Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

And I just got banned from ERA, didn't even receive a message or any sort of satisfaction just a ban after I spoke about how bullshit the moderation for PC threads is. There was even a mod in said thread tip-toeing the OP's statement on how PC is finally getting rid of Valve's shackles.
Sadly, it's nothing new.

In the 20 something years I use the internet, I received a single warning on a forum. It was on ERA, because, in response to someone who was complaining about a totally idiotic topic (and it was really ridiculous), which wasn't showing up for me on the front page because I had the OP blocked, I said, jokingly, something like "I'm not seeing this topic, because I have the OP blocked. Reading what he posted, it's no surprise I previously blocked him.".
That got me a warning for something like "community dumping".
That's when I knew those forums were no longer for me.

It's supposed to be a place for everyone, but unfortunately, it's not really the case.
You can fill the front page with threads about "how many copies X game sold on Switch", but you can't post most PC news outside of the community thread.
You can fill most topics with "I would buy this on Switch", "This game would be perfect for the Switch", and so on, but if you go on a currently console-exclusive title, and say something like "I hope this title may be released on PC in the future", you will get a warning for "port begging".

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it in here, Merkunt , and won't miss them too much. ;)

Deleted member 113

If anyone bought Ace Combat 7 from Voidu, or other stores outside of Steam, check if you have the launch period DLC (ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN - F-4E Phantom II + 3 Skins).
Many people, like me, didn't get it, because apparently Bandai Namco supplied some stores with the wrong keys.
I've seen people who purchased from Voidu, Fanatical, and Razer, missing this DLC.

I contacted Voidu, and after checking with Bandai Namco, they have received new keys, and added one to my account, and the new key has the missing content.

Check your licenses page. If it says "Launch Edition", you should be good.

My first key activated as ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Deluxe Edition.
The new key activated as ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Deluxe Launch Edition.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
And I just got banned from ERA, didn't even receive a message or any sort of satisfaction just a ban after I spoke about how bullshit the moderation for PC threads is. There was even a mod in said thread tip-toeing the OP's statement on how PC is finally getting rid of Valve's shackles.
I just read that thread, and the funniest part is that the OP literally admitted:

As you can look at my history here I'm more of a Nintendo Fanboy so I'm not used to read PC dedicated threads.
If you're a Nintendo fanboy and not someone who reads PC news, why are you making statements about what's good for PC gaming?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
If anyone bought Ace Combat 7 from Voidu, or other stores outside of Steam, check if you have the launch period DLC (ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN - F-4E Phantom II + 3 Skins).
Many people, like me, didn't get it, because apparently Bandai Namco supplied some stores with the wrong keys.
I've seen people who purchased from Voidu, Fanatical, and Razer, missing this DLC.

I contacted Voidu, and after checking with Bandai Namco, they have received new keys, and added one to my account, and the new key has the missing content.

Check your licenses page. If it says "Launch Edition", you should be good.

My first key activated as ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Deluxe Edition.
The new key activated as ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Deluxe Launch Edition.
Thanks for the heads up
I still need to get home to test it out :/

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That thread was bait. I typed a response stating that half of the stuff in the OP didn't concern me (I gain nothing from a console selling well, I'm not a shareholder unfortunately), but decided to delete it all before posting it. It's just not worth it.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
gonna suggest avoiding helheim for now, seems to possibly have some shady data tacking and no option to turn off

{"prefs":{},"analytics":{"enabled":true},"connect":{"limit_user_tracking":false,"player_opted_out":false,"enabled":true},"performance":{"enabled":true}}

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
gonna suggest avoiding helheim for now, seems to possibly have some shady data tacking and no option to turn off

{"prefs":{},"analytics":{"enabled":true},"connect":{"limit_user_tracking":false,"player_opted_out":false,"enabled":true},"performance":{"enabled":true}}
That's just some Unity stuff. It's in most of the Unity games i have like Portia etc. I couldn't tell you if it's actually activated or not but i have seen those strings in a few Unity game data files when troubleshooting crashes.

Also, I can confirm that IndieGala Ace Combat 7 keys are registering as launch edition and you get the F-4E Phantom II & 3 skins DLC.
1 Feb, 2019 - ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Launch Edition - Retail

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
That's just some Unity stuff. It's in most of the Unity games i have like Portia etc. I couldn't tell you if it's actually activated or not but i have seen those strings in a few Unity game data files when troubleshooting crashes.

Also, I can confirm that IndieGala Ace Combat 7 keys are registering as launch edition and you get the F-4E Phantom II & 3 skins DLC.
1 Feb, 2019 - ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Launch Edition - Retail
i did some diggin myself, 7days to day has the same folder and config file but the config is empty, so im guessing the dev had to either put there themself, or delete it.

it certainly is used though, i removed the info and it re added it upon loading game, same with changing things to true or false, and it did this with read only ticked aswell

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I know GI.Biz is industry/dev side so it's going to heavily skew that way with its articles, but this is still rather funny:

The most recent twist came
when the latest instalment in the Metro franchise, Metro Exodus, was signed up for a timed exclusive on Epic's store. Although pre-orders that were made on Steam prior to the exclusivity deal being announced will still be honoured (you just won't be able to buy the game there if you hadn't pre-ordered already), this seems to have ruffled a lot of feathers -- some no doubt thanks to choice PR work on Valve's part, but some simply out of a genuine sense that this kind of exclusivity deal is anti-consumer.
In a lot of circumstances, I would agree. Exclusivity deals aren't something we've really seen very often on PC. The debate around them tends to be more focused on console games, where platform holders have often paid third-party publishers to keep their games exclusive to one console or another. In recent years this practice has declined somewhat, with exclusivity (timed or otherwise) for DLC or specific pieces of in-game content being more common than outright exclusivity for the games themselves.
Importing that logic to the competition between Valve and Epic doesn't really work, however, because both of those stores run on exactly the same hardware; there is no actual cost to consumers for installing Epic's store, which will run perfectly happily on a PC alongside Steam. In fact, the only reason that Steam's stranglehold on PC game distribution isn't outright monopolistic is the fact that anyone really can come along and create a competing platform -- a point which Steam's cheerleaders have made frequently and forcefully over the years, usually at moments when the company's treatment of game creators was facing a somewhat unflattering spotlight. "If people don't like Steam, they can make their own store!" is a facile argument, but it's also entirely true.
I'd expect better than "Lul, it's just a launcher icon you have to click" from someone writing about PC gaming, but my expectations are probably beyond their ability to reach at this point.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Thing is, you were absolutely 110% correct of course

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I know GI.Biz is industry/dev side so it's going to heavily skew that way with its articles, but this is still rather funny:

I'd expect better than "Lul, it's just a launcher icon you have to click" from someone writing about PC gaming, but my expectations are probably beyond their ability to reach at this point.
All of this stuff reads like PR. It's amazing that publications that are supposedly impartial are publishing this every day now, and no one seems to care.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
So the full reveal for this month kindaaaaa weak to me but I have repeatedly had EDF and Cultist Sim in my cart on Steam and not bought them so woo!

Edit: At least Humble is almost out of Sniper Elite versions to dole out. I liked SE4 when I bought it two years ago to play co-op but come on :p

Merkunt

Dec 9, 2018
Sadly, it's nothing new.

In the 20 something years I use the internet, I received a single warning on a forum. It was on ERA, because, in response to someone who was complaining about a totally idiotic topic (and it was really ridiculous), which wasn't showing up for me on the front page because I had the OP blocked, I said, jokingly, something like "I'm not seeing this topic, because I have the OP blocked. Reading what he posted, it's no surprise I previously blocked him.".
That got me a warning for something like "community dumping".
That's when I knew those forums were no longer for me.

It's supposed to be a place for everyone, but unfortunately, it's not really the case.
You can fill the front page with threads about "how many copies X game sold on Switch", but you can't post most PC news outside of the community thread.
You can fill most topics with "I would buy this on Switch", "This game would be perfect for the Switch", and so on, but if you go on a currently console-exclusive title, and say something like "I hope this title may be released on PC in the future", you will get a warning for "port begging".

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it in here, Merkunt , and won't miss them too much. ;)
I hear you, this has been the only time I've ever been banned from a discussion forum, hell, I even survived the Ocotber 2017 Gaf purge :ROFLMAO:

It's certainly very lopsided towards console discussion and the favoritism aspect that it entails, which is why I feel having a strong Computer presence to balance it is very important for the forums health, but for some reason most mods fail to recognize this. It's legitimately infuriating seeing every PC related thread filled with posters arguing in bad faith or devoid of any knowledge on the matter staining other more ingenuous users point of view on the platform, and the recent Epic Store announcement has only exacerbated this aspect of ERA discussion.

Also; super grateful on the warm welcome, I registered a while ago, but until now I had been using Era as my main hub for discussion, although to be honest it was only a matter of time for me to finally make the change to Meta.

I just read that thread, and the funniest part is that the OP literally admitted:

If you're a Nintendo fanboy and not someone who reads PC news, why are you making statements about what's good for PC gaming?
Seriously, it's exactly what I exposed above. Problem is, most of the posts with said content come from people with no contact with the platform at its current state.

That thread was bait. I typed a response stating that half of the stuff in the OP didn't concern me (I gain nothing from a console selling well, I'm not a shareholder unfortunately), but decided to delete it all before posting it. It's just not worth it.
In hindsight, I wish I had had a stronger grip on my impulses and had not let console rhetoric get to me the way it did.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
refunded helheim and in the refund note i mentione details of the tracking stuff, got my refund but wiht this message

Hello Queen Of Hunting Your purchase has been refunded by Steam. We’ve issued the refund to your Steam wallet. The funds will be shown now as pending and will become available to spend within 7 days. We are also going to check the issue you mentioned and see what is going on.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
In hindsight, I wish I had had a stronger grip on my impulses and had not let console rhetoric get to me the way it did.
Believe me when I say a lot of people understand this conflict. You want to say something more forceful, but is afraid that will get you a ban/warning.

I lost count on how many replies I have started to type (and lost some time because of my bad English) and ended up deleting before posting. In fact I just did that two times right now when the main PC Era thread got a little heated.

Reactions: lashman

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
refunded helheim and in the refund note i mentione details of the tracking stuff, got my refund but wiht this message

Hello Queen Of Hunting Your purchase has been refunded by Steam. We’ve issued the refund to your Steam wallet. The funds will be shown now as pending and will become available to spend within 7 days. We are also going to check the issue you mentioned and see what is going on.
oh shit O_O

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
All of this stuff reads like PR. It's amazing that publications that are supposedly impartial are publishing this every day now, and no one seems to care.
GI.Biz is hardly even interested in appearing to be impartial. It's just corporate driven bull for the most part. At least other industry-side sites like Gamasutra have published some contrastive discussions of the storefronts like Galindo's and Doucet's articles about how to properly compete with Steam.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Yeah Wargoove was pretty cheap, especially with that 15% voucher. I'm happy.

Doesn't surprise me.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I hear you, this has been the only time I've ever been banned from a discussion forum, hell, I even survived the Ocotber 2017 Gaf purge :ROFLMAO:

It's certainly very lopsided towards console discussion and the favoritism aspect that it entails, which is why I feel having a strong Computer presence to balance it is very important for the forums health, but for some reason most mods fail to recognize this. It's legitimately infuriating seeing every PC related thread filled with posters arguing in bad faith or devoid of any knowledge on the matter staining other more ingenuous users point of view on the platform, and the recent Epic Store announcement has only exacerbated this aspect of ERA discussion.

Also; super grateful on the warm welcome, I registered a while ago, but until now I had been using Era as my main hub for discussion, although to be honest it was only a matter of time for me to finally make the change to Meta.

Seriously, it's exactly what I exposed above. Problem is, most of the posts with said content come from people with no contact with the platform at its current state.

Welcome to MC. Don't feel too bad. I think the frustration you expressed is basically what everyone else is bottling up but is without the courage to express.

Wish I could sticky your Era post to Ceriums forehead. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.