Community MetaSteam | March 2019 - The Core Values of One-Handed Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
just imagine the "keep the playerbase" tactics in these titles .... aka which will results in devs thinkingwe need this many players or we cant pay google for the serversers ... and then silently dissapear
And if it was a "cloud-only" game like people are already looking forward to, what are you gonna do once they take it down?
Watch the playthrough on YouTube (Google tm). I find the irony most satisfactory.
Hope for the devs to release the game on consoles/PC? Like history has proven I don't think many devs out there cares about game preservation :disappointed-face:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
well, i mean ... you can't really hack what's essentially a video ...
You can probably still hack/cheat with pixel bots though right? That's how some of the most popular FPS aimbots work in games like Overwatch.
Was just about to type the same thing. I think the first aimbots for Counter-Strike before the engine got ripped apart also scanned the screen and moved the mouse based on that info. It will obviously depend on the visual elements of the game and it is a lot harder, but people will find a way.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Like history has proven I don't think many devs out there cares about game preservation
I always feel that we shouldn't rely on corporations for the purposes of game preservation. Not only their decision will always be influenced by their inherent needs to maximise profits, most of the decision makers didn't care enough about old games as art forms.

A community-funded and curated preservation would probably be more effective, but sadly with the copyright laws being what it is, it is difficult to build even one game preservation community effort without all the baggage which comes with it.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I always feel that we shouldn't rely on corporations for the purposes of game preservation. Not only their decision will always be influenced by their inherent needs to maximise profits, most of the decision makers didn't care enough about old games as art forms.

A community-funded and curated preservation would probably be more effective, but sadly with the copyright laws being what it is, it is difficult to build even one game preservation community effort without all the baggage which comes with it.
We shouldn't rely on them, because with the continued expansion of internet distribution, content is being pushed towards even more of a "CONSUME PEONS" mentality than ever before. Like say, oh there's a new Netflix series? Better binge it all tonight, because all the episodes are up now, and I gotta stay on top of the cultural zeitgeist!

Corporations want one of two things right now:

Either to be as disposable as possible so they can push you from one product to the next, or if they don't want to push you to The Next Best Thing™, it's because they're trying to keep you sucked into a single Thing™ for as long as possible to extract money from you. But keep in mind they only want you sucked into Thing™ until Thing 2.0: Shinier and More Exploitative Electric Boogaloo™ is released.

There's no interest in preservation, because preservation would mean you keep playing old things, instead of new things. And you playing old things would mean they don't get to keep making money off of you purchasing copies of new Thing™, or buying MTX in new Thing™.

TL;DR We're screwed.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I feel that some here are a little bit pessimistic then necessary. There were a lot of people that didn't like Stadia's reveal and let's be honest, it will never be successful in different parts of the world or countries that have awful internet structure or even at all, who knows. I think it's for the best not to dwell on the future and focus what we have, such as supporting Xenia, Yuzu and RPCS3 or even trying to change the shitty copyright laws, somehow. I just don't want a Scott Pilgrim situation where I can never play the game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Tizoc ... motherf...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone on /r/Steam posted this:

Wasn't Sweeney complaining about this sort of thing when PUBG Mobile did it?
I don't get this? Isn't that the standard mandatory warning on every site that uses cookies? Like, even metacouncil when you first visit?

Edit: oh, it was clickable, I thought it's just an image haha. I don't think that facebook ad is at all bad form outside Facebook's spying on you but if that Facebook spying is accepted in this manner and they can legally sell your ad space to companies with whatever keywords or interests said companies choose then it is what it is. Nothing like their attempt to spy on your PC's content without consent. Epic's clearly going after the PC market and the PC market is Steam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
That is what some libraries do, at least the National Library of France does. However, it is only for research and preservation purposes.

There was this article (in French and behind a paywall) about it: La préservation du jeu vidéo et ses enjeux | CanardPC.com

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What is the best way to conduct a giveaway? Was can I do on my side that is fair (and believeable)?
wrong thread :p you might want to delete that post in the "new store pages" thread, lol ;)

as for your question - well you only really have 2 options here ... either use the [HIDETHANKS] tag ("hide until reacted") ... but then you'd have no way to track if someone actually took it (but it WOULD be hidden until someone "likes" the post, so it would at least be limited to people who use the forum because unregistered people can't "like" posts) ... or you can use steamgifts and just embed their widgets ... or you can do it manually like The Queen did for her giveaways

TL;DR We're screwed.
yes ... yes, we are ... and game streaming is like the wet dream of every publisher out there - we have ZERO control over anything, we don't own shit, no piracy, no cheating, no hacking, no modding, no preservation, they can take games down at any time and there's literally nothing we can do about it, etc. etc. etc.

literally ALL they ever wanted to do but couldn't control until now

Sad there is no Metal Gear Collection... Maybe someday, If I had to take a guess, maybe it's too much of a licensing nightmare? o_O
don't think so ... EVEN if 4 would be a nightmare for some reason - they could still, at the very least, port 1 (and maybe Twin Snakes, why not), 2, 3, Peace Walker, AC!D etc. etc.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 already had shitty pc versions in the past. The third game has been ported to Xbox and 3DS. Only licensing issue I could see is metal gear solid 4 since it's using a ton of Apple and some PlayStation imagery.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I hope the Castlevania collection includes that SOTN remaster... I also one day hope for the DS Castlevania's to get ported. My favorite is Dawn of Sorrow still...

Sad there is no Metal Gear Collection... Maybe someday, If I had to take a guess, maybe it's too much of a licensing nightmare? o_O
Sotn is likely saved for a later compilation. This firdt one will have stuff from the 8 and 16 bit era which are solid games in their own right.

Mg series can wait Konami was a big name before that hack kojima' westaboo wank :v

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
I think we should just assume for now that Epic will snare anything and everything - and be pleasantly surprised if and when anything releases elsewhere.

There are no new release titles that I need to play immediately - my Steam library is bulging as it is - so waiting for this or that for a year or two is no drama at all.

Would dearly love all of this to blow over, however - it's a shitty, divisive, volatile time in PC gaming, and immersing oneself in the gaming scene, and reading about all of this seemingly bottomless consumer-hostile nonsense is growing tiresome very quickly. Perhaps I need to unplug from the gaming community and simply play some games for a year or two.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Konami collections are epic exclusives?
no ... Outer Worlds is (that's the Obsidian one, we already knew about Outer Wilds)

I think we should just assume for now that Epic will snare anything and everything - and be pleasantly surprised if and when anything releases elsewhere.
yes, that seems to be the best course of action right now

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
If the developers of a game are not sure it will be a big hit they are going to take the money Epic offers. The list of games that have moved to Epic shows it. What surprises me the most is that they don't seem to be worried about the backlash and repercussions on their future projects.

They can't be so naive, can they? :thinking-blob:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
That's what I'm trying to do instead of getting anxious on every interesting game that is announced. Still, this one is going to hurt more then usual.

Trying to look on "bright side", personally, if all of this teaches me how to wait even for highly anticipated games like this one, I will probably save a lot of money on the long run... well, if streaming doesn't fuck us first, but one depressing subject at a time.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Someone posted this on Steam forum, there was work being done on achievements yesterday today.

Last edited:

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018

Someone posted this on Steam forum, there was work being done on achievements yesterday.
Prepping for the 2020 Steam release

Deleted member 113

Rami is a prick. Nothing new.

As for The Outer Worlds, if this ends up being true, it's a bit disappointing, since I'm a big fan of Tim Cain's work.
But, screw it, one less game to buy. :)
Still won't use the Epic client. :p

To be honest, the announcement of the Konami compilations on Steam pretty much overshadowed this for me, since for years I kept hoping to own some of these games, legally, on Steam, especially the Castlevania games. :)

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Based on impressions, it is better not to take i seriously until offi ially announced.
I would be thinking more positively about this if only PCGamesN wasn't a known influencer hired by Epic. For now, I'll assume the worst since I'm already at Despair stage.

This certainly feels like the night NISA announced the localisation of Cold Steel 3 all over again. Despair, followed by 3 fingers of scotch to help me sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.