Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Crazy, so Half Life Alyx will not get delayed and a bunch of other games will.

Just how much power must Half Life have.

If this was anyone else you would see ads and stuff left and right. Maybe we will see some stuff in March, hell Oculus might even make some Half Life ads to let you know that you can play the game on that.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You can spot the Gordon Freemen with the "Do not Ask Me Anything, I don't talk" look.

Kaci (the woman) looks happy. Everything points to her joining Valve has made Valve a ton more communicative. According to VNN (and it seems true considering how Valve does stuff) they considered to just drop Alyx out of nowhere on the Steam store, but she might be a big reason they released a trailer for it.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Kaci (the woman) looks happy. Everything points to her joining Valve has made Valve a ton more communicative. According to VNN (and it seems true considering how Valve does stuff) they considered to just drop Alyx out of nowhere on the Steam store, but she might be a big reason they released a trailer for it.

Seems ridiculous to stealth drop the game when they invested so much money into VR and a premium device for it. Would have been very careless.

The whole communication thing with Valve is overblown imo. Reason they rarely communicated with the community is probably because any communication over the years would have been met with "WHERE IS HALF-LIFE 3" questions nonstop. Social media is a shitshow. It would have never been meaningful on their part to be the way they are now.

But now that they are actually making and about to release a new Half-Life game they have a reason to communicate. All these other theories are just dumb rumors.

Reactions: Swenhir and PC-tan

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
These are the remaining 2009 games I plan on playing over the next couple of days, afterwards I'll be diving back to 90s games and making my way up to the 2000s. Thing is, First Person Shooters can really really drain me, much like RPGs, so I'll be skipping some FPS and RPGs going up and go back to them once I feel relaxed for another FPS or RPG.
Dragon Age Origins
The Last Remnant
Star Wars Republic Heroes
Star Wars Force Unleashed 1
DIRT 2
Stronghold Legends
Serious Sam First Encounter(?)
Dragon Age Origins is (Ultimate edition) is one of the few games I've beat and complete multiple times so that one's cooool from me

Reactions: Dandy

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seems ridiculous to stealth drop the game when they invested so much money into VR and a premium device for it. Would have been very careless.
Yeah, but this is Valve we are talking about. They don't need to profit on Alyx, they don't even need to make another game ever again, they earn so much money from various of form of Steam revenue. They make Alyx because they want to, not because they need to. They can take all the time in the world on Alyx with 150 people on the game and sell 10 copies and not need to care about going bankrupt.

I can definetly see that Valve wanted to just drop Alyx out of the blue on Steam, but Kaci made them rediscuss it.

Also, before at least, all press messages from Valve came from Doug Lombardis own personal Valve email, but now it's been reported Kaci is part of the press messages.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Probably yes if they bundle KH 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 + 0.2 + 3 together and called it Kingdom Hearts AllOurShitBundledTogetherAndFinallyWePortItToPCAfterGodKnowsHowManyYears.
Do you mean Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece?

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Not the heretic i was expecting, but damn does unity look nice when used like this.

Find me a picture of Remo not looking high as fuck. Go ahead, I'll wait. At least, I assume that is Chris Remo who always looks bemused.
As for Valve and communication -silence doesn't work, and clearly laid out responses to questions would go a long way to killing the problems gamers have with expecting announcements (entitled as it is). Say one thing concisely one time and it stops hype from becoming biblical. That's all they have to do.

Stealth dropping things wouldn't have helped any.

Reactions: lashman

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
About the whole Tyler saying that Kaci hired changed everything, I think he is completely wrong and mixing stuff:

Valve had already started doing more PR from one year before (ca. mid 2018) and had already started ramping out more stuff along the year on the PR department. I think hiring Kazi was part of the growth of the PR and putting it as its own separate function rather than the whole catalyst of "OH NOW VALVE DOES PR!!!". Valve developers had already become quite talkative for a while and even had a discord for a game where they were present and talked with the community in Dota Underlords.

If anything, I believe it was the combination of the PR backlash of the October discovery bug on Steam and Artifact failure (and well, the esports side) that made the faction more abverse to talking lose a bit of power and open the floodgates slowly.

Basically, Kaci being hired is not the cause of increased PR, but Kaci being hired was caused by the increase of PR.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Beautiful rendering, especially the facial capture and skin/eye rendering. From an artistic standpoint, what a great cinematography! That bit where the tunnel shift left me wondering how? I can't even understand how that effect worked. The owl's particles, how those strands animate is black magic to me and I can't fathom how it works at all. It reminds me of stuff people pull on shadertoy and raymarched fractals :p.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What do you mean?
What I mean is, please be patient, in less than 65 days, exclusivity for All-in-one collection will end and MAGICALLY it could appear a totally unknown port out of nowhere.

EDIT: just saw it looked like a real tease, please, don't, what I meant is what I wrote here, it's Square, it's always the same, my bad if you thought something else :(

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
only because Durante fixed it :p
That's my point. With all due respect to Durante, it wasn't his job and it's not a stretch to say that they owe him a debt of gratitude for a large part of the IP's popularity to this day. Without DSfix, I think the picture for souls games might look a little different. The fact From never patched DS1 is loathsome to me.

Though I should say that N:E released in a state that is from another perspective much worse. 720p internal resolution is shameful but crashes make the game flat-out unplayable. FAR isn't a perfect solution and... Yeah. You get the idea :).

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
That's my point. With all due respect to Durante, it wasn't his job and it's not a stretch to say that they owe him a debt of gratitude for a large part of the IP's popularity to this day. Without DSfix, I think the picture for souls games might look a little different. The fact From never patched DS1 is loathsome to me.
But they did let Polish superheroes QLOC patch it. Just released the results as a separate app.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
User reviews I do think are important and well there are just too many games and the big news sites will not be able to cover all of them

Reactions: Kyougar

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I’m not a technical guy, so here’s a question. When hovering over the nvidia option it says it is used to set you fps lower than you monitor’s refresh rate. Why ? Why not set it exactly at 60, 120 etc. ?
So if you do it at your monitor refresh rate odds are it's going to fail most of the time and you won't get your monitor refresh rate but +/- 1,2 or 3...

This is especially important for G-sync / Freesync, because if the framerate goes above your synching monitor's max sync rate, it's effectively off and you get tearing, or standard vsync latency is vsync is enabled.

Hadn't watched a Zero Punctuation review in a while and hey this one expresses my feelings on Boneworks so I'm posting it

Reactions: Milena and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Most of his VR complaints are already addressed, newer sets don't use up many ports and there are more affordable options and will likely continue to be.

But then he digs @ pc gaming as a whole with the cooling/cost so meh @ that. Takes a minute and a half with outdated misinformation to get to the game.

And no Boneworks isn't the first effort to do this or that, physics or story or optional seated play or whatever, that's just him being ignorant of other VR games.

Dude needs to go back to making cool video games like Trilby: The Art of Theft and _ _ _ Days a _ _ _ _ _ _ and leave reviews to others if he's gonna phone it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swenhir and Mor
Status
Not open for further replies.