News Metro Exodus Leaves Steam For The Epic Games Store

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
PcGaMEr
Fraser Brown: Stanning Steam
A couple of big upcoming releases are going to be Epic Games Store exclusives, I’m sure you’ve heard, and some people have lost their damn minds. For a while now, there’s been an undercurrent of resentment about Valve’s digital distribution monopoly, but all it’s taken is for one competitor to start pinching games—in no way stopping anyone from playing them—and now Valve has all these angry BFFs trying to protect it from another company. It’s embarrassing. Humans need to stop protecting billion-dollar companies.

Now there aren’t just calls to boycott Epic, but the tangentially-related SteamSpy, too, and that’s in addition to all the impotent review bombing runs targeting games that aren’t even exclusive. If anything, all this does is make it clear that more competition is necessary, if only to pry these people away from a shop they’ve become inexplicably loyal to. It’s for their own good.
This week's highs and lows in PC gaming: Page 2 | PC Gamer

Tangentially related my foot.

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
That's really embarrassing. But pc gamer wrote before that these moneyhats are necessary to compete against Steam. I need to stop reading their BS about this matter.
It’s the most annoying coming from them, because a site named as they are should be providing a better voice for PC issues. But instead there are basically no notable advocates out there.

Maybe Jim will be able to move on from his shovelware whining and do that now, but we’ll have to see.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver’s or 4A Games’ view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Epic Games, they love developers so much they are making deals that don't involve them at all.
yeah ... for someone that's supposed to be saving devs - they seem to involve them very little in making exclusivity decisions

first Annapurna (a publisher) and all their games ... now Deep Silver ...

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Deep Silver I'm not surprised at tbh, their management has never come across as particularly smart despite enjoying quite a few games they've published.

For example this is the same publisher who disagreed with Techlands idea for Dead Island 2 so they fell out and went their own ways. This game was Dying Light, a game that lead to millions of copies sold and let Techland become their own boss and self publisher. Meanwhile Deep Silver has passed over development of Dead Island 2 to at least another developer once.

As well as this another recent misstep for them is Agents Of Mayhem. Now I'll be honest, I really like AoM and think it's criminally underrated as well as enjoying Volitions games in general. However it's obvious this isn't what the market wanted and it bombed leading to layoffs. Now admittedly they are hardly the only publisher that's had this happen but it's just another example of Deep Silvers management.....not being the brightest.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I hate what they did, but it’s actually a good move by Deep Silver. It takes all pressure off the devs and reassigns the blame to where it belongs: their publisher.

Hate the deal, but I respect them taking responsibility.
true ... true

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Yeah that deep silver statement is well written to be honest. They are still moronic pricks for taking the moneyhats, but at least they somewhat appear to realize it now, and confirm that PC release is always going to be a thing. Hopefully next time they will actually put their customers first.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
“The cool photo mode is also somewhat undermined, given that neither the game nor the Epic launcher has a screenshot button. Whoops.”

Wot I Think: Metro Exodus

Unless the guy doing the review has no idea about taking screenshots by default on a computer somehow...
Well of course the trusty Print Screen button -> copy to paint method should still work, I guess, or using a third party program like ShareX that directly saves an image when pressing the Print Screen button.
But having a dedicated Screenshot button provided by the client that automatically archives images by game is way more convenient. Even more so when you want to take screenshots with the controller.
On Steam? Guide Button + Right Shoulder Button.
Everywhere else? Either add it to Steam as a non-Steam game, or I guess set the Steam Input desktop config to regular gamepad controls, and I don't know if Guide + Shoulder works there as well out of the box or if you need to map the Print Screen keyboard button to somewhere (and have ShareX or something similar installed so that things aren't only copied to the clipboard and forgotten). Or I don't know if you can do the same thing with some other 3rd party program.

In any case, it's an extra hassle.