|OT| Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) news & discussion - No, it's not just a flu

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

The International 2021 Ticket Sales Canceled
October 3, 2021

We have been carefully evaluating the continued rise of Covid rates in Romania, as well as the resulting introduction of new local restrictions in Bucharest. To ensure the safety of all players, talent, and production staff participating in the event, we have decided to refund all ticket sales for The International 2021. We wanted nothing more than to welcome fans live to the event, but we can no longer do so in a way that allows us to prioritize the health and well-being of both audience members and participants. Those who purchased tickets will be issued a full refund automatically. The International 2021 will begin as planned on October 7, and we look forward to welcoming the best Dota teams in the world to the stage and sharing the experience online with millions of fans around the world.
According to Reddit, these are the rules in Romania.

• Restaurants & bars will operate until midnight, at 50% capacity, for those fully vaccinated.
  • Stores will operate until 10 PM.
  • Sports competitions can be held until midnight, at 50% of the maximum capacity.
  • All participants must be fully vaccinated.
  • The mask is mandatory on the street / in all open spaces.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Cool. Things are looking pretty bad in Austria here, but Upper Austria in particular is probably just fucked. Daily new cases are dramatically rising. ICU already at its limit. No free respirators (unless some people die today). Lowest vaccination quote of the country. Local government decided it was more important to campaign for an election so Covid was on pause for a while for them and the governor continued to make a coalition with an anti-vax party who is continuing to spout anti-vax bullshit even now while the governer is just watching.
There are basically no measures anywhere and if there are no one is checking them.

Not that things are that much better anywhere else in the country, because our government continues to be a bunch of incompetent corrupt clowns. Only exception is Vienna which is doing well in comparison despite it having the highest population density, but only because their governor is taking things seriously and is more or less doing his own thing.
Health Workers are going on a (short) protest around lunch today because they are at their limit.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Things are looking pretty bad in Austria here
Ah I didnt know you are Austrian too! Carinthian here. I was just gonna write about our situation. Behind Gibraltar and our Southern neighbours, Slovenia, we're currently Nr. 3 in Europe when it comes to cases, and it is indeed grim right now.

Soooo we're gonna have yet another lockdown starting Monday – and mandatory vaccinations for everyone, starting February.
I'm really curious how this will go down. All the antivaxxers will surely be pissed and go demonstrate, but hopefully it will eventually help. And maybe other countries with low vaccination rates will take notice and adopt a similar policy.
In my opinion, it shouldve been done sooner. But better late than never, I suppose.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I just don’t understand people. Someone that is clearly sick is coughing like crazy in a cafe and of course without a mask. Why do people not stay home when they are sick?
Because they looked up the symptoms online and It's Not Covid!™

• Sad
Reactions: Le Pertti

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
We've been told by management that although we're doing 50/50 Work from home and office that if you have cough and sniffles do not come into work.
I'm going to look to book my booster shot this evening.
Yeah I've also just made a reservation for my booster shot now - it's been about exactly 4 months now so might as well.
First free appointment was only in ~2 weeks though, but hey. Probably a good idea to get it done before christmas/new year time with snow and coldness everywhere.
And here's hoping that the 3rd shot doesn't kick my butt as hard as the 2nd one, lol.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Just had my booster yesterday while I was off work for the day. Pretty similar to my first two shots and had no real symptoms other than I was sleepy earlier in the night than normal.

I learned of three more folks I knew who died from Covid, all under 50 and pretty confident all were unvaccinated. The youngest being 38. Yet my sister and sister-in-law's families still will not get the vaccines. Heck, my sister actually had Covid for a few weeks with severe symptoms whereas my vaccinated dad caught Covid and was fine within two days (other than it took almost 10 days to recover his smell and taste).

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
It's announced by Pfizer, of course they want people to take the booster shot. Not that I doubt it will not protect against Omicron, but let's wait for independent report.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I'll be getting my 3rd Pfizer shot tomorrow. Hopefully it won't hit me as hard as the 2nd shot, but regardless I'll be protected as good as currently possible against this shit. I think the report above still holds true?
That is, 3 Pfizer shots are not as effective against Omikron as they are against Delta, but still pretty good protection.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Reporting back, 3rd shot put me out of commission again, lol. Pretty much the same deal as the 2nd one except instead of the next day it started late the same day. Which could have technically been better since I figured I could just go to sleep earlier and was hoping it would be gone after waking up, except I didn't catch much sleep. Ugh.
Still have a headache, but things are better than yesterday already at least.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Reporting back, 3rd shot put me out of commission again, lol. Pretty much the same deal as the 2nd one except instead of the next day it started late the same day. Which could have technically been better since I figured I could just go to sleep earlier and was hoping it would be gone after waking up, except I didn't catch much sleep. Ugh.
Still have a headache, but things are better than yesterday already at least.
Look on the bright side, you just added Bluetooth to your Wi-Fi. You are posthuman.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Had my booster on wednesday 23rd, tried for weeks to get a booking via the site but in the end i only managed to book through the link my GP sent me.
Had AZ for my first two and Pfizer for the booster and i felt rough yesterday and didn't do much and feel a bit bleh today and my arm is still sore but i don't know how much of me feeling rough is down to me staying up until stupid hours of the early morning lately.

Still at least it's done. Wifi upgraded.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I thought the booking thing for England was insane and chaotic, and made more work than was necessary.

NHS Wales told people they couldn’t book and said we’d get an appointment before the end of the year. Yes the times are a little odd (had to be up at 6am to get mine) but it avoids chaos and I’ll go wherever and whenever they tell me to go.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
It was odd the site was odd. At first I could get through to book but the only available places were 40 miles away. I found if i selected "No access requirements" it would rarely give me anywhere available and when i clicked to book there would be no appointments available. If i selected say "Car Park required" then i could find somewhere within 10 miles but again when i clicked the link there would be no appointments. In the last few days of me trying i would be put in a queue and the site would crash when i went to select an appointment.

Luckily the link from my GP was great and gave me two days to choose from and a wide list of available times. Booked in a minute on my phone and i'm glad i got it this side of christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I am as sick as a dog. My arm aches, all my joints ache, I have a fever, sneezing, runny nose. Absolutely awful - far worse than when I had the AZ vaccine.
I had a groggy head, slight high temperature and aching all over too. I'm starting to feel a hell of a lot better tonight thankfully so it will pass but yeah this Pfizer stuff made me feel worse than either of the AZ shots i had.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Finally got an appointment for the booster. It's AZ so I fully expect it to kick my ass for a full day.
I found Pfizer worse than AZ. AZ wasn’t that bad, really.

Edit: Just remembered my second was Moderna, not Pfizer. So ignore the above!

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: NarohDethan

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I had 2 AZ and a PZ and the Pfizer wasn't as bad as the first AZ but made me feel bleh for longer.
edit: actually looking at my previous post i think PZ gave me a kicking then receeded but i felt meh for nearly a week afterwards rather than a few days with AZ.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Triple Pfizer here, the first one was barely noticeable, the 2nd and 3rd knocked me out completely for pretty much an entire day each.

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Triple Pfizer here, the first one was barely noticeable, the 2nd and 3rd knocked me out completely for pretty much an entire day each.
The first Pfizer only gave me a sore arm, the second one a sore arm, headache, a bit of fever and general malaise.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
I got my 3rd Pfizer a couple weeks ago and it hit me good. Was groggy with joint aches and a generous helping of arm pain at the injection site lol.

Worst of all is that boosters are only available at pharmacies and not vaccine clinics. And pharmacists are not good at it. I felt that needle slide into my arm slowly, and back out too lol.

All good now, I'm still social distancing though cause I'm a natural shut in.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Worst of all is that boosters are only available at pharmacies and not vaccine clinics. And pharmacists are not good at it. I felt that needle slide into my arm slowly, and back out too lol.
My first one got done by a guy who looked that he was trained for it. Felt nothing

The second one was done by a soldier and the dude basically stabbed me lmao

Reactions: Involution

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
My first one got done by a guy who looked that he was trained for it. Felt nothing

The second one was done by a soldier and the dude basically stabbed me lmao
Pretty crazy how much difference there is from person to person. I suppose the soldier never needed to be delicate during his career lol

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
From my first shot I got a huge rash, but it was mostly because I kept scratching so for the two other I knew not to. So I only just got a sore arm but no real other effects. Always worried me that something went wrong.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
From my first shot I got a huge rash, but it was mostly because I kept scratching so for the two other I knew not to. So I only just got a sore arm but no real other effects. Always worried me that something went wrong.

Not one of us! Not one of us!

• Toucan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Which one you got?

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Ew, my portion of the country just lifted covid restrictions. Think after my birthday passes I just won't go out anymore.

Reactions: Li Kao

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I got Moderna. I think that should be one of the ones that knocks people out?
I think Moderna and AZ are both very strong for some folks. But I heard about people getting knocked out with 2nd Pfizer so... who knows!

• Eyes