Community New music / recommendations

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Holy shit Nirvana did a John Peel Session? that's fucking awesome. There's something about that studio and their set up that makes (nearly) every band sound fucking amazing. Especially the more extreme music like Napalm Death. Nothing they record on their own will reach the quality (or lack thereof) of the Peel Sessions to me. Awesome, thanks for posting, Stevey

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Holy shit Nirvana did a John Peel Session? that's fucking awesome. There's something about that studio and their set up that makes (nearly) every band sound fucking amazing. Especially the more extreme music like Napalm Death. Nothing they record on their own will reach the quality (or lack thereof) of the Peel Sessions to me. Awesome, thanks for posting, Stevey
Hole did a couple as well, think Nirvana did 2 or 3.

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I heard the lyrics to this song from a friend whose brother loved HMHB when we were in high school and they've stuck with me through the years. Here's the Peel session i probably first heard it on late at night in bed listening to Peel Sessions on my single speaker transistor radio.

A classic.

As is this medley/merge from another Peel Session.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

new Beth Gibbons song – new album out on May 17 :)

Really looking for it, her last album – from 2002, jeez – was brilliant.

———

new Kim Gordon song – new album out on March 8 :)

same thing here, her last album (this one is more recent, 2019), was brilliant :)

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
A bunch of new songs

Dark Tranquillity – melodic death metal

Nick Cave, finally with drums again (I couldnt stomach the ambient borefest his recent albums were)

Alcest – shoegaze, blackgaze (although "Wings of Glass" is leaning a bit too much towards ambient for me)

The Libertines – indie/alternative

Iron & Wine with Fiona Apple – singer/songwriter/folk/alt.country

NOFX – punk

Kim Gordon – more glorious noise

• Gib

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
New album by The Jesus and Mary Chain – "Glasgow Eyes"

And... its good! Unreachable however is the greatness of their début, "Psychocandy"

new song by Einstürzende Neubauten, new double album (called "Rampen - apm: alien pop music". ) following in April

new song by Jakob Algesten (formerly of Isolation Years, a great Swedish band that broke up some 15 years ago)

not new, but Brazen (one of many bands with this name, this is the "Swiss Brazen" so to speak), inactive since about 2007 or so, released their old stuff on Spotify, including this wonderful album. That it isnt more widely known is a borderline crime, if for the song "Calling Seasons" alone (also "Yesterday was you", "Waterproof Men", "Newborn Towns"....).
I had to mailorder this album back in the day from their label directly because they never had much of a reach, and even now, on Spotify they boast a mere 49 monthly listeners right now – its a bit sad that bands this amazing fail to reach any success, and also, how many people never get to hear their music because of that.

their other stuff is great too! these are more hardcore, wheras "Aura, Dora" was waaay more melodic indie rock

side note: the Spotify embeds used to be less ugly, right? yikes ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Einstürzende Neubauten holy crap, now there's a band i haven't checked up on for a long while. Saw them live supporting NIN many many years ago.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Was reminded of this classic ...

because it was released as an amazing cover with a fantastic crowd chant.

I actually prefer the cover tbh.

Jinn is voiced by Sara doing her bogan bloke voice.
The crowd are Sara with her colleagues Naki and Non with a chant from chat during Sara's Aussie karaoke.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The new Einstürzende Neubauten album is out!

"Rampen" (German for "ramps" ) is their name for improvisations during a live concert; they'll always have one on the setlist, and usually only very minimal starting points for them: like "Andrew starts" or something, along with some lyric fragment/loose ideas.

This album is made up of 15 such improvisations from their recent tour, re-recorded in the studio, but otherwise unchanged. And while there is good music on it, I think it shows a bit too much that its not composed properly. Songs follow a general pattern with a quiet and slow start and then build up, Lyrics often are fragmented, unfocused, and often repeat the song title. You can sense it takes them a while to find the song. I'm guessing it's deliberate to release it like this, because they've used Rampen before but would usually make them into proper songs before release. But anyway, listen for yourself :)

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Was reminded of this classic ...

because it was released as an amazing cover with a fantastic crowd chant.

I actually prefer the cover tbh.

Jinn is voiced by Sara doing her bogan bloke voice.
The crowd are Sara with her colleagues Naki and Non with a chant from chat during Sara's Aussie karaoke.
No way, get fucked, fuck off!

• This!
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
A PL Vtuber who had their debut this weekend used this track in a segment.
I have no idea what's going on but hey, it's catchy and being italian via a Polish VTuber is a bit of a mad way to discover an old rock song lol.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
New Pet Shop Boys album :)

new Motorpsycho song (came out of nowhere for me, and I follow this band since forever; its cool, though, very melodic and good vibes – edit: this song was part of a Record Store Day release in the UK)

Last edited:
  • Gib

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
new Neil Young + Crazy Horse live album; being a re-recording of their 1990 album "Rugged Glory"

· · ·

new album by Iron & Wine

· · ·

new album by Darkthrone