Community New music / recommendations

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm going to a music festival in my home town tomorrow. It's been a while since I've been at that festival (actually the last time I was there, Guns 'n Roses, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were headliners so it may have been longer ago than "a while" 😊) so I don't know the majority of the groups performing there.

Here's the line-up for tommorow:

Anything you guys can recommend me?
i crumbled into dust after reading that list

i don't recognize a single name

:suicide-blob:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Tame Impala is pretty damn good!
I'll be sure to see them! Thanks m8!

Haha join the club! 😊

I know Gossip and The Subs, but that's it. Some of these groups may be local talent, but Pukkelpop also has a reputation of lining up groups that are about to make it. Sadly there are too many stages to see them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman
OP

Deleted member 113

I'm going to a music festival in my home town tomorrow. It's been a while since I've been at that festival (actually the last time I was there, Guns 'n Roses, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were headliners so it may have been longer ago than "a while" 😊) so I don't know the majority of the groups performing there.

Ah, Pukkelpop. I remember seeing live performances on TV from that festival. :)

I look at that roster of performers, and I feel rather old, since I don't know most of them. :giggle:
And those I do know, I can't say I particularly care about.

If it was me, I would definitely go watch Eels, would probably check the dj set of Mike D (Beastie Boys), and, if I was insanely bored, maybe Hot Chip.

Falexandre

Dec 7, 2018

Not even the Eels?

Jorja Smith was at a festival near Lisbon last month, and people like it. The worse they said was that she should have been on the main stage.
And Royal Blood is pretty cool too.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019

Tame Impala slaps, Basement is dope af, and The Chats are a pretty fun punk band but Basement and Tame Impala are the real winners there afaic.

Mike D is one of the Beastie Boys so there's novelty in that but tbh his DJ set I saw at Riot Fest left a lot to be desired

Reactions: Ge0force

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
More stuff to share. Very Japan-heavy this time around.

Shadow of Intent
"Embracing Nocturnal Damnation"
Symphonic Melodic Death / Black / Deathcore
Album of the year. It lives up to my every expectation, which is absurdly high because their previous works were so, so good. Wondrous guitar work, otherworldly growls, a devilish blackened symphonic touch, and a musical evolution that puts many other acts to shame. It says a lot when I can picture the sound they're getting across.

Broken By The Scream
"アイハキミノモノ"
Alt-Idol / Jpop / Deathcore / Death Metal
Adorable deathcore/death metal. They're crazy and I love them. The guitarist is a monster. I wonder what other projects the band has worked on...

Unlucky Morpheus

"KIZASI"
Symphonic / Heavy Metal
A nice, heavy and melodic power metal / heavy metal track that really lets Fuki's fantastic voice shine.

Weki Meki

"Tiki-Taka(99%)"
Kpop
Another fun summer bop. Really catchy and pretty.

Sable Hills

"Juggernaut"
Melodic Death Metal / Metalcore
I've been following these guys for a few years and it's been great to see how they continue to evolve and get more aggressive and dark with each release.

Yanakotto Sotto Mute

"Stain"
Alt-Idol / JPop / JRock / Grunge
An oft-melancholic group with an emphasis on live performances. Their vocalists are very strong and the instrumentals are usually a grungy rock sound.

A Ghost of Flare

"Dark Cage"
Melodic Death Metal / Metalcore
I found these guys around the same time I found Sable Hills. They've been going in a little more thrashy/punkish direction and I've enjoyed how intense and energetic they've become.

REGiNA KiSS

凌霄花
Jpop / Jrock / Alt-Idol
I really love this group. They're former idols who quit the industry, formed up with their band that was previously behind the scenes, and re-launched as a pop/rock unit with all members visible/present. The vocalists are amazing and they work so very well together. They're a criminally underrated and overlooked group.

Seireki13ya

ヨクトアステリズム
Jpop / Dance / Alt-Idol
A bouncy, fun, cutesy song from a newcomer group. I've been curious to see where they end up, as most groups on their label are pretty dark.

SHACHI

"One Day"
Jpop / Rap
Suzukawa Mashiro's career has gone some interesting places. I've been following her work since her first project, Deep Girl, and she's grown to be a pretty great artist. From horrorpop/deathpop idol to electronica to rap. She has a unique soft voice that flows quite well. I do hope she goes back to the deathpop at some point.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The Pukkelpop festival was great, so many good concerts and DJ sets! 😍

Falexandre thank you so much for recommending Jorja Smith! More than once she reminded me of Amy Whinehouse, giving me goosebumps with her amazing voice! My friends liked her a lot as well. Let's hope she'll make it to main stage next year.

Another huge surprise for me was Meute. It's a German group making techno music with fanfare instruments. Yes, really. I'm not sure it's something to listen to at work, but their live performance was nothing but amazing. The crowd went crazy!

I've also enjoyed the performance of Gossip. I'm not sure it was necessarily for Beth to show her ass in front of 100.000 people, but her voice and songs are really good. Anne-Marie also surprised me with her great voice. Eels and The Streets were very good as well.

Sadly it rained all day, so I've spent much time in the dance hall and boiler room. Paul Kalkbrenner, Sam Paganini and Stephen Bodzin were really, really good. Also, the light effects in the boiler room were f*cking amazing with more than 300 multicolor lasers!

One last thing: it seems the festivals zero tolerance policy against drugs only applies to the visitors. The singer of The Subs was sniffing lines of coke while on big screens during his performance. Such behavior may have been cool in the 80's, but nowadays no one was actually impressed.

Last edited:
OP

Deleted member 113

whoa! yet to watch tenbrae but this got me even more exited, that's the movie that had the soundtrack made by goblin right?
More or less, but not quite. :)

Goblin made several soundtracks for Argento films (Profondo Rosso/Deep Red, Suspiria, Non ho sonno/Sleepless), but in this case, the soundtrack was made by 3 members of Goblin, listed as solo artists (because they had disbanded, and one of the other members owned the band's name).

If you are unfamiliar with their work with Argento, you are in for a treat. ;)
Their soundtracks are awesome, especially if you like prog rock, or "classic" synth sound.
Here are a few samples:

(the track proper starts at around 1:23)

They came back as a band for the soundtrack of Non Ho Sonno (aka Sleepless), after many years apart, and the main theme of that movie is classic 70's Goblin, in the 21st century. (y)

Reactions: JackPineSavage

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
More or less, but not quite. :)

Goblin made several soundtracks for Argento films (Profondo Rosso/Deep Red, Suspiria, Non ho sonno/Sleepless), but in this case, the soundtrack was made by 3 members of Goblin, listed as solo artists (because they had disbanded, and one of the other members owned the band's name).

If you are unfamiliar with their work with Argento, you are in for a treat. ;)
Their soundtracks are awesome, especially if you like prog rock, or "classic" synth sound.
Here are a few samples:

(the track proper starts at around 1:23)

They came back as a band for the soundtrack of Non Ho Sonno (aka Sleepless), after many years apart, and the main theme of that movie is classic 70's Goblin, in the 21st century. (y)
Wow thanks for the recommendations man! The first song is really good and i'm gonna listen to the rest of them after it. I think I'm gonna enjoy them Argento movies.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
I've been on a vocaloid metal kick lately, so have my newest discovery.

okameP
"Bygone World"
Vocaloid / Metal / Electronic
okameP is a little more sane than Utsu-P. He doesn't make the vocaloids scream/growl, but he's got a real knack for creating really pretty, melancholic, and heavy tracks with a lot of electronic backing to them. He's got two albums up on Spotify currently and a bunch of singles/EPs.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've been on a vocaloid metal kick lately, so have my newest discovery.

okameP
"Bygone World"
Vocaloid / Metal / Electronic
okameP is a little more sane than Utsu-P. He doesn't make the vocaloids scream/growl, but he's got a real knack for creating really pretty, melancholic, and heavy tracks with a lot of electronic backing to them. He's got two albums up on Spotify currently and a bunch of singles/EPs.
This is really good.
Unlucky Morpheus
"KIZASI"
Symphonic / Heavy Metal
A nice, heavy and melodic power metal / heavy metal track that really lets Fuki's fantastic voice shine.
This too!
Thanks for sharing and I really appreciate the little descriptions for each band/song :)

Reactions: Luminaire
OP

Deleted member 113

If anyone is the mood to hear some Portuguese electronic music, a friend of mine just re-released his latest album on Bandcamp:

It's mostly instrumental, but a couple of tracks have vocals, one of them by David J (Bauhaus, Love and Rockets).
As a side note, the liner notes for the album were done by Alan Wilder (Recoil, ex-Depeche Mode).

If anyone's interested in listening to a few tracks, do check MHALDOR'S SOLITUDE, RED/BLACK, and LOCUST SWARM.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
^

I'd always imagined Nightwish as sounding more like Cradle of Filth or something

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
^

I'd always imagined Nightwish as sounding more like Cradle of Filth or something
that's not exactly Nightwish .... that's more of a Holopainen + Hietala collab they did for a movie ... it was always credited as that until they eventually put it on a Nightwish album 4 years later for some reason :p but for all intents and purposes it's not a Nightwish song

Reactions: teezzy