Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ad-blocker in Firefox. Done.
Yeah, I've been using Firefox with uBlock Origin (and Adblock Plus before that) for so long on both my PCs and my phone (and my co-workers are the same obviously, and I also installed it for my PC-challenged relatives) that, at the rare times that I see the internet on a device without adblock I experience a bit of a culture shock.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Sure, but the fact that so many game pass games are on Steams 21 best seller list is amazing.
Definitely. There's a value to having a greater degree of ownership of a game and a feature rich service around it, and it seems like that's still relevant enough for many, thankfully.

Aaaaand I'm farming cards right now.
I'm in no rush and holding off on purchasing much more stuff on sale until closer to Jan 5th so I maximize the use of my card money. Already sitting on an extra 20% off for the next game I want to get :blobmorning2:

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I should farm cards.... but then I think about what it will do to my playtimes, including the almighty algorithm, and the weird side of my brain says "nope".

In other news.. the hdd that failed on me appear to now have settled on "just" 6520 bad sectors relocated. That's probably a very safe storage device to keep using :p

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Digoman It turns out i'm the same regarding cards. I was thinking of getting into this idling business and then realised it would completely mess up my game times and "Most Recently Played" settings that i'm not really tempted by idling any more.

Is there a way to see what my likely cards are worth without idling for them and messing up my library?

Reactions: C-Dub and Digoman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
What's everyone's strategy of selling cards?
I tend to look at lifetime pricing and pick around 10% highs from the last few months. The default shows last month, and from what I’ve seen there are general ups and downs to card pricing to consider, and prices tend to trend downward a little around major sales, presumably due to more people having wallet credits and sellers compete to meet the demand.

This won’t be the quickest but you’ll get more in the long run. There are other factors to consider like whether a game was (or is rumored to be) bundled, but common sense gets you 99% of the way, e.g. the newer the game, the less owners it has, the more valuable its cards are. Also, prioritize anime games. The more niche, the better. Those go for silly money sometimes. If you get a foil on top that, you’ve hit the jackpot.

Wok is/was our resident market expert, and they'd probably offer better tips, but this has been my strat. There's an argument for getting complete sets from specific games and betting on getting good drops from that to sell, but there's an inherent risk there unless you do some deeper market research, which I personally find a little too much work.

For reference, I have close to 1000 games and around 150 euros in card sales. I was a little late to the game though, so most of the cards I got had depreciated in value already due to bundles, time, etc. I also rarely buy games day one, so I almost never get in when the getting is good so to speak. Not a huge number, but it's an easy way to passively get games cheaper. Once you've sold off your old stock, it's very low maintenance to manage new card drops.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I had a craving for good old CRPG, so naturally, at 3am, I started the worst possible one, difficulty, complexity or length wise, Pathfinder Kingmaker !

So yeah, three hours later I found sleep with my first taste of it. Pretty great, CRPG as fuck, but you can see a mile ahead the difficulty spikes from hell that will force you to lower the difficulty or edit a save. They really went for a faithful adaptation of PF and first observation: it’s super dense on the tooltip front while still being not enough.

I want to continue playing right now, so it’s a good sign.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I am at the end of my knowledge :(

I am trying to get Imperialism 1 working

On my Windows 10 64 gaming PC: runs a few minutes until it CTD's
On my Win7 64 media PC: CTD when setting the city or right after that
Windows XP Virtual machine on my Win7: doesn't even start, after installing it under WinXP, it just gives an error on startup that the program couldn't be started.

tried any and all comp mode settings on the exe

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Kyougar I'd suggest having a look through the GOG forum thread. Some people have issues but some don't unfortunately.

For old games i'd make sure that DirectX is installed properly, check if the game needs DirectPlay enabled in Windows Features, you've tried Compatibility, maybe try the High-DPI settings? People say it crashes frequently even when running well so make sure you save often.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I am at the end of my knowledge :(

I am trying to get Imperialism 1 working

On my Windows 10 64 gaming PC: runs a few minutes until it CTD's
On my Win7 64 media PC: CTD when setting the city or right after that
Windows XP Virtual machine on my Win7: doesn't even start, after installing it under WinXP, it just gives an error on startup that the program couldn't be started.

tried any and all comp mode settings on the exe
Have you tried this?
Although the program was written for Windows 95, it can be run under other versions of Windows. During installation under Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista, the user will receive an error message that Imperialism is not written for "Windows NT" and the install will abort. The Windows Compatibility Wizard must be used to enable the installation program to run. The Windows Compatibility Wizard must then be used again to enable Imperialism itself to run. Imperialism is stable under Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10 but it requires a change of screen resolution to 640 x 480 for complete stability. In some instances, users with multiple hard drives will need to copy the contents of the CD to their D: hard drive to do the installation, because the install program can only install from Drive D:.The Imperialism CD must be in the computer's CD-ROM for Imperialism to run; however, there are mods that enable the user to run Imperialism from a hard drive alone. When trying to run the Imperialism setup on Windows 7 64-bit systems, an error message appears and the setup will be interrupted. However, extracting the "FIRST.Z" file located on the CD will result in a valid install directory with an exe file that will run on 64 bit system without any modifications.

The Imperialism CD has an extensive collection of sound effects, original music and animation. The sound effects include sounds of battle, the sound of a telegraph and noises associated with occupations such as mining, farming, logging, construction and ranching. The music is classical in nature, resembling 19th century chamber, orchestral and martial music.
Also here is some info in the comments:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Have you tried this?
I have the GOG version

• Eyes

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I have the GOG version
Gathered info from those pages to try out:
Don't install folder with spaces (Program Files etc.)
Windows Compatibility Mode - Windows 95
Smaller resolution for example 640x480
Direct Play feature install Windows 10
DirectX 9 install
VC++ libraries 32-bit (2013?)
Try with Virtual CD software
Exclude exe from Windows DEP

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I opened up IdleMaster Extended for the frist time in months. 104 games to idle, 401 cards to drop (and sell).

I had 800 cards to farm and had IdleMaster run turbo mode for 2 days to farm them all. Selling them was a nightmare but I made like $45 and was able to renew my FFXIV sub and buy some games during the sale so I'm not complaining lol

• Gib

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I could never idol cards as I’m too precious about my game-time stats.

Also, pro-tip for all you idlers out there: If you set your status under the Friends tab to Offline before you begin, you won’t spam them with notifications that constantly stack 5-high while they’re in-game.

Not that I noticed or anything.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
lol no, money for more games is more important. :p
pfft, Steam is about buying games and having the largest numbers on ones profile.

Also, pro-tip for all you idlers out there: If you set your status under the Friends tab to Offline before you begin, you won’t spam them with notifications that constantly stack 5-high while they’re in-game.

Heh, had a real world friend unfriend me because of that! I seriously assumed that everyone had turned of "person is playing" notifications. Thankfully the idler I'm using now automatically does it in an offline mode.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

Maybe that one friend who loses internet connection every two minutes and keeps spamming his friend's list that he is playing Spellforce 3 deserves revenge.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Hey look it’s my #2 GOTY
Hey look it’s my #1 GOTY
Quick, someone play Northern Journey and we’ll have the podium wins sorted out. :p
Well, i did buy Shadow Empire last week and Northern Journey the other day so....
I also picked up StarSector even though i'm sure i already bought it years ago. I've also downloaded Aurora 4x c# and i picked up Delta-V and some other space type games cheap on GOG and then ended up getting a couple of them again in this bundle.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

I always turn off all community notifications on Steam. I don't care when my Steam friends get online and what they play 😅

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
So I'm looking at keycaps all of sudden on that mechanical keyboard site that was posted earlier. But actually researching, turns out that apparently my cherry keyboard keycaps shouldn't be removed. :thinking-blob:
It's Cherry Stream, I guess it's not a real big boy mechanical keyboard. :crying-face:

• Eyes

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I like the “Your Friend is playing…” pop up notifications.

I think it’s because I’m totally allergic to online multiplayer anything. Just not my thing.

So Friend status notifications is the closest I get to community connectivity while in game.

I also find it super interesting to see what people are up to with their game rotation and it’s led to some great discoveries.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Do you do this manually or can this be selected somehow?
Manually. I wish there was an automated way…

Using Augmented Steam's auto-listing can still be useful for cards whose value has completely bottomed out to get through them quickly, but for others I do it by hand. Take care not to choose sell immediately for X, which pretty much always lowballs you since it's based on buy orders.

I'd put on a podcast, have a nice cup of tea and just hunker down. Takes maybe an hour tops if you have several hundred, but that hour will then also get you a fair chunk of change.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
So I'm looking at keycaps all of sudden on that mechanical keyboard site that was posted earlier. But actually researching, turns out that apparently my cherry keyboard keycaps shouldn't be removed. :thinking-blob:
It's Cherry Stream, I guess it's not a real big boy mechanical keyboard. :crying-face:
It's mechanical but it uses the "Scissor" type switch mechanism which is understandable as it's a low-profile or tablet-key board. It's more of a "business" or office type keyboard by the looks of it and those keys look like they'd be a total dog to try to remove without breaking the mechanism.
Normal Cherry and Cherry Compatible switches are taller and have a plus-sign stem which makes it easier to pry the caps off and replace them.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Inscryption binged and beat. What a fun ride.

In terms of adblock on mobile, I have two things going on with my phone;

• Vivaldi with multiple levels of adblock, including a "script blocker" that usually hides ads without websites being privy.
  • Rooting my phone so I have host-file adblock across literally every app. Sadly doesn't work on Twitter.

Though now I'm realizing I could have adblock on mobile Twitter, through Firefox with uBlock Origin... And then use the PWA install thing so I don't have to actually use Firefox as my main browser!

• Eyes

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Some interesting games that released this year and you all may have missed out based on the games that I've purchased through this year. I'll write some short opinions on each one of them.

Kind of a cinematic platformer where you take control of a shipwrecked that wakes up in a strange country. It's clearly inspired by Out of This World/Another World, so if you liked that game it may be worth checking.

A relaxing city building game, the main focus is getting a higher score and unlocking new tile sets to use. It's chill and cheap, so worth of checking out.

Previously in early access, the game was completed this year. Just a glance in any of the trailers and screenshots and you can see that Team Ladybug was heavily inspired by Castlevania SotN, though I don't think Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is a metroidvania. You get new abilities through the game, though it's very linear but there are some minor areas you may want to revisit to find secrets.

Still worth checking it.

I decided to put both Toree games here as they are pretty similar. Short and cheap games focused on finishing the levels with the best time to get the highest grade.

It's similar to Mini Metro, it's very polished and there are daily and weekly challenges.

Do you want to manage your own idol agency, laugh because of stupid situations and feel the dread as your company is diving into bankruptcy? Look no more as Idol Manager is the perfect game for it! Jokes aside, the game is good though it could be nice to have an option to also manage a group of male idols.

Status
Not open for further replies.