News New Steam Update changes recommendation algorithm

Chairmanchuck

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

“[C]ustomers in the experiment group were more likely to click on the games shown in the recommendations section, at a rate almost 15% higher than the control group,” they said. “The increased personalization means there is an even greater variety of games being shown in this section, and customer impressions are more evenly distributed among them.

“To get a feel for the breadth of titles that were being visited, we measured how many games members of the experiment group visited via the ‘Recommended For You’ section compared to a sample of customers who were not in the experiment for a few days. The results were very promising: we saw a 75% increase in the number of unique games visited, and a 48% increase in the average visits per game.”

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
it's already implemented
I meant more when I'm at home and steam shows me better recommendations - smaller, less known games instead of only blockbusters, anime, and/or mmos, then I will believe it's better. So I guess I won't believe it for the better part of another 6 or so hours, give or take transit time.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I meant more when I'm at home and steam shows me better recommendations - smaller, less known games instead of only blockbusters, anime, and/or mmos, then I will believe it's better. So I guess I won't believe it for the better part of another 6 or so hours, give or take transit time.
hopefully not much longer than that, lol ;)

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Is there a way to prevent ALL games from being shown on the store? I'm spending enough money as is, so this will only ensure my wallet hates me even more :cry:

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
hopefully not much longer than that, lol ;)
Gotta finish work before I worry about transit (work will be most of that 6 hours). don't tell them im here awaiting steam updates 🤫

There's going to be twitter hell to pay if any store pages get a hit less than they did yesterday.
At this point, if every Valve change going forward isn't a rising tide raises all ships day1, there will be twitter outrage and a certain trolly CEO willing to swoop in and make a mountain out of it.. Hopefully this helps those games that get like 2 or 3 views a week and not more eyes for assassin's creed <subtitle>

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Gotta finish work before I worry about transit (work will be most of that 6 hours). don't tell them im here awaiting steam updates 🤫
the entire point of working for a boss is to work as little as possible ;)