS?

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
For Uncharted 1 the music was pretty good, I can't say that it was "memorable" other than a few sounds. But it did a good job with getting you in the "mood" (tension/atmosphere type stuff).

Also for some reason when ever I looked out at the ocean and the Vistas I was reminded of OG Far Cry 1. Which I think had only released 2-3 years prior (wasn't Uncharted 1 a 2006 release?)

Back in 2005 or so did Naughty Dog have a big staff? Or were they still relatively small? And would only work on one game at a time type of thing? And with the recent news of them, and the crunch and all of that. I never thought about games being able to give developers stuff like PTSD. I would think that some of the Dead Space devs might have something like that, seeing how they had to look at some pretty messed up car wrecks in order to get the necromorphs to have both some human characters but to also have them look appalling.

-----

What's BTS?
TLOU2 supposedly has some of the most gruesome and realistic gore we've seen in a game. This isn't the first time that there's news of developers having a hard time with it.

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Today's FREE game for Alienware Arena LVL 2+ members is "Super Inefficient Golf":

Reactions: Deleted member 113

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So with Valhalla, Assassin's Creed becomes even more RPG than ever before.

There's settlement, which is basically your home base that you regularly see in CRPGs, and there's the online-based mercenary system taken straight from Dragon's Dogma. And of course, they emphasize on choices multiple times in their website.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Gonna play AC Valhalla day 1 with uPlay+ and then buy it when it's cheap :evilblob:

Or when it's coming to Steam, I have all AC games on Steam goddammit Ubi.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
and a clear indication the writer played through it once out of obligation with however many continues and left it at that as if the point is to finish the game, never actually getting good at it
Nice that you say that, I was wondering earlier how you guys handle arcade games and continues. Do you go infinite and try to better your score ? Diminish your continues ? Or restrict the use of the option to a particular number ?

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Valhalla is EGS and Uplay only.

Guess Im gonna go with Uplay+ when it releases and buy it when it's cheaper.
I learn this with this tweet :

Apparently, some people don't understand the meaning of the words they use.

Few seconds later :

Maybe that's because you don't know how to speak. :steam_cleanseal:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I buy Ubi games on Uplay anyway, even with Steam features, I'm not a fan of running million launchers simultaneously, and that's the only way to play their new games outside of Uplay.

Jokes on Ubi tho, guess they need a fee years of dwindling revenue to stop this circus.

Reactions: lashman

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
microTech: Clio, Calliope, Euterpe
Desolate, dangerous, and… beautiful. The harshest climes in Stanton are awaiting new footprints, though only the hardiest explorers need apply. From the snowy serenity of Clio to the blistered peaks of Caliope, via the rocky tundra of Euterpe, there’s adventure to be had a short jump from New Babbage.

Mission: Prisoner Transfer
Dispatch calling all available units - Code Four in Stanton. Pirates have captured a Drake Caterpillar transporting classified organic cargo. Be careful, we’ve had reports that they're heavily armed and extremely dangerous.

Player Status: Hot & Cold, Hunger & Thirst
The bitter weather of microTech can leave unprepared adventurers or hapless pilots frozen solid in minutes. Luckily, the mobiGlas now supports real-time body status readings. Now, you’ll know to take shelter when the weather gets too cold (or hot) to handle. And don’t forget to pack enough food and drink before heading out on an adventure to stave off hunger and dehydration.

Personal Inventory & Inner Thought
Everyone in the ‘verse now has their very own inventory system to keep vital weapons, life-saving consumables, and ludicrous sunglasses handy at all times. Plus, it’s easier than ever to interact with the world and its inhabitants thanks to a rework of the Inner Thought system.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Valhalla is EGS and Uplay only.
it feels good to not have to buy ubi games anymore .... my wallet certainly is happy

i'll just watch the present day bits on youtube and be done with it ... that's all i was really interested in anyway

oh well

Disappointing, I was really hoping they would keep the Assassin's Creed series on Steam. I guess I'll skip it then.
same ... first AssCreed i won't be buying at release (or potentially ever)

Maybe that's because you don't know how to speak. :steam_cleanseal:
i really wish i could stop seeing nibel's tweets ... i have him muted on twitter for a reason

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I buy Ubi games on Uplay anyway, even with Steam features, I'm not a fan of running million launchers simultaneously, and that's the only way to play their new games outside of Uplay.

Jokes on Ubi tho, guess they need a fee years of dwindling revenue to stop this circus.
I generally play ubi games through Uplay without much of a thought attached to it. Some I own through Steam but I think probably more direct through Uplay. Don't really care much about doing it either, it's just the way it is.
Would I like to consolidate everything through Steam? Sure I would but not at a cost to me and certainly not if there is any effort I need put in to make it happen.

Is the Uplay client still dogshit? Yep, but it mostly works and its annoying stuff is generally the same in Origin as well and I use that for EA games without much negative thought.
I'd feel different about it I expect if I had a hundred games or more on Uplay, but for managing what is way under .01% of all my games it's not a big issue.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Microtech is as awesome as ever, it just runs really badly on my Shadow :p.

I don't really have it in me to fly with the 3.5 FM revamp that gutted a large part of the physics simulation and IFCS complexity. There's a lot of talk happening surrounding flight and I'm waiting to see in what direction it goes. Still an amazing game no matter what but it still hurts :).

Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Battle Chasers is indeed pretty fun. And it indeed requires CheatEngine speedhackery.
I have 6 hours on Steam, and 8.5 ingame. I started using speedhacks after 1 hour, so make that 5 hours and 7.5 hours. So I'm shaving off ⅓ !
I honestly would have just stopped after that first hour if Durante hadn't reminded me of setting up the speedhack on the Steam Controller extra buttons.
Glad I didn't though, because as I said, it's fun! (just oh so sloooow)

Deleted member 113

So, the metroidvania section has a game I don't remember seeing.
Is it any good?

---

Also, a reminder that Humble is also having a sale, and for monthly subscribers they have better prices than Steam (and a few games are on sale there, and not on Steam, at least currently).

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD
Status
Not open for further replies.