Q&A New HDD. Where to Install Windows?

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I have a 250 GB HDD that I build my system on. Over time, I bought a 500 GB SDD for gaming and a 2TB HDD for storage.

I recently purchased a 1TB SSD and Windows 10, because I have been running Win 8.1 all this time.

So, do I clean install Windows 10 on the 1TB SSD or do I upgrade to Win 10 on the 250 GB HDD and then clone it to the 500 GB SSD?

The 250GB SSD is basically going into retirement.my MOBO only has enough space for four HDDs.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Your 1TB SSD is probably the fastest. So in your situation, I would create a small (I use 120GB) partition on that SSD for Windows and Apps. Keep your games and media on other partitions or drives.

I also advise a clean Windows install, especially if you're planning to use the Windows Store.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Just for the sake of it I'd do a clean Windows 10 install on your newest SSD.

I loved the upgrade option when Windows 10 launched and it's useful but unless you really can't take a couple hours to get your softwares and drivers (this last one is less than a problem nowadays anyway) up and running I'd go for a clean install with Win 10 latest version.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'd always advise a clean install of windows 10 as i have seen too many upgrade installs develop issues down the line especially with the Store but with other things as well. It means you have a working OS on your retired SSD just in case you need it in future and a backup of your profile and user data if you need to grab a file you've forgotten to copy across.

How much use would a 250GB SSD be on a PS4? If you have one then that could be another use for it once you know everything of worth is copied across to the new install.

OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I'd always advise a clean install of windows 10 as i have seen too many upgrade installs develop issues down the line especially with the Store but with other things as well. It means you have a working OS on your retired SSD just in case you need it in future and a backup of your profile and user data if you need to grab a file you've forgotten to copy across.

How much use would a 250GB SSD be on a PS4? If you have one then that could be another use for it once you know everything of worth is copied across to the new install.
It would be of great use since I had to delete WipEout to install Tekken on the PS4.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Now i think about it, Isn't 250GB half the size of the PS4 internal drive?
I swapped to a 750GB, 7200rpm drive on Launch day so i can't even remember what size the original one is.