Community PC Gaming Show E3 2019 | Out of EGS Access 2020

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
id imagine if Pitchford were to appear the the vetting of the questions would have taken a while

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I wasn't able to watch -- did Epic get booed at all? Please say yes.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Managed to stomach most of it. The games and reveals themselves were pretty cool. But seeing Shenmue 3 as an Epic exclusive now was a huge kick in the nuts to the backers who supported the kickstarter :(

I asked my friend on Facebook and he has similar opinions.

The audience were cheering 80-90% of the time, even after the Shenmue 3 trailer.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
No boos.

But when the Auto Chess dev cheerfully said that it will be an EGS exclusive, there was first silence and then very few sad claps. That was so awkward and it must have been even worse for the guy than boos would have been. lmao

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I would not say they were very excited about Epic. More like a mild acceptance at best.

Delusi

Dec 21, 2018
EGS damage report: Auto Chess may secretly be the biggest get of the night for Epic, however, given that both Valve and now Riot is making their own version (with the latter looking set to enter public beta imminently), this is going to be a very crowded market very quickly. Surprised a third party not already involved with MOBAs haven't jumped on.

EGS passing on Evil Genius 2, a game with a cult following, but moneyhatting Zombie Army 4, a game I'm not sure many people are interested in, does strike me as weird. Surely they'd want both or neither, not this weird half-and-half which makes Rebellion look very dumb.

The biggest shocker is Telling Lies not officially getting moneyhatted, despite being both an Annapurna published title and the next game from the Her Story team. Out of all the indie games shown, that's the one I'm most surprised Epic (seemingly) passed on.

The biggest narrative out of this is probably going to Shenmue 3 (and What The Golf) officially confirming that crowdfunding videogames are dead, at least amongst PC gamers. With that said, I do also have to note that this showed the second time Deep Silver and Tripwire accepted a moneyhat for one of their published games. In Tripwire's case, I could make a devil's advocate argument in that Mordhau has probably already eaten Chivilary 2's launch, but it could also be an indication of a more broader trend towards EGS for both companies games moving forward.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if Saint's Row 5 and Killing Floor 3 are EGS exclusives, I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Silver lining: neither Dying Light 2 nor Elden Ring showed up. No indication that Techland, Square Enix, Bandai Namco or Sega are willing to accept Epic's moneyhats.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I remember the dev of Telling lies mentioning Steam twice and saying he loves it while being somewhat nervous about it to show his game is not going the EGS road.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I remember the dev of Telling lies mentioning Steam twice and saying he loves it while being somewhat nervous about it to show his game is not going the EGS road.
I mean, yeah, why wouldn't he be? He now has no guaranteed moneyhat to fall back on if the game doesn't hit on Steam/everywhere else but EGS. Still it does allow him to not have to jump through hoops explaining himself