Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Among 2020 Next Fest participants, the median game saw daily wishlist additions jump 421% during the fest, compared to the two weeks leading up to the event. [...] 5% experienced a decrease in their rate of wishlist additions.
Valve killing indie games all the time. :evilblob:

The rate of wishlisting remained elevated for the majority of games even after Next Fest ended, with the median game seeing a 15% increase in daily wishlist additions in the three weeks following Next Fest compared with the two weeks prior to the event.
This is a lot less interesting. The boost is small, and that is only for the 3 following weeks. You cannot realistically expect a festival of temporary demos to have a long-term effect after the demos were delisted.

To study Next Fest's impact on sales, we tracked whether Next Fest wishlist additions were converting to sales among the games that have been released since participating in the fest. The median released game saw an increase of 292% in "converting wishlists" made during Next Fest compared to converting wishlist additions made in the two weeks leading to Next Fest.
If I understand that statement right, then wishlist additions which occurred during the festival are ~ 4 times more likely to be converted to sales than the usual wishlist additions. That is a pretty impressive boost in wishlist quality.

Put that with the ~ 5x boost in wishlist quantity mentioned above, and that is a recipe for success. Basically, you get a surge in wishlist additions during the festival, and these wishlist additions are of higher quality because people tried the demo.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I was tempted to give the Zwei games a shot soon and that comparison honestly makes me even more eager to try them. I loved both Xanadu Next and Tokyo Xanadu but I bounced off Gurumin super hard. It just was not for me and I've been getting a similar vibe from Zwei 2, at least visually, so I was a little hesitant. But you make them sound pretty good!
The Zwei games are good. Ilvard Insurrection in particular is A+. Ony of my favorite Falcom stories probably and just very neat.
The similarities with Tokyo Xanadu are mostly surface level though (dungeons with scoring and light puzzles, and Kou uses the same weapon type as Ragna in Ilvard Insurrection)... but that's more than it shares with Xanadu Next, lol.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
My mailbox this past week or so:
Omno is now available
Eldest Souls in now available
The Ascent is now available
Grime is now available
Toodee and Topdee is now available
Starmancer is now available
Dreamscaper is now abailable
Death Trash is now available
Jupiter Hell is now available
Please stop :surrenderblob::notlikethisblob:

In all seriousness, this is a great sign of a healthy environment and platform.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Sorry, for interrupting again, with a post completely out of focus.
But I've been out from the gaming loop for such a long time...

Is Resident Evil 8 actually good. I enjoyed RE7, a lot. Is it in the same style/quality?

thx in advance.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Is Resident Evil 8 actually good. I enjoyed RE7, a lot. Is it in the same style/quality?

thx in advance.
Yeah. It's basically RE7 + RE4. If you liked RE7 it's more of the same but better in pretty much every conceivable way.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

thx in advance.
Without getting into spoilers, it tones down horror and/or jump scares. There are far more varied environments and enemies. It definitely has a different, yet familiar, feel compared to RE7.

Overall I loved it way more than 7, but I could understand someone liking it less than 7 depending on what they liked about 7 and depending on their thoughts on the story.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

:blobnoanime:
Might have to check that out before it disappears. But the Judge Dredd one is they top of my priority list at the moment.

2000AD Collection

Well worth the asking price for The Ballad of Halo Jones (great series by Alan Moore with an amazing protaganist) and Zenith (early Grant Morrison book, a cross between Cthulhu and Super Hero stories). But most of all America, an excellent look at the price that is paid for Democracy set in the Dredd universe. In fact there are very few books I wouldn't recommend in there.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The FF Remasters do appear to have a very real issue with scripts just not loading sometimes.
I had 3 moments in total, 2 of which during FF3, in which the game just didn't load an event, forcing me to Alt+F4 the game and having to replay a part.

i literally just defeated the boss of FF3, and instead of watching the ending, i am stuck watching this animation on loop

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Back 4 Blood is pretty bad.
Yea, overall impressions I'm seeing everywhere are pretty middling.

If it launches like this, and based on Evolve, I'm thinking Left 4 Dead was good in spite of Turtle Rock.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

thx in advance.
yes

Reactions: ISee

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
L4D just feels so timeless, it still holds up incredibly well today. Its simplicity just makes it so easy to drop in and play. There are no modern trappings like perks/traits/cosmetics/etc. and I think the game has held up better as a result though I can see why folks may be itching for something different yet similar.
Not saying no one can ever match it or surpass it, but I think it will always be tricky since it has so much mindshare when folks think of co-op horde games. I think even calling a game Back 4 Blood was a mistake just since it will always draw comparisons given the name convention.

I will say, Vermintide is way up there in terms of matching L4D, but I think it is because it largely found its own style rather than sticking to more familiar themes (e.g. zombies, military guns, etc.)

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Coming from the developers of Evolve

It's almost like Left 4 Dead's quality had something to do with Valve's involvement or something. Nah, couldn't be. Valve bad.
Isn't this just Quantum Conundrum all over again? Creator nurtured and helped out by Valve, go solo and the next game doesn't quite work out as well.

Or again again seeing as Evolve came out before Back 4 Blood.

On a completely unrelated topic. Today I learnt that Oxenfree II is coming out, even though it was announced back in April. This has made my day, loved the first one. Need to go back and see if I can get the best ending on the first one.

And on yet another completely unrelated unrelated unrelated note, we can now see why square was so keen to take a deal with EGS on The World Ends With You Neo.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Li Kao Forget SteamDeck the Yoko Taro approved OneXPlayer is much more powerful....

OneXPlayer - DroiX UK

... and ONLY €1,300. lol!
Is it, though? Intel Xe can't be much better than the RDNA2 based GPU into the Deck, and RAM is probably faster on the Deck too. Given that high resolution, most games will probably not perform well on the oneXplayer, or require you to use non-native resolution, which will not look great.
Deck feels like a better overall package.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

This could be nothing.
Maybe whatever was left of that Stadia canned horror game will come to fruition on Gamepass.

I wonder how much of it Kojima has/had rights over. If Google really did fund it he probably doesn't have much to work with so Phil will have to throw down a lot of $$$.

But Kojima is due for something soon as his team usually releases a new game every 3-4 years. The marketing for it has to ramp up anytime now.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So does this mean it fails at differentiating itself from Left4Dead or jus that is fails to be as good as Left4Dead?
Its trying too much to be modern Left 4 Dead(shamelessly), but misses everything that made Left 4 Dead great, the characters are unlikable, the maps are too short, the enemies are unremarkable, the AI director is too dumb, and everything around it is mediocre.

For what new is trying to do, the card system is just a gimmick that makes the default state of the game pretty bad, the weapon system with finding attachments through the map is somewhat neat, but both has color rarity for some reason and some weapons are pretty boring to use(theres a lot of weapons in this game).

Theres some fun to be had, but $0 to $10 fun, not $60.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Took a peek at Eurogamer stream of B4B. Well, this is certainly Left4FuckingDead with a fresh coat of paint alright. I don’t want to be unfair and too judgemental but this desire to go back to the well feels a little pathetic at first glance.
Not that it is not understandable, not saying that the game will be automatically bad because of it, but boy, this is Left4Dead.

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019

Looks good the new store page for games (Still i will never use ms store)

Im in windows 11 insider because im dumb
still 0 problems

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So does this mean it fails at differentiating itself from Left4Dead or jus that is fails to be as good as Left4Dead?
As someone who loved left4dead 1&2 and wanted something to replace it or at least succeed in its place it's #2 in that category

I played l4d2 every morning at work because I got in first by like 2-3 hours and did versus mode and regular runs etc and back 4 blood just feels off

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

I don't know if anyone here usually follows the modding scene for the Dark Souls series but I just discovered about Archthrones mod that has been worked on for DS3 and it sounds impressive:

Archthrones aims to bring some mechanics from Demon's Souls, such as world layout, soul form, world tendency, ect. while still keeping it within the Dark Souls universe. The world of Dark Souls 3 has been rearranged into 5 separate realms, each with their own story.

Archthrones will provide players with a completely new way to experience Dark Souls 3. Every map will be redesigned in some way to fit the new narrative. Every boss fight is completely new with incredible 3d models, as well as animations from other FromSoftware titles.

There will be many new enemies, npc questlines and many secrets to find, some big, others small. We hope you look forward to the eventual release!
According to on of the tweet replies they are aiming for a late 2022/early 2023 release.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
- test -

edit : ah ah, no thank you Meta, I knew I would be at the bottom of the page, you didn't fool my galaxy brain ! :drinking-blob:

And don't think poorly of me people, I spared you this shitty slot, now everybody can be top of page ! Hurrah !

Status
Not open for further replies.