Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Went ahead and submitted my GOTY/GOTD vote. Or at least I believe I submitted it since the confirmation page was in a different language but I did see "Merci" which I believe means thanks so hopefully it went through :)

Anyways my votes.

GOTY

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Castlevania Anniversary Collection
5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

GOTD

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Dark Souls: Remastered
4. Portal 2
5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
6. Witcher 3
7. Spelunky
8. Divinity Original Sin
9. Dark Souls 2
10. Mass Effect 2

It was a tough choice between DS3 and MGSV for GOTD but I eventually just leaned with DS3. A lot of good games were left off the list. I think top 10 wasn't enough for the entire decade. Should have been top 25 or even 50.

But yea overall another good year and good decade for games.

Now bring on another decade of controversial drama, mediocre games, cringe worthy console wars, anticonsumer practices and all other terrible things people like.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I’m 10 hours into Blasphemous and it’s getting pretty stale. The gameplay has barely changed at all, it’s just slash, parry and dodge with the occasional special attack. And now I’m stuck between two bosses, both of which I suspect will be a pain in the ass to beat. Still, I’m somehow compelled to see to this through to the end and show the game who’s boss, so we’ll see.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finally remembered to submit my goty form. Here it is in case anyone happens to care

1. Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice
2. Disco Elysium
3. FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers
4. Total War: THREE KINGDOMS
5. Resident Evil 2 Remake

I didn't really bother with the decade list. I only put New Vegas on there.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Here's my GOTY awards, sloppily copy pasted from a file. Too lazy to even submit officially. Ordered by rank.

Quake 2 RTX
Rarely do we get professional a remake of this quality that is both free and pushes technology to the absolute limit. Besides being the best looking game of 2019, Quake 2 RTX actually changes up the gameplay with its lighting mechanics. Quake 2 was already a great game, and stands head and sholders over the vast majority of modern FPS, but this update makes the game better than ever. Now I just hope some other classics like Doom and Quake 1 get similar treatment.

Anno 1800
The richest and most well balanced management sim of its kind in a long time. I haven't had this much fun building a city since Sim City 2000.

Boneworks
When the music swells in that creepy synth style and a nullbody exterminator has you pinned down and you duck down low, jamming a fresh mag into your assault rifle, and you burst out of cover, take aim with the stock on your should and let loose with precision -- nothing else comes close to these moments.
The physics puzzles with their countless solutions, even when struggling with stacking a heavy box on top of another box, these moments remind me of Trespasser in a good way. I make my own solutions.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
One of the better and more interesting action adventures in a while. Combining elements of * Souls, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, and Metroid Prime, this game doesn't break new ground but combines disparate elements together in a way that works. The game world, characters, and plot are above average for contemporary Star Wars works, as well.

Baba is You
Brilliant puzzle game. Original concept. Fantastic balance of challenge. Addictive.

Ion Fury
Fantastic gameplay. Fun and interesting level design. Good core mechanics. Why can other FPS titles be on this level?

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
The best Wing Commander game in many decades. Recaptures the enrapturing gameplay, challenge (at least on old school difficulty), storytelling, and even visual style of the classics. However, the mission gameplay design is a bit lacking, and the open world randomly generated missions fail to impress.

Luigi's Mansion 3
While distinctly feeling a bit un-Nintendoish and reminding me more of the Super Mario Bros cartoons in vibe, the gameplay and exploration are compelling, the visuals great, and the puzzles intuitive enough for a child yet still providing occasional resistance to an adult.

Hypnospace Outlaw
Extremely unique, nostalgic yet scathing. Depth of commentary and ingenuity. Smart.

Wargroove
Wargroove's main strength is in taking the Advance Wars gameplay schema and greatly increasing strategic diversity by allowing the player to choose many different strategies to win. It accomplishes this by having larger play maps, and many more units with more intricate balances (rather than having units that are simply better in every way from other units but cost more resources). Wargroove, as a result, is much less deterministic and chess-like than Advance Wars. It allows the user to experiment with risky play styles for greater reward.

Hades
The first addictive & fun game by this dev since Bastion. Primarily it has that good click-feel that Diablo 2 and very few other games have.

Blaster Master Zero 2 (PC)

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PC)

Mechwarrior 5

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
One of the best Metroidvanias of all time. Lots of item types, areas, superior level design, storytelling, and the music is good, too. Addictive to play.

Outer Wilds
Something else, like the sort of innovative games we had in the past. This game solar system is astonishingly well realized.

Indivisible
This underrated title packs a powerful punch of fantastic character design and great soundtrack with unique combat mechanics and satisfying platforming. Neither the combat nor platforming are absolutely top tier, and the gameplay balance is off, but the game is nevertheless more satisfying to play than many titles, with great flow and rewarding exploration.

Dead or Alive 6
I played a whole lot of it due to the costume unlock system. It's still fun, but the production values have been weak ever since 4. The gameplay remains largely unchanged but still a lot of fun to play.

Control
Remedy is back, kinda. After the disappointing Alan Wake and the crushingly poor Quantum Break, Remedy is back in fighting form, delivering cutting edge tech that performs well, engaging gameplay and a stylish and interesting world.

Trials Rising
Despite some toe-dipping into microtransactions, these Trials challenges are as compelling as ever, and greatly outshine recent Trials efforts in gameplay design, theme, and visuals. Trials hasn't been this good since the earliest iterations.

Noita
While falling short of the mark in terms of gameplay, this game breaks a lot of new ground, with a lot of literal ground breaking mechanics never seen before in games.

Super Mario Maker 2

Dirt Rally 2.0
It really is the Dark Souls of racers. Challenging, yet rewarding. The physics, gameplay, and environments lend to an atmospheric experience. Driving at night with broken headlights compares favorably to the darkest demon-filled swamp.

Disco Elysium

Mortal Kombat 11
The microtransactions take what could have been one of the very best games of the year and make this one just very good.

Resident Evil 2 Remake
It's pretty, and it plays real well. There is a lot of nuance in the animations and presentation. It is well balanced. Well designed game world progression.

Devil May Cry V
Completely stylish. As always DMC provides a compelling universe with thrilling cinematic action. The gameplay is smooth and deep.

Trover Saves the Universe
It's a funny game that has a smart, minimalistic VR implementation and decent gameplay. The game gets a lot of really difficult to do stuff right.

Metro Exodus
A more directed open world shooter, and that direction and progression really keeps the game going. The graphics are of course cutting edge and rich. Atmospheric & beautiful. The RTX GI gives the world an authentic appearance no other can match. Nice sense of maintenance, natural feeling stealth, tactics, and combat, good environmental exploration, decent characters and compelling world. Not as focused as I'd like. A lot of filler / busywork. Some parts drag.

A Fisherman's Tale
Nice use of perspective in this very pretty puzzle game.

Angry Birds VR Isle of Pigs
It's a good take on Angry Birds in VR. Nice presentation. Over quickly.

Bomb Chicken

Supraland

Ace Combat 7

Civilization VI Gathering Storm

Sekiro

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Disappointing that Sony is skipping E3 again this year. They haven't done a gaming event in whats gonna be 2 years soon. Just coasting on being in first place. I think their new leadership has been terrible. Bring back Boyes, House and Layden because everything since that 2016 E3 from them has been weak. Some weird tryhard conferences and a couple of weak state of plays.

Phil just needs to get Xbox to do a 2.5 hour show this year to make up Sony's absence. That or some other gaming pub should step in for Sony's timeslot and do something cool with it. Something is better than nothing. I kinda feel bad for all the indie and other mid budget games that don't get those eyeballs on their game as a result.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Disappointing that Sony is skipping E3 again this year. They haven't done a gaming event in whats gonna be 2 years soon. Just coasting on being in first place. I think their new leadership has been terrible. Bring back Boyes, House and Layden because everything since that 2016 E3 from them has been weak. Some weird tryhard conferences and a couple of weak state of plays.

Phil just needs to get Xbox to do a 2.5 hour show this year to make up Sony's absence. That or some other gaming pub should step in for Sony's timeslot and do something cool with it. Something is better than nothing. I kinda feel bad for all the indie and other mid budget games that don't get those eyeballs on their game as a result.
Valve to step in and announce L4DVR, PortalVR and Steamboy.

The PC gaming show last year was something.... Didn't some person at that emphasis that their game was going to be on Steam. The Shenmue 3 thing was a disappointed for a number of reasons.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The PC gaming show last year was something.... Didn't some person at that emphasis that their game was going to be on Steam. The Shenmue 3 thing was a disappointed for a number of reasons.
2 weeks prior to the event Rebellion said the game they were announcing was going to be on Steam and then promptly sold out and announced Zombie Army 4 as a EGS exclusive.

Re-Logic (Terraria) also spoke against EGS and said they werent going to sell their souls by making a EGS deal. Journalists and Epic apologists really didnt like that and started insulting them because these guys care about indie devs except ones that disagree with the hivemind.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
2 weeks prior to the event Rebellion said the game they were announcing was going to be on Steam and then promptly sold out and announced Zombie Army 4 as a EGS exclusive.

Re-Logic (Terraria) also spoke against EGS and said they werent going to sell their souls by making a EGS deal. Journalists and Epic apologists really didnt like that and started insulting them because these guys care about indie devs except ones that disagree with the hivemind.
The one that I'm trying to think of was not those. It was at the PC gamer event, their game was show cased and they made sure to tell people while they were on stage that it would be coming to Steam.

Oh and I thought mentioning that one places was highly discouraged (even though it does assume me what they think about Sony).

Reactions: Arsene

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
The one that I'm trying to think of was not those. It was at the PC gamer event, their game was show cased and they made sure to tell people while they were on stage that it would be coming to Steam.

Oh and I thought mentioning that one places was highly discouraged (even though it does assume me what they think about Sony).
Probably Telling Lies from Annapurna. They mentioned how much they loved steam on stage.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
GOTD

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Dark Souls: Remastered
4. Portal 2
5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
6. Witcher 3
7. Spelunky
8. Divinity Original Sin
9. Dark Souls 2
10. Mass Effect 2

It was a tough choice between DS3 and MGSV for GOTD but I eventually just leaned with DS3. A lot of good games were left off the list. I think top 10 wasn't enough for the entire decade. Should have been top 25 or even 50.
I love spicy takes and you putting Divinity Original Sin and NOT Original Sin 2 is a very spicy one. I love it.
Also I totally forgot about Spelunky and now wish I could add it to my list which didn't use all 10 slots because I couldn't be bothered to think deeply enough about the entire decade.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Anyone know?
To be clear I mean this
I have the Index and I play Room scale. Secret Shop I only played once, but should be the same as any other: I move around the room for small distances in game, while I use teleport for bigger ones.
On the Index you just move the sticks on the joysticks and aim where you want to teleport to.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
If i activate The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep on Steam do i get the director's cut? I can not find the DC in the Humble store.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I love spicy takes and you putting Divinity Original Sin and NOT Original Sin 2 is a very spicy one. I love it.
Also I totally forgot about Spelunky and now wish I could add it to my list which didn't use all 10 slots because I couldn't be bothered to think deeply enough about the entire decade.
I love DOS2 as well. Easily a top 25 of the decade but that first game just blew me away. From the way it was designed to the music being so good. Them later adding full voice acting to it all plus It being both turn based and hard was incredible. I still can't believe something like that was made. That entire genre felt like it was near dead and hanging by a kickstarter thread...and then out of nowhere Larian released such a high quality top down rpg. And then another one right after. Hopefully they continue that momentum into Baldurs gate 3.

And yea Spelunky was amazing. I played it for over 250hrs and only reason I stopped because of a bs death during my best gold run. I've actually been in the mood for a roguelike game recently. Trying to hold out for Spelunky 2 but its taking forever. People were talking about Ziggurat earlier in this thread so I might revisit that since I only played it a little bit years ago.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Copy/pasting my lists:

Year
  1. 古剑奇谭三(Gujian3) : While it is undoubtedly unpolished in certain areas, it is oozing ambition and confidence and has continued to amaze me time and time again.
  2. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition
  3. Devil May Cry 5
  4. SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™
  5. Touhou Luna Nights

Decade

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd: Set upon a foundation of 150+ hours, the 3rd is masterful culmination of the Trails in the Sky saga and so much more. My all time favorite JRPG as of yet.
  2. The House in Fata Morgana
  3. Umineko When They Cry - Question Arcs
  4. NieR:Automata™
  5. Undertale
  6. Ys Origin
  7. DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die™ Edition
  8. Hollow Knight
  9. Subnautica
  10. Yakuza 0

I have not finished Gujian, Digimon and Scarlet Grace (tbh I'v barely played Scarlet Grace). I usually don't like to put games I have not finished on my lists, but since all three of those are massive and came out late in the year, I simply I have not had the time to finish them yet so the ranking is a bit preliminary.

I haven't really spent much time on the Decade list tbh. My process was essentially "what comes to my mind immediately?" + doing a cursory look over my library for anything I missed but still wanted to consider and then trimming down the list and ordering things by a combination of gut feeling and "how much did this game affect me/resonate with me". Which is essentially how the top 5 were decided on, 6-10 are more of a regular gameplay/atmosphere/story/etc package thing.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Here's my GOTY awards, sloppily copy pasted from a file. Too lazy to even submit officially. Ordered by rank.
:angry_snowman: I have just sent you the link, you have already done the hard work!
Also I totally forgot about Spelunky and now wish I could add it to my list which didn't use all 10 slots
:surprised_snowman: This can be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and xinek

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Since i don't played any of worthwhile 2019 games (maybe only Gears 5, but its not GOTY for sure), here is my tentative GOTD list, something like that (of course i forgot something important, but who cares anyway)
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Nier: Automata
  • Spelunky
  • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes
  • Fez
  • Dark Souls
  • Portal 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Last of Us
  • Hotline Miami
  • Yakuza 0
  • The Witness
  • The Talos Principle
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Hollow Knight
  • Dishonored
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Alan Wake
  • DROD series
  • Nioh: Complete Edition
  • La-Mulana 1&2
  • Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
  • Deponia series

Reactions: Milena and Tizoc

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Since i don't played any of worthwhile 2019 games (maybe only Gears 5, but its not GOTY for sure), here is my tentative GOTD list,
You should submit the GOTD list, even if you don't have any GOTY. Basically, put "n/a" in the mandatory field for the GOTY, and I will understand.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Dammit, Cooler Master. Send me back a fixed or new PSU already. I need Iceborne in my veins 😭

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
For GOTD I voted:
1. The Witcher 3
2. The Witcher 2
3. Life is Strange
4. Deus Ex Human Revolution
5. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
6. Dishonored 2
7. Prey
8. Alan Wake
9. Alpha Protocol
10. Divinity Original Sin 2

Apart from The Witcher 3, this was not the order of course, I don't remember how exactly I wrote them down in the end :drinking-blob:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
[HELP] a question about Humble Choice.

I think I subbed back when it was $12. I claimed Jan2020 Choice (SF5, Shadow of War etc), and it says "Unsubscribed" in my Subscriber page. Should I put $12 again to remain in the $12 program or leave it be?

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
[HELP] a question about Humble Choice.

I think I subbed back when it was $12. I claimed Jan2020 Choice (SF5, Shadow of War etc), and it says "Unsubscribed" in my Subscriber page. Should I put $12 again to remain in the $12 program or leave it be?
Did you cancel your subscription?

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Atelier Dusk trilogy is out.

About $40 per game in my region, so pretty much as I've expected.
I'm actually happy with the pricing in my region. The latest Romance of the Three Kingdoms launched without regional pricing and I was kinda expecting the same for Atelier. Here's hoping that Koei doesn't 'fix' it.

Anyway, I think I will just buy Ayesha for now. Still have to play the Arland series i bought last year

Reactions: MegaApple and Kvik

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Wok

Hey so this is probably a silly question but is the GOTD list restricted to only PC games? I realised i missed Zelda BOTW off of my GOTD list. Does it count for PC as i played it through Cemu?

Reactions: Jav

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Wok

Hey so this is probably a silly question but is the GOTD list restricted to only PC games? I realised i missed Zelda BOTW off of my GOTD list. Does it count for PC as i played it through Cemu?
The awards are restricted to the PC platform. Since this game was not officially released on PC, it should not be eligible.
If you really want to include it on your list, you can, but the game is at risk of being disqualified by me so that it does not affect the ranking of other games.

Even if I did not disqualify it, it has little chance to win if other people only vote for PC games.
So, the best case scenario is that it appears in the mentions, like these:

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Street Fighter IV debuted in the late 2000s, but even if you give reasons for it not being worthy of GOTD for its era, it is still an important game due to it revitalizing the FGC.

I think for the 2010s, Dark Souls deserves the honor of GOTD at least based on what I've read of it :p

Reactions: PC-tan and Echoes

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Street Fighter IV debuted in the late 2000s, but even if you give reasons for it not being worthy of GOTD for its era, it is still an important game due to it revitalizing the FGC.

I think for the 2010s, Dark Souls deserves the honor of GOTD at least based on what I've read of it :p
Nominate Ultra Street Fighter IV :) It was released on 2014

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I knew my GOTD instantly. It was the other 9 that gave me the hardest time. So many great games that came out.

CM updated my RMA request saying they've received my PSU. Getting closer... :plsblob:

Reactions: PC-tan and Milena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I gotta say, in one way, it's sad because I always liked their press conferences and it was part of the fun around E3 time, on another hand, they could easily just make their own event and stream it, might cost less and due to no ESA around it might give them more freedom to do things the way they want.

Still, the last bunch of showcases (state of play and press conferences) have been weak from Sony imo.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Since we be posting lists, mine went something like this:

Soma
XCOM 2
Darkest Dungeon
Human Revolution
The Division
The Walking Dead
Battlefield V
Bioshock Infinite
The Evil Within
Magic the Gathering Arena

I’m sorry to all the games that I haven’t gotten around to that might have made the list, like Edith Finch, Talos Principle, Evil Within 2, Resident Evil 7, Original Sin 2, Into the Breach, Wargroove, MGS V, Far cry 5, Outer Wilds. RDR 2, Obra Dinn, The Division 2.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Reading some goty lists in here, I'm starting to realize I'm the only one that played Slay the Spire...

Reactions: lashman

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
It was a bit sad leaving great games like Mass Effect 2, AC: Revelations and Civ VI out of my GotD list but that just goes to show how incredible the last decade was.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
Status
Not open for further replies.