Community MetaSteam | March 2019 - The Core Values of One-Handed Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
First half of the trailer is like, what if they had UE4 in the Dreamcast days. So faithful to 1 & 2 and so distinct and unlike contemporary stuff :)

Game's gonna have a unique identity for sure. Can't wait. Later scenes look a little rougher but hopefully they haven't been through the final polish pass.

Suck it haters, it's almost here. I always wtfed at the hate campaign for this game, calling it a scam and shit, same for Star Citizen, they both show clear steady progress even if they missed dates and people are clearly working their asses off on them. Then again haters will bash it no matter what on release as it's not going to be a Grand Theft Auto 6 caliber massive AAA game of multi-million sales, as if anyone expected that out of a small scale crowd fund for a niche series.

I'm just hoping for an adventure on par with Shenmue 1 & 2. Not on par with the revolution they were for their time, just what they were as games in the end. A comparatively to modern open stuff small scale, not quite sandbox but mostly linear yet at your own pace with a lot of details in each of the small areas, a lot of character interactions, some puzzles, side activities, and of course a decent combat system and a nice plot development out of it all.

My only real worry at the moment is the new combat system. I loved that 1 & 2's was like Virtua Fighter and at the time hoped the eventual 3 would take that further and clone it outright, at least for the 1 on 1 fights, as I felt the new elements didn't quite work out, it was a bit messy. Now they're doing something new and unproven as they can't copy SEGA's Virtua Fighter again so, we'll see. But even if it's not the greatest I'm getting it for the whole, not just the combat.
To be honest, at least to some extent, I can kind of understand the antsiness around Star Citizen considering it's been in development for over 8 years now. Its original release date, which retrospectively was insane to suggest, was slated for 2014, and now S42 doesn't have a full beta slated until Q2 2020. With how long it's been developed and how much money it has gotten, I think some critiques/fears, like those regarding potential feature creep, are probably pretty fair.

With Shenmue 3 though, I don't understand any of the consternation around it. By the time the game is released, it will have been in development for just barely four years, which is pretty amazing speed for any game. It's working on a small budget, so anyone expecting some AAA-level game is clearly out of their mind. And almost every time they've shown the game, there has been meaningful, verifiable progress. All the reaction to the progress shows us is why "normal" non-crowdfunded games try to not show gamers behind the curtain during development, since people are clearly too stupid and immature to follow games-in-progress.

The only thing left at this point that I think looks a little off is the faces in motion. Stand-still, they look fine, but some of the interactions look weird, particularly around the eyes. Hopefully they can touch that up, but if not, whatever, I'll live.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Legit concerns are fine, that's not what I discussed there. I have concerns myself, for example about the unknown new combat system as I mentioned.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

A little late, but is Frog Detective a legit good game?
Well, it's an enjoyable game, I rather liked it, and I'm looking forward to the second game, but it's so simple and short I'm sure many won't find it worth it.
It's a short (1h or so) adventure game, with simple and easy puzzles, and quirky graphics, characters, and dialogues.

It's the kind of game that anyone, including kids, can play.
But, personally, I found the combination of colourful and quirky visuals, with a catchy jazzy soundtrack, to be a great match, and a very enjoyable break from all the shooting and killing one usually does with most games. :giggle:

Here's the trailer for the first game:

The small island you see in the trailer is pretty much the (small) extent of the area the game takes place.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Between packing stuff I wanted to buy Tecmo games during the weekend sale but instead I've been buying games from my wishlist which seem to be highest risk for Valve to ban/remove without warning. Definitely had to get the first Kara No Shoujo at least.

Guess I'll be at this for a couple weeks, so don't mind the activity feed lol. Just anime filth. :whistle:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Haha I was just about to do an edit and say that I would not buy it and would instead finally delete my epic account! I know I already should but free games are free games,. Subnautica and timbleweed are two games I really do want 5o play.
lol :p oh, you

Reactions: Le Pertti

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
How do you tell what patch/version number a game on GOG is? Especially if you do not own it?

Example: Factario
I don't know how to check the latest version of a game you don't own, but you can check in your library by clicking the game, then click on more and there's an option to check the changelog.

Reactions: Tizoc and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Are there any good software that checks on the status of one's hardware? I am concerned that my lappy's GPU and CPU might be fritzing out XO

Deleted member 113

I'm curious, how many of you have deleted your epic accounts?
I did. :giggle:

I had an account from trying out the latest Unreal Tournament, when it was announced a few years back (and I also had Shadow Complex, and a few Unreal assets there), and around the time Metro Exodus and Operencia where announced as EGS exclusives, I remembered I had an Epic Store account, and I requested it to be deleted.

but that was way before egs was announced ... possibly even before they got the publisher (can't remember)
I'm crazy about the Shenmue series, but if the 3rd game would be EGS exclusive, and they wanted to send me EGS keys instead, I would ask for a refund for the few hundred $ I dropped backing it.

But, I just wanted to point out once again, yesterday's kickstarter email update had the following listed:

System Requirements for PC Version

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.
although, you know this means absolutely nothing ... KS emails are being replied to by the devs ... but they have a publisher now ... one that thought reassuring people they'll be getting steam keys in physical copies of another game they're publishing only a few hours before they announced the exclusivity deal

so ... you know ...

Deleted member 113

although, you know this means absolutely nothing ... KS emails are being replied to by the devs ... but they have a publisher now ... one that thought reassuring people they'll be getting steam keys in physical copies of another game they're publishing only a few hours before they announced the exclusivity deal

so ... you know ...
I have no doubts that Shenmue 3 is one of the targets for EGS exclusivity. Since the very beginning, I believe this and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, two high profile crowdfunded games, would be targeted by Epic, since gaining the exclusivity of either or both would bring further awareness to the shop.

So, what I meant with the post above is that, since they continue mentioning Steam as a requirement to not only backers, but also those who pre-ordered the game after the campaign closed (where they advertised both digital and physical copies with an option for Steam), I believe backers will be getting the game on Steam. It would be a gigantic shitstorm, even worse than Metro, if they told the backers, and those who pre-ordered the game afterwards for the tune of a few million dollars, that they would not be getting the game in the platform they advertised.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I have no doubts that Shenmue 3 is one of the targets for EGS exclusivity. Since the very beginning, I believe this and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, two high profile crowdfunded games, would be targeted by Epic, since gaining the exclusivity of either or both would bring further awareness to the shop.

So, what I meant with the post above is that, since they continue mentioning Steam as a requirement to not only backers, but also those who pre-ordered the game after the campaign closed (where they advertised both digital and physical copies with an option for Steam), I believe backers will be getting the game on Steam. It would be a gigantic shitstorm, even worse than Metro, if they told the backers, and those who pre-ordered the game afterwards for the tune of a few million dollars, that they would not be getting the game in the platform they advertised.
true ... but the question here is: what will volvo do if that happens? i mean - at least with Metro they're still getting that 30% from all those pre-orders ... with Shenmue they wouldn't get shit, since all those copies were sold outside of steam, so they'd basically would have to host the game for free for a year ... a big difference

also - it would be twice in a row the same publisher pulled this shit on them .... i can't imagine they'd be happy to do it ... you know ...

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

true ... but the question here is: what will volvo do if that happens? i mean - at least with Metro they're still getting that 30% from all those pre-orders ... with Shenmue they wouldn't get shit, since all those copies were sold outside of steam, so they'd basically would have to host the game for free for a year ... a big difference

also - it would be twice in a row the same publisher pulled this shit on them .... i can't imagine they'd be happy to do it ... you know ...
I don't have an answer for that, lashman.

Obviously, what we have to do is wait and see. :)

The only thing I can assure you is that, personally, if Shenmue 3 rewards go out in the form of a EGS key, I will be getting my money back.
That, despite being a guy that has the previous games in several different versions, and owns rare japanese demo discs, japanese promotional vhs tapes, and a number of memorabilia (the only game I have a big collection of such materials), so I consider myself to be a very big fan of the series.

I usually hesitate to use the word "never", but you can be sure: I will never, ever, buy anything from the EGS, and I will not install their client.
I've reached a point in my life where I really don't appreciate when a big company thinks they can dictate my spending habits, and thinks they can "bully" me into using their store, because they think their potential customers have no self-control, and can't live without a videogame.
The only things I can't live without is water, food, and a roof over my head (and the work I have to take to buy all those). I can easily live without something related to my hobbies, even if it's something related one of my favourite videogames franchises.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I've reached a point in my life where I really don't appreciate when a big company thinks they can dictate my spending habits, and thinks they can "bully" me into using their store, because they think their potential customers have no self-control, and can't live without a videogame.
welcome aboard, Comrade Funktion!

:minos_anarchy:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yet it still shows all three games that were expected :p
well yeah ... but they don't really do autocomplete for dev/pub names ... not even when you type out the whole name (which used to work before and actually show the real results ... not anymore, apparently)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Game will get a demo and it'll have a lower price point. Hope it releases soon XO
from the sounds of it ("demo first so people can test it on their hardware") - it's gonna be a while

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I usually hesitate to use the word "never", but you can be sure: I will never, ever, buy anything from the EGS, and I will not install their client.
You see,
puts on a BlizzCon t-shirt
while I appreciate
watches #sponsored Anthem stream
what Steam did for PC gaming
enters payment info for R6S Alpha Packs
I just don't think
redeems DMCV preorder skins code
skipping games on the EGS
rearranges Amiibo display
makes much sense
retweets a Sony Days Gone promo