Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I thought it would be nice to have a general movie opinion thread about stuff you have seen or looking forward too. To give people recommendations or warn them, or just to have a talk about what you have watched.

I catched up with the new Mission Impossible over the last weekend and I must say I liked it a lot, just a well made super fun spy action movie. Probably the best in the whole series imo.

Also watched Destination Wedding and I loved that one.

It's basically just Keanu Reeves and Wynonna Rider talking for two hours about God and the world and your place in it. It's really funny and interesting. And the way it's shoot is fun too, the two are the only people in the movie that talk and the camera is always focused on them. The "plot" and all other characters just happen at the sidelines or background.
It reminded me of the "Before..." trilogy a lot, there should be more movies like this. Thumbs up from me!

Locking forward to finally watch Mandy tomorrow with some friends.

On the show front I'm still going through Bojack Horseman S5 and it's really great too episode 6 floored me.

Sorry for no links for trailers or imdb, I ad them later, sitting on the train right now.

Looking forward to what you guys have watched :)

Last edited:

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
I have heard 'Mandy' is quite good. I have no idea what its about or what to expect and that can only be a good thing haha. Last movie I watched several times was Mission Impossible Fallout. It was awesome.

No idea what other movies to look out for and that kinda makes me sad. But now i have this thread to follow and get some good recommendations. :D

Reactions: Schnitzelfee

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
I've seen Mandy couple of days ago. I didn't remember much about it from the initial trailer other than it looked cool. Absolutely loved it. Visually gripping, surprising, with some great performances from the main cast.
Currently watching Legion, I'm 6/8 episodes into the first season. It started really strong and tries it's best to stay fresh with new twists almost every step of the way but despite that it's getting a bit boring simply because none of the characters are really fleshed out enough to be interesting on their own and the overall plot is nothing special.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I have 3 episodes of Iron Fist S2 to watch. Not sure about it yet, it's probably better than S1 but I just want more to happen. Ward is still the star of the show.

Also just started The First, the first manned mission to Mars show starring Sean Penn. Beautifully realised so far but I'm not 100% sure sci-fi fans will really be interested after the twist in the first episode.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Really looking forward to Mandy Blizniak me and my friends are always down for such stuff... I even ordered the OST on vinyl cause I really dig that mix between doom metal, dark ambient and synth stuff... And it's a really listenable OST, more like a album...

bobnowhere I just was about to start The First... And I'm a huge sci fi head... The trailers made it more look like a family drama... I guess Jean Penn blows up and it's all about the aftermath or so? :LOL:

I want my hard sci fi Mars Mission, dammit :p

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Really looking forward to Mandy Blizniak me and my friends are always down for such stuff... I even ordered the OST on vinyl cause I really dig that mix between doom metal and synth stuff... And it's a really listenable OST, more like a album...

bobnowhere I just was about to start The First... And I'm a huge sci fi head... The trailers made it more look like a family drama... I guess Jean Penn blows up and it's all about the aftermath or so? :LOL:

I want my hard sci fi Mars Mission, dammit :p
I haven't finished it yet but spoilers for the first episode:

Sean isn't on the mission, he was replaced. It blows up in ep. 1 and now it's up to Sean

For Hard Mars Sci-fi try Mars, it's part doco, part drama but it's fantastic. I think it's on Netflix as well.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I have seen Mars, liked it a lot...
Gonna give The First a go for sure, I gonna watch anything with that topic anyways...
Thanks for the info!

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I'm kinda bad at keeping up with new movies, so all I've watched recently is Belyy tigr (2012) - IMDb.
It's a very Russian movie, and even though it might look like a war movie on the surface, it's actually more like a contemplative fantasy film. Hard to describe, mostly visually gorgeous (with the exception of the White Tiger itself, which is not a Tiger but a repurposed IS-2, though that in a way helps create an even more unsettling atmosphere every time the tank appears) and very well acted. It's fully in Russian though, so only subs for people who don't speak that language (like me).

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Recently watched:
The latest season of Bojack Horseman, which was amazing as always.
In the Mouth of Madness, first time seeing it and quite enjoyed it
A Quiet Place, pretty solid overall but maybe not quite deserving all the hype
Forbidden Planet (La Planète sauvage ) , a bizarre as fuck animated film from 1973 that was totally worth watching

What I want to see?
Mandy
I'm still behind on a lot of movies I was initially hyped about and haven't watched yet (Baby Driver, Interstellar, etc.)
Post automatically merged:

Ohhh my username doesn't fit all on one line dammittttttttttttttttttttttttt
EDIT: Oh but it does now, thanks Lash!

Last edited:
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
FeedMeAStrayCat first, lol about your name, thats unfortunate :LOL:
second, Fantastic Planet is great, I watched it for the first time like 10 years ago... for sure a pretty unique movie...
I know I have seen In the mouth of Madness at some point, but can barely remember it.
Enjoyed A Quiet Place a lot...

Baby Driver is great, but its Edgar Wright, so its a given :p
Interstellar is good, but not the second coming of Christ like some people act IMO, the movie would never have gotten so much praise if not for Nolan...

Gonna finish Bojack tomorrow I guess

yeah, Auto merge is a blessing :giggle:

New Half in the Bag

gonna watch this one after I watched Mandy tomorrow :LOL:

Last edited:

Robby

Short, but sassy.
Sep 20, 2018
Finally sat down and watched Wolfcop, which was just bananas from start to finish. There were some parts where I was laughing so hard I had to pause for a few minutes. Planning to watch the sequel soon.

TV wise, I just finished up American Vandal S2 and had a good time with it. I thought it was more consistently funny than the first season, but I'm a sucker for poop and fart jokes.

Probably going to see The Nun this weekend with my wife.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I know I have seen Wolfcop some years ago, but I guess I was really drunk... I cant remember anything :LOL:

I really have to catch up on American Vandals, everybody seems to love it...

The Nun is a "I watch this hungover on a Sunday afternoon from my couch" movie for me... But I hope you and your wife have fun with it!

Last edited:

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
No joke, I'm actually looking forward to the Venom movie. I half expect it to be a train crash, but man if I don't want to watch that train crash in person.

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Can't say I'm looking forward to it but I'll watch anything with Tom Hardy in it.

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018
I started watching the new Jack Ryan series on Amazon Video. Only watched the pilot, but I really enjoyed it. John Krasinski and Wendell Pierce really nail Jack Ryan and Jim Greer for me. It's not the same as Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones, but it doesn't have to be. I like it, even if you do have to kinda turn your brain off for certain Clancy-isms.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I watched that show a while ago, its good fun but a bit dumb too... and of course some murica huhaha stuff...
at least the bad guys arent written like monsters and have a somewhat reasonable motivation

Chariot

Ich bin keine Signatur, ich putze hier nur
Sep 20, 2018
I recently renewed my Netflix subscription for the specific purpose of watching Hilda when it releases tomorrow, although I did went on a binge spree already. A lot of things I've missed out on.

It just looks lovely, everything about it just feels comfortable.

FeedMeAStrayCat

Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Seeing that Hilda trailer above reminds me that I need to finish the last episode or two of Aggretsuko. I thoroughly enjoyed that show

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Sadly I haven't seen anything lately, neither movie nor show. There are many things on my list, but I never end up taking care of it. For example, I'm a huge Pixar fan and I still haven't seen The Incredibles 2 or Cars 3, that's how out of touch I am.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Better Call Saul is pretty damn amazing.

It is ridiculously polarising though. It is glacially slow, but with a most definitive purpose that reveals it self towards the latter half of each season.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I have watched S1+2 of Saul and then kinda forgot to watch the remaining seasons... I like it a lot tho... I should get back to that one

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Different kind of thing but I've watched

which is student-made animated short from a french animation school. They'll be uploading another one on their channel every thursday for the next 3 months.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I gonna give those a go tomorrow (y)
Love me some animation in all kinds of forms

BTW, this is out today too... I hope its good

Last edited:
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I finally watched Mandy with some friends, and admittedly, some vodka yesterday.... Oh boy... I fucking loved it!
It's not a movie for everyone, but man, this shit is such a trip and so well made and acted....

Pure cinema bliss... Two thumbs up!

Just watched the first episode of Maniac, its fucking great... gonna binge watch it hard over the weekend!

Finished episode two, this will be a wild ride... Lovely

OMG the "fucktube" scene in EP3... Amazing

Last edited:

FeedMeAStrayCat

Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I watched the trailer for Maniac and I'm pretty intrigued! May give that a go tonight while my partner is at work. Is anyone aware of any rape/graphic sexual assault in the series? That would most likely keep her from watching it, unless it's like super brief or something. She refuses to watch Game of Thrones due to all the rape shit

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
I saw this tweet a while ago and it made me check out the show

and what do you know...it's fantastic. Surprisingly mature for a Cartoon Network thing, funny and heartwarming. It's just 10 ~10-minute episodes and I highly recommend it.

Yakkue

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ
Sep 6, 2018
I watched episode 1 of Maniac and was honestly kind of let-down, I expected something different. But maybe it will get better for me later?

Also watched Mandy, that was a really good movie, I'd recommend you guys to watch it!

Reactions: NingenJanai
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Yakkue Maniac changes a lot even from episode to episode... I really liked it overall
also finall finished S5 of Bojack... yep, amazing show status confirmed once more
and for some reason I finally came around to finishing The Man in the High Castle S2... totally forgot about it... its fun but also kinda a mess... but S3 looks to be way more Sci-Fi ish with the direction they are going... probably not a bad idea to inject that show with a bit of momentum

And I watched a new Prime show called Forever... that... was something... I dont wanna spoil anything, let me just say that show is not what you thing it is... the "real" premise doesnt even start before episode 3... I liked it a lot, pretty subtle stuff but also had one of the most amazing episodes of anything I have seen in a while...
but yeah, try not the get spoilered on that one... which should be hard after a while, I could see that one becoming big if it finds it audience...

New best of the worst...

Watched the first two episodes of the new season of The Good Place and its still great, looking forward too what twists and turns this season will take...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt Russell
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space

I watched ant-man 2 yesterday, its good fun...

And it's finally possible to watch Babylon Berlin here, have seen the first three episodes and it's pretty good imo. Nice to see that "Germany" is finally getting into the high quality show game over the last years

Watched The Meg and Summer of 84 today...

The Meg is a extremely by the numbers Hollywood luxury trash, dumb as fuck but good for a laugh...

Summer of 84 is the new movie from the people that made Turbokid (which is awesome), it's stranger things meets The 'Burbs... Not bad at all

Last edited:
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Have watched Searching yesterday.
Probably the best "you only see stuff happening on a computer screen" movie till now.
Really good and mostly realistic use of modern social media and internet possibilities and genuine suspenseful for most of its run time...

And watched Silver Spoon.
I like Anime that are set in atypical environments or use fringe interests as plot and this one fits right in.
In this case it's set at a agricultural school.
It's a nice mix of light hearted fun but also has some more serious plot points. Fun characters and genuinely funny in places.
Only problem, like with lots of Anime, the show ends at a point where the story isn't finished yet. So you have to read the Manga to see how it continues. But luckily the Manga is really well done too, so don't let that stop you from checking it out.

U have watched this one
Brad's Status
Brad's Status (2017) - IMDb

It's not a bad movie at all, but sadly all I could think over the running time was... Super first world problems...

Dude has it all... A loving and cute wife... A son... A house and what not

But it's all "how could my life be better" fuck off.... Really

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Only movies I'm looking forward to are what're releasing in December so
Aquaman
Bumblebee
Spiderman & His Amazing Friends

TV shows I really need to get around to watching soon and am watching, include
Poldark
Black Lightning S2
Star Trek Discovery
Doctor Who

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Pretty surprised that no one has added The Terror yet, I think it's one of my favorite shows of the year, really really good and don't want to spoil anything so I will just say that it involves The Arctic, Two English Ships in late 1800's and a mystery.

It's a really great show if you haven't watched it yet you should.