Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
DAY KEEPS GETTING BETTER, HOLY FUCK!
Agreed, I just wish SE gave a bit more of a heads up since there are already so many games coming out, two weeks is crazy soon.

I think if I do pick up Tales of Arise, I might stick to just the base version, wish the delta between the base and ultimate version was not so pricey for what looks to only be costumes?
I'm stupid so I bought it already but agree, they always do the same shit.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
<doomposting>

Despite its themes, moon doesn't have the best pixel art style to begin with, so the bilinear filtering here ruins it even further. It looks worse when compared with the PSX original without any filtering.

</doomposting>

I'm still wishlisting it, of course! But I'll post more about this in the Steam Community later.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
now that's the special kind of "fuck you" only squeenix can deliver
IIrc, on its original release on Switch, Bravely Default II can be had for as little as $68 AUD. It's still expensive, of course, but that's just the way console games usually are.

Today, BD2 is listed with a $90 AUD base price with a 10% launch discount ($81). It has Denuvo on top of horrendous regional pricing. Squeenix is basically asking PC players to absorb the cost of Denuvo activations.

I'd recommend everyone not to purchase BD2 on day one, and to add insult to injury it's very much likely a barebones port, as per Durante's post earlier.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Emika Games, the lone developer behind games like the recently-released Summer of ‘58, has decided to leave game development “for an indefinite time” after Steam’s two-hour refund policy resulted in a “huge number of returns” of their latest title.

Summer of 58, released last month, has been well-reviewed on Steam, with an overall “Very Positive” rating and loads of fans leaving nice comments, giving particular praise to its atmosphere and jump scares. But as a short experience—it can be completed in around 90 minutes—that’s left the game vulnerable to Steam’s blanket two-hour refund policy.
This sucks for the developer. At the same time, I feel it's essential to keep the 2-hour refund policy in place as it's been an extremely useful feature for consumers. I'm not sure what other alternative measures can be done to prevent this sort of abuse from happening that doesn't result in making massive changes to the policy.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
IIrc, on its original release on Switch, Bravely Default II can be had for as little as $68 AUD. It's still expensive, of course, but that's just the way console games usually are.

Today, BD2 is listed with a $90 AUD base price with a 10% launch discount ($81). It has Denuvo on top of horrendous regional pricing. Squeenix is basically asking PC players to absorb the cost of Denuvo activations.

I'd recommend everyone not to purchase BD2 on day one, and to add insult to injury it's very much likely a barebones port, as per Durante's post earlier.
Yeah, definitely not a Day 1 buy, but I am still happy that it is coming. Let's see how's the port will turn out at the end.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Lmao thry increased the price by 50% here, thanks for saving me money, Square
What the hell? Hahaha.

I was just talking with my friend yesterday about how the price of Bravely Default 2 locally was lower than Square's usual standard. It still wasn't "buy it now" amazing (I'm talking like 8 dollars off the US base price), but we were hopeful that it signaled a sea change in SE regional pricing, similar to what we've recently seen from EA.

I opened MetaCouncil again this morning and had to squint at the BD2 price... "was that really how much it cost yesterday?" I checked, and they basically modified the pricing so yesterday's sale price is now today's base price.

Reeeeal smooth, guys. :smart-thinking-blob: Shit didn't even last 12 hours lol.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
<doomposting>

Despite its themes, moon doesn't have the best pixel art style to begin with, so the bilinear filtering here ruins it even further. It looks worse when compared with the PSX original without any filtering.

</doomposting>

I'm still wishlisting it, of course! But I'll post more about this in the Steam Community later.
Is that you Rincewind?

--

Why I can't buy Discworld Noir anywhere :confounded-face:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I'd buy Moon, but... I kinda spoiled the whole thing with a let's play. I don't think it'd be my cup of tea anyway.

Trying Myst out on Gamepass... Yup, I have no idea how do anythings.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Just finished Psychonauts 2.

Incredible game from start to finish. It feels "old school" and familiar like the first game, but with almost all its flaws removed and everything else greatly improved.

I was not a immediate fan of the first game when I started it, but by the end it had completely won me over (even with that last level). Aside from the long wait, this sequel is basically all we could have asked for.

Sure, I could nitpick it with some very minor flaws here and there but whatever, this is by far my favorite game this year.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Just finished Psychonauts 2.

Incredible game from start to finish. It feels "old school" and familiar like the first game, but with almost all its flaws removed and everything else greatly improved.

I was not a immediate fan of the first game when I started it, but by the end it had completely won me over (even with that last level). Aside from the long wait, this sequel is basically all we could have asked for.

Sure, I could nitpick it with some very minor flaws here and there but whatever, this is by far my favorite game this year.
This is good to hear! I'm around 4 hours in myself, but so far I've been absolutely blown away by Psychonauts 2's quality. It's amazing how well they've sanded away the rough edges from the first game while still retaining (and even improving on) P1's strengths.

Excited to play the rest of it, Double Fine knocked it out of the park!

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

This sucks for the developers. At the same time, I feel it's essential to keep the 2-hour refund policy in place as it's been an extremely useful feature for consumers. I'm not sure what other alternative measures can be done to prevent this sort of abuse from happening that doesn't result in making massive changes to the policy.
Put an achievement at the start of the game, problem solved.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

This sucks for the developers. At the same time, I feel it's essential to keep the 2-hour refund policy in place as it's been an extremely useful feature for consumers. I'm not sure what other alternative measures can be done to prevent this sort of abuse from happening that doesn't result in making massive changes to the policy.
The only thing I can think off would be for valve to have a sub 2 hour game option which then sets the refund timer to an hour instead of 2. If you are 2/3rds of the way through a game you should know if you like it or not.

Or maybe tie refunds to a completion achievement. Once you hit the completion achievement it goes against any refund requests.

Hate when people do this, for me the game is less than a subway or a takeaway. And assuming they didn’t screw the regional pricing you are just being a petty fuckwit.

Edit Mor beat me to it.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Looking at that indie list of Sony it is all stuff already announced or released. Not exactly what I had in mind for them to up their support of indie games. It’s kind of the epic store method of supporting indies.

And speaking of refunds Carrion is the only game I have refunded. I found it was too short and too linear for a Metroid style game. In this one instance I would say it is the perfect Gamepass Game. It’s that B movie that isn’t quite enjoyable enough to own but you don’t mind putting on when you see it on TV or joins Netflix.

• Eyes
Reactions: Li Kao and Tomasety

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Edit Mor beat me to it.
Great minds think alike :blobeyes: :blobeyes: :blobeyes:

Looking at that indie list of Sony it is all stuff already announced or released. Not exactly what I had in mind for them to up their support of indie games. It’s kind of the epic store method of supporting indies.
High profile indies always (which is not their fault, don't get me wrong, high profile indies are important too) as their customers are not used to certain type of indie, something more underground, something way more niche.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Says a lot about our society, when on the steam top-seller list Alien Fireteam is higher than Psychonauts 2.

I loathe games community sometimes :disapproval-blob:

• Sad
Reactions: Yoshi

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Says a lot about our society, when on the steam top-seller list Alien Fireteam is higher than Psychonauts 2.

Unfortunately I am part of the problem.

When I get to playing Psychonauts 2 it will probably be via GP on my Series S. on the other hand Aliens Fireteam is a game I can play with mates online and appears to be the first decent Aliens shooter since AVP.

So from a purchasing point of view Aliens is the winner for me.

I do take some solace in the fact it is third on the top sellers list in the uk and is only being beaten out by Aliens and Valves VR.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

Not really, what it says is that some people want games to play with their friends and have a good time while there's another group that was an amazing solo adventure. :blobmorning:

• Love
Reactions: Mivey and Tomasety

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Unfortunately I am part of the problem.

When I get to playing Psychonauts 2 it will probably be via GP on my Series S. on the other hand Aliens Fireteam is a game I can play with mates online and appears to be the first decent Aliens shooter since AVP.

So from a purchasing point of view Aliens is the winner for me.

I do take some solace in the fact it is third on the top sellers list in the uk and is only being beaten out by Aliens and Valves VR.
Not really, what it says is that some people want games to play with their friends and have a good time while there's another group that was an amazing solo adventure. :blobmorning:
I'm being cheeky

I'm single-player gamer by heart, but I do understand why people gravitate towards multi/co-op games thanks to playing with my mates last month.
I also know more people would be playing it on XGP.

I'm happy Psychonauts 2 got critical acclaim, I just hope more people play and sells well. What bums me is when great games don't sell well.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm being cheeky

I'm single-player gamer by heart, but I do understand why people gravitate towards multi/co-op games thanks to playing with my mates last month.
I also know more people would be playing it on XGP.

I'm happy Psychonauts 2 got critical acclaim, I just hope more people play and sells well. What bums me is when great games don't sell well.
I think Double Fine is currently in the great situation where they don't need it to sell well, just get lots of downloads on GamePass. That shows Microsoft that Psychonauts brings lots of attention to the service. Hopefully enough to keep funding Double Fine.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

For what it's worth, I'm using Game Pass on console to play it. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. I think the fact it has been hanging around the Steam top 5 since launch (and also being #1 on GOG) is extremely impressive.

Also I think the game is great. I replayed through the original Psychonauts a few months ago and hated nearly every moment of it due to the terrible controls and camera angles. It got so bad that I peaced out during the last level and just watched the ending on YouTube. Psychonauts 2's gameplay is significantly better.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Put an achievement at the start of the game, problem solved.
The game has 24 achievements.

On a side-note, I have searched through the reviews. There are exactly 4 (out of 322 reviews) which mention that the product has been refunded.

One does not have enough playtime to have finished the game, one left a negative review, and the other two have abused the refund process. So I would guess that there was indeed an issue with the refund process, but I am sceptical about the extent of this phenomenon. It must be less than 1% of customers.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
The game has 24 achievements.

On a side-note, I have searched through the reviews. There are exactly 4 (out of 322 reviews) which mention that the product has been refunded.

One does not have enough playtime to have finished the game, one left a negative review, and the other two have abused the refund process. So I would guess that there was indeed an issue with the refund process, but I am sceptical about the extent of this phenomenon. It must be less than 1% of customers.
How do you make rainbow borders? Can this be done with ShareX?

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.