Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Speaking of Death Stranding....Its Steamdb entry has not been updated for a few days while it used to be update almost daily.
Perhaps the bulk of the work is done.

The Director's Cut brings a lot of new interesting features.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Mor
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of Death Stranding....Its Steamdb entry has not been updated for a few days while it used to be update almost daily.
Perhaps the bulk of the work is done.

The Director's Cut brings a lot of new interesting features.
Well, it's also X-mas and new year season, a lot of people are out visiting family for the holidays :photoblobheart:

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Tuning network setup, tuns out some power saving features(?) combined with Hyper-V will absolutely destroy networking performance in some cases.
Still quite bit away from 1 Gbit tho.

I'm actually fine with less than 5% of those numbers. Frequent disconnects is what makes it unbearable.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I had an unexpected day to myself today and ive spent the whole day playing Rimworld.

My little colony was going pretty good up until i accepted a bunch of refugees who needed a roof and some grub for a few days, sure i said, come on in. About 2 days into their stay they double crossed my team and started attacking everyone. bastards.
Managed to fend them off but 3 of my team died. We executed the last two traitors in a public display but poor Poopey (love the random names some of the people get) had taken the brunt of a viscous knife attack and had a serious infection. We had to amputate and install a peg leg. He survived but is now very depressed and keeps starting fires. Also our pet Donkey died. Why would they attack the Donkey?

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
I had an unexpected day to myself today and ive spent the whole day playing Rimworld.

My little colony was going pretty good up until i accepted a bunch of refugees who needed a roof and some grub for a few days, sure i said, come on in. About 2 days into their stay they double crossed my team and started attacking everyone. bastards.
Managed to fend them off but 3 of my team died. We executed the last two traitors in a public display but poor Poopey (love the random names some of the people get) had taken the brunt of a viscous knife attack and had a serious infection. We had to amputate and install a peg leg. He survived but is now very depressed and keeps starting fires. Also our pet Donkey died. Why would they attack the Donkey?
… keeps starting fires :ROFLMAO:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Its not really a game to be picky with imo. If you play it then give it your full attention otherwise you won't appreciate how great it is.
While most games is about the adventure that will happen when you reach B from A, DS is about the adventure you have while getting from A to B.
Unfortunately I don’t feel like this makes it any clearer if it’ll be a game for me or not 😅

• Toucan
  • Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
AHA-Lambda It's tricky without sounding reductionist. The gameplay loop is very simple you hike around isolated wilderness with stacked crates on your back delivering reuired items to what are effectively quarantined communities and outposts. The terrain is uneven with streams, rivers ravines and mountains to navigate and there is an amount of physics applied to the boxes that make it more than just pointing a stick on a control pad.

There are hazards which are both natural like weather and slopes etc, supernatural and just other encampments of raiders dotted around. You gradually upgrade your kit and get tools to help you deal with things.

It is a Kojima game so expect LONG cutscenes at certain points in the game usually at major points or when introducing new aspects to the gameplay.

It has a haunting isolation to it which is difficult to describe and which transcends the seemingly simple gameplay. I'd watch some video previews and maybe spoiler free impressions as it's not easy to know if you'll love it or bounce right off it.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Been mulling this one over and reading impressions and watching reviews is making it no clearer; would I like Death Stranding?

Admittedly only reason I’m interested is because it’s Kojima, and at first glance package delivery doesn’t look interesting.
And even many fans of the game admit not liking the story. So I admit I’m erring on no.

What complicates matters is the “if you don’t like it then wait until ~20 hours in” element. I don’t particularly want to do that, so with everything I’ve said, would I likely like it? Does whatever happens at “20 hours in” really change things?

I know it has a “love it/hate it” reception but the “love it” crowd seems much more pervasive and louder for some time now, and frequently calls it a GOTG
I say play it, I think it's one of the best games ever made. Loved from start to finish

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Been mulling this one over and reading impressions and watching reviews is making it no clearer; would I like Death Stranding?

Admittedly only reason I’m interested is because it’s Kojima, and at first glance package delivery doesn’t look interesting.
And even many fans of the game admit not liking the story. So I admit I’m erring on no.

What complicates matters is the “if you don’t like it then wait until ~20 hours in” element. I don’t particularly want to do that, so with everything I’ve said, would I likely like it? Does whatever happens at “20 hours in” really change things?

I know it has a “love it/hate it” reception but the “love it” crowd seems much more pervasive and louder for some time now, and frequently calls it a GOTG
The key gameplay element which is wrapped up in the story is establishing a feeling of community via helping people. Helping NPCs and helping other players. Then those players appreciating your help.

The game is about deliveries, but the community aspect surfaces itself in play.

I'm not big on community based games, but this aspect of the game was so present and so strong that I felt a communal attachment to my fellow players which I couldn't even see.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I have bought 1 keyboard that i had problems with but they replaced it without question. So i would say it's been good 2 me.

edit: iirc i bought switches from there that i couldn't find anywhere else for an affordable price.
Say no more

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I hope that everyone one stayed safe and enjoyed their holiday weekend.

I went to Yosemite and the snow was pretty cool but there was also a storm and there was even a car that flipped over, had that car had more weight and flipped over one more time they would have likely drowned in the frozen river (so they were lucky) and for some reason people didn't put on their snow chains like they were supposed to (that's the reason that one other car flipped over).

By the way Le Pertti I took some photos of the place and it looked creepy because of the fog and the heavy snow and seeing dead burned trees in some areas.

I saw the Famitsu top 100 games that Japanese readers choose and out of the 100 only 4 of them were western games, over 80% of them were JRPGs (there were also some fight games and racing games as well). The racing games were mainly Mario Kart and Gran Turismo, I think Ridge Racer was on there as well. For fighting games it was mainly Super Smash and one SF entry for Street Fighter 2. It felt like out side of some OG DQ games a vast majority of the titles were JRPGs from the 90s and onward but you did see a lot of newer games on there that placed a lot higher on the list.

I'm guessing that if you had IGN do a top 100 from users that you would get a lot of more recent western games and some of the more well known JRPGs on there as well.

Minecraft was placed in 20th place (which is impressive seeing how the game in general sells well in Japan but at the same time if you had more younger people voting it likely would have been in the top 10 of all time.

Also the list I'm guessing is why some of the people that typically do play western games/indies (which are more niche) tended to play them on PC seeing how out of that list only has 4 non Japanese games. From what I remember at one point western games sometimes were not localized for Japan, stuff like GTA San Andreas did not release in Japan until 3 years after it did in the west and when it did, it was published by Capcom and not by Rockstar.

As for Sony first party titles, it seems the only one In recent years that has been highly regarded in Japan had been Ghost of Tsushima. But if you look back just 3 or so more yours you also get Bloodborne. So out of all the first party Sony titles only 2 of them managed to top the 100 list. So even though Sony had a rich history of first party titles and stuff that they have funded is this list maybe a showing that those titles were not nearly as popular as we may think that they are and the reason as to why Sony moved away from that and instead for first party stuff shifted their focus to more western titles? Or is the fact that Sony has moved past those titles and not really done much with them lead to people not really knowing what those titles are?

Resident Evil 4 is highly regarded and it didn't make the list, Silent Hill Is not on there. Castlevania Symphony of the Night is not on there.

Looking some more at the titles I'm noticing that some of the games that are well known in the west (so Japanese games that got released in the west and are critically acclaimed by Western gamers, are not on this list).

I know that game informer does a top 100 every so often, I'm sure that there is over lap but at the same time you know that there are games that will be on one list that won't be on the other.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
RIP Era.

I was not a huge fan of the site but I would go there for some information, just like I'm sure that others here did as well.

The reason that I mention this is because I use mobile to visit websites, they now have an add that takes over your bottom portion of your screen. It was one thing to have the small little ads on top (those annoyed me but having a big one at the bottom is just too much.

This is the main reason that I just stopped visiting Gematsu and getting my news from there because when you do the disqus thing it takes up half the screen with a video ad.

This is why I'm glad that MC doesn't get very annoying ads.

I guess that one person that sold Era made a lot of money and the ad thing is what that one company that purchased it is playing to use more of.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Bought Gothic 1-3 on a whim and could not get 1 to run well with either vanilla or with fan patches. Going to refund for now since it was just a random purchase. I only played a tiny bit of 2 and even less of 3 wayyyyy back in the day, but wanted to try 1. Maybe I will try again someday in the future or just wait for the remake.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
RIP Era.

I was not a huge fan of the site but I would go there for some information, just like I'm sure that others here did as well.

The reason that I mention this is because I use mobile to visit websites, they now have an add that takes over your bottom portion of your screen. It was one thing to have the small little ads on top (those annoyed me but having a big one at the bottom is just too much.

This is the main reason that I just stopped visiting Gematsu and getting my news from there because when you do the disqus thing it takes up half the screen with a video ad.

This is why I'm glad that MC doesn't get very annoying ads.

I guess that one person that sold Era made a lot of money and the ad thing is what that one company that purchased it is playing to use more of.
I thought resetera was gone for good, I was about to throw a party.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I thought resetera was gone for good, I was about to throw a party.
Nope but stuff like that may drive away some people that mainly visit the side on mobile like me. And it sucks because there is not really a lot that you can do on mobile and those ads just become so intrusive and make you not want to visit sites. I guess it's not too bad if it's just during a special thing (basically during a video game ad campaign for something, but the issue is that most of these ads are not for that but for other typical non video game related stuff), but if it's going to be like that all the time then I don't want to use the site.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Guess who managed to almost drilled through his palm last night XD Bad thing is that I now have small hole in my palm, good thing is that I managed to hit the spot with very little veins and nerves so I basically just damaged tissue (there was almost no blood and no pain at all). Oh well it happens when your other hobby is woodworking and you are not careful.

P.S. I still can play games without issues :D

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Nope but stuff like that may drive away some people that mainly visit the side on mobile like me. And it sucks because there is not really a lot that you can do on mobile and those ads just become so intrusive and make you not want to visit sites. I guess it's not too bad if it's just during a special thing (basically during a video game ad campaign for something, but the issue is that most of these ads are not for that but for other typical non video game related stuff), but if it's going to be like that all the time then I don't want to use the site.
Try Brave if you want ad-free browser on the mobile

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Happy Birthday to all the December babies by the way in case I haven't said that to some of you in the other thread that we have.

I'm only going to be 25 for one more hour and then I turn 26. In a way I am happy with some things and not so happy with other stuff. But at least I now have a car, a degree, a full time job with benefits and my family. But I'm sure that I will have to do something different if I ever plan to meet someone. Being single for 26 years can make you feel lonely sometimes.

By the way something I have thought to myself is that if I ever am able to retire years from now that I will try to beat some of the games in my backlog but I don't think that will ever happen. I have had 2 weeks vacation and I have not really played more than 2 hours of video games. If anything I spent more time binge watching Total Drama Island and building Christmas Lego stuff. By the way in case any one here does have Lego Christmas stuff, how do you usually store the item? Do you just take it all apart and put the pieces into zip lock bag and number them or do you just try to keep the item as complete as possible in storage?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Bought Gothic 1-3 on a whim and could not get 1 to run well with either vanilla or with fan patches. Going to refund for now since it was just a random purchase. I only played a tiny bit of 2 and even less of 3 wayyyyy back in the day, but wanted to try 1. Maybe I will try again someday in the future or just wait for the remake.
Strange, they recently patched both Gothic 1 and 2 to run better on modern Windows, and there' s still the SystemPack patches that should add lots of nice features.
What problem are you running into?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
AHA-Lambda It's tricky without sounding reductionist. The gameplay loop is very simple you hike around isolated wilderness with stacked crates on your back delivering reuired items to what are effectively quarantined communities and outposts. The terrain is uneven with streams, rivers ravines and mountains to navigate and there is an amount of physics applied to the boxes that make it more than just pointing a stick on a control pad.

There are hazards which are both natural like weather and slopes etc, supernatural and just other encampments of raiders dotted around. You gradually upgrade your kit and get tools to help you deal with things.

It is a Kojima game so expect LONG cutscenes at certain points in the game usually at major points or when introducing new aspects to the gameplay.

It has a haunting isolation to it which is difficult to describe and which transcends the seemingly simple gameplay. I'd watch some video previews and maybe spoiler free impressions as it's not easy to know if you'll love it or bounce right off it.
The key gameplay element which is wrapped up in the story is establishing a feeling of community via helping people. Helping NPCs and helping other players. Then those players appreciating your help.

The game is about deliveries, but the community aspect surfaces itself in play.

I'm not big on community based games, but this aspect of the game was so present and so strong that I felt a communal attachment to my fellow players which I couldn't even see.
Thanks folks, I think I’m erring on no still.
Too much vying for my free time and nothing I’ve seen yet has convinced me I’m afraid when there’s a lot of other games I want to play
Thanks though 👍

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Just started playing Dark Souls for the first time. Anything I should know? Guide, modding and such? :p

First thing I did after 10 minutes was to rebind the attack keys to X and Y buttons
Get Gud!!!!! :dmcblob:

But for real just enjoy it, great sense of discovery in Dark Souls, I'd stay away from guides for at least a while and just have a go at exploring.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I killed the first boss on my first try, am I good enough? :)
Nice! seem to recall it taking me ages to make progress when i first played it. Nearly gave up after about 8 hours of very limited progress but i persevered and its one of my favourite games, wish i could erase my memory of it to play it again.

I remember this trailer when it came out, summed it up nicely.....

• Eyes

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I need to run Idlemaster again. It's been a while. Last year managed to get around £50-80 selling cards.

Just finished Endwalker (Credits Rolling on second screen as I type this). Really great ending. Satisfying ending and probably my favourite FF outside of 6 (may be Rose Tinted Glasses, will find out next year). Yes that even covers A Realm Reborn. Will try and write something for the recently completed thread.

Now to see which direction they take the new story in the 6.1+ content.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Happy Birthday to all the December babies by the way in case I haven't said that to some of you in the other thread that we have.

I'm only going to be 25 for one more hour and then I turn 26. In a way I am happy with some things and not so happy with other stuff. But at least I now have a car, a degree, a full time job with benefits and my family. But I'm sure that I will have to do something different if I ever plan to meet someone. Being single for 26 years can make you feel lonely sometimes.

By the way something I have thought to myself is that if I ever am able to retire years from now that I will try to beat some of the games in my backlog but I don't think that will ever happen. I have had 2 weeks vacation and I have not really played more than 2 hours of video games. If anything I spent more time binge watching Total Drama Island and building Christmas Lego stuff. By the way in case any one here does have Lego Christmas stuff, how do you usually store the item? Do you just take it all apart and put the pieces into zip lock bag and number them or do you just try to keep the item as complete as possible in storage?
I didn't meet the right one until I was close to 40 although this is not a prediction of your future. You might meet someone next week. For me, only interesting diversions were had up until that point.
Its a weird thing to say, but folks certainly become more and more desirable to others as they get older, if they managed to avoid bringing much of the baggage of life with them. I mean, reasonably care-free or three failed marriages - your choice. Point is; relax, you are fine.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Yep, Brave on mobile

Rimworld is one of those games I think I want to play but I'm waiting for a discount. Judging on the dev's policy of no discounts ever I may be waiting some time.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Just started playing Dark Souls for the first time. Anything I should know? Guide, modding and such? :p

First thing I did after 10 minutes was to rebind the attack keys to X and Y buttons
Best is to explore the game without guides. Just be sure to spend enough souls in health first, or you're gonna have a hard time beating the first bosses.

I also liked the default attack buttons, since you need your thumb on the roll button all the time.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Just tried Gothic 1 myself for fun. It was really pain in the ass to get it work but I did following:
Followed this guide Steam Community :: Guide :: Gothic I in 2021 [With or Without March 2021 Patch] [EN/PL/Google Translate]
Section ""Classic" Gothic I 1.08j / "Klasyczny" Gothic I 1.08j" onwards

Some other notes:
Spine tool did not work - got access violation error
Had to downgrade the Steam version to "original version" as per the guide above - otherwise got access violation error
Disabled Steam overlay (not sure did it have effect in the end)
DX11 - Had to use DX11 fix v17.7-dev19-fix4 release - higher version just went to not responding status in Windows.
DX11 - On game startup it complains about checksum, but seems to work after clicking ok

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
PC users are just settling into using GP as a rental service. If they like what they play they will buy it on Steam right away or add to wishlist to buy later down the line when its cheaper.

It really is a win win for everyone. Especially devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.