Community MetaSteam | July 2019 - Racing Towards Empty Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
The interactive recommender is a very interesting idea but it needs more control. Something like "please forget about the thousands of hours in Dota 2 because I finally got rid of that addiction".

And maybe have the option to consider some of the store data they are ignoring.

Also.... it's far from the top but somehow "Hentai Crush" and "Super Naughty Maid 2" get on the list if I restrict to newer games. Please don't tell me that's "Nights of Azure" fault.... one pervy game you play (on Steam :p) and you keep paying for it for years...

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and Nabs

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The automated show is really great and funny but 6 second trailers are too fast. They need to do something like 15 seconds I think for it to be really effective.

Gonna be hilarious if Valve just creates their own automated E3 press conference but this one runs 24/7/365 a year. :LOL:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
The videos on that Interactive Show should be a tad longer (to differentiate it from the micro trailers), but after the first 30 games I already wishlisted 3 new games and rearranged the order on my wishlist for two more.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Ok I had to chuckle a bit
I know Valve wants to automate everything.... but it's okay to have some human supervision, specially on the video you are using to show off the concept.

Overall I like the ideas, but probably would prefer 9-10 second trailers.

Steam should do something similar for owned games, so I know what to play next
I was just thinking the same thing because just today I had the traditional "what the heck do I play now?" crisis. Could really use Steam snooping in my library and yelling at me "why you haven't played this yet?!!".

Reactions: Deku

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I have finished watching the automatic show. It drills home how many, many games are being released all the time. While discoverability may be A problem for indie devs, it is not THE problem. That would be the fact that the consumer's time is limited - I just cannot all play all these games, even if I buy way to many anyways...

Thanks to the video, I added these to my wishlist (why do I not own Arma 3 already?)

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I know Valve wants to automate everything.... but it's okay to have some human supervision, specially on the video you are using to show off the concept.

Overall I like the ideas, but probably would prefer 9-10 second trailers.

I was just thinking the same thing because just today I had the traditional "what the heck do I play now?" crisis. Could really use Steam snooping in my library and yelling at me "why you haven't played this yet?!!".
Just created a thread about it. I hope they read the forum :D
Seems right, it's cheap on chrono.gg also. Ok maybe it's wrong after all, since it's deluxe
The deluxe edition is 1 euro cheaper than the vanilla edition. It got a price error

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Peek Behind the Scenes

Check out the original mockup video:

The voiceover in that mockup is human, but the VO script is sourced entirely from text that's available on the Steam Store pages. In theory, this meant that the automatic show could both write and voice the entire show. However, in text-to-speech tests, THE. COMPUTER. GENERATED. VOICE. WE. USED. SOUNDED. A. LITTLE. STILTED, so we tabled that for a bit. We're working on that, though.

Next Steps?

Right now, the automated show bot is a black obelisk that sits in Boston, Massachusetts, and will only generate an episode when someone speaks a complex series of prime numbers into its electronic ears. It's mostly-automated, but requires a human to kick it off. Should we continue with this experiment, we'll want to make it something that runs daily or weekly without human intervention.

And why stop at one show? How about many? An Indie channel? Endless micro trailers? The sky's the limit, right?

Additionally, we might refine some of the motion graphics, like so:

Does this sound like we're working in the right direction? Are we off-base? Do you love the idea of living in a lunar colony by 2024? Join the discussion here!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Considering about 90% of the games the Interactive Recommendation Tool shows me are on my wishlist already, it tells me that
1) it actually seems to know my tastes pretty well
2) I'm pretty good at finding the games I'm interested in

Though playing around with it, I did find a bunch of games to wishlist - and some I thought I already had wishlisted :p

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and Kvik

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
"GamesGraph is a backlog organizer and recommendation engine tailored for PC gamers. This website can sort your library and wishlist in a way that makes sense, helping you decide what to try next and find out if you've been missing anything cool from the latest Steam sales."

Highly recommend it!

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
"GamesGraph is a backlog organizer and recommendation engine tailored for PC gamers. This website can sort your library and wishlist in a way that makes sense, helping you decide what to try next and find out if you've been missing anything cool from the latest Steam sales."

Highly recommend it!
Thank you for the recommendation and I'm going to take a look later... finally decided to start something (The Missing) over here. But I usually don't have much luck with third party sites. Even if you do opt to give then all you game time played data, they still have a lot less to work with than Steam, and with machine learning, datasets are everything. This new interactive recommender appear to be good start, if I ignore some of the entries because of Dota 2, so it kind made me wonder about a more integrated solution.

In the end... I'm lazy :p and something like the "What will I play now?" button the news xbox app has but with this recommendation engine behind it could be really interesting.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The interactive recommender is excellent, it needs to be expanded and become a regular Steam feature ASAP.
that's the general idea, i imagine :p

they just want to make it better before it's out of the "experiment" phase ... that's why they're gathering feedback from users and devs

Reactions: Alexandros

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
S

Highly recommend it!
Soooo what's a good sorting order I should have it arrange my list as?

Deleted member 113

Now that She Sees Red launched...

... and Corpse Killer is coming out soon...

... it would be awesome to have a thread dedicated to FMV games (something pretty, with images, a banner, ...).
Is anyone willing to do one?

I'm willing to "bribe" the person who does it with a free copy of She Sees Red (I have an extra copy). ;)

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
S
Soooo what's a good sorting order I should have it arrange my list as?
This is what I've been working with and it's been giving me good (and varied) suggestions so far:

I think it helps to feed it a decent number of ratings btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wok and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Octopaths original price is insane, but Ive always wanted to play it and now that it's on PC I can finally use a trainer, I might just cave in now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reading that thread on ERA if cheating in SP should be allowed.

Lol. Fuck off. I do what I want. Im currently considering buying Octopath now on Steam sale because I suck at JRPGs despite that I enjoy them.

I cheated at times in Sekiro and had a lot of fun.

It's nobodys business wherever I cheat in a SP game othee than mine.

I buy all my games on PC because because if I get stuck, something is too difficulty, I need to grind etc. I can always rely on some sort of cheats to help me out.

I use "fast kill" cheat in a trainer for Hellblade because I found the combat to be repetive and often wasting my tine due to how many hits enemies took.

It's a videgame, life is short, I don't have time for bullshit.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I spoke too soon about Death End. They didn't start allowing resolutions over 1080p, they literally just added native 4K support. So nothing for 1440p, or anything lower than 1080p.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I spoke too soon about Death End. They didn't start allowing resolutions over 1080p, they literally just added native 4K support. So nothing for 1440p, or anything lower than 1080p.
Hm, that is disappointing, but just as I have suspected. I'll have a play around with it tonight, maybe there's something that can be done via SpecialK.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Been to Meta after long time, currently busy with college (which is going great, by the way).

Just want to share my "grief" that I lost my Steam Sale discount just the moment I hit the cart for payment. Sale ended at 11:30 PM local time, and I clicked at 11:31

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The next round for improvements for the "recommend-bot" should be a more granular exclude filter. For example, I want to exclude the games which already in my wishlist, and all games which has the word "hentai" on it. Also the ability to select multiple tags at the same time, and perhaps saving the filter set into a preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.