Q&A Mixed/negative early access games that has successfully rebound to gain appreciation

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So I've been looking at this Top Early Access Graduates list on Steam:
Top Early Access Graduates of 2018

And I noticed that lots of popular games still have mixed, even negative reviews (how the heck Bless got Platinum?). Some games are already well-loved since the start of early access, such as Rust, Dead Cells, Subnautica, and many other games. But most of the time, the launching of an early access game is a very tricky endeavor. Once an early access game get mixed/mostly negative reviews on Steam, it's usually pretty hard to bounce back to positive. It requires hard work from the devs to listen to feedback and fix the game, while at the same time adding more content into the game to reach the full release goal. Lots of early access games stay mixed forever, even when they're officially launched.

Anyway, one example that I could think of is Conan Exile. It was a mixed bag at launch due to typical issues of an early access game. But nowadays, the game receive mostly positive impressions from the community.

Also, while not technically an early access game, No Man's Sky has also rebounded to become a well-received game nowadays.

Are there more examples to this out there?

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The problem with Steam reviews is that as soon as the developers alter the slightest gameplay mechanic or implement a new feature that's not 100% functioning, users will review bomb the game.

The Forest and Subnautica are two prime examples of developers actually listening to feedback and implementing ideas across the board. Both were laggy, technical messes during early access, and now they are fully released. I have seen more polish in both titles than quite a few AAA games.

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Outside steam 2 examples spring to mind. Both No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves seem to have had significant turn-arounds.

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Did you mean "outside early access" for No Man's Sky?

It's a good example though, and the Steam reviews show the trend well (50% overall, 74% recent).
Nah I just forgot that it wasn't exclusive to Playstation hardware. Both are good examples :)