Community New music / recommendations

Deleted member 113

It seems we are still missing a generic music thread to discuss what we are currently listening to, and maybe recommend a band or two to fellow forum members (Metamembers? :p).

Well, let me start by recommending a band I'm currently listening to, whose new album, their second, is out on Friday.
Lusts are a duo of brothers from the UK, whose music, a mix of synth-pop with guitar distortions, is very heavily inspired by 70's/80's bands like New Order, Jesus and Mary Chain, among others.

Here are a couple of tracks from the new album, Call of the Void:

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
These songs remind me of what little I've heard of Depeche Mode or Pet Shop Boys. They don't sound bad, but not really my cup of tea. Wouldn't mind having them as background music while I focus on something else though.

The other day a friend made me listen to an Argentinian artist that does folk stuff. Turns out she's pretty good! So far she has only released an EP and a bunch of other songs, so no full album yet.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Well, it's a bit more on the slower, mellow, synth-pop side of things, but the new Ladytron tracks from their upcoming new album are pretty good.
Thanks for the tips! I used to listen to Ladytron years ago, will definitely give the new album a try! Speaking of synth, I just remembered just how damn good the Playing the Angel album by Depeche Mode was, like god damn so good, and I'm usually not a synth guy.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018

Anyone familiar with Aaron Turner's work with Isis or Old Man Gloom will be fairly at home with Sumac's latest monolithic riffs, thunderous rhythm and signature croaked growl. Slower paced - as sludge metal often is - and interspersed with atmospheric buildup before things cave in, but well worth the listen imo for anyone who likes it suffocatingly heavy.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Anyone familiar with Aaron Turner's work with Isis or Old Man Gloom will be fairly at home with Sumac's latest monolithic riffs, thunderous rhythm and signature croaked growl. Slower paced - as sludge metal often is - and interspersed with atmospheric buildup before things cave in, but well worth the listen imo for anyone who likes it suffocatingly heavy.
now that's my jam! good stuff :) thank you!

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018

NINGEN ISU - KYOMU NO KOE

BAROQUE - FLOWER OF ROMANCE

Two Japanese bands I'm into. NINGEN ISU is a heavy metal band in the doom style. BAROQUE is a pretty straightforward alernative/pop rock band. Love the vocalist's voice.

Reactions: lashman

Weerez

Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting
Sep 20, 2018

My personal favorite album of the 2010s, and certainly the best album of 2016. It's like Weezer meets Veruca Salt with helium vocals, and it's absolutely wonderful. A modern day power pop classic.

Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Been listening to PVRIS for a few weeks, really like it even though it's really far away from what I usually listen.

Also I discovered Chvrches in a plane flight, it was on the free music library offered by the airline (when you are 13 hours on a plane and you don't have any more books to read you use whatever helps you pass the time faster). I guess it's the same genre as PVRIS (electro-pop or something like that?)

It seems I like stuff out of my confort zone when it replaces a vowel with the letter "v" lol

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Gamey as heck, but I've been listening to Extra Lives and their fantastic covers lately. This one in particular really hit me. Great adaptation.

I also dipped back into my love for Mogwai -- a Scottish post-rock band -- and went through their early stuff, which is significantly mellower than the later albums.

Edit: Oh, and lots and lots of Eisley while playing MH World. Pretty generic stuff but it's just so damn catchy and fun to listen to. Combinations and The Valley are my favorite albums.

Last edited:
OP

Deleted member 113

Since we are now at that time of the year where everyone releases best of compilations, and new material (mostly) takes a back seat, allow me to post a few random selections for two 90's bands whose discographies I listen to daily, and highly recommend:

First, the Super Furry Animals, a highly creative Welsh band whose output is extremely diverse, and whose discography is well worth a listen:

And second, Soul Coughing, an awesome, but sadly short-lived band, with a very peculiar sound that mixed elements of pop, jazz, funk, hip-hop, drum and bass, spoken word, among other genres:

Any fans of the bands in here? :giggle:

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I also dipped back into my love for Mogwai -- a Scottish post-rock band -- and went through their early stuff, which is significantly mellower than the later albums.

Yay, Mogwai is awesome! I discovered them 2 years ago thanks to Life Is Strange, which has the song "Kids will be skeletons", and I liked it so much that I decided to check their discography. They have some truly weird stuff, but when they sound good, they sound good. I prefer their latest stuff, particularly the albums Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will and Every Country's Sun. The Hawk Is Howling is also great, if a little tiring. It's completely instrumental, a couple of songs seem to drag on a bit too long, and there are a bunch of moments where absolutely nothing happens, but that's not enough to make me dislike it. And Mr. Beast has one of the best first halves I've heard in any album, although the second one is way inferior in my opinion (it's not bad, but it doesn't compare to the sheer awesomeness of the first 4 tracks, except for "Friend of the night" which is one of my favorite Mogwai songs). Had it been a 6-track EP ending with that song, it would have been pure perfection. I'm not gonna complain about having the extra songs though, because as I said, they aren't bad, just OK.

The band came here this year, so of course I went to see them. They played most of the last album (naturally, since they were touring it), but sadly they only played one song from Hardcore, and it wasn't one of my favorites. Despite that, it was still a fantastic show, although pretty short.

As for the song you posted, I liked it! I only listened to Ten Rapid once, and it didn't leave a good impression. None of the songs stood out at the time, so it's nice to realize that there's some enjoyable material there. It's no surprise, though: it took me a long time to appreciate their debut, and I still think Come On Die Young is a terrible album. Guess I'm not really a fan of their earlier stuff. That said, you convinced me to give it another chance, so I hope to change my mind.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Yay, Mogwai is awesome! I discovered them 2 years ago thanks to Life Is Strange, which has the song "Kids will be skeletons", and I liked it so much that I decided to check their discography. They have some truly weird stuff, but when they sound good, they sound good. I prefer their latest stuff, particularly the albums Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will and Every Country's Sun. The Hawk Is Howling is also great, if a little tiring. It's completely instrumental, a couple of songs seem to drag on a bit too long, and there are a bunch of moments where absolutely nothing happens, but that's not enough to make me dislike it. And Mr. Beast has one of the best first halves I've heard in any album, although the second one is way inferior in my opinion (it's not bad, but it doesn't compare to the sheer awesomeness of the first 4 tracks, except for "Friend of the night" which is one of my favorite Mogwai songs). Had it been a 6-track EP ending with that song, it would have been pure perfection. I'm not gonna complain about having the extra songs though, because as I said, they aren't bad, just OK.

The band came here this year, so of course I went to see them. They played most of the last album (naturally, since they were touring it), but sadly they only played one song from Hardcore, and it wasn't one of my favorites. Despite that, it was still a fantastic show, although pretty short.

As for the song you posted, I liked it! I only listened to Ten Rapid once, and it didn't leave a good impression. None of the songs stood out at the time, so it's nice to realize that there's some enjoyable material there. It's no surprise, though: it took me a long time to appreciate their debut, and I still think Come On Die Young is a terrible album. Guess I'm not really a fan of their earlier stuff. That said, you convinced me to give it another chance, so I hope to change my mind.
If someone said that Mogwai are the stars, I would not object.

I went deep into post-rock after I got into Sigur Ros -- thank you, The Life Aquatic! Binged on Explosions in the Sky for a long time. Eventually, I found Mogwai. My favorite album is actually Come On Die Young, funny enough. I found the later albums strayed a little too much from the simple melancholy that that album evoked. My absolute favorite song is still Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home. I actually happened to move out of my parents' place at the time, and that album and song helped get me through that transition! Mogwai Fear Satan is also has such an amazing explosive quality to it. I do generally like all their albums, but their early and latest work are my favorite. Hardcore Will Never Die and Every Country's Sun are fantastic records for sure. The latter in particular; I love the noisy/low-fi sound of it. Don't think there's a single song on there that I dislike.

Speaking of 6 track EPs, did you listen to EP+6? That has a couple of absolute gems on it too.

Reactions: RionaaM and lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
If someone said that Mogwai are the stars, I would not object.

I went deep into post-rock after I got into Sigur Ros -- thank you, The Life Aquatic! Binged on Explosions in the Sky for a long time. Eventually, I found Mogwai. My favorite album is actually Come On Die Young, funny enough. I found the later albums strayed a little too much from the simple melancholy that that album evoked. My absolute favorite song is still Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home. I actually happened to move out of my parents' place at the time, and that album and song helped get me through that transition! Mogwai Fear Satan is also has such an amazing explosive quality to it. I do generally like all their albums, but their early and latest work are my favorite. Hardcore Will Never Die and Every Country's Sun are fantastic records for sure. The latter in particular; I love the noisy/low-fi sound of it. Don't think there's a single song on there that I dislike.

Speaking of 6 track EPs, did you listen to EP+6? That has a couple of absolute gems on it too.

I... acquired that EP from a not-so-legit source, since it's not available for streaming on Google Play Music, but I haven't listened to it yet. Just gave your song a go: it's pleasant, but a little too repetitive for my taste. It's too long for what it offers. But certainly not bad at all. I should go through the rest of this EP one of these days.

"Yes! I am a long way from home" and "Mogwai fear Satan" are two amazing songs indeed. The former has a lot of energy, it's like everything right in the world condensed in a single song; the latter is pure madness combined with the purest peace.

It's funny that you mention Sigur Ros, I started listening to them and Godspeed You! Black Emperor this year, after reading a bit about post rock online. I really liked them, they have some truly great stuff. Of the albums I've heard so far, my favorites are Ágætis Byrjun and Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. They sound unlike any other band I'd ever listened to. By the way, if you have any more post rock stuff to recommend, I'm all ears :D

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
It's not a new song, but it's one that I can't help but keep coming back to, especially with all the recent complications I've had....The Cry of Mankind by My Dying Bride. Not only is it borderline perfect for a song that breaks the 10 minute mark (granted the outro fade could be trimmed...) but I've yet to find a bad cover of it...even found an 8bit cover version that's good (although the timing seems odd...)

Last edited:

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
I love Bandcamp. How often can you stumble across awesome stuff at name your price? (all their stuff is good!)

Wonder if the NYP model could ever come to Steam

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
Couple of jazzy, percussion focused pieces -

Worlds apart in execution and tone, but quite fun to follow along with!

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
incoming alot of recommends, i listen to alot of metal/trash alot of it is mostly heavier or faster than metallica but the vocals dont normally reach death metal (their is a few outliers and any songs linked ill tag them as such)

Amon Amarth - Tattered banners bloody flags ( i guess ill say viking death metal but dam those drums are sesual)

Dark Angel - Darkness Decends ( the original creators of the drumming part of metallica - one before they did it :p ) plus gene hoglan is a fucking legend

Dark Angel - Death is certain ( again gene hoglan is a beats on drums)

Desaster - End of tyranny ( its just epic, some may not like the singer though)

Destroyer 666 - Trialed by fire ( honestly the guitars are sesual )

Firewind - the fire and the fury (one of the best metal instrumentals Gus G is pure boss)

Lazarus A.D. - Thou shall not fear ( sounds kinder cheesy in someways but really cool :D )

Machine Head - Halo (i dunno 9minutes of pure metal sesualness ? and the whole blackening album is good)

Machine Head - Hallowed by thy name ( yea i know most covers are absolute shit, but this is actually pretty dam well decent, its kinder nice when a cover doesnt try to sound exactly like that song and does their style on it but also rock it)

Neurosis - Purify (i dunno what to put this as its very different)

NightWish - Last of the wilds live ( this is pure awesome )

Powermad - B.N.R (one of the best intros to a song by far honestly)

Testament - the pale king ( 3:20 onwards the mixture of guitar with gene hoglan drumming is just straight sesual. )

Therion - lepaca kliffoth (i dunno what the hell to describe it as but i like this shit :D ) (riders of theli is another i like)

Trivium - Sever the hand ( trivium released an albulm in 2017 that went quite unkown and frankly has some exceptional drumming and guitars 2:00 onwards)

Warbeast - Born with a blackened heart (1:27 onwards is pure sesual honest)

Warbringer - when the guns fell silent ( this song means alot to me if you dont listen to anything else atleast this one)

Warbringer - treacherous tongue (one of the best song outro's)

Warpath - Life unworthy of life ( these guys really could shredd and some of the best solos i find, i also know the singer :D)

Warpath - Infernal (3:30 is pure fucking sesual)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
incoming alot of recommends, i listen to alot of metal/trash alot of it is mostly heavier or faster than metallica but the vocals dont normally reach death metal (their is a few outliers and any songs linked ill tag them as such)
now that is A LOT of good music! 🤘🤘🤘

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
have some more

Arcassicauda - garden of stones ( a metal band from Baghdad who loves metallica)

Evile - In dreams of terror (its just cool)

Evile - In memoriam ( song is sad basist died young due to blood clot in lung and this is song from that )

Desaster - Damnatio ad bestias (i really like the drums) (2:11 onwards deserves a porg)

Exmortus - metal is king ( some sesual solos)

Kataklysm - blood on the swans (certain death metal, and the day drummer wished death on himself lol, he could actually do this live too :D )

Onslaught - The sound of violence (one of my fav solos)

Trivium - strife (their best song)

TÝR - Hold The Heathen Hammer High ( its cheesy but cool)

Volbeat - Evelyn (with matt heafy from trivium)

Warbringer - living weapon (sooooo good)

Woods of ypres - career suicide ( this is a bit different to other stuff i linked, again pretty sad, the singer plays all the instruments and he died after this album)

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I think my avatar lets people know about my taste in music (and I'm usually a very "close minded" person when it comes to music, because for some reason it's very hard for me to like "new" music).
Still, here's a band that's very much unlike the music I usually enjoy:

(These guys are from my city and I pretty much followed them everywhere back in the day, since they are really cool people in person). Warning, it's all in Spanish.

It's not "new" music (this is a 2002 album but they released it on Spotify last year). Still, I doubt most people here have listened to them (perhaps lashman, since he's a musical connoisseur)

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
Had some hospital time lately so because I was feeling a bit miserable I started looking at some more acoustic tracks...In Flames may have gone off the boil now, but a great track is a great track, and this version is tippity top!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Had some hospital time lately so because I was feeling a bit miserable I started looking at some more acoustic tracks...In Flames may have gone off the boil now, but a great track is a great track, and this version is tippity top!
oh, i love In Flames SO MUCH ... you have no idea!!! :)

and speaking of different takes on In Flames tracks:

Reactions: Nahkapukki and xist