Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Just finished watching Violet Evergarden

Really liked it, the pace is kinda slow but loved the character interactions and evolution. Also the feels in some of the episodes :loudly-crying-face:

Reactions: lashman and Kvik
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
violet evergarden was nice overall... but the hamfisted backstory soured me a bit on the cool stories around writing and letters and so on... and the one episode with the mother and little girl got me good... you know what I mean
nice animation and art too

I watched Russian Doll yesterday... liked it a lot overall... but really not sure about the last two episodes... it kinda fell apart imo

Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
There was a massive 2nd hand bookfair in my town today, picked up some blu-rays mega cheap. AUS$2 each, so US$1.50 or so each. Got:

- Desolation of Smaug Steelbook Edition
- Under the Skin
- X-Men First Class
- Kingsman 4k!
- Penny Dreadful season 1 and 3

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
I forgot to post this, but I saw The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part a few days ago.

It's a worthy sequel that has a few ups & downs. If you love characters like Benny, & Batman, I think you'll have a fantastic time with this film.

My only issue with the movie overall is that some of the new supporting cast aren't as utitlized as much which is a darn shame, because I love the little moments of spotlight for these characters overall.

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
Well, I watched the Robin Hood (2018) - IMDb reboot yesterday...despite the atrocious reviews (and yeah, what were they thinking with some of the casting, costumes and set design, anachronisms...and plot..) I kind of enjoyed it in a mindless, action sort of way. At the end of it I'd have been up for a sequel, and I've definitely seen worse. But then maybe I just have terrible taste in brainless enjoyment?

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Binged Sex Education (Netflix Coming of Age drama series) in January and it's great. Love the dynamic between the main characters and Gillian Anderson is soooooo good in this.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Seriously enough with giving women heels in action movies, I'm pretty sure those things are uncomfortable for running away from shit that's trying to eat or murder you

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Just watched the Dragon Ball super movie. Fights are great and music was decent. It was good to have an actual backstory for broly that isn't dumb, lol.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
For anyone with access to an (American?) library card that supports Hoopla, Kore-eda's new movie Shoplifters was added and can be streamed now!

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
watched Free Solo, or how I call it "Nope: The Movie"... its a documentary about a free climber and his next big target to climb... its almost a horror movie for people like me that cant handle heights at all. Its pretty good!

and I watched Tracks, a kinda bio-/self finding pic about a women who crossed Australias big dessert alone only with the help of a few camels and a dog in the 70s... not bad at all but maybe a bit cliched, even tho ots a true story :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:... great shots of Australia tho

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Forgot to write some thoughts after my next ten, so fifteen this time instead.

Shin Godzilla: About as close to perfect as I expect to ever see a kaiju movie get. This takes the social critique/examining of classic Godzilla, and flies it to new heights. But it does so in a way that feels reminiscent of the gentlest of Japanese humanists. There are no real “bad” guys here, and no one is judged or singled out. It’s a really beautiful meditation on humanity, bureaucracy, and Japan itself. The only thing that detracts from the movie (although I’m not sure if it was intentional) is the goofy-as-hell CGI. ★★★★½

The Red Turtle: With this movie finished, I’ve now seen 4/5 of the Academy nominated Best Animated Films for 2016 (only My Life as a Zucchini left). I’m fairly confident at this point in saying that the actual winner (Zootopia) is my least favorite of the ones I’ve seen. It’s not bad, but I love movies like this one that try to do something different with the world of animation. Some people found this cliche (nah), or “patriarchical” (also nah) or just boring (super nah). But I found it warm and spiritual in the best of ways. I’m not quite sure what it’s trying to say to us, but I’m sure I’ll be thinking about the answer for some time to come. ★★★★

Toyland: A sweet short film about a German mother trying to shield her son from his Jewish friend’s impending deportation to a concentration camp. The story goes about how you’d expect, but it’s still worth a few minutes of your time. ★★★½

97%: Another short film, this one wearing its message on its sleeve, warning us about the dangers of chasing “match percents” or what have you, instead of seeing the people right in front of us. Pretty cliche concept, adequate execution. I appreciated that it tackled the topic in a way that wasn’t totally Black Mirror, dystopian-esque. ★★★

The Orchestra: What would life be like if a tiny little band followed you around creating a literal soundtrack to your life? A cute premise for a short film, but it felt a little slow to me. I do appreciate movies that do something to treat the elderly with respect and gentleness, so it does get props in that regard. ★★★

Father and Daughter: A short film that I believe was directed by the guy who helmed The Red Turtle. It’s a very sweet story about a daughter waiting for her father to return to her across the years. Again, another fairly standard premise, but in this case the execution is held up by a gorgeous and unique animation style. Well worth a few minutes of your time as well. ★★★½

Anna & Bella: A short film about two sisters looking back at photos from their life, experiencing nostalgia, grief, happiness, and guilt. Again, not a terribly interesting concept, but the expressive animated style is pretty cute. ★★★

Coda: Now this one’s a trip. Yet another short film, this one about a man who tries to evade Death taking him after he’s killed as a pedestrian. This one is really worth your time, and I found it surprisingly moving even in spite of how silly the visuals and dialogue might seem at first. ★★★½

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya: I've been meaning to see this for years, and it lives up to the hype. It’s got a wonderful animation style, the English cast is surprisingly solid (not that Ghibli movies have bad dubs, but considering the actors in this one), and it’s a fairly beautiful and faithful retelling of a classic Japanese story. I think I need to rewatch it at some point, better prepared this time for the end, because boy oh boy did it take the wind out of my sails for the day. ★★★★

Sansho the Bailiff: On the one hand, I get why this is a classic and well loved, and I enjoyed it myself. On the other hand, I found it to be almost excruciatingly slow at some points. I might need to rewatch it at a better time of day or something. That said, even with my gripes about the pace, the ending really is as majestic as they say. ★★★★

Burning: So seeing Steve Yeun in a full, good Korean film is pretty great. But other than that, this is kinda a “Nah man” movie for me. I’m glad it got an Oscar nod, and I’m glad people liked it, but by the end I just thought the characters were losers. Maybe that was the point? I dunno, it was pretty tense for most of the film, but as the obvious finale started inching closer, I didn’t really feel any catharsis. I just wanted everyone to go away. ★★★½

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days: I’m counting this as a movie since I watched it while trying to catch up for KHIII, but by God is it trash. On the one hand, the story is actually quite a bit better than the one you find in the first two KH games. On the other hand, the cutscene direction and intersplicing of PowerPoint-esque text screens made this miserable to watch. ★★

Badlands: I believe this was my first ever Malick film, and for a debut film, it’s pretty impressive. I don’t think I’ve seen any movie where Martin Sheen is anywhere close to under 50, so that was pretty interesting as well. There’s an interesting commentary to be found here about America, but I’m too lazy to suss it out right now. ★★★½

The Thin Red Line: Easily one of the greatest war movies I’ve ever seen, and probably one of only a handful that I could ever call “moral” war movies. I understand why some people find the philosophical musings by the soldiers to be a little pretentious, but I found the entire movie to be breathtaking. ★★★★★

Chungking Express: I’m really conflicted with this one. I settled on 4 stars, but I could easily go down to three or three and half instead. There’s a lot to like here, and the usage of music in particular is pretty wonderful. I’m always going to associate the songs you hear within the movie with it now, so it certainly made its mark on me. But other than that, again like with Burning, I found some of the characters to be a little annoying. I probably need a rewatch to form a final opinion. ★★★★

Our Little Sister: My absolute favorite Kore-eda movie so far. I think a major factor is that I liked the positive ending more than some of the ambiguous endings his other movies have. It takes a lot these days to get me to pay 100% attention to a movie, but this one had the rare effect of getting me to turn my laptop and phone off, and be 100% focused on the movie. It also takes a lot to get me actually emotional, and there were a number of scenes here that did exactly that. ★★★★★

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Hot dang, and hey Cyborg may FINALLY be relevant for once since DC 'promoted' him :V

Rebellious Supergirl is best Supergirl

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Our Little Sister: My absolute favorite Kore-eda movie so far. I think a major factor is that I liked the positive ending more than some of the ambiguous endings his other movies have. It takes a lot these days to get me to pay 100% attention to a movie, but this one had the rare effect of getting me to turn my laptop and phone off, and be 100% focused on the movie. It also takes a lot to get me actually emotional, and there were a number of scenes here that did exactly that. ★★★★★
Told ya!

:wd_blush:

I got tickets booked for Shoplifters but my valentine's day date fell through, so I'll be going by myself this Saturday night. But who cares, right? It's Kore-eda. She probably won't like it anyway.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Told ya!

:wd_blush:

I got tickets booked for Shoplifters but my valentine's day date fell through, so I'll be going by myself this Saturday night. But who cares, right? It's Kore-eda. She probably won't like it anyway.
You and Kore-eda alone is already a dreamy enough date on its own

:wd_heart:

Reactions: lashman and Kvik
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I just watched Battle Angel Alita... That movie is Anime as fuck, and I mean that as a positive thing. Pretty close to the source overall, grazy good special effects... Even the 3D was good (4k, Atmos screening)

Just a fun movie, not perfect by any means but I hope we get a second one... Shit just got startet.
Second good Hollywood anime / manga movie after speed racer :drinking-blob:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Doom Patrol ep. 1 was good. I have high hopes for this show. I like that the first ep. introduces you to the main cast. I guess Cyborg's joining by the 2nd episode at least, and for once I am actually interested in seeing where he'll be going with the team.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Doom Patrol ep. 1 was good. I have high hopes for this show. I like that the first ep. introduces you to the main cast. I guess Cyborg's joining by the 2nd episode at least, and for once I am actually interested in seeing where he'll be going with the team.
Yeah, I thought it was great. Crazy how Titans was panned initially but turned out great and now this. An R-rated swamp thing will hopefully be good too.

The Umbrella Academy on Netflix is pretty good as well. Good production values and interesting characters. A lot more fun than the Marvel shows as well.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Yeah, umbrella academy is pretty good... I'm at episode 5 and I quiet like it

Watched Creed 2 yesterday... Meh, cliche ridden by the numbers movie which has nothing to say imo.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
One episode left in Umbrella Academy and ive enjoyed it. Number 5 and Klaus are the standouts. Its still weird to me that Mary J Blige is in this for some reason

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Watched Serenity last night, the new one, not the Firefly one. It's not what you expect and um... goes places!

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
bobnowhere
I spoilerd myself on that movie after everyone said it has a crazy twist and I wanted to know what it is
It sounds dumb as fuck :p

That said I downloaded it too and will watch it sometime this week

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
watched Mom & Dad last night with Nic Cage and Selma Blair and what an insane movie that was. no explanations as to why things happened and was hilarious to boot.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just saw Alita, and I really enjoyed it. (I read the manga a long time ago)
The pacing is breakneck, but for me that primarily meant that we were moving from one cool scene to the next with no filler.
I don't know what it does for someone unfamiliar with the setting, but my friend who had never read the manga also liked the movie a lot so it can't be too detrimental.

The aesthetics were absolutely amazing throughout.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Watched Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse...
the movie is pretty damn fantastic!

and so nice to finally see a big budget hollywood CGI movie that has some sense of style and doesn't just use that generic disney/pixar/dreamworks cgi look... you know which one I mean

great animation too... just a fun and very imaginative movie. And its great how self aware this movie is. Lord and Miller for the win!

more of this please

Reactions: Milena and lashman

Virix

Dec 6, 2018
I just saw Alita, and I really enjoyed it. (I read the manga a long time ago)
The pacing is breakneck, but for me that primarily meant that we were moving from one cool scene to the next with no filler.
I don't know what it does for someone unfamiliar with the setting, but my friend who had never read the manga also liked the movie a lot so it can't be too detrimental.

The aesthetics were absolutely amazing throughout.
As a non-manga reader, I liked the visuals and was digging the story up to the end of the second act (her "power up"). Then instead of a climatic third act, the story continues in a bizarre way and basically just cuts off with an abrupt conclusion to the romantic plot.

I get that they're saving stuff for the sequel but for me this movie had no payoff.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Watched Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse...
the movie is pretty damn fantastic!

and so nice to finally see a big budget hollywood CGI movie that has some sense of style and doesn't just use that generic disney/pixar/dreamworks cgi look... you know which one I mean

great animation too... just a fun and very imaginative movie. And its great how self aware this movie is. Lord and Miller for the win!

more of this please
Watched nearly all of it last night, fell asleep near the end. I'll watch the rest tonight.

It's fantastic, loved every minute of it.

Reactions: lashman and Milena

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Just started my Star Trek The Next Generation complete bluray box set, never watched it before so looking forward to it.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Stevey nice have fun... Season one is a bit rough, but good fun after that

Netflix got the international rights for the Wandering Earth, pretty nice, thought it would be a while till I can see it. This should speed things up

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Netflix got the international rights for the Wandering Earth, pretty nice, thought it would be a while till I can see it. This should speed things up
Interesting, it got some nice reviews, so I'm looking forward to it!
And hopefully this doesn't kill any distribution of the movie on Blu Ray 4K. I almost lost hope for Annihilation and it's finally coming out here (well, in the UK, but close enough).