Community MetaSteam | March 2019 - The Core Values of One-Handed Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
After 70 hours, I have now just finished Umineko Episode 7 \o/
One left!

Jesus, "Wild Ride" doesn't even begin to describe this story. And "long".

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Looking back at the way the PC gaming community reacted to Epic's initial moneyhat barrage so far, I have to say that I'm very happy. Epic and developers admitted that they encountered way more pushback than they anticipated, while the constant stream of damage control articles and the complete lack of sales numbers for any EGS exclusives indicate that things aren't going as Tim Sweeney planned. There's no way that Epic wouldn't have announced sales numbers if they were even remotely decent. We still have a lot of fighting ahead of us but I honestly think that we won the first round.

Deleted member 113

Fans of horror games with a retro aesthetic will probably enjoy developer Puppet Combo's new game, The Glass Staircase:

And, you may want to consider subscribing the developer's Patreon, since you can subscribe at $5 for a single month, and get this game and all of his past games (16 games in total).
Here's a quick trailer with footage from his previous games:

The developer is also working on a game for release on Steam:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Looking back at the way the PC gaming community reacted to Epic's initial moneyhat barrage so far, I have to say that I'm very happy. Epic and developers admitted that they encountered way more pushback than they anticipated, while the constant stream of damage control articles and the complete lack of sales numbers for any EGS exclusives indicate that things aren't going as Tim Sweeney planned. There's no way that Epic wouldn't have announced sales numbers if they were even remotely decent. We still have a lot of fighting ahead of us but I honestly think that we won the first round.
we can only hope that's true

by the way - does anyone remember (or have any links) how the press reacted when GFWL was announced?

---

so ... i think i'll do a twitter thread about all this epic stuff .... what should i talk about? point by point ... help me out here, guys

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've been cleaning my backlog last night. Started to play Armello, played through the 4 tutorial missions but I didn't enjoy it very much. There's a lot to pay attention to, but meanwhile luck is a major factor in winning or losing. Perhaps I'll give it another chance later.

After that, I started Battle Chef Brigade. I'm still getting used to the puzzle combat, but the story and presentation are really well done. Looking forward to continue playing tonight!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I really hope this is true. But I'm afraid many people will cave in for Borderlands 3. While people I know in real life told me that this will be the only game they'll buy on EGS, no doubt Epic will notice and spread this success to get exclusivity for other popular franchises.

Please don't forget that Epic is counting on developers to win the "war" against Steam. This means they will do anything to persuade devs to release their games exclusive on EGS.
I’m just so happy we have a (better) alternative tin ERA.
Same here. This place has been a huge help for me to overcome the disappointment of Epic's shitty moneyhats. And you guys are great people! ☺

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I really hope this is true. But I'm afraid many people will cave in for Borderlands 3. While people I know in real life told me that this will be the only game they'll buy on EGS, no doubt Epic will notice and spread this success to get exclusivity for other popular franchises.

Please don't forget that Epic is counting on developers to win the "war" against Steam. This means they will do anything to persuade devs to release their games exclusive on EGS.
yup ... and they said they won't stop ... ever

yes, they did say they'll eventually stop moneyhatting so many games, but immediately after they also said they might do it occasionally ... which basically mean "whenever there's something really big coming - we'll make it exclusive"

Reactions: Ge0force

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
After that, I started Battle Chef Brigade. I'm still getting used to the puzzle combat, but the story and presentation are really well done. Looking forward to continue playing tonight!

I had some skepticism about the game, but I had loads of fun playing through it. My skepticism was mostly out of my inability for matching games, I think though lol. Some of the frame rate drops were bothersome but it only happened a few times within the game, wondering if that got patched or not! have fun!!!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I had some skepticism about the game, but I had loads of fun playing through it. My skepticism was mostly out of my inability for matching games, I think though lol. Some of the frame rate drops were bothersome but it only happened a few times within the game, wondering if that got patched or not! have fun!!!
Thanks m8! No framerate drops so far (gtx1070 + 8700k)

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm playing Shantae - Half Genie Hero right now, and I must say . .. I don't feel too hot about it?
The levels feel too much like never ending endurance rounds. It's not even that it's hard, it's that the levels don't really feel very interesting. And on top of this the game has these "special" sections to break up the pace (going down a slide, climbing a tower to escape a death trap ), that just end up being even more of a bother.

Might be the first Shantae game that feels just ok to me.

lashman sorry I haven't been posting here as much as in that other place...
Will try to do better :wd_kisses:
The recent bullshit moderation on Era motivates me to post more regularly here. Era is amazing to follow Brexit, though. the offtopic thread there is really nice way to get a quick summary. Not that I actually know what's going on, but at least I'm sure that I know as much as anybody else.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The recent bullshit moderation on Era motivates me to post more regularly here. Era is amazing to follow Brexit, though. the offtopic thread there is really nice way to get a quick summary. Not that I actually know what's going on, but at least I'm sure that I know as much as anybody else.
You do know that Bronson Lee is just lashman's alt account?

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
So... exactly how bad is the Bethesda Launcher now? I really... really want on Steam but Rage 2 is a lot cheaper (25%) on key sellers (and Bethesda regional price sucks over here).
that means you already know more about it than the UK government ;)

💰🎩
Are you enforcing the "must talk shit about all other forum members" part of the Moneyhat?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So... exactly how bad is the Bethesda Launcher now? I really... really want on Steam but Rage 2 is a lot cheaper (25%) on key sellers (and Bethesda regional price sucks over here).
very, very, VERY bad

Are you enforcing the "must talk shit about all other forum members" part of the Moneyhat?
no :(

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Guess I'm waiting for a sale then. It's okay, all this EGS drama has thought me to wait.
That's one thing I'm very curious how it's going to affect Epic's plans going forward.
I'm under the impression that PC gamers have always been used to waiting, especially if you've been a fan of japanese games. (Late console ports all the time was a common occurence not that long ago and still is to some degree).
Combine this with the - if you think about it - paradoxical nature of games themself: they get cheaper with time, but they also tend to get better with time, up to a certain point (unless you're Square Enix cough). Patches, free or paid DLC, complete editions, enhanced editions, you name it. We all do it, but thinking about it rationally, buying a game immediately is not efficient.
So I wonder if instead of driving people to their store, Epic's 1 year exclusives will just get PC gamers used to waiting again, and have them buy things cheaper and more complete. Which probably would be not great fot the industry.
I'm honestly curious how this whole thing will play out.

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
That's one thing I'm very curious how it's going to affect Epic's plans going forward.
I'm under the impression that PC Gamers have always been used to waiting, especially if you've been a fan of japanese games. (Late console ports all the time was a common occurence not that long ago and still is to some degree).
Combine this with the - if you think about it - paradoxical nature of games themself: they get cheaper with time, but they also tend to get better with time, up to a certain point (unless you're Square Enix cough). Patches, free or paid DLC, complete editions, enhanced editions, you name it. We all do it, but thinking about it rationally, buying a game immediately is not efficient.
So I wonder if instead of driving people to their store, Epic's 1 year exclusives will just get PC gamers used to waiting again, and have them buy things cheaper and more complete. Which probably would be not great fot the industry.
I'm honestly curious how this whole thing will play out.
I was thinking something similar these days. Waiting before consuming a entertainment product is usually the smart choice because you at least saves money, but as you said in the case of games you get a lot more advantages as well. The usual way to try to avoid this is a PR blitz to build hype. But in all this EGS "drama" I have seen several people saying they aren't really enjoying all the "pre-release" build up because they don't know where the game will be available. If people start really ignoring all the hype building and start waiting? Yeah, it can do some serious damage to the current industry model. Speaking personally, this is where I'm at. Skipping most previews of any game until we are 100% it isn't going to be moneyhated (which right now is... on the day of release)

My guess is the industry will react buy going even further no GaaS/multiplayer road with events or something that you have to do it now. But I also think that all games wanting all the players time will lead to other complications...

so no one is willing to help me then? thanks :(
Sorry. I didn't post anything because 1) I'm having a bad day eyesight wise and and 2)... I honestly don't know what more we can say to try to show how all of this is obviously not good for consumers.
I mean... really? How in the hell we are at a place where we need to convince people that taking away consumer choice is a bad thing? There is so much false equivalences and ignoring simple facts that it gets... tiresome. Even today on Era they were asking for "proof" that Epic charges transactions fees in certain places.

But.. if I'm trying to be at least a bit useful, for me the strongest argument right now is how full of shit Epic is in everything the say. We already know that the 12% is not sustainable if you are serving all kinds of markets (charging fees, cost of pre-paid cards) so there is no way they keep that even if the current strategy works. They say things and walk it back one week later. They have no plan or vision besides "pay money for shinny things". They outright lie with statements like "500m in store revenue". Most of the arguments I see defending Epic are a combination of "Valve Bad" and "What Epic is doing is going to make it all better in the future". Why are people trusting anything they say about their intentions when we have a ton of evidence right now they aren't honest? I guess you could contrast the difference between Epic and Valve GDC presentations, but people so want to hate Valve that is not going to work.

Eeesh... rant over. I guess that's reason 3) I usually go on an rant I don't say a lot, and can't even blame it on my English :)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Sorry. I didn't post anything because 1) I'm having a bad day eyesight wise and and 2)... I honestly don't know what more we can say to try to show how all of this is obviously not good for consumers.
I mean... really? How in the hell we are at a place where we need to convince people that taking away consumer choice is a bad thing? There is so much false equivalences and ignoring simple facts that it gets... tiresome. Even today on Era they were asking for "proof" that Epic charges transactions fees in certain places.

But.. if I'm trying to be at least a bit useful, for me the strongest argument right now is how full of shit Epic is in everything the say. We already know that the 12% is not sustainable if you are serving all kinds of markets (charging fees, cost of pre-paid cards) so there is no way they keep that even if the current strategy works. They say things and walk it back one week later. They have no plan or vision besides "pay money for shinny things". They outright lie with statements like "500m in store revenue". Most of the arguments I see defending Epic are a combination of "Valve Bad" and "What Epic is doing is going to make it all better in the future". Why are people trusting anything they say about their intentions when we have a ton of evidence right now they aren't honest? I guess you could contrast the difference between Epic and Valve GDC presentations, but people so want to hate Valve that is not going to work.

Eeesh... rant over. I guess that's reason 3) I usually go on an rant I don't say a lot, and can't even blame it on my English :)
thanks ... that actually helps ... A LOT!!! :)

appreciated!

SpectrumWarrior

Mods'R'us
Nov 1, 2018
Samurai Shodown Neo Geo collection coming to Steam:
It's being handled by Digital Eclipse.
From Famitsu: サムスピ6作品を収録した『Samurai Shodown NEOGEO Collection』が発表。PS4/XB1/Switch/PCで今秋発売予定【PAX EAST】 - ファミ通.com
"Samurai Shodown NEOGEO Collection" contains 6 games from "Samurai Spirits" to "Samurai Spirits Zero Special", and is developed by Digital Eclipse. It will also feature online and offline matches, a museum function, and more.

Deleted member 113

Status
Not open for further replies.