Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Can anyone help me identify a game?
Recently (I believe in January), there was a game on Steam that was very similar in look and gameplay to the classic Dizzy series.
Does anyone have any idea about its name?

I put it in my wishlist, but I have 5000+ games in there, and now I can't find it. :p

EDIT: Finally found it!

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Also, on the topic of Ace Combat, in the tradition of "gaming writers who dump on Steam users" here's a gem:

Steam customers are complaining about some of Ace Combat 7’s shortcomings on PC, namely a lack of full mouse support and lacking HOTAS (hands-on throttle and stick) controls. I have my own qualms about flight stick support, but many of the game’s negative reviews overlook an important detail: Ace Combat 7 is an arcade game. Full stop.
Critics of Ace Combat 7’s PC port are missing the point

Please kiddo. We're talking about a port from a company that literally partnered with Thrustmaster to produce custom branded HOTAS setups for AC7 (and sold them in bundles with the game), so of course people were expecting better HOTAS support.

And writing about complaints over poor mouse support in that sentence and connecting it to "Ace Combat 7 is an arcade game" has to be the stupidest piece of gaming writing I've read at least this week.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Just because it's an arcade game "full stop", I don't think we should excuse a sub-par support for mouse control. I mean, mouse control has been part of PC since time immemorial. If you release a game on PC, then I should expect the bare minimum of control devices to be fully supported, namely Mouse and Keyboard.

I swear most gaming "journalists" these days shouldn't be allowed to write about PC ports since they have absolutely no fucking clue.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Just because it's an arcade game "full stop", I don't think we should excuse a sub-par support for mouse control. I mean, mouse control has been part of PC since time immemorial. If you release a game on PC, then I should expect the bare minimum of control devices to be fully supported, namely Mouse and Keyboard.

I swear most gaming "journalists" these days shouldn't be allowed to write about PC ports since they have absolutely no fucking clue.
It's just such a ridiculous way to connect the three things (mouse support, HOTAS, arcade game). Even forgetting the mouse support thing for a second, because that is such an idiotic way to try to frame the reviews as "problematic":

I could kind of see you mistakenly making the argument that it's the series' first time on PC, so expecting complete HOTAS support beyond the branded AC7 Thrustmaster ones might be a mistake. It's still a really bad argument, because Bamco should have given a list of supported HOTAS well before launch if they didn't want this kind of backlash, but you could at least feasibly make the argument without sounding like a complete lunatic. Even so, Bamco literally told the press and such that they were going to support a variety of flight sticks (and mouse control!), so that renders that argument moot anyways.

In our gameplay footage, settings are on max, with options for Anti-Aliasing, Bloom, Effects, Motion Blur, Post-Processing, Screen Space Reflections, and Shadows all cranked up. Additionally, there's a built-in option for Resolution Scaling, enabling you to play at 4K quality on a 1920x1080 monitor; the option to uncap the framerate; and plenty of settings for Flight Systems, controllers, flight sticks, keyboard and mouse control, and key remapping. In other words, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown has everything you need to tailor the experience to your liking.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America – More fun for everyone!

In fact, from what I understand about the HOTAS issue (and maybe this has changed since), the issue was that Bamco wasn't just not supporting HOTAS controllers. Like anything, it's a generic input coded into the game, so the various HOTAS types should work. Maybe not perfectly or whatever depending on their unique features, but they should function fine. The issue is that they went out of their way to actually specifically wall off the non-branded peripherals and ask their devs/Thrustmaster for a "closed game."

All of this you know would have taken the author like ten minutes of research to figure out, instead of rattling off some asinine hot-take article, but we can't have authors that do research or know anything about the platform they're writing about right?

I agree anyhow. All the major publications really bring to the table for PC gaming issues is hot takes, corporate bootlicking, and inaccurate information. I'd rather they just go away and stick to what they know (consoles).

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

It's 40€ if you own God Eater 1 & 2, which makes it 35€ with Valve's 5€ lunar sale discount. Nice.
Not going to get it right now, since I've already preordered Yakuza and am still playing through my Autumn and Winter sale purchases, among others, but I might get it sometime later this year.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
For some reason, Goat Simulator released on the Windows Store this week. Another candidate for Game Pass on PC?

I was rather surprised that 1/3rd of the Sea of Thieves players are on PC by the way. Seems plenty of people are willing to support the Windows Store, despite it's locked down nature and technical issues.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Steam sent me a free 50 cent payment today, they stuffed up the bonus discount in Aussie Dollars, paid out $7.50 when it should have been $8. So many choices of what to spend it on!

Also has something changed with the steam embeds recently? All of a sudden they are in Aussie Dollars for me, up until now I was getting them in US Dollars.

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018

It's 40€ if you own God Eater 1 & 2, which makes it 35€ with Valve's 5€ lunar sale discount. Nice.
Not going to get it right now, since I've already preordered Yakuza and am still playing through my Autumn and Winter sale purchases, among others, but I might get it sometime later this year.
If only it weren't $70 here :steam_pigblanket:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
it's kinda funny seeing Bethesda win one of the awards ... since we won't be getting any more games from them on steam, lol :p

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Those awards are reallllyyy random to me. GTAV has had less added content than all the competitors, there's some kind of huge CDPR boner on Steam users for some reason, and even people that still like PUBG don't seem to defend it as that good :p

Reactions: lashman

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
there's some kind of huge CDPR boner on Steam users for some reason
I voted for both Witcher 3 and CDPR. I _really_ liked Witcher 1 to 3 and the story of CDPR (and gog) makes them likeable to a big group of people I guess.

Then what was the alternative in both categories? Of all the others maybe DE but I don't really play Warframe (and was disappointed with Bioshock 2 when it came out) or maybe Paradox?
But yeah for me there was no alternative to CDPR.

Same with the best environment catergory. I played a bit of Subnautica when it released in EA and thought it was tedious. Not played Shadow of Tomb Raider but did play a few hours of the first in the trilogy and damn was I disappointed in that Uncharted; never touched it again. I guess it looked nice, so maybe? Never played FC5. Dark Souls 3 was a disappointment for me personally after DS1 and DS2 (I am one of the weirdos who prefer 2 to 1!).

Reactions: lashman and Wok

SpectrumWarrior

Mods'R'us
Nov 1, 2018
People don't read the awards' definitions:
All those chatty cutscenes, all those reminders that they need a health pack again. Let's face it, characters are overrated. As this winner illustrates, sometimes breathtaking scenery tells a better story than a thousand big-mouthed heroes.
Yep, that's The Witcher 3's best summary.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I voted for both Witcher 3 and CDPR. I _really_ liked Witcher 1 to 3 and the story of CDPR (and gog) makes them likeable to a big group of people I guess.

Then what was the alternative in both categories? Of all the others maybe DE but I don't really play Warframe (and was disappointed with Bioshock 2 when it came out) or maybe Paradox?
But yeah for me there was no alternative to CDPR.

Same with the best environment catergory. I played a bit of Subnautica when it released in EA and thought it was tedious. Not played Shadow of Tomb Raider but did play a few hours of the first in the trilogy and damn was I disappointed in that Uncharted; never touched it again. I guess it looked nice, so maybe? Never played FC5. Dark Souls 3 was a disappointment for me personally after DS1 and DS2 (I am one of the weirdos who prefer 2 to 1!).
See I definitely am not interpreting those categories the same way. Regardless of the game itself, the environmental design of Subnautica was outstanding and very new and unique, whereas Witcher 3 (for the most part) never really stood out anywhere to me, just normal fantasy landscape as far as the eye can see. Despite my disappointment with the game, I would rate Shadow of the Tomb Raider higher as well for environment (the game itself was sub par for sure).

Similarly, while CDPR is an alright company (they do have some drama as well, just not overt evil like some), as a developer they've released 2 games over the past 4 years and one of those (Thronebreaker) was a bit of a dud, whereas Paradox / Ubisoft / Square and some others put out a ton of amazing games just past couple years. They've had some misses as well, but I would rank nearly every one of them above CDPR unless Witcher was my GOAT, which it isn't.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
See I definitely am not interpreting those categories the same way. Regardless of the game itself, the environmental design of Subnautica was outstanding and very new and unique, whereas Witcher 3 (for the most part) never really stood out anywhere to me, just normal fantasy landscape as far as the eye can see. Despite my disappointment with the game, I would rate Shadow of the Tomb Raider higher as well for environment (the game itself was sub par for sure).

Similarly, while CDPR is an alright company (they do have some drama as well, just not overt evil like some), as a developer they've released 2 games over the past 4 years and one of those (Thronebreaker) was a bit of a dud, whereas Paradox / Ubisoft / Square and some others put out a ton of amazing games just past couple years. They've had some misses as well, but I would rank nearly every one of them above CDPR unless Witcher was my GOAT, which it isn't.
Whether people like it or not, a lot of people love TW3 and Gwent and think they're among the GOAT RPGs and minigames. There's also a lot of name recognition that probably leads to lazy votes like my own. I distinctly remember wanting to vote for some indie dev, couldn't find them, felt lazy and wanted to complete the awards so I got my cards or whatever, and just typed in CDPR.

Honestly, yes, the whole awards thing is dumb as hell since it doesn't differentiate between games released a long time ago (e.g. TW3 getting Best Environment, which is stupid), and games released a long time ago that are GaaS (PUBG, R6S, Rocket League, etc getting awards, which in a GaaS market is distinctly less stupid).

But that said, the funny thing about people complaining is:
  1. Game awards are dumb as hell once more than 2-3 people are voting on them anyways, and anyone pretending they have prestige has their head entrenched in their keister. All you have to do is go watch GB's or EZA's deliberations for an hour to know that. None of these lists have any meaning whatsoever when the majority of "voters" (either in fan votes or "publication" lists) DO NOT play a significant number of the games released in a year, and most people have fairly invalidated opinions. Yes, the Steam Awards may be a magnitude of levels dumber but they're all still fundamentally dumb and worthless.
  2. No one has any interest in why the results might be the way they are and just want to mock them for their spicy Twitter takes. E.g., Is PUBG at the top somehow correlated to China's interest in the game? That would be interesting to research and maybe reach out to Valve to ask about participation in the voting by country, since I would assume that's a big factor. But you know it's funnier to go around being a dipshit:

Status
Not open for further replies.