News Metro Exodus Leaves Steam For The Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It is almost as if those pesky community related features of Steam are useful after all. But that can't be because Valve is evviiiillll :devilish:
doubt it's very useful to Deep Silver right now - looking at the comments :p

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Operencia: The Stolen Sun coming to Xbox One - Gematsu
Another game switching to Epic Store only. I really liked how it looked, a Legend of Grimrock style first person party dungeon crawler except with a turn based battle system which is more to my liking over real time systems in tile-based movement games. I made an info thread for it on another forum and everything to draw some attention to it when they had the first cool media to show which hyped me with their premise. Oh well...

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
It is almost as if those pesky community related features of Steam are useful after all. But that can't be because Valve is evviiiillll :devilish:
Oh the irony, after all the criticism they still need Steam to advertise the games' features. This is something else :p

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
There's something to love about Sergey and Rami Ismail complaining about valves notice on Metro Exodus' storepage, when said notice is the only thing preventing people from actively being mislead by the publisher, because the storepage still states a release date of 15th february 2019.

Absolute twats.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Really hoping that Shenmue 3 is not on the deal with Epic, that would be sad to wait a year.

Deleted member 113

Really hoping that Shenmue 3 is not on the deal with Epic, that would be sad to wait a year.
Considering it's being published by Deep Silver, sadly you can pretty much count on it.

I consider Shenmue to be one of my favourite game series, I have a decent collection of Shenmue material (demos, vhs promotional tapes, ...), and I backed the game at a few hundred $.
But, if they announce this exclusivity, and try to give me an Epic Store game key instead of what was promised, a Steam key, you can be sure I'll be seeking a refund.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
It's last minute news that even Dauntless just migrated from an independent launcher to the Epic Games Store.

Just an heads-up in case someone somewhere was actually still playing it even after Monster Hunter World released.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
This is some scummy ass shit right here. Why can't they fund ports of games that would otherwise never gets ports? At first I was just like "Eh, another launcher, but a shitty one." Now thanks to their top tier bullshit business practices I want nothing to do with them. When I say top tier bullshit, I'm talking Ivan Ooze top tier bullshit. They're the one place I don't want to buy from now thanks to this.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Nathan Grayson strikes again:
It is, unfortunately, not a surprising response given the audience Steam has cultivated over the years by implicitly and explicitly advocating an irresponsible hands-off approach, allowing a pervasive player-vs-developer atmosphere to develop, and failing to consistently safeguard against review bombs and other forms of toxicity. What’s surprising here is that Valve chose to make a public statement that would, almost without a doubt, rile these people up. The company either chose to play dirty by kicking the hornet’s nest and then chucking it out the door alongside Metro Exodus, or it’s woefully naive about its audience’s behavioral tendencies.
Obviously it goes without saying that no one should resort to harassment or threats, but beyond those specific things, even if the bolded were true, who cares? So they got review bombed and people are saying nasty things about the decision on /r/pcgaming? Big whup.

Sergey has been playing dirty, spreading FUD for months, if not years at this point. Why does Epic get to play nasty, but Steam gets held to a different standard?

Lordy.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I really don't see any problem with Valve's statement, it seems 100% factual with the "we feel it's unfair" bit on top which I fail to see how it's been labeled as controversial. Even if every PC gamer was as bad as they want to claim (then why's any of these companies in this business again, are they gonna give birth to new PC gamers who aren't toxic like every Steam user is - lol - or just show they don't care to interact with users beyond monetary transactions?) the statement itself is absolutely fine and doesn't at all try to stir shit up. Claiming anything like that just seems like a sad attempt to deflect criticism, avoid discussing the real issue (or situation if they find no issue with it) and down the line claim anyone who feels different is some kind of petty worthless human being or something.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Obviously it goes without saying that no one should resort to harassment or threats, but beyond those specific things, even if the bolded were true, who cares? So they got review bombed and people are saying nasty things about the decision on /r/pcgaming? Big whup.

Sergey has been playing dirty, spreading FUD for months, if not years at this point. Why does Epic get to play nasty, but Steam gets held to a different standard?

Lordy.
god forbid regular people (customers) have a voice that can't just be easily ignored (and far far away from the "buy" button) ... we can't have that!

Then there's also the fact that Sergey is making bank due to Steamspy, over $10,000 a month via patreon. It might be petty but I'd cut the mother fucker off and watch that patreon money dry up, the cheeky bastard.
eh ... as cathartic as it might be - it would also screw with all the other services that use steam's API for stuff ... like steamdb or steamcharts

I really don't see any problem with Valve's statement, even if every PC gamer was as bad as they want to claim (then why's any of these companies in this business instead of go elsewhere?) the statement is absolutely fine, it's just sad attempts to deflect criticism, avoid discussing the real issue and down the line claim anyone who doesn't like what's been happening is some kind of petty worthless human being not worth hearing or something.
agreed ... i mean - we're basically arguing about the meaning (and intention behind) ONE WORD here .... pure madness

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess gaming media would be very happy if people had no source of information outside purchase/specs details anywhere but on their sites/reviews. Then again we don't need reviews for Epic Store games anyway because they're all going to be grade A stuff you can blindly purchase at will, am I right?

Ah well, we're going in circles, nobody of those who (want to) matter have shown any intention to properly discuss the situation rather than demonize Steam (this will never stop being hilarious to me) and nay sayers, then they wonder why some people feel the need to do things like review bomb (which I maintain don't affect shit in the grand scheme of things, it's just a way for a group of people to get noticed, the overall ratings remain largely unaffected as it's a minority doing that and it's not even news worthy and not aimed at the media which exploit it but at the publishers/companies involved directly.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Then again we don't need reviews for Epic Store games anyway because they're all going to be grade A stuff you can blindly purchase at will, am I right?
well they'll definitely not let "the rabble" in ... that's for sure

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That's a fair point, I'd still love to see Sergeys patreon amount go down though even if they didn't cut the API off :p
yeah ... what he's doing might not technically be illegal (it's not) ... but it's definitely scummy as all hell

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Nathan Grayson strikes again:

Lordy.
Holy shit, the entire article reads like a weird mixture between infomercial for Epic and smearing campaign for Steam, but with that prentious hipster vibe on top.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
All this is actually making me legit considering deleting my Epic Account, only reason I stick around is the 30€ that they gave me and Subnautica, which I really want to play.

If Shenmue 3 goes Epic Store, then I will delete it, with anger!

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
All this is actually making me legit considering deleting my Epic Account, only reason I stick around is the 30€ that they gave me and Subnautica, which I really want to play.

If Shenmue 3 goes Epic Store, then I will delete it, with anger!
I would totally delete my Epic account, but Save the World is tooooo damn good.

OSatan

OFather OSun
It's last minute news that even Dauntless just migrated from an independent launcher to the Epic Games Store.

Just an heads-up in case someone somewhere was actually still playing it even after Monster Hunter World released.
That game is so dead even before this but good on the dev for getting paid on their way out.
Funny that they were super super anti steam, I wonder if they had an offer way before the announcement.

Then there's also the fact that Sergey is making bank due to Steamspy, over $10,000 a month via patreon. It might be petty but I'd cut the mother fucker off and watch that patreon money dry up, the cheeky bastard.
Remember that half the bad blood he has is that they cut his direct money the first time and then they blocked the way he got his numbers.
Steamspy now is useles but people still see it as the same so he lucked out.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
This is quite precious: 4AGames developer named "scynet" has responded :: Metro Exodus General Discussions

According to this google-translated comment from Russian, one of the 4A devs (yeah, the studio working at Metro Exodus, just to state the obvious) commented that if sales won't be satisfying it will probably be the end of Metro on PC.

I'm waiting to grab my pitchfork since something may have been lost in translation, but if confirmed I'd say this qualifies as a disgusting attempt to guilt trip and blackmail the userbase at the same time.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Such a pathetic attempt to get people to back down. Surely it won't backfire at all!
well it is just one dev ... not like the entire studio thinks this way ... pretty sure most of them are bummed about that exclusivity deal (one they had no hand in, no less)

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
well it is just one dev ... not like the entire studio thinks this way ... pretty sure most of them are bummed about that exclusivity deal (one they had no hand in, no less)
It is only one dev, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them feel like this now. They’re entrenched, embattled with former fans and probably feeling bitter and attacked (which they are, and not for no reason).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It is only one dev, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them feel like this now. They’re entrenched, embattled with former fans and probably feeling bitter and attacked (which they are, and not for no reason).
eh, i don't know ... i'd like to think most of them aren't too happy about the exclusivity and would want everyone to enjoy their game

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
eh, i don't know ... i'd like to think most of them aren't too happy about the exclusivity and would want everyone to enjoy their game
I would hope so too.

But I’ve been watching other kerfluffles like the one going on with Magic: Arena right now, and it’s pretty wild how quickly people can be detached from their former communities once large sums of money get involved.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Holy Moly, you lot over in the Reset PC threads are way more patient and resilient than i am. I had a look in a couple of threads and yeah, nothing has changed and there's still posters beiing reasonable and measured in their responses. Hats off to you all, i've no idea where you get the energy from.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm not going to hold the entire studio accountable for what 1 random dev said but that's a really shitty thing to do to your audience. You cannot blame customers for refusing to be yanked around and follow a corporation's every whim. There are consequences to the deal deep silver made and this is possibly one of them so whatever happens make sure to blame the right people.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Just as a quick update, I crossed a russian guy on reddit who claimed that there's no misunderstanding in the translation and that if anything the "outspoken dev" came off even a bit more openly antagonizing in the original language. He apparently went into an argument with several other users after and doubled down with "The day you'll do something good yourselves you'll understand".

Then again, I understand his frustration.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
What's happening with Magic: Arena right now?
WotC announced their new $10 million pro-league circuit was going to have a kick-off exhibition event with a $1 million prize pool 64-player tournament in March.

Half of the players are made up of pro players who will be in the Pro League, while the other 32 spots are divided to different parties. 8 spots go to those at the top of the Mythic ladder in Feb., while the other 24 are made up of Twitch streamers and influencers. Which in turn pissed off the actual pros who didn't make the initial 32, because they feel like they're getting pushed out for streamers. E.g.,

On top of this, there's some major controversy over the tournament not being a normal BO3, and that one of the people invited to the tournament seemed to be a horrendous human being and was invited with basically no background check other than some cursory look for demographic checklist.

Anyways, the very rough comparison I was drawing was how the Pro League players have basically been bought out by WotC, as they're officially salaried at around $75,000 a year (which is higher than the average OWL salary for an example). So these pros are not going to criticize the tournament or WotC anymore, and one notable pro even went onto social media to complain about how the community was making him "feel like a piece of crap" for being excited about the tournament and that he was being treated as an "outsider" because he took money from WotC.

Which is like, okay, sure no one should be harassing you, just like no one should be harassing the Metro devs. But if you're getting money from a corporate source to be a part of their questionable corporate initiative, yes, you're going to be treated as an outsider to the grassroots scene you were once privy to.

And in the case of Metro like I said, given that the devs are now being treated warily and kind of as outsiders to the PC scene they were once hailed in, I wouldn't be surprised to see more 4A people circling the wagons.

It's a messy situation, and the worst thing is, it didn't need to happen.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
I'm surprised people jumped at Valve for the "unfair" comment. I understand the perspective of wanting Valve to remain neutral in all of this, but you have to look at the entire situation. The game was advertised for Steam and was already available for pre-order. Now it's been moneyhatted to a platform with significantly less features. Why wouldn't people be pissed?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Looks like Epic added Australian pricing for Metro Exodus and, of course, increased the price to USD$64.99.
How much was it on Steam? Because if it was lower than this, you can ask them to consider lowering the price to what it was on Steam.