Community New music / recommendations

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
To celebrate We Happy Few "Lighbearer" DLC release next week here's a playlist of "The Make Believes" a band they created from local musicians to provide music for the game and an in-game universe band for Nick Lightbearer a huge star in the game.

The Make Believes - OST Tracks

Two other tracks from one from another artist:

The music in this game nailed the tone perfectly in my view.

OP

Deleted member 113

Speaking of game soundtracks that nailed the tone of the game perfectly, I always had a soft spot for Evil Genius.
Besides some lovely in-game character animations, the game has a soundtrack that perfectly captured the 60's Eurospy genre.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
FunktionJCB Licensing Hell i believe. Someone tracked down the most likely owner but they weren't interested at the time. There again wasn't there a tweet from Deep Dive a few weeks ago giving a hint not to give up hope just yet?

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP

Deleted member 113

FunktionJCB Licensing Hell i believe. Someone tracked down the most likely owner but they weren't interested at the time. There again wasn't there a tweet from Deep Dive a few weeks ago giving a hint not to give up hope just yet?
Yeah, it's a complex rights situation.

Without wanting to derail the music thread any further, from what I understand Fox (who was the publisher of the original game) owned some of the ip, Activision (through the extinct Sierra) had some of the ip rights as well, Warner had the actual games, or at least part of the code (from the purchase of developer Monolith Productions), and no one seems very interested in doing something with it.

I would love to see a proper No One Lives Forever 3, but Monolith Productions really isn't the same team that did the original games (and Contract J.A.C.K.).
But still, I would welcome remasters of all the games, especially so that those who missed the series could get to experience the insanity, and just plain fun, that the series provided.

Falexandre

Dec 7, 2018
Ornatos Violeta - Capitão Romance (featuring Violent Femmes's Gordon Gano,singing in Portuguese)

Tiago Bettencourt - Canção de Engate

JP Simões - Inquietação

A NAIFA - Bolero Do Coronel Sensível Que Fez Amor Em Monsanto

OP

Deleted member 113

Since my fellow Portuguese Meta member Falexandre keeps posting music in Portuguese, something I've been meaning to do as well, I can't resist posting a few Portuguese tracks I enjoy (older, 80's tracks).

I apologize in advance for the long post, but since it will be mostly a one time thing, I'm covering some of my favourite local bands.

Just an idea: it would be great to have members from other non-English speaking countries posting music in their own languages (maybe it's something that warrants it's own thread?).
It's always great to hear about other people's cultures.

And, out of curiosity, it would be fun to hear from non-Portuguese speaking members what they think of these tracks, since they are sung on a language that probably sounds "alien" to them. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Falexandre

Dec 7, 2018
Since my fellow Portuguese Meta member Falexandre keeps posting music in Portuguese, something I've been meaning to do as well, I can't resist posting a few Portuguese tracks I enjoy (older, 80's tracks).

I apologize in advance for the long post, but since it will be mostly a one time thing, I'm covering some of my favourite local bands.

<snip>

Just an idea: it would be great to have members from other non-English speaking countries posting music in their own languages (maybe it's something that warrants it's own thread?).
It's always great to hear about other people's cultures.

And, out of curiosity, it would be fun to hear from non-Portuguese speaking members what they think of these tracks, since they are sung on a language that probably sounds "alien" to them. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
A trip down memory lane(y). I was born in 79, so I was still a child when they came out, but I've learned to appreciate 80's music. Not a fan of Xutos?

Regarding non-english songs, I think this thread already covers it. I mean, there's plenty of german, japanese and even k-pop music here. Love your recommendations, Luminaire.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Let's start with the classics

- Cerys Matthews - Sospan Fach - Non-Welsh know this from Howl's Moving Castle.

- Cerys Matthews - Calon Lan

- Bryn Terfel - Ar Hyd Yr Nos - Not my favourite version but i'm trying to avoid too much Cerys Matthews and let others have a go.

- Ffynnon & Lynne Denman - The oldest Welsh Lullaby: Dinogad's Smock (Pais Dinogad) - 6th Century?

- Meinir Gwilym - Dim ond yn fama

- Meinir Gwilym - Gwallgo

- Charlotte Church - Suo Gan ( Empire of the Sun )

30 - 3!
Say no more ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
EdwardTivrusky No Super Furry Animals, Gruff Rhys, nor Gorky's Zygotic Mynci? ;)
Speaking of Gruff Rhys, it's a good opportunity to post his new single:
I started with the classics and have a list of more modern Welsh music here to put up. I even messaged my mate who's still back home and DJ's on local hospital radio, speaks to Martin Atkins now and then and we also used to see the Super Furry's in the pub. Expect some Budgie, mclusky, Brechiau Hir and i'll try my best to filter out most of the side projects from the Super Furry's but they're prolific so i can't promise anything!

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP

Deleted member 113

I started with the classics and have a list of more modern Welsh music here to put up. I even messaged my mate who's still back home and DJ's on local hospital radio, speaks to Martin Atkins now and then and we also used to see the Super Furry's in the pub. Expect some Budgie, mclusky, Brechiau Hir and i'll try my best to filter out most of the side projects from the Super Furry's but they're prolific so i can't promise anything!
Awesome! ;)

Because of SFA, and its members, I listen to quite a bit of Welsh music (despite rarely understanding a word without a translation on the side :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: ).
I actually travelled to the UK just to watch them live 3 times (and once for Gruff Rhys). :giggle:

And you are right, they have so many side-projects or collaborations.
I try to follow them as well (Gulp, Zephyr Wolves, ...), but it's not always easy. :)

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Falexandre It's probably just me but the tone of the guitars and some of the style in the "Linda Martini com Ana Moura - Se Me Agiganto" video reminded me of Red Sparowes so i had to go and listen to a bunch of their tracks after listening to that one. I'm usually listening to them anyway but any excuse to listen to them more is a good one!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
That Bronski Beat song wasn't there when i clicked like! lol!
Not that it's bad song but i was agreeing with you liking the Coffins' track!

Reactions: JackPineSavage

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
That reminds me!

It's Summer! Time for... The infamous! The legendary! Ryan Davis presents Taswell's "The Realest Summer Jams"!

RIP Ryan!

Never Forgotten!

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
So i seem to have accidentally joined an FC/Free Company/Guild in FFXIV so i looked up the name and it turns out they're a Japanese Fantasy Rock Opera band and although we're not anime, it's close. I've had their stuff on all morning and they may be going into rotation. Think big orchestral rock songs you know sweeping strings and guitars with a touch of theatre. They, well, REVO the guy behind it all composed the Bravely Default OST.

Sound Horizon/Linked Horizon - Bravely Default - Live Concert

... Which gives me an excuse to post these too!

Some background: The Black Mages performed Prog-Pock/Metal covers of Final Fantasy music, most notably the Boss themes, composed and performed by Uematsu, Fukui and Sekito themselves. Starting in 2002 they disbanded in 2010 as they were increasingly busy and some had left SE so it was difficult to continue such an SE heavy project while not working for SE. They made 3 albums and all are amazing. Check 'em out.

The Black Mages III - Darkness and Starlight - Live - 2008

This just popped up on the playlist and Linked Horizon sure know how to put on a show!
At about 09:30 The Attack on Titan Main Theme they wrote is epic, still haven't seen much of AoT itself yet though.

Last edited:
OP

Deleted member 113

Earlier today, I spent a few hours playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 (chill game) to complete the latest in-game event, and my soundtrack was Big Audio Dynamite, the band Mick Jones formed when he left The Clash.

Mixing rock, with anything from African rhythms, dance music elements, and the use of plenty of samples (both musical, and movie dialogues), their music remains very enjoyable to listen to.