Community New music / recommendations

OP

Deleted member 113

bobnowhere Monster had some great tracks, despite being a bit uneven.

For example. the single Bang and Blame never clicked with me.

But, I always had a soft spot for some tracks like:

I know some people can't stand Tongue, but I rather enjoy it. :)

Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Monster is probably the 2nd or 3rd CD I ever bought with my own money as a kid. The First was Use Your Illusion 2, I was the best Squash player that week in my city and the prize was a $30 voucher to the CD store, and then probably Lemon. Still have all 3.

Let Me In is probably my favourite song of all time.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
I still need to sit down with Fear Inoculum. It's good but I'm not nearly as attached to it as I am their previous albums. In time.

Waaaaay more excited for new Deftones. Aoty I'm calling it now

Reactions: Deleted member 113

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Words can't describe just how well this hits the spot rn.

What a stressful Sunday; dear lord. Just look at how powerful and commanding their stage presence is. It's exactly what I needed.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Now winter is peering over the horizon i have an urge to return to Lucis and start the DLC episodes.
I think it's because i started playing this earworm in my head the last few days.

I unironically really, really liked FFXV.

Reactions: teezzy

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I'll be listening to it today.
I've been listening to this album again in anticipation of her new album which comes out hopefully very soon. It's sooo damn good :minos_dj:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Guys, what would you recommend to listen for bass heavy jazz? I'm not a big jazz person, but recently I'm on a bass kick and genres that I usually listen to severely lacking, to put it respectfully, in complex bass lines or even just plain groove.

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
Guys, what would you recommend to listen for bass heavy jazz? I'm not a big jazz person, but recently I'm on a bass kick and genres that I usually listen to severely lacking, to put it respectfully, in complex bass lines or even just plain groove.
Mingus my man, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus and Ah Um albums for a start. He was a pretty good bassist and a great band leader.

also not jazz but have to recommend the all time best bass player in finland Pekka Pohjola. he has some very good albums.

not the most complex but groovy well mixed bass

Last edited:
Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Mingus my man, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus and Ah Um albums for a start. He was a pretty good bassist and a great band leader.

also not jazz but have to recommend the all time best bass player in finland Pekka Pohjola. he has some very good albums.

not the most complex but groovy well mixed bass
Thanks! I love this almost film noir feeling that 50s-60s jazz has. Then there's a fact that it allows to showcase their skill to almost every band member is fantastic as well, I usually listen to classical music or something heavier than I need my instrumental fix, but orchestra is a completely different beast to a small band, and bass in metal in 95% cases worse than bass in Japanese pop-rock (dude playing nothing but roots to support guitar is boring).

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
Thanks! I love this almost film noir feeling that 50s-60s jazz has. Then there's a fact that it allows to showcase their skill to almost every band member is fantastic as well, I usually listen to classical music or something heavier than I need my instrumental fix, but orchestra is a completely different beast to a small band, and bass in metal in 95% cases worse than bass in Japanese pop-rock (dude playing nothing but roots to support guitar is boring).
also even if he's more like prog but listen to some pekka pohjola albums too, one of the most technically greatest bass players ever and a great composer too. that is if you don't hate progressive rock style stuff lol

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
also even if he's more like prog but listen to some pekka pohjola albums too, one of the most technically greatest bass players ever and a great composer too. that is if you don't hate progressive rock style stuff lol

Nah, I like prog, the only music style I can't stand is K-Pop of overproduced eurobeat variety and even they got better with time. Other than that I don't discriminate. :giggle:

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
Nah, I like prog, the only music style I can't stand is K-Pop of overproduced eurobeat variety and even they got better with time.
i bought 5 pekka albums back before no spotify and love every one of them and just edited another to my last post lol. he's not that well known outside finland except for dj shadow fans who sampled some of pekkas work.

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
More stuff, maybe someone will find something they like! I've been listening to a lot of jpop and rap lately. Probably because I'm still listening to Shadow of Intent's new album over and over, so that's consuming my metal mood most of the time.

4s4ki
Innocence
Jpop / Rap / Hip-hop
4s4ki (previously known as Asaki) is a wonderful artist who raps and singers her heart out, usually touching on difficult things such as her own depression and anxiety. She often has a very depressive and sombre tone, but her works are incredible. She has such a lovely tone and voice that touches your heart with icy fingers. Her latest EP "NEMNEM" is on spotify. It's really good and I keep looping it, even though its pretty short.

CLC
Devil
Kpop
CLC takes a Red Velvet approach to things. RV is known for being murderous in their music videos alongside just outright antagonizing one another. The song itself also sounds like a Red Velvet style jam. That said, I do love it. The rap break is great and the song has an overall fun feel to it while still keeping a sense of sass and fierceness. It's a bit less intense than their other tracks, but CLC is a rather versatile group.

Shachi
Tokyo
Jpop / Hip-hop
More SHACHI. Mashiro has such a soothing voice and the piano really brings out a sense of serenity with the beat. It's a perfect track for a rainy day.

Eye of the Enemy
Clay
Melodic Death Metal
I thought this group was dead! AH! I'm happy. They make such crushing and melodic tracks. I really missed their unique style that stands out amongst many others. The video is kinda touching as well, with a bit of a storyline to it. My only complaint is that the piano intro is a bit too long, but it makes sense with the piano outro.

The Birthday Massacre
One
Rock / Synthpop
I used to listen to this band a lot in school. They were one of my favorite groups. Their music was both heavy and beautiful, with a melancholic serenity to it that seemed to paint pictures with sounds. I remember spending hours on their first website just watching how pretty it was, learning all about the members, and being fascinated with the sound and style they produced. As I grew deeper into death metal, I kinda pulled away from them simply out of not engaging with pop and rock for a while. However, they popped back up in my head and I've found they're still putting out gorgeous music. This song is great and has their trademark sound all throughout it.

Yourself(answer)
秀吉a.k.a.自称アイドルラッパー
Jpop / Rap
I just stumbled across this while double checking a link. Quite good rap/hip hop track with a pretty chorus by Asaki (not 4s4ki, confusing I know.) Good beat, pretty piano, and the flows are quite nice. I haven't had a chance to check the lyrics but it seems fairly melancholic.

Dreamcatcher
Breaking Out
Kpop / Rock
Dreamcatcher is one of my favorite groups. They were previously a standard pop idol unit who snapped at one point and went really dark. After a name change and new members, they started mixing in rock and gothic elements to their pop songs while embracing horror and dark fantasy themes. They've been a huge hit in South Korea and are one of the most unique groups out there due to their jrock sound. They recently put out a track for their first Japanese release, and it's quite good. Some nice crisp guitar along the chorus. Really good choreography and the rap breaks are a treat, even though they'd likely flow better in Korean.

Orbit Culture
Redfog
Melodic Death Metal
I'm posting this because I absolutely love this band and they just posted a teaser on their site. What's it for? I don't know, but I'm ever so excited. Their album "Rasen" is a masterpiece. It's crafted extremely well and one of the heaviest albums I've heard in many years. It's easily a top ten of all time for me. Their follow-up EP Redfog is an evolution, expanding their sound a bit more while really exploring how to make a song progress and grow as it goes along. Redfog is escalates so beautifully. Every piece of it is building up to something and upon something until it gets to this devastating breaking point that is just an explosion of aggression and energy.

Last edited:

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Sometimes my heart leads to me nice places.

ELFENSJóN
Hexenjagd
Melodic / Symphonic Metal
Gorgeous female vocals over symphonic heavy metal with a progressive tinge to it. Lots of piano littered about. ELFENSJoN is a project between a group of artists both visual and aural. The project has some really fantastic art that I'm in love with and the music is tip top.

ASH OF ROUGE

DystopiaGround
受け継がれる真説
Melodic Rock
This one has a bit of a softer, more rock feel to it with a bit more of a poppy tone. The guitars have a nice tone to them and the solo is wonderful. I love the vocals. They pair nicely with the gentle tones during the verses and sweep highly during the strong chorus.

UtsuP
The Beautiful Puke
Metal / Vocaloid Metal / Metalcore
UtsuP's new album is sounding wonderfully intense. Even a decade-ish later, I'm still impressed that UtsuP and a few other producers managed to get vocaloids like Hatsune Miku to scream/growl and make it work.

Venomous Spider Daughter

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Don't think i've posted these yet but i saw The Goats live at Phoenix Festival in the UK back in the 90s and they were amazing with their live band.
Mad underrated group now remixed and shown with some long lost rehersal tapes. Anyone with this kind of flow and sound now-a-days?

Some day i'll post something not from the 90s but i reckon there's not enough Pharcyde either.