|OT| New World (Amazon Game Studios) News & Discussion Thread

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Release Date: [/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Spring 2021[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL] | P[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]ricing Model: [/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Buy to Play[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL] | [/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Store Page: [/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Steam[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]What Is New World?[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
New World is an Open World MMO set on the fictional and the supernatural island of Aeternum in the 17th century. The game is set in an alternate-history in the twilight of the Age of Exploration, and takes place on the fictional and supernatural island of Aeternum in the 17th century. In this New World, players carve their destiny alongside hundreds of other players in a wild and supernatural 17th century world. You'll need to band together to keep fortified strongholds against other players and hostile creatures. There is no class, but instead, players can play and progress how they want. Players can create builds customized to their preference through our Weapon Mastery, Attributes, and Endless Tradeskill Progression systems.

New World is set to launch on August 25, 2020, on PC (Steam). It's a premium MMO. Buy once, play for free forever (B2P), not F2P nor P2P with subscriptions.

Character Progression
To survive and thrive in New World you will need to overcome many challenges, learning new skills and abilities as you adventure forward. Characters progress across three major categories: Core Attributes, Trade Skills, and Weapon Mastery. While you are free to master as many or as few weapons and Trade Skills as you like, your Core Attributes ultimately govern a large part of how powerful you are relative to the various hostile creatures and other players in Aeternum.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Crafting in New World[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
When you arrive at Aeternum, you will immediately face challenges to overcome. You will assess your surrounding, find resources to harvest and gather, and begin crafting tools to ensure your survival. Trading and crafting skills in New World are powerful tools and progress endlessly. As you progress your trade and craft skills, you will eventually be able to gather, refine and craft many powerful things. Highly skilled crafters can create items that are just as powerful as the items found in Aeternum. Battles will not be won based on whether an item was crafted or dropped from a powerful creature, they’ll be won based on the skill of the players involved and the thought they have put into their respective Attribute and Mastery builds.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Player Housing[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Player Housing is an exciting recent addition to New World. This highly requested feature will give players the opportunity to acquire and personalize homes across Aeternum. We want players to feel like they have roots in the world, feel a sense of security, and stability in a threatening and unpredictable land. When a player finds a place to call home in a Settlement, they are joining a community of allies, skilled crafters, adventuring partners, and even adversaries. Players can invest in making their house in Aeternum feel like a home with furniture and decorations, pets, and Trophies that give them bonuses on their adventures or in their favorite Trade Skills.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Settlements and Governance[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Staking a claim and working together as a community is a critical step on the path to dominance in New World. Aeternum is divided into distinct Territories, many of which have their own Settlement and Fort. To find out more on how you can own a piece of Aeternum, we sat down with Lead Systems Designer, John Liberto, to discuss the ins and outs of Settlements and governance in New World. Governors are the leaders of Companies and the rulers of Territories. They are in the unique position of being able to shape their dominion and the lives of the players who call it home. They can be a representative of the people or they can rule with an iron fist. What will you do with that power?

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]March to Battle: Factions[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Factions are powerful organizations locked in the struggle to control Aeternum. After reaching a particular milestone during the early parts of your adventure, you must choose a side in this conflict. As you adventure, you will be introduced to these three Factions: the Marauders, the Syndicate, and the Covenant. Each Faction has a set of principles and a unique motivation for wanting control of Aeternum.

The Marauders are a ruthless military force bent on establishing a free nation where anyone with the strength to do so can prosper and profit. The Syndicate is a secretive organization of boundless guile and intellect in search of forbidden knowledge to usher in a new age of enlightenment. The Covenant is a fanatical order that has charged itself with cleansing the land of heretics and defilers so that its true holy nature can flourish and justice can be restored.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Fight the World: War[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Aeternum is a place of struggle. Not only will you have to contend with the forces of Corruption, but you must also protect yourself from other players. Claiming a Territory is a good first step in establishing a foothold, providing security and resources for the days ahead, but it also puts you at greater risk when someone else wants what you have. Once the War has come to it’s climatic end, players on both sides of the conflict will be teleported off the battlefield so they can continue their adventures in Aeternum. Want to win honor and glory in the name of your Faction? Wars must be waged and the stakes couldn’t be higher. It’s winner take all. Should the attacking army prevail, they now control the Territory and everything in it. Planting a new flag in the name of their Faction and pushing the front-lines forward towards total dominance.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Fight the World: Invasions[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Aeternum is a mysterious and hostile land where you will fight to get a foothold and must be ready to defend it from invading forces... human and supernatural. In New World, when the forces of Corruption have amassed enough strength in a Territory, they lay siege to the Fort. This is called an Invasion. During the battle, the defenders must protect their Fort against escalating waves of enemies. If the forces defending the Fort are successful, the Corrupted’s army is repelled and the battle is won. If, on the other hand, the Fort falls, the Territory suffers and loses some upgrades, such as Crafting Stations, Fort gates or Fort turrets.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Interactive Map[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Media[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]State of the Game[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone played it? Climbed up on Steam global seller and lots of Twitch viewers.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
An email with the preview invite key just arrived a couple of hours ago. I guess I'm gonna join in.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The recent footage paints a lot better picture of this game than half a year ago. I'm at the point where I'm miffed Amazon is the company behind it :p.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Amazon sent me a key a few days ago so I'm installing it now. I really want a new MMORPG, but I'm not sure if this one will be what I am looking for.

Reactions: lashman
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just played for a couple of hours and reached level 10, early impressions are great!

Basically, it's like a modern classic MMO. There's no class so you can be anything and equip everything. Each weapon has its own skill tree and you gain levels by using them in combat. There are also combat attributes that you can manually assign on each level up. Trade skills are plentiful too, from gathering to crafting various gears, and even housing. People seem confuse this as a survival game, but there's no survival element at all (hunger, thirst, etc), just gathering stuff for crafting. And then there's also the system where you can gain some benefits you can choose on each level up. There are still other systems uncovered at this point, and I'm eager to explore more.

Combat is quite simple, there's light/heavy attack, block, and dodge. You can only assign up to 3 active skills though, but you can switch weapons on the fly. You can equip up to 3 weapons at a time. Since the controls are quite simple, it becomes very gamepad friendly too. With some adjustment from the Steam template, the game is fully playable with a gamepad. You only have access to 3 active skills and 3 consumables.

The game runs 60fps at 1080p in high settings, but it's dropping in crowded areas like the first settlement. There are lots of people playing the game currently, despite being in limited beta access.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I played for less time than it took to install. I had no sound in the tutorial, then had a loading screen to leave it which had music, and then no sound when it finished loading and I could play again.

• Toucan
Reactions: ISee

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i can see that they are doing land ownership but is there any farming/trade run stuff like archeage? it sounds stupid but i really enjoyed that part of the game, running back and forth with supplies and carts and changing crops based on what was needed in the economy.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And you know what, it's been too long since the last time I played a MMO where people can simply drop their stuff on the ground so that people can pick it up. Too damn long.
That's a really interesting point actually.

MMOs have strayed really far from the simulation-focused approach of the early days (and what we were envisioning for the future back then).

Last edited:
Reactions: texhnolyze

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Just received my beta key from Amazon.
That was sooner than I expected.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Well, Its changed a lot since I played it back like a year ago now? I was in the original alphas

But yeah holy shit the game would of been trashed if they released it in its current state.

My friend and I played it for like 20? Hours or so we got to level 15-16
After level 10 you can select one of 3 factions you can't group or do anything with people in the opposite faction and that lets you enable PVP (PVP can only be enabled when you're inside of a town, You can't be inside of a group with NON PVP players and vice versa)

The Hatchet Is broken as shit, I don't know how else to put it. It can somehow seemingly make you animation locked and unable to move without having an ability to actually do that and if you do actually manage to kill/damage the player doing that the end ability in that tree makes them unkillable (It's literally temporary unkillable for 45 seconds0 but if they kill someone they get 20% of max health back

Sword and shield I'd argue is second best compared to Hatchet because it has stuns and can block so well (Because duh shield)

I used Bow/Hatchet

My friend used Life Staff/Hatchet

Rifle is another ranged weapon which also has traps that can slow down opponents, problem is they're temporary and do very little damage (Although admittedly I didn't do a lot of time with rifle)

EVERYONE uses Life staff because its basically the support weapon/class but because it lets you have a movement teleport and since you can only run and teleport back to an inn once an hour Yeah... (Caveat being you can teleport more than once an hour but it costs super expensive reagents)

But overall at its current iteration PVP is complete shit, none of the weapons are balanced for anything considering the fact that it's yet another game where everyone just runs away from you unless they know they completely overpower you so actually having a legit fight is very rare

My biggest annoyance is with abilities being auto canceled the second I got tickled by anything, I had a multishot ability and a rain of arrows ability, I could potentiality instantly kill a guy who was hitting me if they were right on me but as soon as they hit me my ability gets auto canceled and put on its cooldown
So all I could do was run away and plink some arrows at them.

Not to mention the fact that gathering/crafting arrows constantly is perhaps the dumbest shit in existence, Constantly chasing turkeys for feathers, and ore for arrowheads, and then twigs... Or I can just use a hatchet which has an ability that lets me throw the axe anyways

Anyways that's me bitching about the game, I'll try the next go where supposedly it has more weapons and hopefully some changes but at this point I think it's ass.

Reactions: texhnolyze
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
From what I've read so far, there are some pressing issues with the current state of the game:
  • Weapon/class balancing (as Madventure explained well)
  • Weapon/class variety (there are too few of them, but balancing takes priority)
  • Questing (very repetitive and lack of variety, but they just hired a quest writer recently)
  • Traversal (lots of walking around, people were asking for mounts which I'm not a fan of)

But overall, the core systems work great, from exploration, crafting, economy, community, and pve. They need a lot of work on pvp side.

Reactions: Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I did like their gathering systems they had for stuff me and my friend both mentioned how it made it feel more like "Oh neat there's some berries we can pick" or whatever as opposed to "PICK BERRIES HERE" like most mmos do
Even though you do eventually get like a tracking thing when skills are high enough for specific harvesting skills

Reactions: Swenhir
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The preview event ended earlier today. There will be more preview event in November.

There are great things ahead for New World and our team...and for you! We will continue development, now armed with a vast amount of feedback, suggestions, and data. We plan to focus on adding more mid and end game content but also features that are just fun. In particular, we are working toward adding more in the areas of game modes, land mass, AI variety, additional weapon types, quest variety, and more. We are excited to share our vision for New World with you, and will continue pushing in this direction until we feel we have the right amount of content and polish for the great launch our players deserve.

Looking ahead, we will be launching our next phase of testing in November. This will be your chance to continue helping us test and develop New World. We will work very hard to keep everyone informed on our progress and improvements we make as we head towards launch. Stay tuned to NewWorld.com and @PlayNewWorld on social media for a detailed announcement on how to sign up to participate in future tests.