Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Two things :
  • After extensive search yet again, a phone would cost me between 500 and 700 euros*. Ok.
  • Man, I hate my G502 mouse and its rotten click that makes a sorta 'spring' sound.

Yeah, it's Sunday, I can't make stellarlly thoughtful posts every day of the week.
Wait... don't say anything.

* I know there are cheaper alternatives. But the mid-range segment is invaded by Xiaomi, which I have nothing against, just the little detail of putting ads in their OS :so-good-blob:
Unfortunate because they are cheaper and IPS, a downside for a lot of people but at least I wouldn't risk burning my screen.

But again, ADS :so-good-blob: :so-good-blob: :so-good-blob:
Have you looked into the Pixel 4a? It was about 350 Euro, and I really like it. You also get pure Android and fairly long support from Google.

Reactions: Li Kao

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't care much about phones. My first smartphone was iPhone then I got bored by iOS so moved to Android and have had my Galaxy S8 since whenever that thing releases and I won't have much problem moving back to iPhone if I suddently want to, Im just not interested in iPhones because of the higher price point (Samsung Galaxy is in general cheaper here).

Got no loyalty to any phone company. I mainly just look for a cheap, but well built, well functional phone from a trusted company.

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Crash 4 releasing later this week. Curious to see if its drm could be overcome.
So far THPS 1+2, MW and Cold Ware are yet to be broken. So i doubt that Crash will be either if it uses same DRM.

Also i finished Dying Light today. My feelings are still mixed. Forced combat sections were the worst. And taking some abilities in that last section was just sign of bad design. And second half of the game is better and that area was way better than first one level design wise. Overall it is ok game, 7/10 and to enjoy it even more in second half you need to grind and do every side mission in first half so you can get upgrades sooner.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Have you looked into the Pixel 4a? It was about 350 Euro, and I really like it. You also get pure Android and fairly long support from Google.
I actually use to have one of these for a few days and ended up returning it since that battery on it is not that great.

By the way isn't it Xiomi phones that have the "ai ad" so when ever you take a photo it always says, taken using such and such.

Also it's a bit late now but Valheim has sold over 6 million copies!!!!

Also come on Valve we need to get Portal 2 to top Terraria

Reactions: Swenhir

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
By the way isn't it Xiomi phones that have the "ai ad" so when ever you take a photo it always says, taken using such and such.
Good Lord !

edit -
Ok. That, too, can be disabled. At this point I will need half a day to disable all this shit if I buy one.
Just for the lulz, here are all the different parts to modify from a random site, each with several steps.

Remove ads by disabling the MSA process
More changes to stop seeing ads
To disable ads from Mi Video:
To disable ads from Mi Music:
To disable ads from File Manager:
To disable ads from Downloads:
To disable ads from Mi Browser:
To disable ads from Mi Security:
To disable ads from Themes:
Uninstalling bloatware
Disabling Promoted apps
Disabling all notifications of spammy apps

And now I must add :
Disabling watermark

I mean, wowza !

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
After I learned about the exciting modding scene for MechWarrior 5 on Nexus, it's now sitting among the top of my most anticipated games.

I'm simple like that.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
All this phone talk is great and all
I just want to add that air fryers are mankind's greatest inventions.
And everyone should own one.

I am patient~
I'm going to have to second the air-fryer comment. Making fries in this thing is a night and day difference to a normal oven. :blobdrool:

Reactions: lashman and Tizoc

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Crash 4 releasing later this week. Curious to see if its drm could be overcome.
This is one of the games which I am most looking forward to play, and yet I will wait for the following two conditions to be fulfilled:
  • the game should be playable on Geforce Now,
  • the game is heavily discounted or available in a Humble Choice (June?).
I boycott Rockstar and Activision because they refuse to support Geforce Now.

Got no loyalty to any phone company
Absolutely disgusting! :kappa:

Last edited:

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
This is one of the games which I am most looking forward to play, and yet I will wait for the following two conditions to be fulfilled:
  • the game should be playable on Geforce Now,
  • the game is heavily discounted or available in a Humble Choice (June?).
I boycott Rockstar and Activision because they refuse to support Geforce Now.

Absolutely disgusting! :kappa:
I haven't used Geforce Now so I am not familiar with it at all, but do games from other platforms like Battle.net ever work on it? I'm not sure what compatibility looks like.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It looks like that CDPR intends to release CP2077 patch this week so i wonder should i take a break until patch s out and then play CP2077 as next game or star smaller game today XD First world problems.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It looks like that CDPR intends to release CP2077 patch this week so i wonder should i take a break until patch s out and then play CP2077 as next game or star smaller game today XD First world problems.
The thing worrying me is that it seems like the patch may be rather small in scope - which is understandable given their 2 weeks delay and the overall small time they've had to work on it. Doesn't excuse the state of the game on any platform, but I have low expectations for this one.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The thing worrying me is that it seems like the patch may be rather small in scope - which is understandable given their 2 weeks delay and the overall small time they've had to work on it. Doesn't excuse the state of the game on any platform, but I have low expectations for this one.
It should be major patch, at least that is how they were describing it. They just mentioned few things fixed in that blog post. But it should be enough to play game without too much issues i think.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

It should be major patch, at least that is how they were describing it. They just mentioned few things fixed in that blog post. But it should be enough to play game without too much issues i think.
If the patch is limited to the following, then it won't be a significant change.

I haven't used Geforce Now so I am not familiar with it at all, but do games from other platforms like Battle.net ever work on it? I'm not sure what compatibility looks like.
Technically, everything could work on Geforce Now. However, Nvidia decided to respect publishers, so a game is only available after a publisher opted-in.

Sadly, Activision does not like Geforce Now and made sure not to appear there at all in February 2020 (when the system was opt-out):

As we take GeForce NOW to the next step in its evolution, we’ve worked with publishers to onboard a robust catalog of your PC games.

This means continually adding new games, and on occasion, having to remove games – similar to other digital service providers.

Per their request, please be advised Activision Blizzard games will be removed from the service. While unfortunate, we hope to work together with Activision Blizzard to reenable these games and more in the future.

In addition to the hundreds of games currently supported, we have over 1,500 games that developers have asked to be on-boarded to the service. Look for weekly updates as to new games we are adding.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've only triggered the Police in ~200 hours of CP2077 so that fix means nothing to me :D
I use a handling mod so i doubt the steering speed fix will impact me and i don't think i've got a vehicle i care about stuck. Oh, there was a Delamaine Cab sunk right into the floor which trapped me and i needed a reload but i saved before so no biggie.

What i would like is for them to fix some of the AI pathing for vehicles and peds. Cars smash into the barriers right outside your appartment for example which isn't a good look.

... and i know my Green Cross Code so i haven't been ran over for ohhh at least 30 minutes! :D
Just 'cos i know it doesn't mean i remember it, lol.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I don't care much about phones. My first smartphone was iPhone then I got bored by iOS so moved to Android and have had my Galaxy S8 since whenever that thing releases and I won't have much problem moving back to iPhone if I suddently want to, Im just not interested in iPhones because of the higher price point (Samsung Galaxy is in general cheaper here).

Got no loyalty to any phone company. I mainly just look for a cheap, but well built, well functional phone from a trusted company.
I was rocking a dumb phone well into the early 2010's. I got a cheap smartphone for only one reason: Reading online stories on my way to and from work. And I wouldn't want to miss it now, but the main point of the smartphone is the ability to read stories while not at home. It made my 1,5 to 3-hour commute that much more bearable. (Well I am working from home right now, but it still gets its use when out of the apartment or waiting for an appointment)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have four common use cases for a smartphone: web browsing, taking pictures, discord and calendar. Well, and unlocking stuff whenever some service insist on using your phone for that. For web browsing, I use Firefox, for taking pictures I use OpenCamera, discord is discord, and for the calendar I need something that integrates with google (not ideal, but it's the only google service I use). I use nova launcher as my home screen. So generally the default/manufacturer software doesn't really matter much to me.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Im not sure if Im having a good time or not with Wolfy Youngblood. Too many heavy bullet sponge enemies, mainly street levels and a upgrade system that requires grinding in a fps. Not sure what Machine Games thought with this game.
In my review I wrote "if you won't buy it for co-op, skip it entirely". As a co-op game it's decent fun, as a solo game it's frustrating and boring.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I hate talk to people on the phone, and I dread the possibility that someone will call me, but for everything else, its a godsend.

My advice is to buy the least or not at all bloated midrange device.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
This can only end well, lol.
See ya in a month... even more confused and frustrated and with no new phone :D
I also learned that Samsung launches new phones at the end of the month in a couple of days.
More choices ! :neutral-face:

Choices, choices everywhere.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I've mostly stuck with Sony mobile phones, even though they exited the mobile market in Australia back in 2019.

I rarely ever use the original OS that comes with these phones, though. It's either LineageOS or, if that's not available, then a decent custom ROM posted at XDA. Same thing with Kernels.

My Android Phone timeline:
Sony Xperia S
Sony Xperia Z
Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Z3
HTC 10 (I ended up with two of these. I bricked the first one while messing around with the Kernel.)
Sony Xperia XA2. - Been using this since 2018.

I also have a Moto G4 Play as a backup.

• Toucan
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Yeah like I wrote in the review I just posted in the review thread, my negativity surrounding the game is clearly from that I was playing it solo.
Yeah I stopped with Youngblood because I couldnt bear the repetitive nature of it anymore. A real shame because I liked The New Order and The Old Blood. The New Collossus already had significant flaws but was still a nice game. Youngblood was really bad in my opinion. I even posted a review on Steam for it, something I usually only do when I like a game a lot.

Reactions: Alexandros

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
In uplifting non-grumpy news, I've given Nioh 2 a try and... Holy crap. Holy crap. This has to be one of the best combat systems in this genre. This game fixes so many of the issues I've had with Souls games.

Of course, it gets way too hard right at the onset (screw you, Enenra) but I really love the way combat feels and flows. I haven't felt that since HLD.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
In uplifting non-grumpy news, I've given Nioh 2 a try and... Holy crap. Holy crap. This has to be one of the best combat systems in this genre. This game fixes so many of the issues I've had with Souls games.

Of course, it gets way too hard right at the onset (screw you, Enenra) but I really love the way combat feels and flows. I haven't felt that since HLD.
What weapons are you using? And yeah, Nioh 2 is a much better game compared to the first one. Bosses are well-designed (Yoshitsune being my favourite), and the burst counter mechanic adds so much depth to the game. I don't see myself every going back to Nioh 1 because of it. :p

If you haven't already figured out, you can use the burst counter to cancel out of nearly every action in the game. It works best with the Feral form.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
What weapons are you using? And yeah, Nioh 2 is a much better game compared to the first one. Bosses are well-designed (Yoshitsune being my favourite), and the burst counter mechanic adds so much depth to the game. I don't see myself every going back to Nioh 1 because of it. :p

If you haven't already figured out, you can use the burst counter to cancel out of nearly every action in the game. It works best with the Feral form.
A completely non-optimal setup, no doubt, but that I enjoy. Fists and sword. And thanks for the burst counter tip! Those are rather hard to nail down in some cases, your character seems to move forward and around the NPC while he doesn't make contact with your shadow. I think it's just that I'm hitting it too early, but it can be really tight.

I just got flux II though and I'm starting to get into the change of stances, it's quite hard mechanically but very gratifying when you just shut the opponent down.

I've actually never played Nioh 1 ^^".

Reactions: Valdien

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
A completely non-optimal setup, no doubt, but that I enjoy. Fists and sword. And thanks for the burst counter tip! Those are rather hard to nail down in some cases, your character seems to move forward and around the NPC while he doesn't make contact with your shadow. I think it's just that I'm hitting it too early, but it can be really tight.

I just got flux II though and I'm starting to get into the change of stances, it's quite hard mechanically but very gratifying when you just shut the opponent down.

I've actually never played Nioh 1 ^^".
I went with Fists too myself. Instantly fell in love with it on the tutorial island! If you ever need tips on Fists, feel free to ask! Although you'll find yourself sticking to one weapon soon enough. :p It can be a bit hard and not as optimal to jungle between two different weapon types on your first play through. Fists are best for KI damage, so that'll be your primary focus. Human enemies cannot keep up with it.

Another tip regarding burst counters - you can also use it to get out of the exhaustion/out of ki state. Either use a Yokai ability or just the burst counter itself. The second option works best with Feral.

Status
Not open for further replies.