Community MetaSteam | July 2022 - Stray(t) out of Kowloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019

Getting kinda hyped for the imminent Clanfolk drop.

I've taken a number of RimWorld-likes for a spin, but none have ever really stuck. Making me wonder why I should even try an imitator when I've got RimWorld sitting right there. (Though Cultivation Simulator provides a strong argument against this.)

What struck me though was a pinned dev post on Clanfolk's forum titled, What is the main difference from RimWorld?

Yes this will come up a lot for sure. Rimworld is obviously a huge inspiration and pretty much perfect at doing what it does, so the parts of Clanfolk that are like Rimworld are that way because that is the right way to do the thing.

But here are the main ways Clanfolk differs.

Family
The main difference is the tight focus on Clan family. I am trying to create a life simulator to draw the player into the day to day lives of these little people, whereas RImworld is a story generator for a colony.

The people in Clanfolk are born, live a long life under your care, and eventually die. You get to know these people over many hours as you raise them and tailor their lives. They also go through distinct phases of life baby, juvenile, adult, and senior.

The Clanfolk also have a much wider array of needs, more akin to the Sims. I want players to enjoy watching the Clanfolk live their daily lives in the community that you have planned for them. They actually have a proper hierarchy of needs where as they fulfill needs like food, and shelter, then they start to care about social interactions and having fun.

Focus on Day to Day Life
So Clanfolk is about planning vs nature, not random events or raids. Rimworld has a lot of focus on combat and making the perfect killbox. That is a lot of fun, but Clanfolk isn't about that. It is about preparation for winter using historically accurate means.

Each day, there will be a routine that you need to improve upon. The eels need to be collected from the traps, wood chopped for the fires, fields watered or fertilized, animal stalls scooped out, meals cooked. There are all these things you need to do to just live. Then you worry about expansion and preparation for winter.

World Sim
The main antagonist in Clanfolk is nature, not raiders. So you need to worry about things like wind chill, and being wet. People and animals have body heat that can be shared in small spaces. Everything has a flammability value that is effected by local moisture (so grass fires in summer, but not spring or fall) The more real that I can make the world, the more real the Clanfolk will feel and hopefully the more that you care about them.

Atmosphere
So, I want you to want to be there. I want players to just sip a coffee and watch the fish jump in the lakes, or listen when flocks or crows head home for the night. Watching the wind slowly weave through the grass is just nice, for me anyhow. I escape into the game.
So depending on what you are looking at, soundscapes form based on what is in the area and the time of day. If you are looking at a forest in the morning, the songbirds will be going nuts. A late at night, then the frogs start singing. Everything is meant to draw you in. There is also time to enjoy it. There is lots of time to think.

Setting
This one is probably obvious, but the setting is entirely different. This is a historically accurate life sim in the highlands of Scotland vs. Stranded survivors on an alien world. Rimworld's theme is very compelling and you can't go wrong with Firefly/Cowboys, but I am after Highlander and Braveheart (the peaceful bits in those movies anyhow)

Conclusion
I am hoping that people get something totally different out of Clanfolk. I want them to have memories of a home they built for a struggling little Clan that they cared for in a setting they enjoy.

I thought this was a refreshing take. The dev embraced the RimWorld inspiration and was very praising of the source material. Still they clearly sussed out the differences.

One of the big things that struck me was that the bread & butter raids & tower defense found in RimWorld were completely absent in Clanfolk. The latter being focused on survival vs. nature in period authentic medieval Scotland. This shift in focus to a more grounded setting is def. my jam. The nods to Sims-like family management sounds pretty ace too.

Think I'll reinstall the demo tonight and give it a more serious, critical pass.
This is a fantastic explanation by the dev. I played Going Medieval a bit (are medieval rimworld-likes a thing now?), but I stopped playing it because it's still in the early access phase where your saves can become incompatible. It does have raids/combat like Rimworld, but just different enough due to the time period. It's really fun, and I recommend it based on what I played a few months ago.

I was thinking of something like Foundation for a more relaxed experience, but it sounds like Clanfolk really sells itself from this explanation, though. How can I possibly pick between these time-consuming games which are all good and scratch the same itch? First-world PC problems.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, I somehow thought Spidey was December. Cool.
Or very uncool, I'm in the middle of an upgrade and don't really have the money to add a 700 bucks 3070 ti.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Trying to sell my Switch OLED at buying price. Outlook VERY GOOD.
Trying to sell my 2060 Super for 400 euros. Outlook UNCONVINCED.

edit
300 offer for the 2060, meh. Too much to add for a 30xx.
We will see :evilblob:

It feels good to sell shit before going in the red for once. I’m not used to being reasonable.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Hellpoint DLC is out. I enjoyed the base game enough to be excited for this. Also I barely remember how to play but pretty sure my wall of fire killed everything at the end so hopefully that still works

I was really surprised by this popping up, I had no idea it was in the works.
And yeah, I'm excited about it. Hellpoint does quite a few of those particular parts of the Soulslike experience well that I care about which are often neglected by other attempts.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I’m one of those toxic fans and I still don’t believe it won’t be censored. They just made “damage control” with it’s being discussed with platform holders statement.
I haven't said anything publicly or pinged any devs or whatever, but I also believe Lollipop Chainsaw has some challenges to face against modern Sony America guidelines. I hope it comes out on other platforms fully in it's glory, but I'm not holding my breath tbh.

This is more and more tempting for my next build. The idea of having a small PC I can easily place anywhere is desirable. I just wish CPUs and GPUs were not becoming such little power hungry thermal beasts.
I'm right there with you. I want my next PC to be a mini, but desktop GPU's keep getting bigger instead of smaller and power demands are going up too. 😭

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
This is more and more tempting for my next build. The idea of having a small PC I can easily place anywhere is desirable. I just wish CPUs and GPUs were not becoming such little power hungry thermal beasts.
I'm hoping we'll see more and more desktops and laptops with decently powerful AMD APUs similar to the Steam Deck. Having a wealth of decently powerful APUs at hopefully decent prices for desktops and laptops (and handhelds of course) would only be good for PC gaming.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Is it just me or does Death Stranding: Director’s Cut have way more issues than the base game on PC? I have an issue where I need to unplug and replay my Xbox One controller every time I launch the game, or else it will start double-inputting - but when I do that, every time I open the inventory it shoves the mouse cursor back into the middle of my screen. On top of that, it seems to run worse than the base game, and on Steam Deck I’m having an issue where it will randomly stop accepting input on the mission accomplished screen, forcing me to quit and restart the game. I don’t lose progress because it usually auto saves at that point, but it’s still mega annoying.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Is it just me or does Death Stranding: Director’s Cut have way more issues than the base game on PC? I have an issue where I need to unplug and replay my Xbox One controller every time I launch the game, or else it will start double-inputting - but when I do that, every time I open the inventory it shoves the mouse cursor back into the middle of my screen. On top of that, it seems to run worse than the base game, and on Steam Deck I’m having an issue where it will randomly stop accepting input on the mission accomplished screen, forcing me to quit and restart the game. I don’t lose progress because it usually auto saves at that point, but it’s still mega annoying.
I get the double input thing on some games sometimes, its usually Steam input fighting with the native controller support of the game. I have to disable Steam input when it happens.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Hopefully this doesn't mean Chinese users will be unable to access to Steam global in the near future. I was reading some forum posts and there were concerns that it might be closed off.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Hopefully this doesn't mean Chinese users will be unable to access to Steam global in the near future. I was reading some forum posts and there were concerns that it might be closed off.
It doesn't mean that, it means that Perfect World is pushing the platform further to make it more attractive to Chinese users.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Would Monster Hunter Rise be worth it for someone new to the series, that plays solo? I'm also limited in playing time during the week, but if it works well on Steam Deck, that'd be great.

I'm looking to get a new game, and I'm debating between Monster Hunter, Nier Replicant or Nioh 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.