Developers: NetherRealm Studios, QLOC

Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 84% recommended

Critic Reviews

Heavy - Elton Jones - 9.8 / 10
Quote not yet available

CGMagazine - Cole Watson - 9.5 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 isn't just a fantastic entry into this long running franchise, it's a stunning example of how much value and content developers can pack into the fighting game genre

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 9.5 / 10
Stuffed with masses of modes and a veritable avalanche of stuff to do, Mortal Kombat 11 is the best the series has ever looked, sounded and most importantly, played. Oh and it doesn't hurt either that it just so happens to have one of the best story modes ever made, too.

Jogazera - Luccas Augusto - Portuguese - 9.5 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is one of the most complete games available within the fighting genre. The story mode brings exactly what we expected from NetherRealm as well as several online and offline modes, suiting all players.

Attack of the Fanboy - Dean James - 4.5 / 5 stars
The Mortal Kombat series is truly experiencing a renaissance with the most consistent output since the original trilogy in recent years. Mortal Kombat 11 now continues that trend by giving fans of the series a nostalgia fueled story that somehow manages to mesh perfectly with the present day story presented across the last few games

Critical Hit - Darryn Bonthuys - 9 / 10
A bone-breaking blast of bloody fun, Mortal Kombat 11 is a celebration of ultra-violence that pushes the franchise forward to gloriously gory new heights.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is both joyful and frustrating. It's far and away a superior game to Mortal Kombat X where it truly matters - the roster is strong and varied, the visuals are phenomenal, and the flow of battle is as sharp as ever. If you play with friends, solid online offerings will deliver in droves. If you're thinking of playing solo, although Story mode is some of Netherrealm's best, the grind to unlock everything beyond that is sobering. It's this grind that means Mortal Kombat 11 stands besides Mortal Kombat X, and not above it.

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 9 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is the best game in the 27-year-old series thanks to deep, methodical new mechanics and fun story.

Twinfinite - Ed McGlone - 4.5 / 5
Whether you just plan on stopping by for the story and messing around with friends locally every once in a while, or plan on going hardcore into online play, you’ll have plenty to do, and you’ll have plenty of fun doing it until whenever the next Mortal Kombat game comes out some time in the next generation.

Zoomg - Afshin Piroozi - Persian - 9 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is not only one of the best in this franchise, but also a great evolution for Netherrealm Studios fighting games. great blend of fan favorite features with some changes like addition of Fatal Flows or new attack and defend gauges make this game a very fun and competitive title to play.

Softpedia - Cosmin Vasile - 9 / 10
I have no doubt that Mortal Kombat 11 is the best game in the series thanks to the incredibly deep combat mechanics, customization options and addictive addictive extra activities. Not the mention that game brings new meanings to the word "bloody."

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is a high-budget fighting game with great graphics, a huge amount of content, cool combat system and an interesting story mode, in which fanservice is successfully combined with a an intrigue. This game will definitely not disappoint you.

DualShockers - Michael Ruiz - 9 / 10
Get over here!

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 89 / 100
A new proof of Netherrealm's expertise. It surely shows some lack of new ideas, but everything that's included in the game is really well done.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Furkan Güler - Turkish - 89 / 100
I think players who like fighting games will be satisfied with the game. Although you don't have much to do with fighting games, you can have fun with the story of Mortal Kombat 11.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 8.8 / 10
A Mortal Kombat with great customization possibilities and lot of single player content, even sometimes grinding could be avoided. We loved the more tactical gameplay that leaves to the player much more control over the simple combo connection.

Everyeye.it - Tommaso Montagnoli - Italian - 8.8 / 10
The eleventh chapter of the saga signed by Netherrealm and published by Warner Bros. Games is a concentration of new mechanics and classic elements, masterfully united under the sign of an above-average production

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 88 / 100
You need only look at Mortal Kombat 11 to see that it's a cut above many fighting games currently on the market. Fleshing out what NetherRealm has previously brought to the table, Mortal Kombat 11 not only draws upon the series' legacy in a way that will delight fans, but will also appeal to fighting aficionados of all kinds.

IGN Spain - Javi Andrés - Spanish - 8.8 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 doesn't change many things. The series of Ed Boon and NetherRealm is still alive. This new game is deep and it is full of content. The Fatal Blow is a good idea, and visually he continues to be brutal and spectacular, although it is running in Unreal Engine 3. The new characters and modes are great.

The Games Machine - Gian Filippo Saba - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is probably the best chapter in the entire saga. Visuals, soundtrack and gameplay have reached an astonishing level of depth. Unfortunately, being forced to be always online and a progression system that seems a bit too random prevent this fighting game to become the masterpiece it deserves to be.

Glitched Africa - Wessel Minnie - 8.5 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 takes everything we love from the franchise and turns it up to 11 even with a disjointed story and very slow progression.

Cerealkillerz - Patrice Naderi - German - 8.5 / 10
Though the Netherrealm Studios delivered with Mortal Kombat XI a polished title with a great production and a overall well made storymode, the excessive grind to unlock new costumes might scare off some players over time and the adaption of existing bugs from its predecessors crosses our lack of understanding, but fans of the series and friends of gory fighting games still get served well and extensive.

Areajugones - Juanma García - Spanish - 8.5 / 10
With this installment of the saga, we will enjoy visceral, fluid combats, a story in campaign mode that has no waste and everyone should play, but, above all, we will enjoy an unlimited fun with its game modes .

Saudi Gamer - عصام الشهوان - Arabic - 4 / 5
A fun game that is presented well and is rich in content. A solid foundation marred by a slog to obtain items in the single player mode.

Gameblog - Jonathan Bushle - French - 8 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is a very beautiful and enjoyable fighting game, and has a lot to give. Fans of the franchise and newcomers will a find something very technical and deep, with a lovable campaign plenty of game modes and even some quite intersting tutorials. A serious contender in its genre for 2019.

TrustedReviews - Jade King - 4 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11 is yet another great entry in NetherRealm's fighting series. The story mode is all too brief, but delivers a frantic action blockbuster that unashamedly hurls fan service all over the place, and is all the better for it.

GameSpot - Edmond Tran - 8 / 10
Smart refinements to a deep and exciting fighting system, along with an entertaining story mode, make MK11 great despite some missteps with its persistent content.

GamesRadar+ - Aron Garst - 4 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11's story mode, along with its gameplay, is the most intense and gripping narrative in a fighter that I've played in years.

GamingBolt - Rashid Sayed - 8 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 features an addictive core gameplay loop and a ton of interesting gameplay modes, but some weird grinding mechanics with the gear system and Towers of Time may put off some players.

Gaming Nexus - Nathan Carter - 8 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 is a nice send off to the 25+ year story of the series and it's NetherRealms best fighting game to date. It's just unfortunate that almost all of the single player content had to be filled with ridiculous amounts of grinding, RNG loot drops and unfair, unbalanced challenges.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8 / 10
All in all, Mortal Kombat 11 is a solid addition to the franchise. It has arguably the weakest story mode in the new MK trilogy, but even that mode has one of the better fighting game story modes on the market. The gameplay is solid, satisfying and fun, with a lot of potential depth. There's a lot of good single-player content for those who like beating up various characters, in addition to the online multiplayer that is genre-standard. Mortal Kombat 11 is everything that a Mortal Kombat game should be, and it's something fans should enjoy.

Gadgets 360 - 8 / 10
That said, there's clearly a lot more done right that wrong in Mortal Kombat 11. It stands out as the best entry in the new trilogy and presents you with a lot to explore, learn and even master. That is why Mortal Kombat 11 will continue to be the game that you're playing in-between other games, long after you're done with it.

Screen Rant - Corey Hoffmeyer - 4 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11 is the best fighting game in years, featuring polished combat and a ridiculously fun story.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10
The gory fighting game isn't back with just a number of new fatalities, its new strategy based fighting system and the abundance of game modes makes it a must buy for the genre veterans.

We Got This Covered - Eric Hall - 3.5 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11 is arguably the most enjoyable entry in the long-running franchise. It's visually incredible and a blast to play. However, questionable design decisions -- namely, a grind-heavy approach to progression -- hold it back from true fighting game greatness.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 7 / 10
This game is the pinnacle of Mortal Kombat action. Fights are fluid, weighty, and gorgeous to look at. Unfortunately, that tightly-designed gameplay is bogged down by a grindy system of loot and consumables that only serves to artificially extend your playtime in the most tedious ways imaginable. There is so much heart and care put into this game, from the combat to the gorgeous visuals and memorable story, but that effort feels nullified by the desperate attempt to twist an iconic video game franchise into just another endlessly online service game.

Push Square - Lloyd Coombes - 7 / 10
Structural foibles detract from the fact that Mortal Kombat 11 is an excellent fighter with lots to offer. Those yearning for the gore-soaked days of old will find plenty to love, and newcomers will be enthralled by its excellent story and deep fighting system.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 3.5 / 5
The ever-flowing nature of time meant we'd eventually return to an Armageddon level event.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 7 / 10
Mortal Kombat 11 isn't the ideal MK package and may not even be the best MK package to come along in this console generation. Still, it's a strong package and one that still proves fun to play alone or with friends. It's not a flawless victory, but it's still a victory, nonetheless.

USgamer - Mike Williams - 3.5 / 5 stars
There's a lot to love in Mortal Kombat 11. It's a fantastic fighter with a roster of 25 varied characters, tons of customization options, beautiful graphics, and one of the best story modes in a fighting game. It's a shame that modes like the Krypt and Towers of Time inject annoyance and tedium into what was an excellent experience. The progression is complex and obtuse, when it should be easy and straightforward. MK 11 could been an all-time best, but it's just a contender.

TrueAchievements - Kevin Tavore - 3.5 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11 has some design issues, but overall I enjoyed my time and I can sincerely say I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

Daily Star - Dom Peppiatt - 3 / 5 stars
Mortal Kombat 11 - Flawless fighting marred by tedious grinding and content gating

Daily Mirror - Jasper Pickering - 3 / 5 stars
If you are a diehard Mortal Kombat fan and you must own this game just for the story and local competitive play then this review isn’t going to stop you from purchasing it. But until NetherRealm fixes its issues with connectivity and offers an experience that is friendly for consumers you are better off waiting for it to lower in price.

GameXplain - Liked-a-lot
Video Review - Quote not available

Skill Up - Ralph Panebianco - Unscored
Video Review - Quote not available

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Not sure what’s worse: the grind or me being completely apathetic to it because it’s an expectation at this point.
probably the latter

when people stop being angry about it - they'll just eventually accept it

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I was expecting to see way more 7s there, so after all it's looking good!

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
probably the latter

when people stop being angry about it - they'll just eventually accept it
I just don't think that genie is going back in anytime soon. The only hope for change is when a company takes it too far, ala BF2. We (sadly) need more of that, I think?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just don't think that genie is going back in anytime soon. The only hope for change is when a company takes it too far, ala BF2. We (sadly) need more of that, I think?
yeah, at this point it might be the only way

Reactions: NarohDethan

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Can't wait! I don't get all the whines about the krypt stuff. Have these people not played an MK game since the PS1?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Kinda bummed to hear about the grind, but I'll take it slowly when I get the game I guess.

Nice thread lashman :)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
thanks :) it's actually not really my thread, though .... everything but the banner image (which is just a crop of the cover anyway, lol) is automatically generated by OpenCritic :p they do this for every review ... you just need to copy and paste the BBcode :D

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
thanks :) it's actually not really my thread, though .... everything but the banner image (which is just a crop of the cover anyway, lol) is automatically generated by OpenCritic :p they do this for every review ... you just need to copy and paste the BBcode :D
Ohh I see! Well, anyway, thanks for posting it anyway haha :)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ohh I see! Well, anyway, thanks for posting it anyway haha :)
no problem :)

i just mentioned it in case anyone else wants to post a review thread for other games - it's just a simple copy/paste from OpenCritic, no need to do any big preparations or anything :)

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I predict I’ll get solid fun from everything but the towers of time, since I haven’t liked them since they were first introduced, but that’s fine as that’s already going to be a lengthy experience.

Hopefully there’s enough negative feedback about the towers this time they overhaul them drastically. Even having modifiers both you and the CPU would be a big step in the right direction. I’m sure programming the AI to try to react to the modifiers would be extra work but it’s needed.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I predict I’ll get solid fun from everything but the towers of time, since I haven’t liked them since they were first introduced, but that’s fine as that’s already going to be a lengthy experience.

Hopefully there’s enough negative feedback about the towers this time they overhaul them drastically. Even having modifiers both you and the CPU would be a big step in the right direction. I’m sure programming the AI to try to react to the modifiers would be extra work but it’s needed.
It worked for DOA6 :D

Anne

Apr 18, 2019
Combine IJ2 with MK Towers for the grind is the impression I'm under

dosukebe

おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
Apr 20, 2019
Apparently the augment stuff is restricted to a single player, online-only tower mode. That makes me feel better about the "grind" since I'm not going to care about that. It still sucks, however, and I hope there's enough of a backlash to get something to change. WB just doesn't learn.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
If they offered another "Unlock All" purchase like with X I'd probably just get that, only a little ashamed to admit it 😹

TomShoe

Ph.D. in Smug Entitlement
Apr 18, 2019
I see Netherealm pulled another one off again. Well done.

Sadly I'll have to wait until a season pass, that progression scheme turns me off in a bad way.

Oh well, that's 2019 gaming for ya.

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
FWIW--NRS said today that they'll be rolling out a fix "ASAP" for the Towers of Time/Krypt. They'll be addressing balancing and rewards.

Based on the ensuing talk, it sounds like such a fix is likely server side.

Of the ~15 or so reviews I've read, the grind evident in the towers and the lack of reward from the same (and the krypt) were the primary negatives on an otherwise well received game.

Anne

Apr 18, 2019
Just got confirmation from somebody at the arcade that the day one patch dropped and apparently fixed a lot of the missing stuff. There were parts of trials and move lists and frame data literally not in the game or non functioning before.

There was A LOT more that was either bugged out or just not there (even some of the variation stuff wasn't finished).

Reactions: warp_

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Not gonna pre-load, since it's legitimately faster for me, with my internet, to just download it once it unlocks. Excited to play it though!

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Just got confirmation from somebody at the arcade that the day one patch dropped and apparently fixed a lot of the missing stuff. There were parts of trials and move lists and frame data literally not in the game or non functioning before.

There was A LOT more that was either bugged out or just not there (even some of the variation stuff wasn't finished).
Between this and their "fixes" for the towers/krypt, I really have to temper myself with getting worked up about "early" releases and whatnot.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
I fell asleep before it unlocked last night. Way to go, me lol

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Heads up for those interested in easy unlocks: doing each character's tutorial gives you a skin for them. Also doing ALL the tutorials gives you Shao Kahn as an announcer. Linking your game/account with MK Mobile gives you Kronika as an announcer.

Also, because NRS is NRS, the default variations in practice modes are not the tournament variations. 😸 Here's how to use the tournament variations in practice

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Too much talk abput content and value, not enough talk about gameplay systems. They talk about depth but they don't know what it means.

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
So for real now. No Cyrax or Sektor playable? Only as "Variant" again? Boo...
řhese were leaked in switch files
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\ShangTsung
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Joker
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Nightwolf
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Terminator
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Sindel
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Spawn
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Ash
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Fujin
DependencyRootPaths=$GameDir$\Content\DLC\Sheeva

Reactions: QFNS and derFeef

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Haven't delved into the story, just done the tutorials for the mechanics and for my girl, Skarlet. She is changed from her old MK9 but in an excellent way. They leaned way harder into making her a zoner so she's definitely gonna piss some people off. Makes me want to get an online trial to cause some salt.

Reactions: lashman

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
All the monetization bs aside, the game is actually very good. The tutorial is one of the best I've seen in the genre, which is awesome!

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Wow, been a long time since I stayed up til 2am playing a fighting game. It's a bit harder when I have to be up for work at 6. :oops:

Either way it's feeling real good. Played the story long enough to get Frost, it's got some real good moments. Scorpion and Sub Zero being bros now was not something I expected to see but I am super into. Didn't go past Chapter 4 but I'm sure the goofy shit like that continues.

Went through a couple character tutorials to get some skins and they are really good ones so they definitely made going through the tutorials worth it. Speaking of...the mechanics tutorials are DEEP. It gets into not just "how to do X" but WHY you want to do it, and what the strategy behind all the mechanics are in the game. Plus stuff like explaining frame data and block strings and frame traps, etc. It's definitely a top tier tutorial and 100% worth going through to get a breakdown on fighting games in general....but goddamn it is HARD in the final tier. 😸 Plus you get Shao Kahn as an announcer for doing it which is real cool.

Got a grind session for the local FGC tonight so I'll finally get into the "fighting other people" part of the game lol. But even just solo it's really got its hooks in me. Game is real fun, real addictive, and really good looking!

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Is this the best place to talk about the game or should I post in the fighting game thread?

Either way, I'm bummed that NA doesn't get this skin for Skarlet...super jelly of EU/Russia

Also playing with friends yesterday we discovered that the "Use random costume pieces" setting for Tournament Vs will use items you haven't unlocked yet, so that's cool if you're lazy like me and haven't unlocked much.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Update on Towers of Time & Krypt issues, plus PC performance.

Hello all,

First, we wanted to say thank you all for your feedback on Mortal Kombat 11 so far. We’re dedicated to bringing you the best experience possible and working to get the latest updates and patches live across all platforms.

We’re aware of the difficulty issues in Towers of Time, and while we’ve made some changes, rest assured there are more on the way. To help you along your way, everyone will receive:

· 500,000 Koins

· 500 Hearts
· 1,000 Soul Fragments
· 1,000 Time Krystals

We’ve broken down the updates coming to each platform below. As always, if you’re experiencing issues, please send a ticket to our CS team at WB Games Support. Thank you for being a part of the Mortal Kombat Kommunity!

PS4/Xbox:

We’re aiming to release the patch early next week. This patch will include:

· Reduce AI difficulty · Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time · Thank you gift (500,000 Koins, 500 Hearts, 1,000 Soul Fragments and 1,000 Time Krystals)

Switch:

For the Nintendo Switch, we have two patches in progress. We’re aiming to have the first patch in this series released in the next day or two.

· Character tuning to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time · Reduce AI health to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time · Reduce effects and frequency of most difficult modifiers in Towers of Time · Overall improvements to stability

The second patch is in progress and we’ll let you know as soon as we have a release date. This update will include:

· Reduce AI difficulty · Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time · Thank you gift (500,000 Koins, 500 Hearts, 1,000 Soul Fragments and 1,000 Time Krystals)

PC:

For PC, we have two patches in progress. We’re aiming to have the first patch in the series released in the next day or two. This patch will include:

· Character tuning to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time

· Reduce AI health to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time

· Reduce effects and frequency of most difficult modifiers in Towers of Time

· Updates to character move values

· Overall improvements to stability, including crash fixes in menus and navigating UI

· Fixed a problem where the game would not load using certain keyboard configurations

· Fixed a problem where the game would not load due to non-English characters in the Windows user name

We’re aiming to release the next patch in the series early next week. This patch will include:

· Reduce AI difficulty · Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time

· Thank you gift (500,000 Koins, 500 Hearts, 1,000 Soul Fragments and 1,000 Time Krystals)