News Metroid Dread (Switch) - releasing on Oct 8, 2021

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Join intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran in her first new 2D Metroid™ story in 19 years

Samus’ story continues after the events of the Metroid™ Fusion game when she descends upon planet ZDR to investigate a mysterious transmission sent to the Galactic Federation. The remote planet has become overrun by vicious alien lifeforms and chilling mechanical menaces. Samus is more agile and capable than ever, but can she overcome the inhuman threat stalking the depths of ZDR?

Face off against unrelenting E.M.M.I. robots

Once DNA-extracting research machines, the imposing E.M.M.I. are now hunting Samus down. Tensions are high as you evade these E.M.M.I. to avoid a cruel death while finding a way to take them down. Find out what turned these robotic wonders into the scourge of ZDR and escape with your life.

Feel Samus’ power grow as you gain maneuvers and abilities

Acquire new and familiar abilities as you traverse the many environments of this dangerous world. Parkour over obstacles, slide through tight spaces, counter enemies, and battle your way through the planet. Return to areas and use your new abilities to find upgrades, alternate paths, and a way forward. Explore the sprawling map, evade and destroy E.M.M.I. robots, and overcome the dread plaguing ZDR.

Announcement Trailer

Development History

Gameplay Demo

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This is probably the new announcement from the past few weeks that I'm most interested in.

The gameplay looked great so far, the graphics look a bit dated in the cutscenes but that's no big deal.

Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
This was such a great surprise. When that title showed, I was instantly transported into years of game magazine rumors.

Reactions: xinek

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Agreed, I was totally surprised, and it will make the wait for a new Metroid Prime much easier. I also love that it's coming out this year. Didn't realize how much I've been wanting another good 2d Metroid.

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Anyone feel it kinda looks like shit? Visually it reminds me of Shadow Complex which is more than a decade old at this point. It feels like they put way more effort into making Mario and Zelda look stellar, where as Metroid generally looks like dog shit. Metroid Prime 3 was ugly. Hunters was ugly. etc. This also kinda feels like they rushed development on a small 2d game to compensate for the screwed up development and delay of Prime 4.

a clean bbq

Apr 12, 2021
I hope the new switch is still happening this year cause this is the game that gets me to buy one.

edit: man I don't know anymore. $350

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Anyone feel it kinda looks like shit? Visually it reminds me of Shadow Complex which is more than a decade old at this point. It feels like they put way more effort into making Mario and Zelda look stellar, where as Metroid generally looks like dog shit. Metroid Prime 3 was ugly. Hunters was ugly. etc. This also kinda feels like they rushed development on a small 2d game to compensate for the screwed up development and delay of Prime 4.
I can't bold on my phone but the last sentence is the truth.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I doubt that. This must have been in development for quite a while and has nothing to do with Prime 4's early dev troubles. It's a sequel to Fusion and also builds on things that were teased in MercurySteam's previous game.

Reactions: xinek