Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
That Black Manta poster looks neat... He looks like a character from Super Sentai or Kamen Rider though, not sure if that's what they're going for...

Reactions: lashman
OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
no offense, I'm always open and positive about most movies before release... and I hope aquaman is a fun romp... but its just soooo... I don't even know...

I watched Christopher Robin, its cute, its sad, its kinda funny... its totally forgettable imo... fine for a watch... the animation is good, its well made... its just kinda... nothing...

I actually like this one more Goodbye Christopher Robin, but its more of a biopic and not a fantasy movie... not amazing either but way more interesting imo

Watched Solis too... not a bad genre low budget exercise, but overall kinda boring and nothing new. fine if you have nothing else to watch.

and watched this River Runs Red... the movie handles a important theme... the killing of young black people through cops in the USA... but honestly... I think its one of the worst movies I have seen In ages... the intentions are good... the script and acting are really bad

and again a random shout out to The Good place, this show is just sooo goood

Next up are the new Predator and Outlaw king I guess...
Post automatically merged:

oh fuck, that reminds me...
I have watched the Incredibles 2... I... I didn't like it at all...

I don't know what it is, I love animation... I like Pixar... but that movie bored me to tears.... I don't get it myself... didn't like the first either tho

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Incredibles 2 from what I've gathered is a retread of the first movie, except the roles are switched. I did like Mr. Incredible trying to look after the kids, and as someone who likes maths, I was happy to see him coming to terms with his son and helping him out.

At this point Aquaman is the Schrodinger's cat; you won't know if it is good or bad until you watch it.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I watched that new Predator movie yesterday, man, what a fucking disappointment all around. The movie is just dumb. Easily the worst of all the Predator movies. There is just some baffling stuff in this movie that is just laughable or straight dumb. I had some hopes cause of Shane Black, but alas.
That said, still fun enough for a lazy Sunday afternoon if you go into with low expectations.

And I watched the first episode of a new German Amazon Prime exclusive show, Beat.
No clue if its available outside of Germany, but it should be I guess. Its kinda a serial Killer crime mystery conspiracy show set in the Berlin club scene. Cool setting, the Berlin music and club scene is displayed authentically and the setup seems fun. I liked the first episode and will watch more. Maybe give it a go if you like psycho killer crime mystery stuff :)

German Trailer

Lain

serial experiments
Sep 20, 2018
Watched Outlaw King the other day and I found it interesting and enjoyable, though I'm going to chalk it up to Chris Pine, who's pretty nice with a beard too.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Just started Black Lightning Season 2, and right off the bat it is kicking ass and building off the events of the previous season.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Right, so Star Trek Discovery-

I liked the first half of the show a lot more than the 2nd half. Some nice sci fi adventures and drama, and I liked the cast overall.
The 2nd half of the first season could've been better if
The Terrans weren't so staurday morning cartoon evil. I likely left those episodes run in the background while I was doing other stuff..
Looking forward to watching Season 2 though. Maybe someday I'll get around to watching TOS, and more of the movies.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Pikachu is cute... thats where my interests end, never have played any Pokemon game :p

I watch it when it hits the web, cause of course I will, but I hope it will deliver for the fans!

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Anyone else watching Origin? The new scifi series from YouTube. It's surprisingly decent to good. It's a bit of a mix of Lost the TV series with a character flashback per episode and the movie Event Horizon. No surprise as its from Paul WS Anderson. Decent b grade cast as well.

Reactions: dummmyy

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I just started watching Maniac. Seems like a romp with the absurd, unreliable narrator...Can't wait to finish it.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
bobnowhere yeah, I have seen the first few episodes... It's Lost meets Pandorum.
Fun enough, but I love deep space survival stuff, will watch the remaining episodes for sure

dummmyy maniac is a fun ride, I'm not sure how much of it makes sense in the end but it's something unique for sure

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Just got back from watching Crims of Grindelwald, being the sequel to Fantastic Beasts. I overall didn't like it as much as I'd hoped
While it's understandable taht the focus of the film is on Grindelwald, they had to have Fantastic Beasts in the title for movie goeres to recognize it.
I would've much preferred if there was more of Newt adventuring and helping out magical creatures, which we only got a liiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit of in this movie.

The whole Grindelwald focus in this movie feels rather disjointed as it is more setting up for a 3rd film than anything. I also don't feel like Queenie was developed well in this movie with her motivations etc.

Another thing I really disliked is how the adults in Hogwarts don't dress like how they did in the Harry Potter movies (looking like wizards and witches as in tales etc.)

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
so... I watched a bunch of stuff...

The hate U give, another drama about unjust police brutality against black Americans. This one is way better than the other one I watched recently tho. Well acted and brings the point home well. Maybe a bit to overdramatic in the end. But I liked it a lot.

Then I have seen the first 7 episodes of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, its your typical "protagonist gets trapped in fantasy world" Anime. But the whole setup and how the main-char acts is pretty untypical. Its just good fun and it doesnt take itself too seriously. And the main character is a slime, which in itself is dumb enough that I had to check it out.

A Prayer before Dawn, a English boxer living in Thailand gets caught by the cops for drug stuff and gets thrown in to a massive prison without speaking a word of Thai and has to fight for his survival and place among the inmates. Based on a, in this case really, true story. Hard prison drama, really good acted and I like how you as the viewer gets thrown in this world too without understanding shit just like the main. He learns the language as more time goes by and we get more and more subtitles for what the other inmates are saying. I liked this one (y)

Sharp Objects, limited HBO series about a reporter that comes back to her hometown to investigate a series of killings and, as one says so nice, fighting the demons of her past.
Damn man, this one is a masterpiece. So well acted, so well edited, just so well done. And the mystery and how it connects to her past is suspenseful and interesting. This is just really good shit if you like drama and murder mystery stuff. And only eight episodes long with a final ending.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post, drama set in the early 90s about a gay girl that gets send to one pf those christian "being gay is srong and we will fix you in the name of god" camps.
Its not bad, makes some good points about how fucked that whole shit is and it has good acting. Didn't wow me or something tho. Good drama if you are interested in the topic.

And I have seen a bunch of episodes of the new She-Ra Netflix show. Its a well made fun re-imagine of the original. I like how they build up the whole back story from the original and made it a bit more interesting, cause lets be real, the 80s show is pretty bad overall, just like He-Man :p
The animation could be better in places, the characters are fun and is hits the right tones for young girls, and boys, from today I think. They will like it... and I will finish it too cause its sweet :p

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
maniac is a fun ride, I'm not sure how much of it makes sense in the end but it's something unique for sure

It was pretty good! I might've not paid attention during an episode, but I felt cheated somehow by the last episode...

That was another reality he had spoken about previously when they leave the asylum place Owen, Jonah Hill's character, was at at the end, right? Seems like what happened didn't happen and was just another sort of "play" reality Owen had dreamed up and briefly talked about when they talked about it in one of the previous episodes. Hm..

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I'm gonna honor my tag and recommend The Drop

Amazing movie, Tom Hardy nails it (like he ever doesn't). Also it's James Gandolfini last movie before his death.

The plot is really great and it has one of the best endings I've ever seen.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
hardly, Nazi Zombies arent exclusive to wolfenstein... its a pretty old trope ;)
my local cinema doesnt play Overlord for some reason, I wanted to watch it with a friend tomorrow... but well... I wait for it to hit the net

sadblob I have seen that one, cant remember almost nothing about it for some reason tho :unsure:

Reactions: Gevin and lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
hardly, Nazi Zombies arent exclusive to wolfenstein... its a pretty old trope ;)
my local cinema doesnt play Overlord for some reason, I wanted to watch it with a friend tomorrow... but well... I wait for it to hit the net

sadblob I have seen that one, cant remember almost nothing about it for some reason tho :unsure:
Sure, but there thins about it that made me think about Wolfenstein. Small things but won't spoil. Worth a watch!

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Recently watched American History X.

The story revolves around a racist skinhead who doesn't want his brother to turn out like him. The acting and general story are both excellent, definitely worth a watch

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Yeah, it's a classic for a good reason and a movie that should be shown at every school as a double feature together with Schindlers List

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Illang: The Wolf Brigade: A very interesting Korean live-action take on the cult classic anime film. While I don't think it will beat the original, I do like the suit designs and atmosphere.

Take My Brother Away: Based on a web manhwa made in mainland China. Its a little more serious than in the manwha though. It also got a live action movie adaptation called "Go Brother!" as well as flash anime in Japan by the same people who did Aggretsuko.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I still haven't watched the real life Jin-Roh... maybe this weekend...

Is that "Take my Brother away" show a j-drama or a bit more "high quality". JMTHEFOX ?.. but I have added it to the watchlist anyways :D

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
oh right, china, sorry... :)

I watched The Nun for some reason, its bad... total by the numbers uninspired assembly line movie.

But I have also seen the first four episodes of Sick Note, and that show is fucking great till now imo, I love it. Nick Frost, Rupert Grint and Don Johnsons are awesome in this and the writers are really good at escalating the story more and more. Its of course totally unrealistic but good fun (y)

Lain

serial experiments
Sep 20, 2018
I started watching Black Lightning recently and I'm really enjoying it. The show isn't without some flaws (I've seen the first 9 episodes of the first season so far) but the chemistry between the characters and the way it deals with certain issues feels pretty great. The costumes feel a bit on the silly side.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space

"Netflix has given a 10-episode series order to Cowboy Bebop, a live-action adaptation of the cult Japanese animated series. The Space western hails from Tomorrow Studios, Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios, which last year teamed on the project with Midnight Radio (Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner & Scott Rosenberg), writer Chris Yost (Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok) as well as Sunrise, the studio behind the original series. "

this could be the tits if done right

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Creed 2 was fun., nice drama and the boxing and training montages were kickass.
I got in as the Captain Marvel trailer was ending, didn't feel like I missed much as I've been on media blackout on it.
I did get to see this trailer though
Now while I admit this looks visually impressive, everything else feels generically uninspired. Will prob. wait for it to release digitally, etc.

Also lmaoooooooooo

I saw this trailer when I went to watch Crimes of Grindlewald and I legit thought ti was a trailer for a Thief movie, but nope just another Robin Hood movie :V

Widows is pretty good from what I've read and heard, but eeeeeh not really in the mood to watch anything dark during these next couple of weeks esp. with lots of fun light movies coming up.

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I have seen a bunch more stuff over the last week, will make a post about it later...

Tizoc I hope Mortal Engines is at least good fun, I totally want a new cool sci-fantasy romp... gonna watch it at the theater as long the reviews arent overwhelmingly negative

OP
Schnitzelfee

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I hope the new godzilla delivers, everything looks great till now tho...

I totally missed that the first three episodes of Nightflyers are all ready out there... I know what I gonna watch tonight!

And I still have to write up all the stuff I watched over the last almost two weeks, I watched a lot of stuff... But I'm so lazy :p