|OT| Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) news & discussion - No, it's not just a flu

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
This is the kind of shit some people, mostly tourists of course considering the location, are doing in hotels.

Is McAfee's freind was arrested, she was probably behaving like this:

Link for people who stop facebook shit like I do.
I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Ok, you got in the pool against the government sayings and the police got there. Get out and maybe, maybe you get just a warning and a small fine. But no, she had to taunt them.

Reactions: ISee and texhnolyze

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Well, I got laid off yesterday(along with 5 other employees) because of COVID-19.

They are temporarily closing 2 of our 5 locations, and the owner suspects we will close more by next week. I'm not too worried, as I qualify for employment insurance benefits and I have savings, and I'm pretty confident I will get my job back when we re-open. There is a voice in the back of my head telling me this is worse than I think it is, but I am trying to stay positive and view this as a chance to work on my backlog and read a ton of books.

I kinda regret using part of my tax refund on a Switch, Pro Controller, and Animal Crossing... but what can you do?

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Lets not give too much room to absolute morons like Mcaffee to promote his stupidity, please. We will no doubt come across such idiocy more often these days. Times of crisis always give rise to conspiracy nuts, but not giving them a platform is paramount to maintain sanity.

Sorry about all of you worrying about their jobs and livelihood, it is a tough time right now. I hope it will all end well eventually. We can only hope and work together to combat the spread of this fucking disease. Stay positive, guys.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just have a clothing-optional lockdown!
I sometimes just have my adidas but mostly I still wear a suit, but without the jacket and tie though haha.

I'm so paranoid now haha, I'm sure I will get sick with something, both me and the internet technician had to walk in fresh vomit in the strairs, TWICE and we walked all over my apartment. I tried to clean but I still feel like I don't want to touch anywhere.XD

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
10.000 confirmed cases in Germany now. and it's estimated that the real number of infections is up to ten times as high.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Well, on the bright side for me, I’m gonna attempt to quit smoking again in light of all this. Probably won’t do much to my odds since lungs take a few months to begin recovering I believe, but, uh, it’s a good motivator at least.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The good news is I could get two frozen pizzas at the supermarket today. :moneyrat:
Hmmmm. I could go for some pizza, but it was all empty last time I went :(

No pizza, no pasta, no rice, no toilet paper, no paracetamol, no eggs.... I could go on but suffice it to say it’s absurd.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Why doesn't it make more sense to isolate the people who are at probable risk, rather than everyone? Like if you're elderly, or have immune or respiratory issues, you might want to lay low for a bit, have family/friends/neighbors drop food off and provide support. There are fewer people to quarantine, and it seems like it would only really impact the people at most risk. Economic disruption would be far smaller, and you'd have fewer people panic buying and going without wages indefinitely.

For example I have very elderly family (90+), and a father in law who very recently had chemo and a bone marrow transplant, so his immune system is really bad. They should be staying home as much as possible, and I should go nowhere near them except maybe to drop off their groceries at the front steps. I don't understand why the broad measures are needed for everybody who is not at major risk.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
A bavarian city has just declared curfew until next month as the first in germany

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Schools closed until further notice in all UK starting Friday EOD, except for key workers' children (healthcare workers, police, delivery drivers etc.), and vulnerable ones (e.g. those who rely on free meals at school).

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
The good news is I could get two frozen pizzas at the supermarket today. :moneyrat:
I've been learning on how to make stupid good pizzas the last few months, so now I'm prepared for this. I've also started making them with dough that I've let ferment for way longer than usual, pretty much sourdough and I love them like that.

Cons, I can't find the tomato paste I liked using as an ingredient for the tomato sauce ever since this started.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Why doesn't it make more sense to isolate the people who are at probable risk, rather than everyone?
It depends on the countries, and time will tell which health policies were right.

You can do like South Korea: test everyone, and lock the sick people for ~20 days to avoid more transmission.

You can do like most European countries: lock everyone to have more time to find a cure and put less stress on medical staff. This is panic mode.

You can do like the UK: lock the vulnerable people, while others build immunity (at the cost of potentially many lives if vulnerable people dare go outside).

I don't understand why the broad measures are needed for everybody who is not at major risk.
It is panic mode as the hospitals are overwhelmed.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
40% of Germany seems to be reasonable and tries to isolate after work and other necessary tasks. The rest suddenly discovered the urgent need to spend every single second outside in groups, taking walks, buying refreshing ice cream, socializing like crazy. You see more people outside than on a Sunday.

While our government is too scared to intervene and keeps on explaining and pleading instead of taking action.

We are running out of time. Spain was already able to bring down the new infection rate to 17% (from ~24%), while germany manged to increased the infection rate to 28% (was 25.6% for weeks). /bravo
(and I understand that it takes time for the measures to take effect, but come on: Spain is already witnessing a delay, which is great!)

An Aunt from southern France wanted to visit my parents this eastern btw, so I called her to check if she canceled the flight and ask how she is doing.
She asked me if I'm sure that she should cancel the flight, it could be over in two weeks, after all.

I'm starting to loose my cool.

Well, on the bright side for me, I’m gonna attempt to quit smoking again in light of all this. Probably won’t do much to my odds since lungs take a few months to begin recovering I believe, but, uh, it’s a good motivator at least.
Can actually take years, if you were a heavy smoker for a long period. As Monooboe I manged to quiet smoking after a serious bronchitis many years ago. I was too ill to smoke and took the opportunity after I recovered. I started smoking at the age of 16 and quiet at 28. I still sometimes want to smoke while drinking coffee, after a good meal or other activities. It's crazy, though easily manageable now... after years.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The question about german infection numbers (which are set to overtake Spain and the Iran beginning next week, becoming global #3) is important tho:
Are we doing a worse job at supressing the spread of the plague or just doing a more rigorous job of testing and reporting numbers?
Likely a mix of both.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The question about german infection numbers (which are set to overtake Spain and the Iran beginning next week, becoming global #3) is important tho:
Are we doing a worse job at supressing the spread of the plague or just doing a more rigorous job of testing and reporting numbers?
Likely a mix of both.
We'll know in a year.
If you ask me: We should meanwhile act like the worst case scenario is happening. If the current data shows a ~28% infection rate, we should act appropriately.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The situation is as crazy as usual.
Country​
Total
Cases​
New
Cases​
Total
Deaths​
New
Deaths​
Serious,
Critical​
80,894​
+13​
3,237​
+11​
2,622​
35,713​
+4,207​
2,978​
+475​
2,257​
Iran
17,361​
+1,192​
1,135​
+147​
14,769​
+2,943​
638​
+105​
563​
12,327​
+2,960​
28​
+2​
2​
9,134​
+1,404​
264​
+89​
931​
8,413​
+93​
84​
+3​
59​
USA
8,335​
+1,924​
135​
+26​
12​
Switzerland​
3,115​
+373​
33​
+6​
UK
2,626​
+676​
104​
+33​
20​
Netherlands​
2,051​
+346​
58​
+15​
45​
Austria​
1,646​
+314​
4​
12​
Norway​
1,583​
+112​
6​
+3​
27​
Belgium​
1,486​
+243​
14​
+4​
33​
Sweden​
1,292​
+96​
10​
+2​
12​

Reactions: ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder why there have been so many deaths in the Netherlands compared to Germany or Belgium. The health ministry did basically say that there are way more cases than they are able to (or will) test for, but still. I would expect it to be the same for other countries. Perhaps they're focusing on testing the elderly when they call in to their GP with symptoms but not younger folks (until they get more seriously ill).

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
359 here now, 3 in ICU, 0 deaths. Comparing numbers is a bit odd to say the least with everyone doing things differently.

I think in Finland we only test people with severe symptoms, mild symptoms but in the risk group and medical staff.
It's estimated that the real number of infected here is anywhere between 10 and 20 times larger.

edit: Actually I got that wrong.
Officially, testing is prioritized for people with severe respiratory infection symptoms as well as medical and social welware staff. People with mild symptoms and those arriving from abroad are tested on case by case basis as per the judgement of the doctor handling the case. Asymptomatic folks aren't tested.

Also some interesting information about age groups that THL has on its website. It's in Finnish but you can probably understand what it means by context. The last bar is "age unknown".

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
To anyone still taking this lightly, my younger brother (who lives in Italy) shared news from Bergamo... they needed army tanks to bring out the dead to other cities, because not only the ICUs are overwhelmed, the crematoriums are, as well.
If you go crazy locked inside, if you now suddenly feel the urge to socialize, do it online, via phone... do not underestimate this virus for a second.

Bergamo, l'immagine choc: i camion dell'esercito attraversano il cuore della città con le bare dei morti per l'epidemia

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Mexico just confirmed the first covid death. Supposedly that person had diabetes and was chilling in some massive concerts.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
New cases in Spain should skyrocket starting this weekend as the testing process changes to one much faster and numerous.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Looks like my healthcare district is starting to test more in the hopes that they can nip it in the bud. Basically most of our epidemic areas are in southern Finland, and here up north we have been relatively virus free with just 5 cases in the entire Lapland I thnk and only 2 cases in my healthcare district.

So they are expanding the testing to include anyone with mild symptoms who has either been in close proximity with someone with a confirmed case or has returned from abroad in the last two week.

This also happened a few days ago but at least some of the local stores started doing the "morning hours for risk groups" thing.

Reactions: ISee
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
New cases in Spain should skyrocket starting this weekend as the testing process changes to one much faster and numerous.
Indonesia is preparing 'rapid tests' as well, and we'll probably see considerable spikes in the coming days.

We've only had a hundred or so tests per day so far, in a nation with 250 million of people. Pathetic.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Nice, because of the unprecedented amount of people we have already sent into Homeoffice, our office telephone Network and VPN are crashing under the traffic

:h02itsfine:

We are also being told to sent people home with their Desktop PC's and without VPN Access so they can work offline at home

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have to say, I really am glad I'm not homeless at this point. Like the place I used to sleep was few hundred people sleeping in bunk beds. But not only that, to eat and shower I had to use public places, all of which are closed now. Life has to be hell for the homeless right now.
I was thinking about them too, especially poorer parts of France and Italy.

Reactions: ISee and Le Pertti

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I have to say, I really am glad I'm not homeless at this point. Like the place I used to sleep was few hundred people sleeping in bunk beds. But not only that, to eat and shower I had to use public places, all of which are closed now. Life has to be hell for the homeless right now.
Yeah, damn.
Here in Brighton, we have a huge homeless community and, for some reasons, no shelters.
It's always been a peaceful coexistence, probably due to the fact that Brightonians are generally nice (and wealthy) people, and it was incredibly common to see people coming out from grocery stores dropping bags of food to the closest homeless person, or buying 2 coffees instead of 1, etc.
Every weekend, some charities had a whole soup kitchen set up in a super central location, instead of what happens usually with cities trying to hide this stuff; here is halfway between the station and the sea, so all the weekend tourist just have to cross it!

Now though... I don't think they're receiving much food or coffee, considering people are still stockpiling and stores are almost empty. 😢

Reactions: ISee and Le Pertti

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
My province confirmed yesterday there are 3 suspected cases (no confirmed) in my province but won't say if it's on the island I live on or not. But the government was pretty quick to jump on it.

Schools are closed until September at least, (rumors are it could be closed until December if needed), Hospital are on lock down, borders are closed and flights are all canceled.

The thing that really upsets me is I just got hired on a new job after months of unemployment and now I'm told I can't work until May at the EARLIEST. My dentist appointment was also delayed last minute from today to a month from now and my tooth hurts like hell so that's nice. Fuck you coronavirus.

Reactions: Swenhir

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
My province confirmed yesterday there are 3 suspected cases (no confirmed) in my province but won't say if it's on the island I live on or not. But the government was pretty quick to jump on it.

Schools are closed until September at least, (rumors are it could be closed until December if needed), Hospital are on lock down, borders are closed and flights are all canceled.

The thing that really upsets me is I just got hired on a new job after months of unemployment and now I'm told I can't work until May at the EARLIEST. My dentist appointment was also delayed last minute from today to a month from now and my tooth hurts like hell so that's nice. Fuck you coronavirus.
December! Holy shit!?

Reactions: Arsene

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Damn, dude. The things I take for granted sometimes.
Yeah, it sounds like it will be really rough for them. I did a bit of reading, and apparently few municipalities have around here have at least set up extra shelters and/or allow 24-hour stay. Seems like there will still be a lot of people in very close proximity to each other though.