Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Metro Exodus Leaves Steam For The Epic Games Store

Here we go again :D

EDIT: Valve's statement:

Deep Silver post about the situation:
Metro Exodus Epic Store Announcement
Epic Games and Deep Silver today announced a partnership that will see the digitally-distributed PC version of the highly anticipated Metro Exodus release on February 15th 2019 solely through the Epic Games store.

The ability to purchase / pre-order from Steam will soon be removed

However, any customer with an outstanding pre-order for Metro Exodus on PC through Steam will receive their game as expected.

For more information, please view our FAQ below :

I already pre-ordered Metro Exodus on Steam. What happens to my order?
Your pre-order on Steam will be honored, and you will be able to download and play Metro Exodus on release day (15th February 2019).

If I pre-ordered the Gold Edition on Steam, will I still get my future Expansion Pass on Steam?
Yes, your Expansion Pack content will become available for download via Steam, when released.

Will I still get my pre-order bonuses - the Digital Artbook and Official Soundtrack on Steam?
Yes, your pre-order bonuses will be honored and delivered by Steam.

I ordered the Standard Edition - will I be able to purchase the Expansion Pass in the future on Steam?
Yes, if you own the Standard Edition on Steam, you will be able to purchase the Expansion Pass or standalone DLC on Steam when it releases in the future.

Does the Epic Store have any exclusive or timed exclusive DLC?
No. All future DLC for Metro Exodus will be released simultaneously on all platforms.

Are there any differences in content between the version on the Epic Games store and the version on Steam?
No, they have the same pre-order bonuses and in-game content. All future title updates, patches, and free and premium DLC will be released simultaneously across both versions.

Will Metro Exodus ever return to Steam?
Yes - Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14th February 2020.

Last edited:

SpectrumWarrior

Mods'R'us
Nov 1, 2018
Steam said:
Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/fr/product/metro-exodus/home
preorder: 59.99€
Post automatically merged:

Ah! The page is unavailable now, they may change the price...

Reactions: lashman

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
This is madness, it makes no sense at all, after months of being available for preorder they decide to pull the plug and move to another store. Then, afraid of the backlash (which btw they deserve) they decide to honor the preorders already made on Steam.

This is damage control at its finest. Some years down the line we will read some postmortem articles on these developers who jumped to the "developers paradise" store.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Same stance for me as every other moneyhat: Hard pass. I won't legitimize these practices.

SpectrumWarrior

Mods'R'us
Nov 1, 2018
Steam should close the discussions about those games that are no longer on the store. It's already a bloodbath with people openly talking about pirating the game. :suicide-blob:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Beyond the obvious reactions, I’m surprised you can pull out of Steam so soon before release.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Fuck Epic and fuck every developer that exchanges excellent customer service and goodwill for Epic's money.

They are lucky the retail copies will still use Steam, that is the only reason I am not cancelling the aurora edition I have preordered.

But it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. If Deep Silver does it for their future games, they will not see money from me.

Dec 5, 2018
I'm more surprised that they moneyhatted a game that had been up for preorder for over 6 month(?) than the fact that the game when to the Epic store.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
Just saw the news. Sucks for people who have preordered before the announcement.

My only issue with it is how they managed to swap before the game releases. I don't mind having exclusivity on either side, but doing it while the preorder for the game has been there longer on Steam than on Epic is very bad on the publisher's part.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
Those who already pre-purchased Metro Exodus on Steam or any other digital retailer will still receive the game on that platform when it launches on February 15. But those who pre-order the game on the Epic Games Store will also receive a deal. The pricing starts at $49.99, as opposed to $59.99 on Steam. Later this year, Deep Silver plans to release Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light on the Epic Games Store as well.
At lease people who preordered prior to the announcement will get the game on the platform they ordered it from, just wondering how much they'll be able to keep that promise.

Vash63

Jan 26, 2019
Do we know for sure that retail copies will be Steam indefinitely? I just pre-ordered it on Steam to be safe but if so might refund it and find a cheaper copy somewhere else. I'm not supporting the Epic store though.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Honestly, it can't be understated how hypocritical it is to make the digital release epic store exclusive "because of the revenue share" while simulataniously still selling steamkeys in your retail copies that the publisher can generate for free.

Unless the info about retail copies containing steamkeys is actually wrong, they will literally get a bunch of free shit from valve effectively costing them (valve) money.

Deleted member 113

This one hurts me a bit.
Not because of this particular game, but because I have been a long time supporter of THQ Nordic, and it was a rare publisher whose customer support was awesome.

I own very close to all their PC titles, and I even crowdfunded some of their upcoming games (Aquanox Deep Descent, plus others that they will handle through Deep Silver, like Shenmue 3).

Needless to say, it's one more publisher whose titles I'll now ignore.

On a side note, it's becoming almost hilarious how, when I buy, or am about to buy certain games, an announcement is made regarding Epic Games Store exclusives.

I bought Far Cry: New Dawn on Steam (and wanted to pre-order The Division 2 as well, but the game store had no price), and 30 minutes or so later, The Division 2 was announced as an Epic Games Store exclusive.
Today, I kid you not, I got paid and spent most of the day thinking if I was going to pre-order the gold edition from Steam, or the regular edition from Humble (and after launch, buy the Season Pass), I decided to go for the Gold Edition, opened the Steam store page, and the forums, and I see this update.

Following this logic, I was going to pre-order Generation Zero next, and was thinking about pre-ordering MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Jump Force, and Devil May Cry 5, so if any of these turn out to be exclusive, you guys can blame me.:p

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Today, I kid you not, I got paid and spent most of the day thinking if I was going to pre-order the gold edition from Steam, or the regular edition from Humble (and after launch, buy the Season Pass), I decided to go for the Gold Edition, opened the Steam store page, and the forums, and I see this update.
Sorry I couldn't tell in the post but did you end up buying it on steam? as the game is only being removed later today (for a year), but if you buy it now it will be like normal steam.

Deleted member 113

Sorry I couldn't tell in the post but did you end up buying it on steam? as the game is only being removed later today (for a year), but if you buy it now it will be like normal steam.
Yes, I did buy it on Steam. :)
Thanks anyway for the heads-up.

I admit I'm a bit torn about it, since I'm not one to support publishers who pull crap like this, but since I was about to order the game when I saw the news, I ended up placing my order anyway, and I can always cancel it and refund it if I change my mind in the next few days.

Reactions: lashman and Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
  • Outward
  • Shenmue 3
  • The Bard's Tale IV: Barrow's Deep
  • Wasteland 2
  • Dead Island 2 (if it comes out...)
Bards Tale is out, so we don't have to worry about that.

Yes, I did buy it on Steam. :)
Thanks anyway for the heads-up.

I admit I'm a bit torn about it, since I'm not one to support publishers who pull crap like this, but since I was about to order the game when I saw the news, I ended up placing my order anyway, and I can always cancel it and refund it if I change my mind in the next few days.
I also ended up buying from steam now even though I was going to buy it next month rather. I would laugh if this one day on steam actually gave them more profit than a full year with Epic.

Sini

Jan 26, 2019
I really doubt they went there without Epic giving them guaranteed "revenue" that would cover all the potential lost sales like they allegedly did with some previous games.

Reactions: lashman and Prodigy

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Honestly, it can't be understated how hypocritical it is to make the digital release epic store exclusive "because of the revenue share" while simulataniously still selling steamkeys in your retail copies that the publisher can generate for free.

Unless the info about retail copies containing steamkeys is actually wrong, they will literally get a bunch of free shit from valve effectively costing them (valve) money.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Valve's response to this was some sort of tighter Termes of Service, kinda forbidding devs/pubs from something like this and probably catch some legit stuff in the cross-fire. Competition, yay.

Deleted member 113

I also ended up buying from steam now even though I was going to buy it next month rather. I would laugh if this one day on steam actually gave them more profit than a full year with Epic.
Probably. ;)

But, like Far Cry: New Dawn, I'll be thinking if I'm going to keep my pre-order, or refund it.
I have so many unplayed games on Steam (I have entire series of games where I didn't even play a single entry :giggle: ) and a shortage of time, so I can certainly live without them.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It'll probably get another run on sales when it comes out of Early Access/Testing/ Epic Exclusivity.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Is this the first time Steam has left a public notice on a page? I guess past situations have been for games announced for Steam, while this was actively taking preorders?

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
that is my exact thought after seeing news:

bold move by epic, and by deep sliver
pun intended

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Hmm.... naaaah, I actually use Steam's features. I'll just treat it like all other games that do this.