Community MetaSteam | February 2021 - We Don't Do Regional Pricing in This House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Honestly it’ll release at 10am est which would be March 26th in some areas so you’re not entirely off

It takes place after 6. Thats just the order they’re playing in
Good to know !

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reading all the Stadia stuff from Schreier and others makes me not suprised how much Google bungled on Stadia.

However, Im gonna go ahead and "defend" Stadia by saying that their streaming technlogy is pretty good, not perfect in any way (Grid was blurry, felt latency and a bit blurr on Orcs Must Die 3), but they have the best streaming technology compared to Playstation Now at least.

However, the lack of games, the pricing model and in general lack of trust made Stadia terrible.

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I don't really understand why Sony moneyhatted FFXVI in the west. In Japan it's exclusive on console there (Xbox doesn't exist there and Switch can't run it).

In the west, it will barely sell on Xbox regardless and PC people will just wait (like me and Im even getting a PS5 when I can, but wont buy it on PS5).
FFXVI being exclusive is basically for PR at this point, just to show off they have some household name exclusives. It also helps pad out their empty first year with promises of exclusives down the line.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reading all the Stadia stuff from Schreier and others makes me not suprised how much Google bungled on Stadia.

However, Im gonna go ahead and "defend" Stadia by saying that their streaming technlogy is pretty good, not perfect in any way (Grid was blurry, felt latency and a bit blurr on Orcs Must Die 3), but they have the best streaming technology compared to Playstation Now at least.

However, the lack of games, the pricing model and in general lack of trust made Stadia terrible.
The tech is really good which is why I think they will sell it to someone who has a platform, dev teams, ip etc.

Otherwise its a wrap for them because they really poisoned the well with all this recent news leaks and closures. No sane gamer will actually invest time/money into their platform and no pub/dev will bother anymore since there is no moneyhat. The tech is too valuable to just put aside. They'll sell it for billions.

Reactions: LEANIJA

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I've been playing through the Yakuza games (order: Y0, Y:LAD, Kiwami 1*, Kiwami 2).

*Kiwami 1 sucked. I rushed through the main storyline because most sub stories were atrociously bad (mostly variations of the following: scams, pickpockets and meeting generally unpleasant fellas of the "watchu lookin' at fool? imma piledrive you into the ground!!!" variety).

Anyway... is it me or Kiwami 2's map looks better than LAD's? Barring the obnoxiousness of the lens flares (JJ Abrams would be proud), the textures are more detailed and the lighting is way more dynamic (like when you pick up a light-emitting object and you swing it around).
I've been replaying Kiwami 2 and I noticed this as well. The City looks nicer here than in Y7/Y LAD. It's kinda weird. Kiwami 2 older right?

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The tech is really good which is why I think they will sell it to someone who has a platform, dev teams, ip etc.

Otherwise its a wrap for them because they really poisoned the well with all this recent news leaks and closures. No sane gamer will actually invest time/money into their platform and no pub/dev will bother anymore since there is no moneyhat. The tech is too valuable to just put aside. They'll sell it for billions.
I don't think there was any value in selling people full price games on what is only a streaming service that can vanish into thin air under circumstances out of my own control. I will never have an interest in buying a game and being unable to either download it or having a physical item.
Renting a game or having a subscription on a streaming service is cool however.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im wondering if Kojima and MS is working together with all these rumors popping up instead of Epic which I thought before.

• Phil having Kojipro figurine in the background in the recent stream he did
  • Kojima wanting to work on a game for the cloud (hence him being interested in doing a project for Stadia) and MS got xCloud
  • The game rumored to be episodic horror (fits game pass model)
  • Kojima liking Valve a lot and he is friend with Gabe (Epic deal would mean no Steam version while MS puts their games on Steam)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Looked at the Kojipro figures. The fuck are those prices ?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

To this day, I think Parsec has the best streaming technology, with proper 4:4:4 encoding which doesn't kill the red hue. It's pricey though.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Streaming is a feature, not a platform.

The winners of the streaming wars will be those who tie streaming into a bigger service (i.e. services like Game Pass) or those who plug streaming into platforms people already use (i.e. services like GeForce Now).

Stadia, just like OnLive, tried to make itself the platform, complete with bespoke hardware. The cost of doing everything on the cloud 100% of the time is unbearably huge and the act of actually playing on a cloud server will not be attractive to most consumers should such a thing ever hit critical mass (imagine having to queue to play a big release, because that's The Future if these cloud gaming grifters get their way).

As a broader mini-rant, people cite Netflix as a reason that cloud is The Future of Gaming, but the medium of film and TV and how people engage with them is completely different, as are the costs associated with delivering that content to end users. Streaming something from Netflix vs downloading it on iTunes are actually not that tangibly different from a delivery perspective. The same video is being transmitted over the internet and downloaded to an end device that decodes and plays it. But effectively if you download a film from iTunes and stream the same film at the same bitrate from Netflix in the same format, chances are the bandwidth and processing requirements to deliver and display that content are extremely similar.

When you think of it like that, Game Pass/Ubisoft+/EA Play/PS Now are the closest things we have to Netflix for games, and while some of them incorporate an optional streaming element, they all offer downloads and I expect downloading is the primary way people engage with those services. In that regard it is functionally similar in delivery to buying a game. The difference comes in the business model, and that's why I think those services more closely resemble Netflix than any cloud service ever would.

Now cloud streaming is a whole different can of worms, but since it has the word "streaming" in it people obviously think it is just like Netflix. Alas, centralising processing is a nightmare because silicon is a finite resource, and if you put more servers in your rack than you actually need you've just sunk a ton of money that someone paying monthly is never going to recoup for you, and if you don't put enough in your rack all of a sudden customers are waiting in queues to play a game. Just imagine having to queue for upwards of an hour to play the new GTA on a cloud service. It's insane and there's not really any consumer-focussed cloud or computing platform that even comes close to being an equivalent.

What's even more insane is anyone who remembers mainframes already knows all the pitfalls of centralising compute. The best solution to ensure quality of service and financial feasibility is to put compute at the edge of the network and make the end user pay directly for those computing costs.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Y LAD takes place between 0 and 1 ?
Like Arsene said it's just the order in which I'm playing the games. Although there are many references to previous games, Y LAD can be enjoyed without knowing anything about the series (although having played 0 is highly recommended)!

I've been replaying Kiwami 2 and I noticed this as well. The City looks nicer here than in Y7/Y LAD. It's kinda weird. Kiwami 2 older right?
Yes it is! AFAIK Kiwami 2 (~2018) uses the same version of the Dragon Engine that was used for Yakuza 6 (2016).
One thing that Y LAD does better is character models (especially the eyes... they're more... soulful?) and particle effects.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I absolutely love LoS 1, exceeded my expectations and was a good length that made you feel like you went on a long journey (great pacing). Music was incredible and I enjoyed the story.

I agree with most here that LoS 2 was also good and I enjoyed my time with it (trailer for that game is one of the best as well). It didn't match the first game at all though for me (besides music), still better than the rep it got.

Reactions: Stevey

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
LoS2 has half the game set in a modern city which comes off bland when compared to the other half taking place in fantastical medievil inspired set pieces.

LoS2 has its flaws and pros but its flaws stick out like a sore thumb sadly.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Really enjoyed LoS 1. The DLC boss is infuriatingly bad though, has the be one of the worst designed bosses in video game history for sure.
LoS2 on the other hand.... I dunno. It's not "bad", but I really didn't enjoy my time with it at all.

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Really enjoyed LoS 1. The DLC boss is infuriatingly bad though, has the be one of the worst designed bosses in video game history for sure.
LoS2 on the other hand.... I dunno. It's not "bad", but I really didn't enjoy my time with it at all.
Yeah that boss was pretty insane. I think it took me about 9 hours straight to take him down at paladin difficulty :face-with-cold-sweat::face-with-cold-sweat:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
oh fuck yes i forgot about this, I had to drop to easy to beat it and it took hours

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
That LoS DLC boss is just a long exercise in tedium. Really long. And I did it on hardest difficulty. :ripblob:
I sometimes think about going back to LoS and the sequel too to clean up the steam cheevos, and then I remember the dlc boss and stop thinking about it.
The LoS2 combat trials would probably also be quite something.

I overall liked the LoS2 even with its peaks and valleys, sadly some of the valleys are quite deep. The fun part about all the omg stealth headlines to me was that there are worse parts in the game but somehow the stealth got everyone up in arms. It never made sense to me. The train/subway sequence is much worse for example.

Game had some decent music.

Some of the trailers for 2 were pretty hype too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey and Swenhir

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I am playing through Persona 5 Strikers right now and they have a Yakuza 7 reference. I am not sure if they just added that for the NA release since they says "it's out now" but it was not out when this released in Japan so I'm curious about that especially with the JPN steam release of P5S and what it really says.

Also....there is a Fortnite reference in the game....

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I am playing through Persona 5 Strikers right now and they have a Yakuza 7 reference. I am not sure if they just added that for the NA release since they says "it's out now" but it was not out when this released in Japan so I'm curious about that especially with the JPN steam release of P5S and what it really says.

Also....there is a Fortnite reference in the game....
Yakuza 7 released in January 2020 in JP, Strikers released a month later in February.

Reactions: PC-tan

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
€0.89 to play Fallen Order, Unraveled, Sea of Solitude, NFS Heat and Titanfall 2 was a great deal for me.

Only drawback is that the games disappear from your Steam library when the subscription runs out. I have a "completed" category to keep track of the games I finished on Steam, and EA's games disappeared from this category as well.
Same, I finished Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefront II and they are now missing from my completed in 2021 shelf. I assumed they would stay in your library with a purchase instead of play button.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Same, I finished Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefront II and they are now missing from my completed in 2021 shelf. I assumed they would stay in your library with a purchase instead of play button.
They only do that if you have them installed sadly

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Dang, I mean that's not terrible, by which I'm referring to that there is at least some indie games but are those really obscure indie titles?

Or are they just obscure to those that don't follow indie titles? Because I feel like "obscure" would basically be any game that is not Fall Guys or Among US, or I guess that is Disco Elysium.

Yosp said he would work on indie titles and yeah that is something that it seems is being worked on but I'm wondering if he will look for "decent" ones or if he is going to mainly be "chasing" what he believes to be the next big one (so Fall Guys did turn out to do very well and it was among one if the ones that he promoted a lot) and if so I do feel that a lot of games are going to be passed by. Since I doubt stuff like Valheim would have been among one of the ones choose and a lot of other games will get overlooked that will likely end up selling better on PC and N/S and may even end up skipping the PS5 (I think that more or less already happens were the PS is not their main priority since some indie games will maybe only have 10% of their sales from PS.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and Tomasety

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Dang, I mean that's not terrible, by which I'm referring to that there is at least some indie games but are those really obscure indie titles?

Or are they just obscure to those that don't follow indie titles? Because I feel like "obscure" would basically be any game that is not Fall Guys or Among US, or I guess that is Disco Elysium.
I would never expect really obscure indies to be chosen though (the steam games that get very good reviews but only 1-50 reviews published), ones Yoshida would only know about would be based on popularity or buzz from the PC community, that's how they are picked for consoles. And as you said Valheim might never have been looked at by a manafacturer but you bet your ass their are deals to get that game and will be on a list similar to this in the future.

Reactions: PC-tan

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
  • Ashen
  • Biped
  • Carto
  • Downwell
  • Golf With Your Friends
  • I am Bread
  • Lonely Mountains: Downhill
  • Minit
  • No Straight Roads
  • N++
  • Octodad
  • Paper Beast
  • Super Time Force Ultra
  • Telling Lies
  • Ultimate Chicken Horse
It is a strange list. For instance, I am Bread is not too appealing imo, it is a weird recommendation.

Edit: Okay, it is a list of "obscure" indie games available on Playstation. The full list of 1073 indie games is here:

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

It really sucks for them to cancel the game. The game doesn't even have enough reviews before it can tell if it's positive or negative and it's been around since 2018

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Got a laugh out of me at least. Tells you a little about Sony’s indie strategy.

I, too, have an obscure recommendation to make. It's this game by a really promising new studio. You play as the son of the god of the underworld and the goal is to escape this place. It's in this kind of not well-known genre where you restart the game when you die but also kind of get to keep some stuff.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Yosp said he would work on indie titles and yeah that is something that it seems is being worked on but I'm wondering if he will look for "decent" ones or if he is going to mainly be "chasing" what he believes to be the next big one (so Fall Guys did turn out to do very well and it was among one if the ones that he promoted a lot) and if so I do feel that a lot of games are going to be passed by. Since I doubt stuff like Valheim would have been among one of the ones choose and a lot of other games will get overlooked that will likely end up selling better on PC and N/S and may even end up skipping the PS5 (I think that more or less already happens were the PS is not their main priority since some indie games will maybe only have 10% of their sales from PS.

I really like Shu, I really do, but that list is in no way "obscure". Maybe on Playstation as I assume most Playstation owners may not be that much into indie games (I still think Playstation has cultivated it's fanbase into mostly just buying AAA games, but that's a discussion for another time), so those games have not been bought and played much making them obscure, but on PC those games are well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.