Community MetaSteam | February 2021 - We Don't Do Regional Pricing in This House

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Is someone playing P5S with a controller? Prompts seem to switch back and forth between keyboard and Xbox ones. I thought it was my controller but it doesnt seem to be the case?

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'd be more interested in any info about the scope and content of the game.
Of that there is no doubt. Just saying it had some value to me ^^.

Though terrain without information about scope isn't all that amazing. Terrain looking like this is nice in a regular game, and breath-taking in a PCG planet-scale game for example.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Read this as:
"Is someone playing PS5..."

The confusion doubled as fantomena said he was using an Xbox controller...
I've gotten to calling it P5 Strikers just so I don't think I'm talking about PS5 when I re-read any of my posts in the future and think, "Why were you lying on an enthusiast forum about having a PS5 in February 2021?"

The thing is, now when I read PS5 my mind jumps to Persona 5 Strikers, so there's no winning really. :ROFLMAO:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Got myself a Playstation housecoat and bath robe (yes, they make these).

I'm now fully ready to accept Playstation into my heart.
I was pretty convinced you were way too into Sony games before this post but now it's a whole new level.

Also, pictures particularly of the housecoat?

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I was pretty convinced you were way too into Sony games before this post but now it's a whole new level.

Also, pictures particularly of the housecoat?
I thought it was obvious but I was not serious. ;)
My last PS console was the PS3 and I was never what you could call a Sony "fanboy" at any stage of my gaming life.

I do have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for their first party games.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I thought it was obvious but I was not serious. ;)
My last PS console was the PS3 and I was never what you could call a Sony "fanboy" at any stage of my gaming life.

I do have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for their first party games.
Yeah I should've known that you weren't about to trade out your Bloodborne smoking jacket.

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I actually have always wanted a space game like that. Rarely does a game make space seem challenging and vast because you always have magic technology and fast travel. I'd like a clunky ramshackle spaceship more like the ISS than the Enterprise. A vast universe that is pointlessly huge and desolate, not populated by plants and animals on every world, and each planet has earth-like gravity and atmosphere, etc. It would be novel and interesting if a game wasn't about blue humanoid english speaking aliens for once, but was more inspired by the Rare Earth hypothesis than Star Trek. I know there is no chance in hell that Starfield will be like that. But it reminds me that I still like the idea of space space.
It would be novel, and interesting, insofar as it's novel, but ... how does the idea of space space translate into a game?

I mean, from the point of view of a human, by and large...
Douglas Adams -- with some topical adjustments --- said:
Space is boring. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly boring it is.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
just give me power armor and some alien to shoot at and I'll be fine in any space game.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It would be novel, and interesting, insofar as it's novel, but ... how does the idea of space space translate into a game?

You may be interested in traversal mechanics, KSP is an entire simulation built on those. Other than that, space landscaping and vehicles that provide infinitely more fun avenues for traveling than holding W.

Seriously, it's the same design problem as any other game, only it's orders of magnitude larger, but the idea is the same.

Reactions: lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

I guess a slow paced mystery game but you have to pilot and defend your space bus. Solve space problems on your ship and communication difficulties to a planet that is constantly further away. Combat isn't space phasers, but an ever expanding field of ball bearings fired at you from 25,000,000 km away by a human enemy. A rough space setting where it's not cool, it's ramshackle and improbable that any of it even works. Not Star Trek but a WW2 submarine. No sentient robots. It would be an interesting way to depict space. The fast travel and solved technology of most (I guess?) scifi tames space down from being frighteningly vast to something we just drive across.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
You may be interested in traversal mechanics, KSP is an entire simulation built on those. Other than that, space landscaping and vehicles that provide infinitely more fun avenues for traveling than holding W.

Seriously, it's the same design problem as any other game, only it's orders of magnitude larger, but the idea is the same.
Maybe I'm focusing too narrowly on the idea of realistic space as an immersive RPG setting, in the same way that Morrowind or Skyrim are for the eponymous games (to stay in the original context of Bethesda RPGs).

I guess a slow paced mystery game but you have to pilot and defend your space bus. Solve space problems on your ship .... The fast travel and solved technology of most (I guess?) scifi tames space down from being frighteningly vast to something we just drive across.
If space is that frighteningly vast, and the technology that ramshackle, what kind of "bus services" do you have across it? Who would buy that ticket? To go where? To do what? What would the insurance premiums be?

Asteroid mining perhaps? Something like the Nostromo in Alien: a slow, humongous mobile station, on decades-long missions, the intervals between playable events -- technical problems, geologigal surveys of astreroids, etc -- skipped over via cryosleep?

Okay, I could see something like that, actually...

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Maybe I'm focusing too narrowly on the idea of realistic space as an immersive RPG setting, in the same way that Morrowind or Skyrim are for the eponymous games (to stay in the original context of Bethesda RPGs).
I think so. I mean, there's no question that what I've experienced of space in modern space sims had me reeling at how enormous, mind-bogglingly big and immense space is. Even 100 000km is freighteningly huge, and that's like a tiny leap by those game's standard. The way space is populated, how they make it interesting required new answers but I think they aren't all that different from traditional RPGs. Interdiction zones, gravity wells and nebulas have replaced mountains, rivers and cliffs, but the paradigm doesn't seem too alien.

There's also something to be said for the awe of such spaces, of such scales. Many people mention how empty a lot of those landscapes are and they'd be right. Still, what a backdrop! What a world and setting to surrounding your story with, not to mention that it's real in ways that make skyboxes look medieval.

Edit : Just because I can take the opportunity to use one of the last posts of the thread for February, here's an old video of SC that might illustrate the feeling I mean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.