Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

I bought a lot of games recently but my capacity is only at 1000.
The maximum of your boost capacity is always 1000.
Buying games increases your red points.

You then need to get white points ("redeeming" achievements; please see my and other's previous explanations), and convert them to tokens, up until your limit (the amount you have left of red points), by boosting.
The maximum boost capacity (the amount of white points you can convert to tokens is 1000 for each boost.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Alright, I bought some stuff.

I got 6 boosts out of that and now have ~7k points in the pit stop.
Confusingly it tells me that I can earn the same amount by doing quests, but quests don't seem to work. (probably because I still have 17k "white points" and I can't get more until they're less than the boost capacity?

I'll wait to see what happens in 2 hours, but right now this event seems to be a real mess.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

If you can't boost, you probably don't have white points.
If you have white points, and are not converting them to tokens, it's probably because you don't have red points left.

You get red points by purchasing games, and you should get a small amount each day.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Do I have to quit idling the game to make it appear in the grand prix recent played list? Or will it appear automatically as soon as it's been 30-31 min?

Edit: It appeared automatically.

Reactions: Dandy

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
I've got 4 games lined up way above my red limit, so good to go.

It's pretty easy really, just download the program, run it and click on the icons for the games you want to "idle" or fiddle with the achievements and a window will pop up. SAM doesn't pick up all games so you might have to add the unique ID from the store URL at times.
I tried that yesterday and it was saying that steam wasn’t running. Not sure what that was about.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
This sale makes me wonder why anyone would buy VR games that are not Oculus exclusives not on Steam. Like, I have 141 VR games in my library now and if I ever bought a non-Oculus headset (I plan to buy an Index if I somehow at some point get access to buying it) I could still play them.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I still don't understand how some of you has so many boosts. Do you get them by buying games? I only got three boosts which I used up to get a very shy 2244 tokens
Yeah, I got 2 boosts to start with and 6 after spending 50€ and that's only half you need for a single discount.
And then there are guys that start with hundreds of boosts and get dozens of discount coupons without buying anything. I don't get it either.

Reactions: arts&crafts

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I would've had 3077 red points if I hadn't used them up. That allowed me to do four boosts. All I spent on Steam since the end of the Lunar New Year event was €16,93 and I spent €3,19 during the sale yesterday. So I must've gotten 386 from buying that game (121 per 1 euro acc to Valve), meaning I had 2691 for prior purchases. So 1 euro spent since the last event was worth 158,95 boost capacity?

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I think I am bugged, I had 0 boost or tokens to start anything with.

I just bought a 11 € game and I am still with no boost and 0 tokens.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: MJunioR

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I can't tell, you mean this one?
Yes, the red value is what increases when you buy the games. You need to either unlock the achievements or, better yet, idle a game you already completed for around 30 minutes.
Once you do so, just claim those points (they'll be the white value you currently have at 0): the game you've been playing will appear further down the page. The more and rarer the achievements for a game are, the more white points it will potentially give. You can't however redeem more than what your red value is.

Simple. :suicide-blob:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think buying stuff only raises the red number. To get the white number up (the 0 next to your 12080 points), you need to get points from achievements and stuff. But those are easy to get. Just play (run in the background) a game in which you have tons of achievements for 30 minutes and you'll be able to redeem points for them.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Yes, the red value is what increases when you buy the games. You need to either unlock the achievements or, better yet, idle a game you already completed for around 30 minutes.
Once you do so, just claim those points (they'll be the white value you currently have at 0): the game you've been playing will appear further down the page. The more and rarer the achievements for a game are, the more white points it will potentially give. You can't however redeem more than what your red value is.

Simple. :suicide-blob:
I think buying stuff only raises the red number. To get the white number up (the 0 next to your 12080 points), you need to get points from achievements and stuff. But those are easy to get. Just play (run in the background) a game in which you have tons of achievements for 30 minutes and you'll be able to redeem points for them.
Thanks you two, I started Idling.

Reactions: Milena

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yep! That one. You fill it by playing games and unlocking achievements, or idling one that you have lots of achievements on for 30 minutes.

Then you'll be awarded points, once you redeem them, the white number counter next to the red one will go up. Then you can use the Boost to get Tokens.

As of now, you're 3000 odometer short of a 5 bucks discount, so you would have to spend ~30 USD / Euro in order to access the discount (which is purchasable for 15k tokens)

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
As of now, you're 3000 odometer short of a 5 bucks discount, so you would have to spend ~30 USD / Euro in order to access the discount (which is purchasable for 15k tokens)
That should be doable, I have set me a limit of around 200 € for this sale (skipped buying anything during the Lunar New Year one).

Reactions: NarohDethan

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Ok I idled enough that I can finally get a coupon, but now I'm out of red points. I actually have a few more possible games to get white points for 3 more coupons, but i don't really feel like spending $15 more to get each $5 coupon right now.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm sure ppl are anxiously waiting for a subpar dark depressing horror-detective game to play right in the middle of summer.
Ignoring The Sinking City, I don't know why they keep releasing bleak/horror games during summer. I bought A Plague Tale at launch but I just can't play it while I'm melting in 40 degrees celsius all day with not a single cloud in the sky. The same happened with Vampyr when it launched, I came around and played that one only in October.

Reactions: Ge0force and Milena

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I still don't understand how some of you has so many boosts. Do you get them by buying games? I only got three boosts which I used up to get a very shy 2244 tokens
Spending a lot of money on Steam between the last sale and now.
(For me personally, I bought an Index and that means I spent significantly more on Steam in that time period than I usually do in a year)

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I ended up getting more game through GMG and Fanatical than directly through Steam, wonder if that lowered my boost potential.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just calculated that, at least for €, and ignoring all the other stuff you can do with tokens, the sale event is basically exactly an extra 4% discount on everything.

I'd say the most interesting part about it is that it's also a 4% discount on everything you bought on Steam since the last sale (outside of any sale event!).

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
The one thing I still dont understand is the achievements. It wont let me "redeem" any of my achievements because it says I have no boost capacity. Overall i have redeemed 1 game... whats the point of the whole thing if I cant do anything with the achievements.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The one thing I still dont understand is the achievements. It wont let me "redeem" any of my achievements because it says I have no boost capacity. Overall i have redeemed 1 game... whats the point of the whole thing if I cant do anything with the achievements.
The point (for Valve) is to have you buying more games to increase your capacity :p

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Boost capacity is what you get for purchases (the red number).

Basically, they aren't going to give you what basically amounts to money for something intangible economically (like achievements), so the event only rewards you for a combination of both the intangible (points awarded for achievements and event challenges) and the tangible (capacity awarded for money spent -- and a nominal amount each day).

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Boost capacity is what you get for purchases (the red number).

Basically, they aren't going to give you what basically amounts to money for something intangible economically (like achievements), so the event only rewards you for a combination of both the intangible (points awarded for achievements and event challenges) and the tangible (capacity awarded for money spent -- and a nominal amount each day).
Fair enough, they should have probably given us less points per game then if they wanted to give an incentive for playing games or earning achievements. I think I got 25,000 white points from Path of Exile achievements which is more than I can ever spend I guess.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Fair enough, they should have probably given us less points per game then if they wanted to give an incentive for playing games or earning achievements. I think I got 25,000 white points from Path of Exile achievements which is more than I can ever spend I guess.
Yeah, the ratio is a bit out of whack from that perspective.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
(edit: oh it's old)

Ignoring The Sinking City, I don't know why they keep releasing bleak/horror games during summer. I bought A Plague Tale at launch but I just can't play it while I'm melting in 40 degrees celsius all day with not a single cloud in the sky. The same happened with Vampyr when it launched, I came around and played that one only in October.
Don't ask me. The Thing and Blade Runner, two of my favorite movies, released in the middle of summer '82. On the same day even. Needless to say people kept throwing more money at that other useless alienwanker nobody cares about anymore, while those two became classics over time. Apparently those in charge of release dates haven't become much smarter since then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.