Q&A Old PC Parts: What to do?

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
I've got some older EVGA Nvidia graphics cards accrued from upgrading over the years, like a 460, a 560ti and soonish I'll be adding a 970 to that. I think there's an older Intel processor and some RAM around, too.

Do I sell them? If so, where's the best place? I don't have an ebay account but I guess I could start one (but having no buyer/seller history is a little sketchy, yeah?)

Should I just junk them? Donate them to a thrift store?

I used to have an older rig that laid around and would inherit old parts but the PSU caught fire and I had to toss most of it away. I'm not really interested in keeping one around anymore.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
That was my problem with older parts too. I really didn't want to use ebay and there's really nowhere nearby that I can take them. Thankfully I have a friend that isn't able to keep up with upgrades as much these days so I usually send stuff to him if he's interested. Sent my old 980ti to him as a Christmas gift last year.

However if the friend or family option isn't possible I'm sure you could probably find someone on here to take you up on that 970 when you're ready to get rid of it. And yeah like NarohDethan and lash said, donating to folks is a good option too.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Do I sell them? If so, where's the best place? I don't have an ebay account but I guess I could start one (but having no buyer/seller history is a little sketchy, yeah?)

Should I just junk them? Donate them to a thrift store?
yeah, try ebay ... or ask friends if they don't want to buy anything (or if they know anyone who would)

and if you don't think you won't get enough money to even bother - donate them somewhere ... you never know who might need something (no matter how old)

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
For parts I know nobody will ever want I try sellgpu.com

Already did business with them before. They give you a quote on the site, provide shipping materials if you need them, and you just wait a week or so for them to test it.
Never heard of that. I had this same exact question. I have this 760 laying around and I kinda don't want to junk it. But even if you handed it down to someone to start gaming, they'd need to upgrade their power supply so it's not quite a drop-in thing. I'm going to check out that site, thanks!

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
If enough spare parts accumulate could build spare computer from them to gift to family/loved ones.
I have one computer sitting waiting for PSU and GPU and it's ready for my parents.

OP
TheLetdown

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
TheLetdown is your 970 liquid cooled?????
Sorry, just saw this. Nope. It’s not.

I’m currently using it but looking to upgrade, but I’m at the point that if I upgrade my GPU, I also need to upgrade my CPU (i5-2500k) which would also necessitate a motherboard upgrade. So, it’s a chain that will happen when I go ahead and pull the trigger.