|OT| Monthly Videogame Quiz

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
14, not bad. I have a pretty big hole in my gaming history when it comes to DOS stuff so considering that I'm actually surprised I did as well as I did. Should have known Death Rally though, I immediately recognized the interface shown but just couldn't connect it to anything. 😆

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
14, not bad. I have a pretty big hole in my gaming history when it comes to DOS stuff so considering that I'm actually surprised I did as well as I did. Should have known Death Rally though, I immediately recognized the interface shown but just couldn't connect it to anything. 😆
congrats! :)

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster

Red Alert! Red Alert! All values are off the scale, containment breach is imminent... save yourself, tHe mOnStErS aRe cOmInG!!! o_O

We expect a breakout of four creatures like mankind has never seen before - pieced together from parts, like the legendary creature of Dr. Frankenstein, but not from corpses - no, built from the video game monsters that YOU picked last round! D:

Can you identify all body parts of this monstrous horde?? Because only then, ONLY THEN, can these beasts be driven back!

There is also a bonus question, as the source of the title image (the lab with these ominous glowing glass cylinders) is taken from a recent video game. But which one?

Deadline is Tuesday the 30th of June. This post is just the intro... the monsters will be revealed one after the other in the coming days. :)

This quiz has been inspired by an idea from the user a gentle Breeze from the Powerplay forum, his good work failed two years ago due to a lack of participants. Here's a link (click on "frameset laden" at the bottom for the full forum). I have his permission to try this format again. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Parsnip and lashman
OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
Monster B (2 out of 4)

ALARM! We detected a second breakout, prepare for the encounter! The fog fades away, and it is... it is... a frightening pixelated mass of tentacles, giant eyes and lots of teeth! Run and save yourself! o_O

Once again, identify as many body parts as you can - be it the game or the character.

Join via June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster - only YOU can stop this madness! :O

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
Monster C (3 out of 4)

ALARM! Another glass tube has shattered - what are we facing this time??? It is... it is... oh it doesn't look so bad? No, wait! Stay away, beyond its cute face there is horror beyond belief! Don't look! o_O

No, actually, do look. You still got to identify those body parts. ;) Name either game or the character.

Join via June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster - don't let these monsters escape!

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
Monster D (4 out of 4)

Aaaand BAM, the last creature has broken free! And it is... it is... some sort of lizard grandma with a purple skirt and bird feet?! Is this a joke?? Watch it though, that's a massive sword!

With this post, this months quiz has been fully revealed. :) Many of you have complained about the difficulty - and it's true, this is the toughest riddle I made in years, harder than the soundFX quizzes and at least as complex as the fake screenshots from a few years ago. In short, I do not expect anyone to achieve full score.

Do your best - and end of next week there'll be some clues as well. :)

Join in via June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster, name either the game or the monster.

These are quite tough.
You are doing well though - on 3rd place of so far 27 players. :)

Last edited:
OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
June Quiz - Clues #1

The monsters are roaming around! Can you stop them before they leave the lab?? Several body parts have not been identified, and many more have answer rates under 10%... there's lots of room for growth here, the average score is at just six points. :)

So far there are 40 people participating, and three from this community.

Here are some clues on genres and release dates to help you out:

Monster A:
Here we have 3x Survival Horror and one each for Open World RPG, Action Adventure, Soulslike and Racing games. It is the most modern creature, made from games from 2005 to 2020.

Monster B:
This Beast consists of two Metroidvanias, two classic scrolling sci-fi Shoot'em'ups and an action/strategy mix in space. Oh, there's an FPS as well! Most of the part of this creature have been rotated by 90 degrees.

Monster C:
Here you are looking at three classic RPGs plus a MMORPG, two FPS and a simulation. One of the Monsters doesn't even want to kill you, he just want's your money. ;)

Monster D:
This creature is made of three more RPGs (all on Nintendo consoles), a point&click adventure, a SNES platformer and an Arcade Shooter. Four of the parts are from Boss enemies.

These are the release years of all games:

And about the bonus question: that game was released in 2020. :)

Deadline is Tuesday the 30th of June, please participate via June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
June Quiz - Clues #2

Can it be done? Are you strong enough to push those mad abominations back to the lab, where their hunger for destruction can no longer harm anyone? You only have four days left to help! It is lonely at the top for now, even with less than fifteen points you can still be in the Top 10.

So far there are 52 people playing... that's less than half of last round. From this community three people are in, I hope this weekend will see some more of you joining the ranks!

Here are the last clues, so don't hesitate any longer:

- Many people have guessed "Banjo Kazooie", but he and his games are not part of this round at all.

- The same goes for Half Life, StarCraft and Terminator.

- One body part is from a series which is known for its recycling of enemy graphics. Here you don't have to punish yourself to find the exact part, the name of the series is enough. The same goes for other franchises where the monster appears in several entries.

- Usually the rule is "1 monster = 1 part". However, EACH monster has an exception, where it is "1 monster = 2 parts". For example Creature B has its tail and eye stalks come from the same game.

So, there's no more clues - now join in!

Deadline is Tuesday the 30th June, participate via June Quiz - Frankensteins Monster

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

June Quiz - Answers & Score

You did it, all monster parts have been identified and the beasts driven back. Congratulations! :)

A total of 82 people played this month, even though it was one of the hardest riddles of all. And exactly ONE USER really impressed me, as he actually managed to get EVERYTHING RIGHT. Wow!

Who was that? :D You'll see at the end of the post, but first we'll look at the correct answers game by game. There's a lot of text and images, so get ready to scroll.

MONSTER A (7x completely solved)

1) Resident Evil 3
The antagonist of the 1999 game "Resident Evil 3: Nemesis" is the head of the first monster, but taken from the 2020 remake instead.
Favourite of: Elgin_McQueen, Walti
Solved by: 89%

2) Silent Hill Homecoming
Are there any video game monsters more iconic than Pyramid Head? For "Monster A" his bloody skirt was used.
Favourite of: hellermarie, Hamlet Machine, Gerhard S.
Solved by: 77%

3) Shadow of the Colossus
Chest and left arm - those were taken from the colossus Gaius.
Favourite of: fl0rian
Solved by: 70%

4) Dead Space
The Necromorphs, horribly disfigured formerly human monsters from this space horror series. Their arms are mutated into giant scythes, which you can see in the quiz picture.
Favourite of: Biscuit
Solved by: 62%

5) Fallout 3
The Super Mutants are very ugly Fallout enemies, and the "Supermutant Behemoth" is the biggest of them all. His right arm was used in this quiz.
Favourite of: Carnivore, Klingsor-
Solved by: 34%

6) Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
This is the mask, beard and feet of "Megamix", a mix of the Crash Bandicoot characters Dr. Neo Cortex, N. Gin, Tiny Tiger and Dingodile. The image used was taken from the last Crash Team Racing game. Those who instead of "Megamix or Crash Team Racing" just entered "Dr.Cortex or Crash Bandicoot"... sorry, no points this time. So mean!
Favourite of: Scorplian
Solved by: 29%

7) Dark Souls
To spot a Mimic chest in Dark Souls, one has to look at the shape of the iron chain on its right side... and it's this chain that has been added to complete Monster A. Sneaky! ;)
Favourite of: Splunge, Rudi Ratlos
Solved by: 15%

Other suggestions:
Alien Breed, Alien Isolation, Aliens, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Bio Freaks, Bioshock, Bloodborne Bloody Roar, Bowser, Breath of the Wild, Brutal: Paws of Fury, Crash Bandicoot, Dead by Daylight, Demon's Soul, Doom, Doom 3, Dr. Neo Cortex, Eternal Darkness, Fable II, Gears of War, Ice age, Iron Maiden, Jak & Daxter, Layers of Fear, Mario Kart 7, Mega Man, My Singing Monsters, Ninja Turtles, Nioh 2, Orc, Outlast, Predator, Primal rage, Quake, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of Mordor, Skylanders, Skyrim, Soma, Sonic, Starcraft, Terminator, The evil within, The Surge 2, The Witcher, Unreal, World of Warcraft

Quiz image:

Answers:

- - - - -

MONSTER B (10x completely solved)

1) Doom
A flying sphere with an infectious smile - that's the Cacodemon from Doom. He's the central body of Monster B.
Favourite of: The_BACH
Solved by: 78%

2) R-Type
The first boss of this legendary Shmup is Dobkeratops, his tail and eye stalks were used here.
Favourite of: Dark Kariya
Solved by: 57%

3) Castlevania Symphony of the Night
The Medusa Heads from Castlevania were recycled that often, I didn't care what series entry you entered.
Favourite of: QFNS
Solved by: 52%

4) Metroid Fusion
This is "SA-X", going after you in its especially monstrous form. Taken from a GBA entry of the Metroid series. You can see its lower body in the finished Monster B.
Favourite of: fedprod
Solved by: 44%

5) Star Control
Most went with the better known 2nd entry, but the first part also had these graphics of the Ur-Quan Aliens.
Favourite of: Frump
Solved by: 24%

6) Xenon 2 Megablast
My compliment to all who recognised the head of the spider boss from this old vertical scroller.
Favourite of: Pascal Parvex
Solved by: 18%

Other suggestions:
Alien Soldier, Apydia, Axiom Verge, Contra, Contra 4, Darius, Demon‘s Crest, Entomorph, Gradius, Grandia, Gynoug, Horror Story, Invaders, It Came From the Desert, Master Of Orion, Nemesis, Phelios, Psychosis, Quake, Space Rangers, Splatterhouse, Super Probotector, Terraria, ToeJam & Earl, Turrican

Quiz image:

Answers:

- - - - -

MONSTER C (2x completely solved)

1) Dragon Quest V
This is a "Slime", THE standard enemy of the series. It was used as the head of the monster.
Favourite of: Darkcloud, Mod-Team, Dogorilla, PUH
Solved by: 70%

2) Final Fantasy VIII
Welcome to "Tonberry", a frequent character in Final Fantasy. You see its left arm with the lantern.
Favourite of: Qwark
Solved by: 44%

3) Animal Crossing New Leaf
Tom Nook shows up and wants your money - here we have his eyes and legs.
Favourite of: MrBlack, Sonic2d
Solved by: 33%

4) Quake
The bloody body of Shub-Niggurath from the shooter legend Quake.
Favourite of: MOGli
Solved by: 27%

5) Earthbound
Trapped in the lamp is the bizarre final boss of Earthbound, Gigyas.
Favourite of: J.R.
Solved by: 23%

6) World of Warcraft
The "hair" of our creature are just the back stingers of two Murlocs.
Favourite of: Kulfy
Solved by: 18%

7) Halo 2
The gross Flood Gravemind serves as the right Arm - the most difficult title of this round!
Favourite of: malus
Solved by: 5%

Other suggestions:
Alien, Alien vs predator, Banjo Kazooie, Call of Cthulhu, Conarium, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Dead Space, Doom, Dusk, Far Cry, God of War: Chimera, Gregory horror show, Guild Wars 2, Half Life, Half Life 2, Layers of Fear, Left 4 Dead, Mega Man, Metroid prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Monster Hunter, Neocron 2, Nioh, Persona 4, Rayman raving rabbids, Resident Evil, Serious Sam, Super Smash Bros ultimate , System Shock 2, Terranigma, The Darkness, Toro Inoue, Zelda Majoras Mask, Zelda Ocarina of Time

Quiz image:

Answers:

- - - - -

MONSTER D (9x completely solved)

1) Day of the Tentacle
The "skirt" of our monster is nothing else but the purple tentacle from the 2nd Maniac Mansion.
Favourite of: Ruvon, wiede
Solved by: 83%

2) Space Harrier
The head of a flying dragon from this arcade classic.
Favourite of: Antiriad2097
Solved by: 48%

3) Terranigma
The Mecha-body including the wings come from Dark Gaia (aka Ragnara), the final boss of Terranigma.
Favourite of: Mitschel
Solved by: 34%

4) Lufia 2
The boss "Gades" donates his sword and shin protectors to complete this monster.
Favourite of: TheSnesFreak

5) Pokemon Black
...or white. ;) The fur of this little pokemon serves as hair.
Favourite of: AuraPaladinne
Solved by: 23%

6) Super Mario World 2
The feet and the small hair bit were taken from "Raphael", a boss in Yoshis Island. Tough!
Favourite of: Thrawn
Solved by: 17%

Other suggestions:
Alien Storm, Angry Birds, Animaniacs, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Clock Tower, Daffy Duck, Doraemon 4, Dragon Quest, Dragonflight, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 6, Ghoul Patrol, Golden Sun, Jax and daxter, King of Demons, Legend of Zelda, Megaman, Micke Mous, Dark Souls, Romancing SaGa 3, Secret of evermore, Secret of Mana, Soublade, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Turrican, Sweet Home, The hobbit

Quiz image:

Answers:

- - - - -

Bonus question: What game served as source material for the intro and background pictures of this round? Well, that was the Final Fantasy VII remake!

See for yourself: picture

Other suggestions:
Alien, Bioshock, Cyberpunk 2077, Evil Knevils Lab, Half Life Alyx, IDHAFC, Metal Slug, Metroid Prime, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 Royal, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil 3 Remake, StarCraft, Super Metroid, Underwater, X-Com Chimera Squad

- - - - -

HIGH SCORE

01 - 27 points - rta - Earthpainting
02 - 26 points - rta - residentgrigo
03 - 26 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
04 - 25 points - rpg - J.R.
05 - 25 points - ntl - lifer
06 - 24 points - rta - Illusionary
07 - 24 points - spz - The_BACH
08 - 23 points - 4py - Scorplian
09 - 21 points - eab - Biscuit
10 - 21 points - pcx - Splunge

11 - 20 points - spz - Strider
12 - 18 points - mmx - Klunky
13 - 18 points - m!g - Kong
14 - 18 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
15 - 17 points - hcg - teroknor
16 - 17 points - hcg - excelsior
17 - 17 points - rpg - Calastellio
18 - 17 points - mmx - TheSnesFreak
19 - 16 points - gav - Wizdom
20 - 16 points - eab - Nobby_UK
21 - 15 points - mnc - Mod-Team
22 - 15 points - eab - darkwave
23 - 14 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
24 - 14 points - mmx - fedprod
25 - 14 points - pop - Don Como
26 - 14 points - eab - Havie
27 - 14 points - ntl - JoakimZ
28 - 13 points - mtc - MegaApple
29 - 12 points - lgs - Darkcloud
30 - 12 points - m!g - Thrawn
31 - 12 points - mtc - mssq
32 - 12 points - 4py - DancingDan
33 - 12 points - hcg - windfisch
34 - 12 points - mmx - Knuckles
35 - 11 points - pop - A Gentle Breeze
36 - 11 points - rta - Blufunk
37 - 11 points - eab - gimbal
38 - 10 points - m!g - Red XIII
39 - 10 points - 4py - Crimson Idol
40 - 10 points - mtc - Parsnip
41 - 10 points - mmx - Shades
42 - 10 points - m!g - zweiblooom
43 - 10 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
44 - 09 points - ntl - Dogorilla
45 - 09 points - dgo - Fl0rian
46 - 09 points - mnc - elementalMaster
47 - 09 points - rta - FluffyQuack
48 - 09 points - gpo - Echelon
49 - 09 points - hcg - Snake
50 - 09 points - m!g - SonicFanNerd
51 - 09 points - m!g - geohound
52 - 08 points - rtc - Elgin_mcqueen
53 - 08 points - m!g - Rudi Ratlos
54 - 08 points - gms - hellifanboy
55 - 08 points - mnc - Mitschel
56 - 08 points - gpo - rave
57 - 07 points - can - Bouyi
58 - 07 points - gms - kopyright
59 - 07 points - rta - malus
60 - 07 points - rta - Embrodak
61 - 07 points - pop - Carnivore
62 - 06 points - gpo - Klingsor-
63 - 06 points - vgz - Walti
64 - 06 points - gms - hellermarie
65 - 06 points - gpo - Maryokutai
66 - 05 points - can - Kulfy
67 - 05 points - rta - jett
68 - 05 points - rpg - Cosmo
69 - 05 points - pcx - Pascal Parvex
70 - 05 points - rta - Zolbrod
71 - 05 points - gms - KleinTee
72 - 04 points - gms - RC2225
73 - 04 points - mnc - Kaneda4Life
74 - 04 points - gms - DorianGray
75 - 03 points - pop - Sascha
76 - 03 points - sh2 - godzella
77 - 03 points - eab - mailman
78 - 02 points - dsc - SBOmega
79 - 02 points - pop - Daiyama
80 - 02 points - ntl - BabyYoshi12
81 - 02 points - gpo - j1m
82 - 01 points - gav - Yoshi

4py = 4Players Forum
can = Canard PC
dgo = Dialogoption Forum
eab = English Amiga Board
gav = Gaming Village
gpo = Gamepro Forum
gms = Gamestar Forum
hcg = hardcore gaming 101
lgs = last game standing
m!g = M!Games Forum
mtc = Metacouncil Forum
mmx = Multimediaxis Forum
ntl = NintendoLife Forum
mnc = old maniac Forum
dsc = unknown Discord
pcx = PCX Forum
pop = PowerPlay Forum
rta = ResetEra Forum
rtc = Retro Canteen Forum
rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum
sh2 = Shock² Forum
spz = Spazio PC
vgz = Videogameszone Forum

So then, here's a winners ceremony: Congratulations to Earthpainting from ResetEra, I did not expect anyone to get full score... I truly am impressed!

Also respect to residentgrigo, AuraPaladinne, J.R., Lifer, Illusionary, The_BACH, Scorplian, Biscuit and Splunge - together you are the Top 10. :)

Here is the local high score:

1 - 13 points - MegaApple
2 - 12 points - mssq
3 - 10 points - Parsnip

Congrats to MegaApple for the local lead. :)

Thanks to all for participating and see you next time!

• Love

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Well damn, forgot to reply and that'll ruin my end of year totals. Looking through the answers if I had submitted I would have gotten 12 correct. Definitely wasn't going to be my top-scoring quiz of the year. Oh well, just need to continue on.

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

July Quiz - Retro Pixel 2020

Every year this classic makes a return - characters from mostly older games, zoomed in until you can count every single pixel. Can you tell the game from a screen fragment with just a 20x20 resolution?

Similar to the "DOS classics", most games were released in the 1990s, with few exceptions into earlier or later decades. This round has a much bigger focus on consoles though. :)

You can enter either the name of the game or the name of the character.

Deadline is Friday the 31st of July, participate via July Quiz - Retro Pixel

Here is the quiz, good luck! :)

direct link

Last edited:
OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
July Quiz - Clues #1

A great weekend to you all, I hope you and your family have gotten around Covid-19 so far and can still find something to enjoy this summer... like the retro pixel quiz round maybe? ^_^

So far 24 people have joined, two of which from here. The average score is single-digit, so it's again not an easy round. However, every game has been guessed correctly at least once! But even the single user who managed to reach the 20-point-barrier is still missing several answers to get a full score.

So then, time for some clues!

1) In the first three rows, we got three well known 1on1 fighting games.
2) Game number 2 is the newest title of this round, having been released just two years ago. The oldest game on the other hand is 41 years (!) old.
3) Three games from the first two rows have appeared in episodes of the "AngryVideoGameNerd".
4) A total of six games have also been released on the Commodore Amiga (not always in the exact same version), one of which even as an exclusive.

Deadline is Friday the 31st July, participate via July Quiz - Retro Pixel

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
July Quiz - Clues #2

Hey, I almost forgot - the quiz ends next friday, and I haven't posted any clues this weekend! Well then, let's get to it. :) So far there are 43 players, and two from this community. The overall average score is still below ten points, and no user has managed to get a full score.

So, here the last clues - you have a handful of days left:

1) Game 7 was released as an exclusive title on the Sega Genesis.
2) Title 11 belongs to a series with three games.
3) Number 18 shows a GBA license game to a cartoon show.
4) On picture 15 you can see a robot that you have to beat up, from a multiplatform game.

Good luck! :)

Deadline is Friday the 31st July, participate via July Quiz - Retro Pixel

Here is the quiz again: link

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Well, as per usual I lost track of time and just submitted it. Understandable if it's not counted but gave it a shot anyhow. I think I got around 15ish. Could have maybe gotten one or two more if I spent more time on it but I was being quick since I was already late.

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

July Quiz - Answers & Score

So, a very neutral 90s Pixel round. Did you like that, or do you prefer your gaming riddles to be less retro? In July the amount of participants has increased again, I am glad the Monster quiz didn't scare you away for long. ;)

In total there were 88 players, and three from this community.

You can find the High Score at the end of this post, but first let's list the correct game titles as text, followed by the big image with all correct answers.

1) Super Metroid
The SNES entry of the Metroid series is having its debut in the Minimal/Retro pixel quizzes.
solved by: 83%
other suggestions: -

2) Celeste
solved by: 74%
other suggestions: Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon

3) Sonic Advance
The easiest game of this round, people just know this head. :)
solved by: 95%

4) Mortal Kombat
solved by: 78%
other suggestions: Final Fantasy, Streetfighter, Dune, Mushroom Man

5) X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse
solved by: 73%
other suggestions: Marvel vs Capcom, Fantastic Four, Mega Man, Robocop

6) Secret of Evermore
solved by: 53%
other suggestions: Golden Sun, Illusion of Time, Secret of Mana, Son Goku

7) Pulseman
solved by: 42%
other suggestions: Gunstar Heroes, Mega Man, Mega Man Zero, Sonic Mania, Sonic, Pokemon, Mighty the Armadillo, Pokemon

8.) Berenstain Bears
solved by: 49%

9) Kirbys Adventure
solved by: 74%
other suggestions: Ice Climbers, Ducktales, Donkey Kong, Parodius, diddy kong

10) the incredible Crash Test Dummies
solved by: 58%

11) Killer Instinct
solved by: 24%
other suggestions: Body Blows, Body Blows Galactic, Carmageddon, Street fighter, Shadow of the Beast, Clayfighter, Fatal Fury, Pitfighter, Streets of Rage, Super Star Wars

12) Journey to Silius
solved by: 23%
other suggestions: Space Quest, Star Wars, Paramax, Syndicate, Zillion

13) Illusion of Time
solved by: 31%
other suggestions: Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun

14) Wolfchild
solved by: 33%
other suggestions: Altered Beast, Shadow of the Beast, Brad Fang, Ninja Turtles, Killer Instinct

15) Rise of the Robots
solved by: 40%
other suggestions: Firebrand, Ridley, One must fall

16) B.O.B.
solved by: 35%
other suggestions: Flood, ROB, Gobliins

17) Pitfall Mayan Adventure
solved by: 14%
other suggestions: Treasure Planet, Shen Mue, Project X, Strider

18.) Super Duper Sumos
solved by: 27%
other suggestions: Yie Ar Kung Fu, Jackie Chan Adventures, Jimmy Neutron, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls

19) Space Channel 5
solved by: 20%
other suggestions: Adventure Time, Bit.Trip Beat, Bit.Trip Runner, Commander Video, Commandgirl Video, Day of the Tentacle, Kirby, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Risk of Rain

20) Boogerman
The gentlemen with the long chin was way more popular than I had expected.
solved by: 69%

21) Micro Machines 2
other suggestions: 7x Full Throttle, Crazy Cars, Frank, Leisure Suit Larry, Rick Dangerous

22) Kiki Kakai
Also known as "Pocky & Rocky".
other suggestions: Bubble Bobble, Cladun Returns, Ferum, Pokemon

23) Sheriff
other suggestions: Duel, Gun Fight, Jet Set Willy, Outlaw, Undertale, Hidden in Plain Sight, Super Smash Bros, Custers Revenge

24) Double Dragon Advance
other suggestions: Fei Long, Final Fight, Scooby Doo, Shenmue, Street Fighter, Street Fighter 2, Streets of Rage, The Kung Fu, Wolfenstein

25) Timekeepers
This is the intro of "Timekeepers", a kind of "top down Lemmings" exclusively for the Commodore Amiga.
solved by: 5%
other suggestions: Banjo-Kazooie, Chuck Rock, Lemmings 2: The Tribes, Lomax, Metal Slug, Populous, The Humans

quiz image:

answer image:

direct link

HIGH SCORE

01 - 24 points - rpg - J.R.
02 - 23 points - ntl - lifer
03 - 23 points - spz - The_BACH
04 - 22 points - rta - Lafazar
05 - 22 points - hcg - Excelsior
06 - 21 points - spz - Strider
07 - 21 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
08 - 20 points - rta - Cow Mengde
09 - 20 points - pop - A Gentle Breeze
10 - 19 points - rta - EarthPainting

11 - 19 points - can - Bouyi
12 - 19 points - rta - residentgrigo
13 - 19 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
14 - 19 points - rpg - Calastellio
15 - 18 points - hcg - windfisch
16 - 18 points - ntl - JoakimZ
17 - 17 points - eab - Havie
18 - 17 points - eab - darkwave
19 - 17 points - m!g - Kong
20 - 17 points - mmx - fedprod
21 - 16 points - mmx - TheSnesFreak
22 - 16 points - rta - Blufunk
23 - 16 points - mmx - Knuckles
24 - 16 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
25 - 15 points - eab - Belgarath
26 - 15 points - mnc - sonic2d
27 - 15 points - eab - Nobby_UK
28 - 14 points - rta - Alonso
29 - 13 points - rta - Zolbrod
30 - 13 points - hcg - Snake
31 - 13 points - 4py - Crimson Idol[
32 - 13 points - can - Strife
33 - 12 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
34 - 12 points - eab - Biscuit
35 - 12 points - m!g - SonicFanNerd
36 - 12 points - mtc - Parsnip
37 - 11 points - m!g - Red XIII
38 - 11 points - m!g - Thrawn
39 - 11 points - ukn - Logdrab
40 - 11 points - mmx - Klunky
41 - 11 points - rta - PsionBolt
42 - 11 points - pop - Don Como
43 - 11 points - rta - Optional Objectives
44 - 10 points - hcg - mainpatr
45 - 10 points - hcg - teroknor
46 - 10 points - gav - Wizdom
47 - 10 points - can - Dark Kariya
48 - 10 points - mnc - Yeboah17
49 - 10 points - rta - malus
50 - 09 points - dgo - fl0rian
51 - 09 points - pcx - Splunge
52 - 09 points - lgs - Darkcloud
53 - 09 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
54 - 08 points - rta - Illusionary
55 - 08 points - mnc - elementalMaster
56 - 08 points - can - Franky Mikey
57 - 08 points - ntl - Dogorilla
58 - 08 points - gms - hellermarie
59 - 08 points - 4py - DancingDan
60 - 08 points - mtc - MegaApple
61 - 07 points - pcx - Pascal Parvex
62 - 07 points - rtc - ElginMcQueen
63 - 07 points - mmx - Shades
64 - 07 points - m!g - geohound
65 - 07 points - gms - DorianGray
66 - 07 points - hcg - cacao
67 - 07 points - mnc - HomiSite
68 - 06 points - gms - kopyright
69 - 06 points - mnc - Mitschel
70 - 06 points - rta - Embrodak
71 - 06 points - can - Kulfy
72 - 06 points - gav - Yoshi
73 - 05 points - pop - Sascha
74 - 05 points - 4py - Akabei
75 - 05 points - gpo - rave
76 - 05 points - gpo - Maryokutai
77 - 05 points - rpg - D4rkD
78 - 04 points - mmx - Loxagon
79 - 04 points - ntl - Krull
80 - 04 points - 4py - Scorplian
81 - 03 points - pop - PUH
82 - 03 points - gav - Sun
83 - 03 points - gms - hellifanboy
84 - 03 points - sh2 - godzella
85 - 02 points - ntl - BabyYoshi12
86 - 02 points - vgz - Walti
87 - 01 points - eab - Mailman
88 - 01 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09

4py = 4Players forum
can = Canard PC
dgo = Dialogoption forum
gav = Gaming Village forum
gpo = Gamepro forum
gms = Gamestar forum
lgs = last game standing
m!g = M!Games forum
mtc = Metacouncil forum
mmx = Multimediaxis forum
mnc = old maniac forum
ntl = NintendoLife forum
ukn = unknown
pcx = PCX forum
pop = PowerPlay forum
rta = ResetEra forum
rtc = Retro Canteen forum
rpg = RPG Maker MV forum
sh2 = Shock² forum
spz = Spazio PC
vgz = Videogameszone forum

Alright, a winners ceremony: Congratulations to J.R., lifer, The_BACH, Lafazar and Excelsior - you are the Top 5 and have won this round!

Also Kudos to the italian Strider, Gerhard S, Cow Mengde, a gentle breeze and EarthPainting - together you form the Top 10. :)

Local High Score:

1 - 16 points - Wibblewozzer
2 - 12 points - Parsnip
3 - 08 points - MegaApple

Congrats to Wibblewozzer for the local lead. :)

Thanks to all for playing and see you next time!

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, I really rushed this since I was late in entering. Pocky and Rocky I even thought but I was ready to submit by then so I didn't bother checking to see if I was right. A few others I recognized but didn't take the time to dig around to figure them out were Secrets of Evermore, Journey to Silius, and possibly could have gotten Wolfchild.

I liked the difficulty of this one as it seemed to have a good range.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Looking at the answers I probably could have gotten 3 more with Killer Instinct, Journey to Silius and Micro Machines, if I had really scoured the internet. But some of these I've never even heard of, so it's hard to even start there.

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

August Quiz - Merchants of Gaming

"Here are my wares, would you like to buy something?" At some time in the 1980s, the "Item Shop" began to spread throughout computer games, having begun with dungeon crawlers like Rogue or Moria, and showing up in other genres as well - wherever one could spend hard earned ingame currency on new equipment inbetween levels.

That shall be our theme for this round - the many faces of merchants, store clerks and salespeople that sold us their stuff over many decades of gaming history. Do you remember them, or did the rest of the game turn out to be more memorable than the item shop? ;)

Deadline is Monday the 31st of August, participate via August Quiz - Merchants of Gaming

Here is the quiz, have fun!

Direct link

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Do we need to answer with the games or the name of the merchant? Or both?

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
August Quiz - Clues #1

So, how can I help you today? Fresh potions? New Characters? Shiny weapon systems? So far 35 people are part of this shopping tour, and four from here.

I want to give you a few clues, as especially in the second half of this round things get more difficult, and not every title has been found out yet:

1) The games of the fourth row are all from the same genre.
2) The friendly gentleman in picture 13 is trading with sailing ships.
3) The merchant in a suit (game 11) is selling you a car.
4) That fat sheep is selling you items to help you climb better.

Deadline is Monday the 31st August, participate via August Quiz - Merchants of Gaming

Here is the quiz again, good luck! :)
direct link

OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com
August Quiz - Clues #2

"Dear customers, thank you for your visit today. Please take note that this store will close in one week!" So then... time to take another guess or two, with the final set of clues. :)
The item shop is about half full with 45 people, and four of them are from this forum.

So far all scores are between 2 and 23 points - here are the last clues:

1) Number 1 shows a well-known 3rd person action game by Capcom.
2) Game 20 was released twice, once in 2016 and once in 2020 (with a new name).
3) On picture 17 we see the ugly Spectrum version of a multiplatform Shmup from the late 80s.
4) Title 9 is a Playstation & PC game with lots of wild robots.

Deadline is Monday the 31st August, participate via August Quiz - Merchants of Gaming

Here is the quiz again, good luck! :)
direct link

Last edited:
OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

August Quiz - Answers & Score

Thank you for visiting our shop! Almost a hundred people joined in (nice!), but now the store is closed and this round over. :)
From "nothing right" to "full score" every point combination can be found. Two people managed to find out every single title - one right on the first try, the other by updating in the last moment. Who are these two? You will have to scroll down!

The results are visible at the end of this post, we start with the names of the games as text, then the answer image and finally the High Score Table.

1) Resident Evil 4
answer rate: 88%
other suggestions: Devil May Cry

2) Majoras Mask 3D
Some more polygons than on the N64, this picture is from the remake for the Nintendo 3DS.
answer rate: 90%

3) Secret of Monkey Island
answer rate: 91%

4) Mass Effect 3
answer rate: 79%

5) Catherine
answer rate: 74%
other suggestions: Ico, Zelda Twilight Princess

6) Spyro 2
answer rate: 55%
other suggestions: Banjo Kazooie, Grim Fandango, Pandemonium

7) NieR:Automata
answer rate: 76%
other suggestions: Fallout

8.) Spelunky HD
answer rate: 78%
other suggestions: Braid, Terraria, Wild 9

9) Horizon Zero Dawn
answer rate: 71%
other suggestions: Armored Core, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Binary Domain, Detroit Become Human, the surge

10) Splatoon 2
answer rate: 47%
other suggestions: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Mini Ninja, Minions, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Pikmin, Psychonauts

11) Rock n Roll Racing
answer rate: 45%
other suggestions: Battletoads, die total verrückte Rally

12) God of War
answer rate: 69%
other suggestions: Assassins Creed Odyssee

13) Pirates!
answer rate: 46%
other suggestions: Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic, Patrizier, port royale, 1869, Uncharted Waters

14) Destiny 2
answer rate: 55%
other suggestions: Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Warframe

15) Wonderboy in Monsterland
answer rate: 36%

16) X-Out
answer rate: 26%

17) Forgotten Worlds
answer rate: 31%
other suggestions: Dragon Quest, gunstar, Nemesis, Salamander, Trantor

18.) Xenon 2
This game already showed up in the Frankenstein Quiz two months ago... but it was only then that I discovered that great 80s sales alien!
answer rate: 45%
other suggestions: R-Type, Star Control 2, Zarlor Mercenary

19) Lords of Thunder
answer rate: 30%
other suggestions: Exile Wicked Phenomenon, Phantasy Star, Ultima, Ys

20) 1993 Shenandoah
In the year 1993 a swedish team developed a horizontal scrolling Shoot'em'up for the Amiga, which didn't get a release. However, in 2016 the game got rediscovered and published as "1993 Space Machine" for PC, followed by a Switch release in 2020 as "1993 Shenandoah". Congrats to the SEVEN players who managed to solve this one!
answer rate: 7%
other suggestions: Chaos Engine, Crush, Dan Malone, Doom, Fallout, Shadowrun, Speedball, Jamestown

21) Sea of Thieves
answer rate: 41%
other suggestions: Civilization, Dishonored, Fable, Final Fantasy,Fortnite, Outer Worlds

22) Ishar 2
answer rate: 23%
other suggestions: Das Schwarze Auge, Eric the Unready, Link: The Faces of Evil

23) Merchant
answer rate: 38%
other suggestions: Betrayal at Krondor, discworld, Legend of Kyrandia

24) Crawl
answer rate: 11%
other suggestions: Enter the Gungeon, King's Quest 5, Medieval Shopkeeper Simulator, Moonlighter, Hyper Light Drifter

25) Kid Icarus
answer rate: 17%
other suggestions: Kaiser, Lords of Midnight, The Legend Of Zelda, Wizardry

Here is the quiz image again, followed by the answer image:

Answers:

direct link

HIGH SCORE

01 - 25 points - hcg - Excelsior
01 - 25 points - rpg - J.R.
03 - 24 points - ntl - lifer
04 - 24 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
05 - 24 points - spz - Strider
06 - 24 points - spz - The_BACH
07 - 23 points - dgo - fl0rian
08 - 23 points - rta - Earthpainting
09 - 23 points - m!g - Kong
10 - 22 points - mmx - Knuckles

11 - 22 points - rta - residentgrigo
12 - 22 points - rta - Illusionary
13 - 22 points - gav - Wizdom
14 - 22 points - pcx - Splunge
15 - 22 points - mnc - Dreamteam
16 - 22 points - rpg - Calastellio
17 - 22 points - rta - Lafazar
18 - 21 points - pop - A Gentle Breeze
19 - 21 points - eab - NOBBY_UK
20 - 21 points - spz - Neural
21 - 20 points - m!g - Thrawn
22 - 20 points - eab - darkwave
23 - 19 points - eab - Havie
24 - 19 points - eab - Biscuit
25 - 19 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
26 - 18 points - mmx - fedprod
27 - 17 points - can - Eiffel-AD
28 - 17 points - gav - Vecrix
29 - 16 points - gsg - partykiller
30 - 15 points - mmx - TheSnesFreak
31 - 15 points - rta - aLaxLuthor
32 - 14 points - hcg - windfisch
33 - 14 points - mnc - elementalMaster
34 - 14 points - gms - kopyright
35 - 14 points - rta - jett
36 - 14 points - mtc - MegaApple
37 - 14 points - m!g - geohound
38 - 13 points - eab - Belgarath
39 - 13 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
40 - 13 points - mnc - Lukulus
41 - 13 points - mtc - Parsnip
42 - 13 points - gms - hellermarie
43 - 12 points - ntl - JoakimZ
44 - 12 points - pop - Don Como
45 - 12 points - gpo - Maryokutai
46 - 12 points - 4py - Crimson Idol
47 - 12 points - 4py - Scorplian
48 - 12 points - mtc - mssq
49 - 12 points - rta - FaffEra
50 - 11 points - rpg - Yokan
51 - 11 points - 4py - Khorneblume
52 - 11 points - rta - Zolbrod
53 - 11 points - mnc - Mangamaniac71
54 - 11 points - gpo - Echelon
55 - 11 points - can - Kulfy
56 - 11 points - 4py - DancingDan
57 - 10 points - m!g - zweiblooom
58 - 10 points - can - Bouyi
59 - 10 points - mmx - LittleChoco
60 - 10 points - m!g - Rudi Ratlos
61 - 10 points - rta - Blufunk
62 - 10 points - lgs - Frosch
63 - 10 points - ntl - Blooper987
64 - 10 points - gpo - rave
65 - 10 points - mtc - QFNS
66 - 10 points - m!g - Red XIII
67 - 10 points - rta - Emergency & I
68 - 09 points - rpg - D4rkD
69 - 09 points - mmx - Shades
70 - 09 points - mnc - Sonic2d
71 - 09 points - rta - PsionBolt
72 - 09 points - can - Franky Mikey
73 - 09 points - m!g - SonicFanNerd
74 - 08 points - pop - Sascha
75 - 08 points - mnc - HomiSite
76 - 08 points - mnc - Mitschel
77 - 08 points - gpo - Klingsor-
78 - 07 points - hcg - Snake
79 - 07 points - ntl - Dogorilla
80 - 07 points - hcg - teroknor
81 - 07 points - sh2 - retro74
82 - 07 points - lgs - Darkcloud
83 - 07 points - vgz - Walti
84 - 07 points - rta - Embrodak
85 - 07 points - 4py - schockbock
86 - 07 points - gms - hellifanboy
87 - 06 points - rtc - Elgin_mcqueen
88 - 05 points - gav - Yoshi
89 - 04 points - pcx - Pascal Parvex
90 - 04 points - sh2 - godzella
91 - 04 points - rta - malus
92 - 03 points - eab - mailman
93 - 03 points - 4py - Akabei
94 - 03 points - mmx - Loxagon
95 - 03 points - rta - T
96 - 02 points - pop - PUH
97 - 01 points - pop - Daiyama
98 - 00 points - ntl - BabyYoshi12

4py = 4Players Forum
can = Canard PC
dgo = dialogoption
gpo = Gamepro Forum
gsg = Gamers Global
gms = Gamestar Forum
guf = Gaming Universe Forum
lgs = last game standing
m!g = M!Games Forum
mtc = Metacouncil Forum
mmx = Multimediaxis Forum
mnc = altes maniac Forum
ntl = NintendoLife Forum
pcx = PCX Forum
pop = PowerPlay Forum
rta = ResetEra Forum
rtc = Retro Canteen Forum
rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum
sh2 = Shock² Forum
spz = Spazio PC
vgz = Videogameszone Forum

Here's a winners ceremony! Congratulations to Excelsior, J.R., lifer, Gerhard S and the italian Strider - you are the Top 5 and won this round!

Also Kudos to The_BACH, fl0rian, Earthpainting, Kong and Knuckles - together you form the Top 10. :)

local high score:

1 - 19 points - Wibblewozzer
2 - 14 points - MegaApple
3 - 13 points - Parsnip
4 - 12 points - mssq
5 - 10 points - QFNS

Congrats to Wibblewozzer for the local lead. :)

Thank you all for joining in and see you next time!

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I started this quiz only knowing 12 or 13 at a glance. I essentially knew 1-12 (except for 11) and then also immediately knew 24 and 25. I thought that was in error since usually it goes easier to harder but I thought both of those last two were complete gimmes. Looking at the percentages I guess that wasn't the case though I'm a bit surprised.

The hints helped a fair bit but in a good way because I still had to do a bunch of research, as well as a couple just being good guesses I was able to verify with a Google. Like Destiny 2 was absolutely nothing to me but for some reason it just came to me late in the month and I realized it looked like it could fit in that game. Same sort of thing as Sea of Thieves that just snapped to my mind suddenly. The fourth row had the pair of hints to indicate it was shoot em up games and I spent probably 30+ minutes trying to figure them out and accidentally stumbled on the first two in the row but couldn't figure out the rest.

Really good challenge on this one and a fun theme. I also liked the idea shown in the bonus question so that could be really fun. I'm always up for more points the quicker things are answered, especially since I always wait for the last day and could use the incentive to actually take part earlier.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
local high score:

1 - 19 points - Wibblewozzer
2 - 14 points - MegaApple
3 - 13 points - Parsnip
4 - 12 points - mssq
5 - 10 points - QFNS
Thank you, this was a fantastic quiz. I admit, I submitted it early and the hints would've helped me a lot.
Will do better this time.

Reactions: Mr_Horizon
OP
Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

your host for tonight
Apr 1, 2019
Berlin
www.retrogamequiz.com

September Quiz - the self-solving experiment

Do you suffer from tough gaming quizzes? Does it drag you down that this stuff is always so damn difficult and you can't recognize anything? Do you feel irritated that even though you're a real gaming nerd the answers to these riddles just elude you somehow and you can name the first row at best??

Don't give up, this round will reinvigorate your confidence! :)

You see, the September Quiz happens to be self-solving: It starts out extra tough, with extremely zoomed-in screen fragments... but EVERY THREE DAYS it becomes easier and will show more of its games. This will happen all month long (ten times in total), until on the last day the entire screenshot will be visible.

If you are clairvoyant and can already spot the game in the first days, you will be rewarded beyond your dreams - these are the points you will earn depending on the zoom level:

zoom level 01 - 3.0 points
zoom level 02 - 2.0 points
zoom level 03 - 1.5 points
zoom level 04 - 1.2 points
zoom level 05 - 1.0 points
zoom level 06 - 0.8 points
zoom level 07 - 0.6 points
zoom level 08 - 0.5 points
zoom level 09 - 0.4 points
zoom level 10 - 0.3 points

Deadline is Wednesday the 30th September, participate via September Quiz - an experiment that solves itself

Here is the first quiz image, zoom level 1 out of 10, have fun!

direct link